PDA

View Full Version : Hello again!

Ali
May 16th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Not sure how many will remember me from the old GTX forum and long before that, back to the original granturismo.com forums. Haven't been doing as much gaming recently so let the gaming forums reduce to just one regular hang out but Alan P recently got in touch pointing me to where everyone went to and it's amazing to see how many of the old usernames I recognise. The original forum was my first ever experience of an online community so I still hold a soft spot for it.I think I still had my Civic Type R (EP3) when I was last on here? Been a bit of a JDM trawl since then...

2001-2004 Civic Type R

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/340035_10150287521999737_1222679_o.jpg

Still the longest I ever kept a car, just, though more due to financial constraints than choice. Really not the best hot hatch that so many think it is. Horrible lift off oversteer, terrible build quality (yup, Honda UK put them together as well as they put Rovers, Austins and Triumphs in years gone by....) numb steering and headache inducing refinement. Still, the engine and gearbox were nice....

2004-2007 Mazda RX8 230

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t31.0-8/332535_10150287522129737_1581803_o.jpg

Brilliant car. Miles better than the Civic. An ex demo with all the options including the slightly dubious bodykit. Had a few reliability gremlins but I put those down to being a demo and being flooded when it was younger leading to the catalyst imploding eventually! Second best handling car I've ever owned, only beaten by....

2007-2009 Mazda RX8 PZ

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/336_41945554736_3007_n.jpg

Take a stock RX8 230, give it to Prodrive to upgrade, and this is what you get. No more power, some OZ alloys that have the single virtue of not corroding like the OEM ones, but a chassis to die for. The best handling car I've ever owned, and it still rode as well as the stock car. I really miss this one. But a few bad winters made me give in and go to.....

2009-2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 330S

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/5411_137733209736_4649803_n.jpg

The great benefit of economic collapses is dealers suddenly panicking and getting rid of gas guzzlers and performance models at practically cost price. Got a massive reduction on this new which made it cheaper than a Golf GTi! 330bhp Prodrive upgrade as well as their "handling" springs pack. Great engine with massive amounts of mid range grunt. But very average handling with understeer like it's going out of fashion, even with the upgrades, and an engine with the weakest pistons known to man. Sure enough, after a mere 20,000 miles, piston 3 surrendered, the engine blew and I had a 3 month fight with Subaru to get a new short block under warranty, only won because I could use my tracker companies data to show I didn't drive it like a lunatic....though the dealers did when they were meant to be "diagnosing" it. So, bitter taste in the mouth, once it was fixed I got shot of it for...

2011-now Mitsubishi Evo X FQ 330 SST

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/578728_10151004480419737_1119145639_n.jpg

A better car in every way to the Subaru bar engine note. But the much vaunted Evo handling? Not a patch on either RX8. Lots of grip, sure, but a bit boring, all told, with some really poor steering feel around the straight ahead. Fast, sure, though the Subaru felt faster, but 23mpg average, £500 a year road tax and spending more time stuck in traffic than enjoying driving it has made me rethink what a daily driver should be. Certainly not a rally rep with bone hard ride and hole in the petrol tank! So, it's going this summer, now all the bits that have gone wrong with it have been fixed. Mitsubishi reliability? Well, it's had a new gearbox, AYC pump, intercooler, 2 sets of rear wheels, 3 sets of front wheels, 2 sets of front discs and both front struts replaced in just over 2 years, thankfully all under warranty! Can't imagine they've made a profit out of me, though. I paid £21k for it and that to adds up to around £14k worth of dealer parts and labour! Mainly the gearbox (£9k) and AYC pump (£2k). No wonder they're stopping production!

As to what next. Well, the head says Golf R, A45 AMG (at a push, they are horribly overpriced) or S3. The heart? It says one of these....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31.0-8/1495155_10152170394377252_439882009024944826_o.jpg

Which is almost a straight swap for the Evo, even new, and a more sensible daily driver. Then, in two years, once depreciation has it's wicked way, one of these for the weekend....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/10177902_650822124966254_973766462151423182_n.jpg

Yup, I've gone quite mad in the intervening years... ;)

Still on PSN, but never made it to PC. PSN ID is o-Ali-o for anyone that's still playing!

Right, talk me out of an Alfa folks. :D

FaultyMario
May 16th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Right, talk me out of an Alfa folks. :D

Let's see... if you drive by in that red Alfa, women will get rid of their knickers and ask you to give them pleasure... warning enough?

Random
May 16th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Welcome back! :)

thesameguy
May 16th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Someone could get hurt when they're thrown?

Ali
May 16th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Let's see... if you drive by in that red Alfa, women will get rid of their knickers and ask you to give them pleasure... warning enough?

Er....nope. That's more than fine with me...though maybe not the wife.... :D

Ali
May 16th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Welcome back! :)

Thanks! I'm impressed how many of you old school GT guys are still together. Feels like old times around here, though I hope YW has got over those blooming Subarus, and Bubbles isn't still trying to persuade everyone to buy a Seat Ibiza..... ;)

Alan P
May 16th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Welcome back mate! I'm not a Giuletta fan at all. Personally you'd be better with a 159 V6 if it must be an Alfa.

CudaMan
May 16th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Hm, unsatisfied with Japanese reliability and wants an Alfa? :lol:

Welcome back. :) Good taste in cars you have.

Godson
May 16th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Hm, unsatisfied with Japanese reliability and wants an Alfa? :lol:

Welcome back. :) Good taste in cars you have.

I was thinking the same thing.

Words of advice, buy a bike.

Yw-slayer
May 16th, 2014, 11:24 PM
I agree with Cuda and godson.

Mate, I'll never get over Subs, that's just like expecting you to buy a car and have zero complaints about it. ;)

Ali
May 17th, 2014, 01:35 AM
LOL YW. Though I cannot fault the second RX8. Brilliant, brilliant car. That's the first car since my EG6 Civic that I regret letting go.

The Giulietta seems far better built tgan any previous Alfa and everything seems built down to a price these days. But, I'm going to test tge A45 AMG next week so, we'll what happens!

Rob
May 17th, 2014, 03:58 AM
I remember the troublesome CTR, then the RX8, then you throwing a wobbly about unreliable Xbox 360s and that was the last I think I saw of you.

samoht
May 17th, 2014, 04:22 AM
Hello again ! Pretty good car history, glad you enjoyed your RX-8s :-)

I'm liking the RX-7 I've had for a year and a half now:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KpdJxJCFgTc/UYmF0NYP4_I/AAAAAAAADVc/EMUo2Ei2aBg/w645-h464-no/rx7_small.jpg
also handles pretty awesomely, especially on track. I hear the 8's chassis is even better though.

Let us know what you think of the A45, I wonder how it will compare to the Impreza and Evo X to drive.

Yw-slayer
May 17th, 2014, 07:32 AM
The A is very popular here amongst people who want a "cheap" AMG car, or a car that looks like an AMG car. It's OK but I reckon if you're going to buy a 4WD turbocharged hatch, go with the Japanese, who have been doing it for some time.

In my biased opinion, the A also manages the incredible feat of simultaneously giving off the "Boy Racer", "I'm a Badge Whore because I bought a Merc" and "I couldn't afford a more expensive Merc so I had to buy this one" (save perhaps for the A45) vibes.

Ali
May 17th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I remember the troublesome CTR, then the RX8, then you throwing a wobbly about unreliable Xbox 360s and that was the last I think I saw of you.

I went through 9 replacement 360s in the end! Defected to PS3 and still have that, and it still works, though it did need the heat paste replaced! Not so sure on PS4. Keeps freezing when you try and turn it off just now.

Love the FD RX7. Still a candidate for the weekend fun car slot.

A45s are rare here.In black, grey or silver, with none of the over priced spoilers, they look like any other A. As for Japan, all that's left here is the STi, and one blown EJ25 us enough for me. The Evo hasn't been sold here for 2 years bar the fifty FQ440s later this year. It's Golf R, S3 or A45 only. We can't even get the X drive M cars.

Yw-slayer
May 17th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing what happens when they put the FA20DIT, with proper power, in the STI.

WIth the Golf R or S3 you're looking at VW/Audi petrol "reliability" - probably only slightly better than the Alfa. :lol:

Just get a weekend fun car, and for the boring stuff get an X3 or something. ;)

samoht
May 18th, 2014, 03:54 AM
As for Japan, all that's left here is the STi, and one blown EJ25 us enough for me. The Evo hasn't been sold here for 2 years bar the fifty FQ440s later this year.

Yeah, if you want a *new* car I'd be hard pushed to recommend anything Japanese, save perhaps the GT86 or a GTR if you have £70k. Or you could perhaps import a nearly-new 2.0 Scoobie from Japan, although that would be pricey. Nineties cars are getting a bit old, I have to admit, although that was when they made their best.

Ali
May 18th, 2014, 04:12 AM
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing what happens when they put the FA20DIT, with proper power, in the STI.

WIth the Golf R or S3 you're looking at VW/Audi petrol "reliability" - probably only slightly better than the Alfa. :lol:

Just get a weekend fun car, and for the boring stuff get an X3 or something. ;)

Nope. No SUV for me. Not now, not ever! The wife has a CX7 for those purposes. I just need 4 seats for occasional family use.

The current STi definitely seems a stop gap model. Given how much better the new WRX is, I'm still surprised they hadn't upgraded the STI engine as well. I'd put bets on it being out in the next couple of years, but why be stuck with an EJ25 until then?

Know what you mean about VW, and the dealers are awful as well. I can't even get them to call me back to finalise a set of figures. They simply don't care, which doesn't bode well for any after sales care! As for Alfa reliability, you'd be surprised. Bar some early gearbox problems and a few blown turbos, the only major Giulietta issue is the gearknobs falling off from time to time. FIAT went through a massive restructuring back in 2005/6 and got a team from Japan, led by Professor Hajime Yamashina to shake up their quality woes and improve their reputation. The Giulietta is the first product t obe 100% affected by his work and it came 7th in last years JD Power survey. It also came highest in all non Japanese cars in an MSN survey on electrical reliability this year, and a recent survey on failure rates at first MoT put Giulietta way above every other car surveyed for pass rates, Japanese cars included. I just wish they'd make a 4wd GTA version!

Plus, I'm not sure I'm ready to join the aspiring middle classes in my street which is populated by ze German premium cars. I grew up on Italian cars, and Alfas especially, so they mean a lot to me, even now. They might not be the last word in finesse or performance anymore, but there's still something special about them, at least to me!

Yw-slayer
May 18th, 2014, 06:21 AM
STI - The excuse they gave in a recent interview was that the STI's weakness was the handling, not power, so they didn't replace the EJ25. It seems inevitable though. I suppose they'll put the FA20 in after any teething problems have been ironed out, and as part of an obvious mid-cycle refresh.

If you've got an SUV already then obviously no need for an X3. I know what you mean about Italian cars, but man, still.

I have loads of friends with Audis, some of whom used to be big fans. I also know a few professional drivers who talk to lots of others. You probably know this, but the VW/Audi 2.0T has issues, including massive oil consumption (which I have heard many of them mention - and do an internet search!) and there are just quite a few examples of random and general problems, including rattling, with cars that are less than 2 years old and hardly used. It's put me off anything other than an R8 or an S6 Avant, both of which are not exactly affordable.

P.S. I know what you mean about Italian cars, which is why you know why I like Subs. ;)

KillerB
May 18th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Cheers Ali! I miss my RX-8, but I'm really enjoying my Challenger R/T - especially now that I live in California. :D

Ali
May 25th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Two test drives down and one possible, and one major disappointment...

First up, the A45 AMG. Positives start with the sheer speed of the thing, though the reviews saying it has even torque spread and no lag are greatly exaggerated. Below 2000 rpm it offers absolutely nothing, and there's a definite pause and deep breath before the power arrives above that though I'm not actually convinced it feels much faster than my 330bhp Evo X, but it is very quick, there's no doubt. The gearbox software is better than last time I tried it, though it still has longer pauses before changing down than the Evo, which is no great shakes, but at least it has a fully manual mode unlike VW's DSG. Handling seems a little more interactive than the last time I tried one at launch, with the Haldex coming into play earlier, but it still offers none of the nose tucking in and tail being playful moments that the Evo does despite copious amounts of grip. The steering feels sharp initially but a bit heavy handed and slow once into the corner, at least against the Evo. The ride is, however, pretty damned firm, almost to excess, and far more than my past cars, Evo, STI, CTR and RX8 included. Ignore those accusing Evos of being unliveable with as daily drivers, it's far better than the AMG. There is a nice initial damping feeling but then it just thumps and bumps over bigger defects. The interior has decent seats but an odd driving position where I really had to use the reach adjustment to get the wheel closer to me, and the dash felt really very cheap. The fake carbon weave pattern on the main dash panel felt like a kids toy, and the 2,000 mile demo car already had a bunch of rattles and creaks that really didn't fit with the Merc image. A double edged sword is the infamous exhaust popping and crackling as well. For a test drive, it was grin inducing to start with, but I quickly started to become self conscious of it when we went through a few small towns. That it's entirely faked also grates a lot as I can't see why they don't give a setting to switch it off yet still retain sports mode for the gearbox because, in Comfort mode, the gearbox is horribly sluggish. Overall, then, the A45 stays on the list, but it's disappointed in quite a few ways. Now I've tried it a couple of times, is it really worth the money? Honestly? Not even close. If it were the same price as the Golf, I'd probably buy one and live with the popping exhaust...or find a way to disable it. But for a 4 year loan at 50% the cost of my mortgage? It's unlikely. Not written off completely, but unlikely.

So, then it was off to BMW to test the M135i. Now, we didn't get off to a good start. I'd already told the salesman I had to be back for my kids at 5pm and got there promptly at 4pm only to be kept waiting for 25 minutes, at which point the salesman sent a minion because he was "with a customer". So, off we went and said minion really got my back up when he immediately started criticising the A45 when I said I'd just been out in one and started slagged off Alfa when mentioned. I really started to dislike him but enough of that and onto the car. Well, initial impressions are pretty poor. Terrible rear seating where my 13 year old son had to sit squint, horrible styling (which is worse close up!) and a dashboard that, while it looks OK, is even cheaper feeling than the Merc on poking around. Thankfully, the engine saved the day before I got out and went home there and then, and what an engine it is. Smooth, refined, potent and far torquier than the A45. It might not have the very top end bite of the Merc, but it beats it hands down everywhere else, especially sound. The single clutch 8 speed auto this demo was fitted with was also a better box than the Merc, though still a bit stodgy and occasionally reluctant, and commits the worst crime for a semi auto, no full manual mode. It will always take over if it deems you to be driving incorrectly. Even if you use the paddles, it reverts back to full auto within 15 seconds if you don't use a paddle so the only way to keep it manual is keep changing gear! And then things fell apart. First up, the steering is utterly devoid of feel. Firm, yes, but it just offers no messages at all. At least the Merc let through a little bump steer and torque sensations. But this is RWD, 50:50 distribution and supposedly uncorrupted by power...so why does it have worse feel than my Civic Type R or STI, both of which I previously rated as "a bit rubbish"? The handling was OK. Nothing to write home about but this was a road based test drive, not a hoon round a track with the rear end waving in the breeze and, for a road car, BMW have managed to gift it with a horribly soft initial damping, where it feels all at sea moving underneath you, yet rock hard secondary ride where it feels like larger potholes have turned into speed bumps. This also means when you power over bumps, the rear axle can be felt squirming vertically an inch or two and unsettling the rear, even in a straight line. Really, really didn't like it one little bit! My RX8 was a far, far better handling and riding car in every conceivable way. I know there have been lots of glowing reviews of the car, but it's immediately dropped off my shortlist for good. I just couldn't live with it, regardless of the saving over the Merc.

So, a "possible, but not likely", and a "not an ice cube's chance in hell" so far. Next up, Golf R and Alfa!

samoht
May 25th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Interesting... I note evo have also gone off the M135i lately, for similar reasons to what you describe.

I would tend to agree, I wouldn't spend that much money on the A45 when it rides and handles worse than the Evo does, better not to commit to a big purchase unless you're really sold on a car.

Ali
May 25th, 2014, 01:08 PM
That's what I'm thinking. Interesting to see how the Golf and Alfa stack up but, if both don't do it for me, the Evo will stay longer, at least until the new Civic R is out.

KillerB
May 25th, 2014, 01:30 PM
On the bright side, at least the A class looks like a proper car now, as opposed to the silly first-generation version.

Still, I like Mazdas, but a Mercedes should not look like a Mazda. I don't get the appeal of these new bottom-rung Mercs. The CLA sells in the US primarily because it's the $299 a month lease they can advertise.

Ali
May 25th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I'm surprised at the lease pricing. another black mark over here is how much they're expected to lose in value. I can only find details on the CLA45 but, over 4 years, that's expected to go from £42,000 to £18,000 which is a whopping loss. The Alfa will go from £26k to £13k in that period, and the Golf £33k to £16k.

Godson
May 25th, 2014, 02:49 PM
That makes me want to vomit.

TheBenior
May 25th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Still, I like Mazdas, but a Mercedes should not look like a Mazda. I don't get the appeal of these new bottom-rung Mercs. The CLA sells in the US primarily because it's the $299 a month lease they can advertise.
I was a little surprised to see it, but right now a CLA250 lease is $3623 down, $329 per month, and the CLA250 4Matic is $3743/$349.

A C250 is $4153/$359, while a C300 4Matic is $4173/$379.

Comparing AWD leases, an extra $430 up front and $30 a month sounds worth it to me.

KillerB
May 25th, 2014, 09:38 PM
In that case, I have no fucking clue what the point of the CLA is.

Alan P
May 26th, 2014, 03:33 PM
All this is telling me you should buy a late BMW E9x 335i.

Yw-slayer
May 26th, 2014, 08:34 PM
It's really interesting to hear your reactions to these two cars, notwithstanding my longstanding bias against most Mercs.

On the plus side, it sounds like the low-rung AMGs will be good bargains in the UK in 3 years, assuming they are properly maintained.

I saw a Golf R on the road the other day. It does look sweet, but VW/Audi "reliability" will always be in the back of my mind.

Ali
May 27th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Sorry Alan, I just didn't like the BMW dealer at Eastern at all. Rude, condescending and inconsiderate. I might take a trip over to Seafield and Peter Vardy but the Golf comes first. alfa still don't have a car to test drive but promised one "imminently". Interestingly, Western VW have opened a "GTi Centre" in Newcraighall that offers fully warrantied Revo tuning. Could easily have 350bhp out of the Golf R with a stage 1 chip only, apparently!

Ali
May 28th, 2014, 06:10 AM
So, onto the Golf R this lunchtime. And pleasantly nice it was too! Not entirely convinced on the interior. Very dull and bland and the standard seats are pretty cheap and nasty, probably to make you pay extra for leather. Dashboard also seems to be made of the same plastic my 3 3/4inch Darth Vader was in 1978. Or at least of his slightly soft touch limbs. And that's about as welcoming as it sounds. And whoever decide that piano black is a good choice of car interior obviously doesn't possess fingers or they would have realised, within 5 seconds, how bloody annoying it is to see fingerprints all over it.

However, on to the (rather limited) test drive. It certainly has a nicely judged chassis, even without the optional comfort mode, with good initial damping and an firm but not unpleasant feel. Much sharper than the standard GTi. Also far better than the M135i by a country mile. As to the Merc, well, the Golf has a better chassis for day to day use but it doesn't feel as planted or special as the AMG. Same with the steering with nice weighting and sharp turn in, but not overly so, just nothing particularly memorable. There is feel there, much like the Merc, and it's certainly better than the BMW, but it's nothing to write home about! A nice growly engine note (though it is all pretend using a speaker attached to the bulkhead) and decent performance with plenty of mid range and a nice shove in the back (about on par with the M135i) though not quite as quick, or utterly bonkers, as the Merc. Overall, it was a very nice and pleasant surprise. Is "nice" worth spending 4 years tied to it while paying it off? Hmmm. Not at their current deal. Most people are getting £3-4k off list price after haggling. I've told the dealer this. Let's see what they do for me, but it stays on the list for now.

Tried to get an Alfa test drive as well but there are none of the model in question available to try! Possibly won't be until September either, which is no use. More worryingly, their sister dealership in Perth closed its doors suddenly yesterday leaving only two Alfa dealers in Scotland and I know Glasgow isn't doing very well either!

So, that's three cars tested leaving two possibles and a joker in the pack (wait until next year and buy the new Civic). Decisions, decisions.

Alan P
May 28th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Thought a Focus ST with Mountune? Or what about the rumoured Renault Megane RS with extra goodies coming soon?

Ali
May 29th, 2014, 02:33 AM
After all the bull crud I've had from Phoenix Mitsubishi and Noble's Subaru, I want to base the purchase as much on dealer experience and reputation as the cars, and Ford and Renault have a fairly patchy reputation in Edinburgh. Might try the Megane, though, as it has such a good reputation. Focus just doesn't appeal at all. They ruined the styling from the brilliant original.

Alan P
May 30th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I'm still thinking you should go through to the BMW dealer down at Seafield and see if they have a 335i of some sort.

Ali
June 1st, 2014, 02:29 PM
I tried! Wandered around for 20 minutes, one receptionist acknowledged my existence but went to get a salesman and then didn't reappear, nor did a salesman. I've given up on BMW. I guess they have too many people clambering for them on lease deals to bother with an actual sale. Been thinking loads over the weekend and just can't bring myself to buy the A45. It's an impressive little car, but it's just far, far too much money for what it is. Not to mention, there's a serious issue with self destructive turbos just now. Originally thought to be pre February cars only, there have now been cars with only a couple of thousand miles on them blowing up! AMG have a serious engine shortage as well, because each one is needing a complete new unit!

So, it's down to heart or head. Alfa or VW. Testing a Giulietta on Friday, finally. It won't be as fast as the others. It won't be as well built as the others. What I need to know is does it still have that weird Alfa ability to make an otherwise normal car, on paper, feel special....If not, Golf it is.

Alan P
June 1st, 2014, 03:54 PM
So find one from another dealer and test drive it there? Braidwood Motors at Pumpherston (http://www.braidwoodmotors.com/used-cars/bmw-3-series-335i-m-sport-4dr-pumpherston-201404183445566) have a Saloon according to Autotrader? 55k miles, sure, but it's local! George MacKay down at Leith docks have a 335i Coupe as well.

Thought about a VXR8? (http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&M=619&isExperiment=True)

KillerB
June 1st, 2014, 06:37 PM
I find it weird that a vehicle would be crossed off your list due to a lousy dealer. Then I realized that a good relationship with a dealer is necessary so that those cars that in the US are unreliable piles need some tender loving care to stay as "reliable" as they're claimed to be in Europe. :lol:

(Not picking on you, Ali, just on people in Europe who think Americans must all be idiots because VWs and other Euro cars fall to bits here and are supposedly perfectly reliable over there.)

Alan P
June 1st, 2014, 06:55 PM
There is a carefully fostered public image that the German manufacturers try to push onto the General Public that German cars are uber reliable and technologically superior. For example the parts dealer vans that run around often have the slogan 'Even a Volkswagen requires replacement parts sometimes' on them. Anyone that has owned a VW or BMW will tell you they're no more reliable than any other car and in some situations are actually worse. Same for Porsche. If I spend £70k+ (Hell even £40k+ on a Boxster) I would expect the damn thing to expel gold plated water vapour while being completely reliable and without a single issue. The common failures of Porsche engines over the past decade (and apparently Porsche's unwillingness to admit to the problem despite some engines letting go being incredibly common) just shows that despite cost and the perceived image that German cars are just better, it's a whole lot of shite. :)

Godson
June 1st, 2014, 09:45 PM
I can debunk that myth on the BMW reliability.

It's a fucking joke.

Ali
June 2nd, 2014, 01:28 AM
Same with Subaru, Alan. The EJ25 ring land failure is well known and a huge issue yet International Motors, the UK importer, still refuse to accept there's a problem and have screwed people over claiming it was driver error, not a defect. So people have been landed with £8-9000 bills even well within warranty. I reckon I got lucky. My dealer's service manager, not realising I had a tracker that could alert me of speed excess, was caught red handed thrashing mine at 114mpg down the West Linton road despite the engine having a failed ring land and pouring out blue smoke. When I phoned up, despite getting no apology at all, it suddenly became much easier to get a new engine......

The German myth, I agree with. I know so many people with issues in their BMWs (one chap with a 7 series that didn't see it for 6 months), Mercs (constant failing sensors and a blown turbo on a brand new C class) and VWs (go on VW UK's Facebook page, it's full of really pissed off Passat owners spamming their threads!). The benefit they have is a dealer network that gives the pretence of caring, and very good marketing and PR. Something that the Japanese used to have but seemed to have lost by giving their Euro branches more autonomy. Phoenix Mitsubishi, certainly, were appalling. So much so that I ended up phoning Mitsi Customer Services and they revealed that the warranty claims Phoenix were supposed to have made and that were blaming on Mitsubishi for still not being done, had never been submitted! Thankfully, Lexus Of Edinburgh that used to be Western Mistubishi can still do service and warranty work and have been excellent. Just a shame Lexus don't make a decently sporting car. I've had CT200s and IS300hs for courtesy cars and they've all been very nice, but really dull.

Would love a VXR8, though they've priced themselves out the market recently, and I even considered a Camaro SS but, physically, neither would fit in my work car park space! If I had less size limitation, I'd also be looking at used Jag XF-Rs as I just love those.

IMOA
June 2nd, 2014, 02:44 AM
IS-F

All your problems solved.

Ali
June 2nd, 2014, 02:56 AM
I've been looking but they're rare as rocking horse poop here!

Ali
June 2nd, 2014, 04:10 AM
Hmmm.....might have to go say hello. Despite what I said above.....

http://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/2396853

Godson
June 2nd, 2014, 06:17 AM
Rumor has it the newer Jags are better in reliability than previously.

I don't know how much better, perhaps TSG or someone knows more.

thesameguy
June 2nd, 2014, 08:52 AM
Aside from the coolant leaks mine came with (and have been fixed), mine has been great. I don't know anything about the post Ford era Jags - they are decidedly more complex. I'll look into them next year, though, as a newer Jag is highly likely to replace the one I've already got then.

Alan P
June 2nd, 2014, 01:06 PM
Ooh I do like the XF-R. Shame there's no interior shots.

TheBenior
June 2nd, 2014, 01:41 PM
Magazine reviews and long term tests that I've read suggest that random electrical gremlins are back in the post Ford Jags. Perhaps not quite as badly as in Range Rovers, but still worse than before.

thesameguy
June 2nd, 2014, 01:55 PM
That doesn't entirely surprise me. The only reason the XJ ended up being reliable is that it's more or less gimmick free. It's electrical doodad loadout is on par with a mid '90s Camry. IIRC the S-Type, which had more stuff, also has more problems.

I almost don't care - I'm onboard with Alan. The XF-R seems like a mighty nice ride. :D

Hey, Ali, you wanna lead KB & I on a 10 year old Maserati owning effort? ;)

Godson
June 2nd, 2014, 02:30 PM
I saw one of the 04 Maserati's at an Italian show yesterday. Wish he would have started it...

KillerB
June 2nd, 2014, 07:22 PM
I can debunk that myth on the BMW reliability.

It's a fucking joke.

To be fair, yours is almost old enough to drink. :lol:

Random
June 2nd, 2014, 07:59 PM
And Tyler is cursed. *makes a ward sign*

Yw-slayer
June 2nd, 2014, 09:16 PM
XF-R sounds like a great idea. I saw some XF Estates in London recently. They are t3h 53x

Godson
June 2nd, 2014, 09:29 PM
To be fair, yours is almost old enough to drink. :lol:

While that is true, shit that is breaking on this thing "should not break on anything"

Door panels are rubbish, shock towers and mounts are weaker than an old latex condom (and that part applies to almost all BMWs up until the E90)

Hell, my Monster has had a quarter of the miles that I have put on the M3, and the repair bills from the dealer have not even come close to a quarter of what I have put into the M3. It is Italian, and expected to break due to "Italian engineering". The only thing that has actually broken on the bike is the Stator, and that is from ill thought design with the stator nut not being the correct size. Parts and labor for that were less than 350$. I have more than that in headwork from the M3.

And Tyler is cursed. *makes a ward sign*

That is a possibility.

Enough about me, the man needs a Jag XF-R

Yw-slayer
June 2nd, 2014, 11:39 PM
XF-R WAGON plz

Godson
June 3rd, 2014, 06:35 AM
While it doesn't look as good as the XF-R, that's hot shit.

Yw-slayer
June 3rd, 2014, 07:53 AM
Surely you jest. I find the XF-R wagon better-looking than the sedan.

thesameguy
June 3rd, 2014, 08:23 AM
Yeah, but you're a lawyer.

Random
June 3rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
Oooh, sick burn! Someone call a lawy...oh.

Godson
June 3rd, 2014, 08:47 AM
Seriously :lol:

Ali
June 3rd, 2014, 09:00 AM
XF-R WAGON plz

Sadly, too much money. I can only come in at 2 1/2 to 3 years old. Which is a concern. It means owning it until it's 6 years old to pay it off. Need to check warranties!

Yw-slayer
June 3rd, 2014, 07:25 PM
:x

Ali
June 5th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Well, the Jag's off the menu, at least that one. Wondered why it was quite cheap but it's not been very well looked after! Nice car though.

Yw-slayer
June 5th, 2014, 03:38 AM
M3 sedan? Although it looks like most of the ones near you in the 30K price-range are (a) Coupes (b) Autos.

Random
June 5th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Autotrader UK doesn't list any SD1s in Scotland.

Am disappoint. :(

Ali
June 5th, 2014, 11:59 AM
The local dealer has a lovely coupe in blue but someone has used the nearside wheels to try and smooth off every kerb they ever parked next to :(

Alfa test drive tomorrow. Merc dealer got back to me saying he could offer a superb deal....we'll see.

Ali
June 7th, 2014, 01:18 AM
And the Alfa test drive didn't happen. Mysteriously, at the last minute, someone whipped it off to the "PDI centre" and it won't be back until Tuesday....I smell a rat. A "we can't get it to start" or "it's making a horrible clunking noise" kind of rat.

Had another word with the Jag dealer and he's speaking to Jag UK to see if there are any ex management XFRs around. The idea appeals more and more....

samoht
June 7th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Shame... given your enthusiasm, it would seem a pity to buy a new car without test-driving the Alfa.

Yw-slayer
June 7th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Rims can be refurbished or replaced.

I reckon it's that, or a C63.

The new 435i Grand Coupe also looks good but I guess it would probably be nearer 40k.

Alan P
June 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM
So have you bought a Jaguar yet?

Yw-slayer
June 11th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Yes, a 435i M Sport Gran Coupe starts at GBP41K. Pity. Still, that seems to have most of what you'd want, although I'm sure you could easily option it up to nearer 60K.

Ali
June 12th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Not bought anything so far. VW and Merc promised final figures on....er....Monday. Still no word. Jag don't have any stock at the moment but will get back to me. And I'm not buying a BMW YW. Sorry, just don't like them. Nor an Audi for that matter. Unfortunately, the Alfa is getting very mediocre reviews as they haven't bothered to refine the chassis over the previous model. If I bought one, it'd have to have a massive discount so I could add a set of coil overs and a remap!

And, the Evo has decided to need rear discs and pads as well as a new intercooler thanks to road debris denting the old one. So that's getting done next week with upgraded items (should get another 10-20bhp with a freer flowing IC) and makes me wonder about holding onto it just a little longer so I can go full circle and get one of these.....in black.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFE3jcdfvbI&feature=share

Yw-slayer
June 12th, 2014, 05:47 AM
You could just wait for another year... or get a C63.

Ali
June 12th, 2014, 06:09 AM
I'd rather have an XFR than a C63 in all honesty. It just appeals more. Shame they're so rare!

Yw-slayer
June 12th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Same here, but if you want a fast car and can't wait...

Ali
June 12th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Oh, I can wait. This is the very earliest to change mine as it's paid for in 2 months. After that, I'm saving £450 a month!!! Longer I wait, the fatter the deposit. I don't expect the Evo to lose much value in the next year. It's only lost £4.5k in the last 3 years!

Yw-slayer
June 12th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Then you might as well. It's not like they're making any more of them!

Alan P
June 12th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Not bought anything so far. VW and Merc promised final figures on....er....Monday. Still no word. Jag don't have any stock at the moment but will get back to me. And I'm not buying a BMW YW. Sorry, just don't like them. Nor an Audi for that matter. Unfortunately, the Alfa is getting very mediocre reviews as they haven't bothered to refine the chassis over the previous model. If I bought one, it'd have to have a massive discount so I could add a set of coil overs and a remap!

And, the Evo has decided to need rear discs and pads as well as a new intercooler thanks to road debris denting the old one. So that's getting done next week with upgraded items (should get another 10-20bhp with a freer flowing IC) and makes me wonder about holding onto it just a little longer so I can go full circle and get one of these.....in black.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFE3jcdfvbI&feature=share

But it's got four exhausts on a car that only needs one? And, to me anyway, they look awful.

Ali
June 15th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Well, I took a test drive in a Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde (forever to be shortened to QV) on Friday. Not the new model as it's not out yet, but a '12 reg trade in. While the new car has a little more power and a dual clutch gearbox, the suspension is supposed to be much the same. And.....it's far better than the magazines suggest! While "only" 240bhp you can feel all the extra torque immediately and from lower down than the Evo. In the mid range, it's not that far behind the Evo thanks to over 300kg weight saving (1320kg plays 1630!!!) and it's not all that much slower (182bhp/ton vs 203). And it's more than quick enough to have fun as a daily driver. It was bizarre being in a powerful FWD car again and that extra skittishness and correcting the wheel over puddles (it was peeing down) but it actually brought it to life. One thing 4wd brings with it is a competency that makes most fast drives rather predictable and dull. You know you always have traction. In this, you had to think for yourself. It does need a better engine note, but the new model provides that without resorting to silly speakers and fakery, just a better tuned exhaust and a resonance tube off the fuel intake. The reviews also criticise the ride for being too soft and "normal". Er....compared to what? It's around the same as my Evo or the Golf R, firmer than the M135i (which I repeat, was really quite rubbish) and only softer than the A45 which was brutal at times. Where Alfa need to improved it is in the progression of the spring rates. While the initial bump absorption is firm, when you really press it there is more body roll than the Golf and Evo though still less than that over-rated BMW. But that's really teh only flaw I could find. It felt far better screwed together than expected (noise free after 18 months and 10k where the new A45 with 3k had numerous rattles), was very civilised to be in, looks great inside and out and is £15,000 cheaper than the A45 and £12,000 cheaper than a similarly specced Golf R, leaving that money free to buy something REALLY fun. I'm warming to it a lot after reading some middling reviews. Handling is a very easy thing to sort out but I need to try one with the TCT gearbox. I suspect it'll be very similar to the SST as, despite Fiat manufacturing it, they designed it in collaboration with Borg Warner who provide all the hydraulics....same as the SST). The only thing I'd want to change is to replace the stock suspension with Eibachs and Bilsteins, or uprated KW Coilovers. Apparently, the transformation is amazing on those with an improved ride too. And it did do something the Golf failed to do. It felt "special". Different. Individual.

Decisions, decisions....but I have to wait until July to see what offers are available. Right now, they're taking £2750 off list price, so claims of being overpriced is negated, Alfa always have discounts! It costs the same as a Focus ST and £3k less than a Golf GTI or Megane.

Yw-slayer
June 15th, 2014, 03:30 AM
It's good to hear that you have found something you may like! It's a pity that it doesn't look like the first-gen 147 with the triple-circle alloys - I still think that was one of the best-looking cars, and combinations, of all-time. Then again, I think my BL Legacy is the best-looking Subaru ever made, so...

Ali
June 15th, 2014, 06:59 AM
If I do get one, it would be in the lovely 8C Red with the 5 circle alloys, identical to this, but with a 30mm drop thanks to the KWs.

http://www.automobilesreview.com/img/2014-alfa-romeo-giulietta-qv/slides/2014-alfa-romeo-giulietta-qv-07.jpg

http://www.automobilesreview.com/img/2014-alfa-romeo-giulietta-qv/slides/2014-alfa-romeo-giulietta-qv-06.jpg

Alan P
June 15th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Some angles I like them but from other angles they look really fussy.

Ali
June 25th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Quick update.....nothing bought yet! Though I did test drive a Focus ST at the weekend out of curiosity and was really surprised at how good it was! More enjoyable, in an old school analogue hatch, than the Golf R, not much slower either, in truth. Sharper handling, more feel and the best door protectors I've ever seen (Youtube them, seriously, they're genius!). Not sure I want one over the Civic or Alfa, but far more enjoyable than any of the German hatches.

Yw-slayer
June 25th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Ford Europe make awesome cars. The S-Max is a truly incredible drive if you treat it as a minivan, although in fairness it's just a slightly heavier, longer, and taller Mondeo Estate. I had a banker friend waxing lyrical about the 240hp engine in the Evoque. He looked somewhat crestfallen when I told him it's the same engine in the S-Max. :lol: I'm thinking about treating ours to Pilot Sport 3s when the OEM Primacy HPs are done.

Alan P
June 25th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Thought about hanging fire and seeing about a RHD mustang test drive?

If you're considering V8, thought about a VXR? Or what about a BMW M5?

Ali
June 26th, 2014, 01:20 AM
For a daily driver I wouldn't go V8 m8. Not in our country and with our fuel prices! Maybe for the weekend car in a couple of years! I did ask about the Mustang but they're sold out in the UK for over a year! There are 200 or so coming into the UK and they got over 9000 people trying to place deposits!

YW, agreed fully. The Focus is a brilliant car, full stop. Far better than the Golf IMHO, despite the bhp deficit, though rumour is Mountune have a 300bhp upgrade incoming! The wife's CX7 is much the same. Ridiculous agility for a big SUV, but it IS a Mazda 6 on stilts. Only thing that lets it down is a low geared steering rack. Did make me wonder if you could fit a Mazdaspeed steering rack instead....until I realised that would be a bit silly!

Random
June 28th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me. :D

(And I bet it fits...if not, test an MX-5 rack.)

Ali
March 16th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Well, a little bit of catching up and I'll get the flame suit ready, as I finally bought a car. Well, I bought it in December but life got in the way of posting until now!

Here you go!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10957900_10152830036054737_8685790651443783596_n.j pg?oh=e7e2c01742eef141a93a720f4b175fac&oe=55700D95&__gda__=1438117616_6c2dc49996f8a22d6eda0314518c11b c

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10850222_10152669019904737_2998426422074251597_n.j pg?oh=84eabd976a38e2757e3415fa433488ba&oe=557BE535&__gda__=1434381386_d99da72b9a484068ab3bee50eef33eb 1

Quite a change from the Evo. More relaxed and a little slower, though not by as much as you'd think. After reading all the press criticism of it, I had to try one myself and it ended up, along with the Focus ST, being the car that made me smile the most. And I love Alfas because......well........Alfa! Can certainly believe the UK specialists that say none of them develop 240bhp, that most are 250-260. Given it's only pulling around 1320kg, it's plenty fast enough. Just needs some Eibach Pro springs to sort out the high speed floatiness, much the same as I did for the RX8 230, and I'll happily live with it until Alfa bring out a V6...

Glad I didn't wait for the Civic. God, it's awful! Can't believe how much worse than the concept the production model looks! I'd look like a complete idiot driving one at 44!

thesameguy
March 16th, 2015, 09:18 AM
And I love Alfas because......well........Alfa!

Word. :up:

Random
March 16th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Alan P
March 18th, 2015, 03:39 AM
It's very, er, red! Looks good though and if I see one I know it's probably you so I will give you a wee flash.

Ali
March 18th, 2015, 06:05 AM
You still in the Leon, Alan? What colour is it?

And yes, it's red, though the phone doesn't do it justice. It's the 8C Red, similar to that Disco Volante in the Top Gear article. A silver base coat with multiple layers of transparent red on top. Fascinating colour. Almost metallic and pearl at the same time. I love it.

http://www.performance-car-guide.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Alfa-Romeo-Giulietta-QV-2.jpg

Alan P
March 18th, 2015, 05:13 PM
It's a black Leon Cupra, GL04UAF. There's a wee red Pistonheads Smiley on the back as well.

KillerB
March 18th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Same color on the 4C... love it!