PDA

View Full Version : Salty/Spicy Snacks aka something for TSG to drool over.

speedpimp
May 8th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I noticed that Doritos has three new "test flavors" available now. I tried #404(Yellow bag) and liked them a lot. You can taste a hint of lime on the front end but it doesn't overpower the tastiness of the rest of it. The bags are silver with either a yellow, blue or red insert and the test flavor number.

thesameguy
May 9th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Color me intrigued! Wishing I spent more time in gas stations this last weekend... :D

thesameguy
May 9th, 2014, 09:41 AM
http://www.eonline.com/news/536821/we-taste-tested-doritos-new-mystery-flavors-here-are-our-completely-uncensored-opinions-of-each

Looks like I have something to do this weekend! :D

thesameguy
May 9th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Got all three!

The yellow ones are very good. A coworker suggested the flavor is ginger, and I think he's right. I thought it was lime at first, but after a few I was definitely getting a ginger vibe.
The red ones are GREAT. It's like Sriracha at first, but gives way to a smooth, spicey flavor. These are probably the best, but the yellow ones are damned good.
The blue ones are lame. Not bad, just not good. They taste like a slightly flavored corn ship, like someone shook up Doritos leftovers in a bag of plain chips.

My takeaway is that:

Yellow is Asian themed
Red is Mexican themed
Blue is British themed

:lol:

GreatScawt
May 10th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Did you have the blue ones last? Or with anything to conflict with their flavor? My coworker and I tried them first and got a chipotle vibe from them, but they are very muted. They have a nice heat build up as well.

Agreed with yellow and red. Asian and Mexican are the best ways to describe it I guess. Definitely got the lime flavor from red. I couldn't put my finger on yellow exactly, but it had some sort of other cirtus-y sauce flavor?

thesameguy
May 10th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I went back to the blue a while later, and did indeed change my opinion. They have a sweetness to them that finishes spicey, maybe like a mole flavor. By themselves, they are actually super tasty... they just can't stand against really strong flavors. I think if I had to eat a whole bag of Doritos, I'd go with them!

speedpimp
May 10th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I tried the red bag today. Really good. I'll give the blue a go next week.

FaultyMario
June 4th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Are TAKIS available in the U.S.? Widely or just at the mexican marketas?

thesameguy
June 4th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Pretty widely available I'd say - definitely at a good selection of convenience stores.

I've tried two varieties, and one of them was, well, revolting. It tasted like the flavor packet from chicken flavor Top Ramen. Ick. I don't have a specific recollection of the other, but I think they are where Doritos go the Dinamita idea.

FaultyMario
June 4th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I had the Guac variety, pretty much on the gross side of snacks.

thesameguy
June 4th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I guess this is the product line:

http://takisusa.com/img/mar13/flavors.png

The purple ones - Fuego - taste like Top Ramen powder and are wretched. It's not the flavor (though it's not great) so much as the salt assault, which is unbearable.

The black ones - Nitro - taste more or less like you'd expect them to. Habanero isn't a good flavor, and fake lime isn't a good flavor, but they aren't the craptastropiece the purple ones are.

I haven't tried the others, but if we know Guac, Nitro, and Fuego aren't worth it, then I'm guessing none of them are.

When I want rolled corn snack, it's gonna be Dinamita.

My Taki image search led me to:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/taste-test-takis-vs-dinamita-review.html

Which is a page full of lies. The Chile Limon Dinamita is infinitely better than the Fuego Takis - there is a similarity, surely, but the Doritos product isn't disgustingly salty, it's good. I agree that the Takis may have a superior texture, but once it's buried under that horrible flavor it doesn't really matter anymore. I can't see how seven people of rational mind upvoted those Takis flavors, so I think their taste testers are damaged in the cabeza.

thesameguy
August 20th, 2014, 07:03 PM
So Lays has another customer-submitted taste contest thing going on. I've been totally unsuccessful in finding any of them until tonight, when I found cappuccino-flavored regular Lays. They are pretty good. They taste vaguely like a cappuccino meringue thing a local bakery makes, but are a lot easier to eat. Coffee flavored potato chips don't make any intellectual sense, but the actual product is remarkably tasty.There are also mango salsa, bacon mac & cheese, and wasabi ginger flavors (ostensibly). I think we all know which one I'd like to find. :D

Drachen596
August 21st, 2014, 03:44 AM
the Mango Salsa ones while good are way too fruity tasting imo.

Mac & Cheese would benefit from being ridged/ruffles style and are pretty good.

Wasabi Ginger are probably the best imo though need a bit more wasabi flavor instead of just the heat from it.

i havent found the Cappuccino/coffee flavored ones yet but the cute gas station girl said that she thought they were nasty.

speedpimp
August 24th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Picked up an order of the Doritos nacho triangles from 7-11(4/$1.99). They are fucking exquisite. Just imagine a Dorito filled with warm nacho cheese.

Yw-slayer
August 24th, 2014, 06:22 AM
I'm well into the Ostrim and Tanka strips/jerky.

speedpimp
August 25th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Tried a bag of the mango salsa Lays yesterday. They were pretty good.

thesameguy
September 28th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I have now tried the entire new Lays test taste, and it's a miserable failure. The mango ones are too fruity, the mac & cheese ones taste too much like spam, the ginger/wasabi ones are way too much ginger and not nearly enough wasabi, and the cappuccino ones are... passable. I am highly disappointed, because at least three of these should have made for an awesome chip, and the best one is the one you probably don't actually want, and it's just ok. This is clearly not a case of bad ideas but rather poor execution. Lays should be ashamed.

speedpimp
September 30th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Doritos Ranch Dipped Hot Wings are pretty damned good.

I have seen Bacon Pringles but haven't taken the plunge yet.

GreatScawt
September 30th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I picked these up yesterday
http://www.herrs.com/images/products/Honey-Sriracha-Extra-Crunchy-Kettle.png
The burn is slow and real.

Highly recommended :up:

Edit: Aaaand I just realized perhaps these aren't sold in all 50 states. Sorry for the tease.

GreatScawt
September 30th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Doritos Ranch Dipped Hot Wings are pretty damned good.

I have seen Bacon Pringles but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Both sound damn tasty. Want.

speedpimp
October 7th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Salsa Verde Doritos. VERY tasty and a very nice flavor.

thesameguy
October 7th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Quite fond of those - I can't eat too many of them at once though, which is not a bad deal. ;)

Yw-slayer
October 7th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Tanka Bars are awesome.

Drachen596
October 7th, 2014, 11:56 PM
there's some new Jacked Doritos i've been seeing here. Spicy Street Taco.

they're not bad.

thesameguy
October 8th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Agreed - they don't hold a candle to the enchilada ones (which may be the best tortilla chip ever made), but they are good. The whole Jacked like is actually quite awesome!

FaultyMario
February 5th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Slightly related: The day McD dissed the tamales. (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/04/mcdonalds-mexico-facebook-ad-tamales)

thesameguy
February 5th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Man, tamales are not to be messed with. I don't care how good your burrito is, it ain't gonna replace tamales.

George
February 5th, 2015, 12:25 PM
When I first moved to Colorado, I had never had a tamale before. I worked for a company that used to bring in catered lunches every so often and one day we got a huge pile of tamales that were pounced on like an elephant thrown in a pirahna tank.

I removed the tin foil from one and tried to bite into corn husk the first time. Once I got past that embarassment, I couldn't believe I had never even seen one my whole life back east.

I still don't know what's in 'em, but, as a wise man once said, them shits is delicious!

thesameguy
February 5th, 2015, 02:24 PM
I don't know if it happens elsewhere, but in California there are door to door tamale salespeople. Usually they go to businesses, rarely a stranger, usually someone who knows someone, but they go door to door and take orders. Couple days later, you have tamales. Years ago our "bagel lady" (used to deliver bagels in the morning) would three or four times a year take tamale orders and they were good. In Davis, our receptionist's mother made and they were AMAZING. When she quit I was devastated. The gas station by my office now has a small taco & burrito operation attached and they will also take tamale orders but I haven't been able to put the time together to make my pickup reliably as they're only open like four hours daily. I am getting hungry thinking about it!

George
February 5th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I'm going to give you the Tamale Hongries even more. Near my house is a restarant called the Tamale Kitchen. They make standard fare like burritos and tacos and chile-smothered burgers to order, but they always have a couple covered steam tables with mild and hot tamales ready to go with no waiting.

It's like the Soup Nazi place on Seinfeld - place your order, hand over your cash, take three steps to the right, and someone will hand you steaming-hot tamales wrapped in foil, in a thin paper bag that always dissolves from the steam, humidity, and dripping hot water before I get them home. Juggling the scalding hot foil package from my car to the kitchen is part of the fun.

Next time I have a working camera in my possesion (long story there - kids broke our digital camera, I - or they, GRRR - lost my cell phone charging cable, the dog ate my homework, etc.) I'll post a drool-worthy picture of some tasty tamales from right down the street with no waiting.

JoshInKC
February 6th, 2015, 04:48 AM
Man, tamales are not to be messed with. I don't care how good your burrito is, it ain't gonna replace tamales.

QfT. We don't have door-to-door tamales here in KC that I know of, but we do have have people who set up small stands (usually in the back of pickup trucks) in business parking lots with coolers full of them. But in the town I partially grew up in, the local Spanish mass Catholic church does tamale fund raisers twice a year. It's sort of like girl scout cookies, where you order them and then like 2 weeks later they drive around delivering van-fulls of tamales.
They are invariably delicious. Also, I think this service is the primary reason my dad owns a big chest freezer.

RE George's comment: My wife also tried to eat the corn husk the first time she ordered a tamale. I wasn't paying attention and just assumed everybody knew how they worked until she said, "I like the filling, but I think the husk is over cooked. It's too tough."

thesameguy
February 6th, 2015, 08:29 AM
we do have have people who set up small stands (usually in the back of pickup trucks) in business parking lots with coolers full of them.

I don't understand why we don't have that here. All around there is (including some best-ever in Chico) but not in Sac. It is a little disappointing.

George's comment: My wife also tried to eat the corn husk the first time she ordered a tamale. I wasn't paying attention and just assumed everybody knew how they worked until she said, "I like the filling, but I think the husk is over cooked. It's too tough."

It's GOLD. :up:

Yw-slayer
February 6th, 2015, 08:32 AM
This is the only thread that really fits discussion of these, although I can't see TSG drooling over them.

The Quest Protein Chips are actually quite enjoyable, for "healthy" chips with tons of protein. The BBQ flavour is definitely the best (I'd say 8.5/10, almost identical to "normal" BBQ potato chips with a bit of whey/milk taste in the interior). Sour Cream and Cheddar is OK, but isn't as good (maybe 6.5/10). I haven't bothered to try the other flavours as they have gotten dismal reviews.

Kchrpm
February 6th, 2015, 08:47 AM
I didn't know a tamale was a prepared dish until this discussion. I guess I'll try one eventually.

thesameguy
February 6th, 2015, 11:10 AM
This is the only thread that really fits discussion of these, although I can't see TSG drooling over them.

The Quest Protein Chips are actually quite enjoyable, for "healthy" chips with tons of protein. The BBQ flavour is definitely the best (I'd say 8.5/10, almost identical to "normal" BBQ potato chips with a bit of whey/milk taste in the interior). Sour Cream and Cheddar is OK, but isn't as good (maybe 6.5/10). I haven't bothered to try the other flavours as they have gotten dismal reviews.

Other Ingredients: Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), Dried Potatoes, Corn Starch, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Contains less than 2% of the following: Tomato Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Spices, Salt, Paprika Extract (Color), Yeast Extract, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavors

Salty protein drink with potatoes?

I imagine if you need to cut carbs, it's the way to go. From a salt/calorie perspective, they seem equivalent to something like Pop Chips.

JoshInKC
February 6th, 2015, 12:23 PM
I didn't know a tamale was a prepared dish until this discussion. I guess I'll try one eventually.

Yeah, they're great, and pretty much a standard dish at most "real" Mexican resturants, if you have them in your neck of the woods. Not that I'm sure those really exist anywhere north or east of KC. Best practice is to look for the places full of day laborers and contractors. It's also a good sign if they're open till after the bars close.
The various central american versions are also really good, they're often wrapped in bananna leaves, rather than corn husks.

Kchrpm
February 6th, 2015, 01:00 PM
So if you order them, you only eat the inside?

Random
February 6th, 2015, 01:14 PM
So if you order them, you only eat the inside?

Yeah, the husk is just there to keep the dough and filling from going some place while they cook.

Topical (and brings up the McDees incident described earlier): http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2015/02/a-briefing-on-the-eating-of-tamales/385196/

thesameguy
February 6th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Yeah, they're great, and pretty much a standard dish at most "real" Mexican resturants

Like chile relleno. Delicious!!!

JoshInKC
February 6th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Well after this thread, I am about dying of hunger. Therefore, I'm going out and get a torta, some tacos al pastor, and a tamale or two.
Because I'm a pig.

thesameguy
February 6th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I had never had al pastor til an ex of mine introduced us. For some reason it really doesn't go well with anything but a taco, but a traditional street taco with meat, onion, and cilantro with a little lime on a warm corn tortilla is about heaven.

On the subject, another thing I never associated with "Mexican food" is potatoes. Of course there's California burritos, but I always thought that was a cultural hybrid. I guess it's not, because she made kickass potato tacos that I miss oh so dearly.

FaultyMario
February 6th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Therefore, I'm going out and get a torta, and a tamale or two.

Just ask for a Guajolota. (http://www.diariodemexico.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Guajolota.jpg) [gwɑ-hol-ɑtɑ]

thesameguy
February 6th, 2015, 02:56 PM
In the guajolotas range is also the tamal guajolota in Oaxaca state. Part of the tradition is to drink hot atole when eating a guajolota.

Atole is made by toasting masa on a comal (griddle), then adding water that was boiled with cinnamon sticks.

HWAT????

Must find.

JoshInKC
February 6th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Just ask for a Guajolota. (http://www.diariodemexico.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Guajolota.jpg) [gwɑ-hol-ɑtɑ]

I absolutely must find this somewhere in town. Also, Atole is awesome.

speedpimp
February 6th, 2015, 04:46 PM
I've never had really good tamales. When I've had them they have always came in a can.

When I was straightening shelves at work on Weds I noticed that we sell canned Menudo. Might have to try it some time.

JoshInKC
February 7th, 2015, 06:31 AM
So that turned out to have maybe been a little mistake...
The wife and I went out to this place (http://www.elcaminorealkck.com/index.html), which is sort of our "home" mexican place, being that the Argentine location is about 7 minutes from my house and dirt cheap. Like usual during dinner hours, it was a bit busy and noisey- I order 3 tacos al pastor, 1 taco rajas(grilled poblano pepper, onion, cheese), 1 pork tamal, and a side of rice. My wife orders 1 al pastor taco, a fish taco, a sope, and her own rice. Part-way through taking the order (immediately after I ordered the rajas), the waitress's pen runs out of ink and she has to get a new one, but I don't really think anything of it at the time. When she had a fresh pen, she came back to the table and said "How many tacos?" Trying to be clear because it was noisey, I said "cuatro," and held up 4 fingers.

What shows up at our table a few minutes later? 1 sope, 1 tamal, 1 rice, 1 fish taco, 4 al pastor tacos, and 4 rajas tacos. See, I thought she was asking how many total tacos I ordered, but she was really asking how many rajas tacos.

So, when confronted with way more food than I had meant to order, what did I do? Obviously, I ate it.
All of it.

As of 13 hours later, there haven't been any real consequences yet, but I can feel it brewing. Let it be known that eating the better part of a pound of grilled peppers, onions, and cheese-- no matter how mild the peppers might be, could be a mistake.

pl8ster
February 12th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Okay, it's been over five days. Have you recovered?

thesameguy
February 12th, 2015, 12:56 PM
History teaches us there is never such as too many tacos. Got six on my desk right now.

JoshInKC
February 12th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Weirdly, there seemed to be no real effects. No "excessive" trips to the bathroom or fire shooting from me or anything. I guess it just integrated into my system or something.
So, tsg is apparently correct. there is no such thing as too many tacos.

speedpimp
March 1st, 2015, 01:42 PM
Yesterday my neighbor brought over two jars of Scary Cherries (http://scarycherries.com/)(Ghost and Scorpion pepper varieties). The sweetness of the cherries is very good as masking the heat of the peppers. The Ghost has a little kick to it but the Scorpion has a real kick to it. They also have a Carolina Reaper flavor.

speedpimp
March 22nd, 2015, 11:42 AM
My neighbor made some brownies with Carolina Reaper peppers. They were really good.

thesameguy
March 23rd, 2015, 09:51 AM
Can't go wrong with chocolate and peppers, that's fo sho!

speedpimp
March 23rd, 2015, 03:32 PM
These were sublime. It was just a Duncan Hines box mix but the balance was perfect. After the initial sweetness there was a slight taste of hot. The longer you kept it in your mouth the more prevalent the hot became.

Yw-slayer
March 24th, 2015, 02:52 AM
Damn, sounds good mate.

Drachen596
March 27th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Local hispanic grocery store has its own Qdoba/Chipolte style restaurants. 'homemade' Chorizo that they make themselves. oh so good.

speedpimp
March 27th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I've been buying Chorizo and other types of sausage(Easter, Dyngus, Loaded Baked Potato, Cajun) from the market where I work. Really good stuff. They even did a Cherry Sweetheart Sausage during Valentine's.

speedpimp
May 13th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Had a chance to try Dorito's Roulette the other day. It's a bag of normal nacho flavored Doritos with a few hotter ones thrown in for good measure(hence the name). The bag even comes with a "Some are WAY hotter than others" warning on it. The hot ones weren't really all that much hotter than the normal ones.

thesameguy
May 13th, 2015, 11:14 AM
That is disappointing, but I guess understandable. Don't need people who aren't prepared melting their faces off. :)

That reminded me that someone brought these into the office the other day:

http://www.cosmoscreations.com/store/products/spicy-sriracha/

There are DELICIOUS. I don't really care for popcorn, and these aren't popcorn. Good texture and a great flavor - not sure it's really all that sriracha-y, but very good nonetheless.

George
May 13th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Next time I have a working camera in my possesion (long story there - kids broke our digital camera, I - or they, GRRR - lost my cell phone charging cable, the dog ate my homework, etc.) I'll post a drool-worthy picture of some tasty tamales from right down the street with no waiting.

It occurs to me I have a new camera now, and I haven't had a tamale in a long time.

thesameguy
May 13th, 2015, 12:55 PM
GIT ER DONE.

Kchrpm
June 4th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Ok, I had tamales today. One chicken, one pork. The pork was spicier and therefore better, but both were good. It was not what I was expecting, I thought there'd be more inside (being accustomed to burritos/fajitas), but I am a tamale supporter now regardless.

thesameguy
June 4th, 2015, 11:59 AM
EXCELLENT!

Tamales are indeed simple, but it's their simplicity that makes a good one so much better than a bad one. When you don't have many components involved, you gotta get each of them right.

Yesterday the office kitchen smelled like tamales and I was in heaven even though I didn't have one. Today it smells like leftover Italian food. Although I like Italian food a lot, I have a hard time separating the smell of cheese and tomato sauce from the smell of puke, so now my Rockstar is warm.

George
June 4th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Yes, they're small. That's why you need a pile of them, not just two. Or think of them as tapas, and have a couple tamales along with something(s) else.

My brother-in-law is coming to town for the weekend tomorrow from back east. I might have to drop by the Tamale Kitchen again, and see if he bites into the corn husk like so many clueless east coast rubes.

Signed,

A clueless east coast rube, but working on it

George
June 18th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I remember as though it were a meal ago.

We have a lady from Nepal in our group at work. Yesterday she brought in Chicken Curry for everyone. The only other guy left on this team and I polished off the last of it, being sure to get all the sauce out of the pan after the ladies had surrendered.

Last night I woke up at 3:00 and thought I was going to expire, Elvis-style. I managed to get back to sleep, but this morning I woke up to the most searing acid reflux and/or indigestion feeling I can remember since 2013, when I suffered a series of what I believe were stress-induced panic attacks from doing about eight people's jobs. It was like I had swallowed a quart of napalm. I almost considered driving my car to work instead of riding the bicycle with drop bars that fold me in half right where my stomach hurt the most.

Well, I made it here, had some Chamomile Tea at the recommendation of my partner in crime and some blueberry yogurt and carrots I brought in with me. Around mid-morning I was feeling okay. That's when I got the news: today's lunch is Nepali Chili Chicken. I'm eating it now, sweating profusely, and wondering if I'll get any sleep at all tonight.

Life is good!

*mops brow and takes another bite*

thesameguy
June 18th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Murica, FO SHO.

Kchrpm
June 19th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Had tamales again today. The first time was not a fluke, but it REALLY requires well seasoned meat. I don't think they will at any time replace a fajita burrito in my heart.

Edit: oh, or I could have tamales with sizzling fajita stuff on the side and have them together...hmmm...

Godson
June 21st, 2015, 04:18 PM
http://www.foodbeast.com/news/heres-how-to-make-cheese-stuffed-doritos/

speedpimp
June 28th, 2015, 08:43 AM
I was doing some shopping at work the other day when I noticed that we carried Larry The Cable Guy Tater Chips. I bought two bags(Biscuits N Gravy and Hollar-Peno Poppers). The only taste I noticed with the Biscuits N Gravy was pepper, that was the only thing I could taste. The Hollar-Peno ones taste like sour cream n onion at first with a slight jalapeno taste on the back end.

Cam
June 28th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Every few weeks I buy a bag of Kettle Brand Maple Bacon Chips. The only chips I buy these days:

http://www.kettlebrand.com/our_products/potato_chips/#/our_products/potato_chips/?pid=59

Kchrpm
June 28th, 2015, 10:19 AM
I had Lamb Do Piaza at an Indian restaurant last night, it had repercussions that I don't remember experiencing before. Nothing major, but it reminded me consistently through this morning.

speedpimp
June 28th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Every few weeks I buy a bag of Kettle Brand Maple Bacon Chips. The only chips I buy these days:

http://www.kettlebrand.com/our_products/potato_chips/#/our_products/potato_chips/?pid=59

Never knew they had such a variety.

Cam
July 4th, 2015, 04:42 AM
There's a restaurant nearby that apparently makes a burger with grilled cheese sandwiches as the bun.

FaultyMario
July 4th, 2015, 10:55 AM
KK Wa Tes + Valentina.

Goodness!

FaultyMario
July 4th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Never knew they had such a variety.

That reminds me, back in Tabasco we used to be able to go to Wally's grab a peperoncini tube for our meals, it was good. Hot and spicy. Back in Oaxaca I've only seen peperoncini in "world table" branding at the local WM, do you know if it's any good?

speedpimp
July 4th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Never really paid that much attention to peperoncinis. Is Great Value the store brand in MX?

FaultyMario
July 4th, 2015, 02:31 PM
They have both. GV being the lowlier.

speedpimp
July 4th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Okay. Never heard of the World Table label before.

speedpimp
July 18th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Got a chance to try Kettle's Pepperoncini chips today. Not bad but not as good as their Jalapeno flavor.

speedpimp
July 30th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Tried Doritos Jacked 3D Bacon Cheddar Ranch today. Pretty darned good.

thesameguy
July 30th, 2015, 05:20 PM
I have been looking for those but I haven't found them. All the Jacked chips so far have been top notch. The Enchildas version might be my favorite tortilla chip ever.

Kchrpm
December 11th, 2015, 08:50 AM
My burrito today was accidentally made with lettuce replacing the cilantro. So bland. Almost couldn't finish it, it was so disappointing. Never again.

Quite often I will have one pork tamale and one pork taco. $3.99 and enough for a simple meal. And delicious.

thesameguy
December 11th, 2015, 09:20 AM
A lack of cilantro is definitely grounds for dismissal!

Last night we sat outside in the cold with chorizo burritos at the all-night Mexican food place after the PMJ show in town. I really miss living downtown, close to places like that. So cool just sitting on the street at midnight watching life go by. Plus, chorizo.

OTOH, it's a lot less expensive now that we're not eating a fourth meal every day. Heh.

Godson
December 11th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I love me some fourth meal time.

speedpimp
December 12th, 2015, 04:29 AM
Delivered to a Chili's yesterday. They had ordered two cases of cilantro. Grabbed two of the cases off of the stack on the skid and took them inside and put them in their cooler. Went back out to get the next load and by the time I get back inside two employees are talking about how the cilantro doesn't smell right. I walk back in the cooler and realize why the cilantro doesn't smell right, it's because it was parsley(which was meant for the next delivery at a TGI's directly across the street). Oops, my bad. The parsley and cilantro come in identical boxes and they were all in the same stack. Heh.

speedpimp
December 12th, 2015, 04:35 AM
At work we sell an amazing amount of sausage and brats. Last week I decided to see what we had in the case and walked out with Cranberry-walnut sausage, habanero sausage(which is pretty damned good), loaded baked potato sausage, sage dressing stuffed sausage(left over from Thanksgiving) and Christmas sausage(Polish sausage that is HEAVILY garliced). Not a clunker in the bunch.

thesameguy
December 12th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Man, I could really go for some tubular meat right now. I don't think we've got any in the house at all.

speedpimp
December 12th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Bought a couple tubes of liver sausage. Took one out of the freezer and realized that it would do a lot of damage if it hit somebody. Shit was frozen solid.

overpowered
January 19th, 2016, 09:11 PM
I tried this today and I agree with the author that the meat is still a problem. Other than that, it was a big improvement over the normal McD's. Also, a bit pricier.

http://ny.eater.com/2015/8/4/9097115/create-your-taste-review-sietsema

speedpimp
February 28th, 2016, 04:08 AM
Lay's is doing something called "Flavor Swap" and has a new flavor called "Fiery Roasted Habanero". Tried them yesterday and they are pretty darned good.

FaultyMario
March 3rd, 2016, 07:47 PM
I realized you can get fancy and make some salty/spicy/mouthwatering escalivada/pisto/ratatouille, keep it in the fridge and just serve some on a slice of bread/potato/cucumber as needed.

Yw-slayer
July 3rd, 2016, 04:00 AM
I'm not sure if this fits here, but I didn't feel like starting a burger thread.

http://www.businessinsider.com/theres-an-international-in-n-out-knockoff-chain-opening-in-california-heres-how-it-compares-to-the-real-thing-2016-7

LOL.

From the article:

P.S. On Yelp, business owner Roy N. says CaliBurger is “not trying to be like any other burger restaurant,” so I could be completely off-base on this whole In-N-Out comparison thing. My bad, Roy."

I have eaten at Caliburger twice in HK. It is horrible.

thesameguy
July 3rd, 2016, 08:39 AM
I really don't care for In & Out, so I am interested in trying this place now. :lol:

Yw-slayer
July 3rd, 2016, 09:40 PM
:lol:

speedpimp
July 4th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Tried BK's Mac N Cheetos. Pretty much meh.

thesameguy
July 6th, 2016, 08:39 AM
There was a brief period where BK was my go-to fast food. Even got them to special make quadwhoppers for us, which, well, you know.

But I feel like not only their quality but their ingenuity took a backslide around 10 years ago. Not sure what that's about.

thesameguy
July 6th, 2016, 08:41 AM
That reminds me, ever had these:

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/snack/other-snack/coyote-droppings-caramelized-cheetos.html

?

FaultyMario
July 7th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Is salsa huichol sold North of the yuge magnificent wall?

It goes well with everything.

thesameguy
July 7th, 2016, 02:32 PM
I don't think I have ever heard of that, but it looks like Amazon carries it. I will have to see if local places carry it. Good timing, as I'm out of hot sauce at the moment. :)

FaultyMario
December 13th, 2018, 11:27 AM
https://twitter.com/PatiJinich sometimes post recipes and links to step-by-step YT tutorials.

FaultyMario
March 17th, 2021, 02:08 PM
I did not know that in Mexico City, there were "official" band snacks after a concert.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ewtqmm-WgA8v_2A.png

Why have you forsaken meee... fooooorsaken meeeeeeee?

JoshInKC
March 17th, 2021, 02:53 PM
I would be excited for the official tamales of The Cure.

Tom Servo
March 17th, 2021, 06:56 PM
Sign me up for the Tamales of the Beast.

FaultyMario
September 11th, 2021, 07:59 AM
Literally nobody:

New York Times:
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/09/15/dining/10Tortizza1/10Tortizza1-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg
"We in New York concocted a great variation on the tortilla by treating it like a flatbread, we call it the tortizza and we put nasty toppings on it, because we are obtuse idiots".

Mexico:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgF8nJNO-Bg

speedpimp
September 11th, 2021, 10:14 AM
I've been seeing displays for the Paqui "One Chip Challenge" whenever I go to Meijer stations. I just can't bring myself to try it.

FaultyMario
March 22nd, 2024, 05:37 PM
Justin: Atomix are better than Takis.

Ps. I miss you.

Yw-slayer
March 24th, 2024, 05:59 AM
Fried fish skin, represent.

Fried fish skin with salted egg yolk coating, also represent.