PDA

View Full Version : Dalton Highway, Alaska

Cam
May 8th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Anyone been on this thing? Looks like the wife is going to Alaska to collect research samples in August. She's convinced me to be her porter. It looks pretty remote, somewhat dangerous and spectacular. The things I do for science. 666 km long! :hard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_Highway

Dicknose
May 8th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Haven't been that far up in Alaska.
I'll state some obvious points.

Satellite phone would be handy. 2way radio as used by truckers also useful.
Probably don't want to do too much night driving.
Probably want a 4wd, especially if you are going off the road.

Godson
May 8th, 2014, 10:03 AM
And a defense item of some sort.

I am not kidding about that recommendation

FaultyMario
May 8th, 2014, 10:18 AM
She's convinced me to be her porter.

Again?

FaultyMario
May 8th, 2014, 10:28 AM
And a defense item of some sort.

Should I Carry a Firearm?
Firearms are permitted for personal protection in the Dalton Highway Corridor although they are prohibited for sport hunting within 5 miles (8 km) either side of the highway. If you are inexperienced and cannot load, aim, and fire accurately in an emergency, you probably should not carry one. An injured bear may attack more violently or create a problem for other people.

Mr. Richard Nose is right about the CB, too.

It's all here: http://www.alaskageographic.org/uploads/pdf/dalton-vg2009.pdf

GB
May 8th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Again?
My first reaction. :up:

thesameguy
May 8th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Alaska is awesome in late summer, and with the climate the way it is, this year should be great. I understand the road is pretty bad in places, but my friend drives it in his Celica All-Trac so it isn't *that* bad. Another guy I know has driven it multiple times in a c900, FWIW. Still, there is probably some merit in having something with ground clearance if not a full-on truck.

That's a road trip I could personally really get behind - very jealous!

thesameguy
May 8th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Also, 3rded CB - don't leave civilization without one.

Godson
May 8th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Mr. Richard Nose is right about the CB, too.

It's all here: http://www.alaskageographic.org/uploads/pdf/dalton-vg2009.pdf

Defense item does not equate firearm.

http://www.rei.com/product/623173/counter-assault-bear-deterrent-spray-81-oz

FaultyMario
May 8th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I know, point being, that booklet covers EVERYTHING you ever needed to know about traveling on/around Dalton hwy.

There's couple of pages on dealing with bears, and pepper spray is mentioned.

Cam
May 10th, 2014, 12:06 PM
I was a bit vague with the initial post. You guys should know already that we're no stranger to adventure. We've pretty much got it planned already. 4x4 with CB and two spares already reserved for a week. We planned on getting bear spray. Bears are easy to scare away, as we've had to do it on our hiking trips. However, Lori mentioned something about some permit she should have applied for two months ago that may cause a snag. The only thing I'm concerned with is using the core driller to get the permafrost samples. The company she rented it from recommended we have an experienced person use it and that it does not work well in rocky soil. Should be an interesting trip. :)

I don't want to make it seem like we're complacent. Yes, we are concerned about wildlife and are careful. I am more concerned with being eaten by insects than by animals.

SkylineObsession
May 10th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Give a wave to any of the Ice Road Truckers camera crew if you see them, you might make it to TV. ;)

jimeez
May 11th, 2014, 06:07 AM
yeah make sure of the bug repellent. Every time you see a program from up there, the bugs are thick. Avon's Skin So Soft.

Would love to make a trek like that.

FaultyMario
May 12th, 2014, 10:00 AM
You guys should know already that we're no stranger to adventure. We've pretty much got it planned already.

Just don't forget the camera, then!

:assclown:

Cam
May 12th, 2014, 10:42 AM
:sadbanana:

speedpimp
May 12th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Why the sad banana?

Cam
May 13th, 2014, 03:49 AM
He's teasing me for forgetting my camera when Lori and I went camping in the Smoky Mountains last week. :o

FaultyMario
May 13th, 2014, 07:26 AM
You know I'm just jealous :up:

tigeraid
May 13th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Yeah, I was gonna point out, in the winter the Ice Road Truckers are all over this road, film crews everywhere, etc... I've never seen much of it in the summer though.

Cam
May 13th, 2014, 10:48 AM
That's because it's "Ice Road Truckers" not "Dirt Road Truckers." :lol: Oddly enough, there's more truck traffic on the "Haul Road" in winter. From Milepost: "...about 160 trucks daily in the summer months and 250 trucks daily in the winter." Although, I've read accounts that say you can sometimes go for hours without seeing another vehicle.

Random
May 14th, 2014, 08:48 AM
My coworker that did mineral exploration in Alaska for many years says that August is a great time to be out there; mosquito season is earlier in the summer. In fact, he commented that if you're still out there in late August, the trees may already start to change.

For maximum scenicnessment, he recommended the Brooks Range.

Cam
July 30th, 2014, 06:05 AM
We leave Sunday. Some plans have changed slightly since my last post. There's a research station at Toolik Lake (http://toolik.alaska.edu/). Lori has a colleague there that has agreed to take us to his research site, which is a 30 mile helicopter ride from the station. :rawk: Lori bought her own core driller. Looks like mosquito season is over, thankfully. Temperatures vary a lot between Fairbanks and Deadhorse. It will probably be close to freezing at night on the North Slope. Because it's summer, nights will be short. In Fairbanks today, the sun rises at 4:44 am and sets at 11:08 pm. It will be shorter than that at higher latitudes. We're going to camp for two nights in Denali NP. We have a 2011 Ford Escape reserved for the Dalton Highway. Should be a very interesting trip. :)

Kchrpm
July 30th, 2014, 07:02 AM
:up: If you find the Fortress of Solitude, don't tell anyone.

21Kid
August 1st, 2014, 08:50 AM
Have a good trip!

Cam
August 3rd, 2014, 04:51 PM
Adventure has already started. Plane from Minneapolis to Fairbanks was way overbooked. They asked for volunteers and offered vouchers for $1300 each to take the next day's flight. We're lounging at a hotel, got several free meals and drinks, plus we're flush in $2600. :)

KillerB
August 3rd, 2014, 05:26 PM
Just don't forget to use them!

21Kid
August 4th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Sweet!

Cam
August 19th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Kinda boring video chronicle of the trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_anFvggYWDE

speedpimp
August 19th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Nice.

XHawkeye
August 19th, 2014, 06:40 PM
and i thought Denali was just a GMC option package

Cam
May 27th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Going again this year. Bonus side trip: Juneau.

thesameguy
May 27th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Juneau know what jour doing!!!

SkylineObsession
May 30th, 2016, 09:25 PM
:smh:

Could've given me a chance to say that tsg. ;)

thesameguy
June 1st, 2016, 08:59 AM
Sorry man! Had I known I would have waited. :up:

LHutton
June 6th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Anyone been on this thing? Looks like the wife is going to Alaska to collect research samples in August. She's convinced me to be her porter. It looks pretty remote, somewhat dangerous and spectacular. The things I do for science. 666 km long! :hard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_Highway

It features heavily in Ice Road Truckers. Yes, it's potentially dangerous unless you really know what you're doing on ice. Probably some vids on YouTube. Mind you, it is summer.