PDA

View Full Version : FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2014

FaultyMario
May 22nd, 2014, 02:06 PM
Heaps of fun pulling out of Portier with the new engines, it seems.

I don't think Mercedes can be challenged, so this season is getting old pretty fast. I'm hoping for Hulk to be second best. Him or Dan, whatever.

FaultyMario
May 22nd, 2014, 02:19 PM
I'll keep posting them here.

Godson
May 22nd, 2014, 07:15 PM
Is that Hamilton on the aprilia?

FaultyMario
May 23rd, 2014, 06:27 AM
MV Agusta F4, from what I've read around. but those are last year's, he arrived by boat this time.

overpowered
May 23rd, 2014, 10:21 PM
It could be wet.

overpowered
May 26th, 2014, 08:25 AM
More than 24 hours since the end of the race and no comments. It seems like we're losing interest.

Again, the dominance of Mercedes is at a level I have not seen since I started watching F1 in 2002.

Blerpa
May 26th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I'm enjoying the season.
Too bad McLaren is doing shit.
I'm all for Lewis winning the championship. And Mercedes dominance doesn't bother me, so far. It's McLaren gold years once again, not "do as you are told" Ferrari and Red Bull crap.

Fiat500
May 26th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Way back in the China thread,

Hamilton has apparently found his inner Popstar Buddha.

I take that back, he has equally apparently lost him again.

It is painful to listen to him when he's as childish and paranoid as this during this race, I can't imagine how it must be for the guys on the pit wall.

Crazed_Insanity
May 26th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Anyway, it seems pretty much all past champs had acted childishly and paranoid... So this isn't something unexpected. For sure Hamilton has raw talent, but I am pulling for Rosberg this season.

It's also nice to see Marussia getting some points!

Godson
May 26th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I hadn't had time to watch the race yet.

Glad for marussia, gutted but kinda mad at kimi. He had a good comeback and got a little greedy. Cost him some serious points.

I will say I was so happy when Alonso was working the team strategy by blocking in Riccardo while kimi pitted. Shame it didn't pan out.

G'day Mate
May 26th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Kimi greedy? I thought he was minding his own business until someone else came along and popped his tyre?

Godson
May 26th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I'm talking later in the race when he went for a pass in the hairpin.

G'day Mate
May 26th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Aaaah, yeah, he certainly buggered that one up

Godson
May 27th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Any words on the grid penalty for bianchi?

Crazed_Insanity
May 27th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I thought he just loses a position, but luckily that still placed Marussia with a top10 finish!

Blerpa
May 27th, 2014, 12:08 PM
5 seconds penalty, still in the top 10, for Bianchi.

MR2 Fan
May 27th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Bianchi bumped into Kobayashi like 3 times when passing him, damaging his car and the stewards did nothing about that either.

Fiat500
May 27th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Anyway, it seems pretty much all past champs had acted childishly and paranoid... So this isn't something unexpected.

See, even if you hadn't just made that up, it still wouldn't be an excuse. He must be hurting his relationship with the team the way he acts, which means he's hurting himself.

He really needs to learn how to just shut up and drive. He's like night and day when things go his way, or if there's minor (or even imagined) obstacles.

F1 drivers need to be on edge, but he's on the wrong edge sometimes.

MR2 Fan
May 27th, 2014, 03:44 PM
See, even if you hadn't just made that up, it still wouldn't be an excuse. He must be hurting his relationship with the team the way he acts, which means he's hurting himself.

He really needs to learn how to just shut up and drive. He's like night and day when things go his way, or if there's minor (or even imagined) obstacles.

Exactly, he practically seems bi-polar the way he acts.

FaultyMario
May 28th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Way back in the China thread,

I take that back, he has equally apparently lost him again.

It is painful to listen to him when he's as childish and paranoid as this during this race, I can't imagine how it must be for the guys on the pit wall.

Lap 66
LH: But Ma! I wanna fight Nico!
Bono: We've got other worries, mate. Ricciardo is closing in on you.
LH: That's soooooo unfair you guys.
(Collective mind): You dumbass, you ate up on your tires trying to go after Nico, now man up bitch.

FaultyMario
May 28th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Just watch the er... Tivo, yeah, the tivo'd race last night.

1) Maldonado: ha-ha!
2) Pérez: you dumb fuck!
3) Vettel: shit happens, now sit on the balcony and eat your humble pie, you did everything the last two years to make us enjoy it now that you're getting shafted.
4) JEV: what did guy do in his past life? was he running over kittens with a lawnmower?
5) Guti: Seriously dude, seriously? great start, great discipline to make the strategy work, great work staying in contention and then... that? that's first grader stuff homes, you're in like graduate school and you fuck that up? that's not even chiltonesque. Oh, and you gave those points to a Marussia, yes, Marussia and Caterham are now both ahead of your team.
6) Kimi: I don't think you can blame him too much.
7) Dani Ric: Bravo.

Godson
May 28th, 2014, 09:31 AM
I agree about not blaming him too much. I just look back at where he was after the safety car. He *might* have been able to battle for 2nd had he not lost a tire.

Crazed_Insanity
May 28th, 2014, 09:43 AM

I dunno, my memory might be fading, but based on me starting to follow F-1 during the Senna and Prost era..., I think the only cool and collected least offensive gentlemanly champ who I don't ever recall throwing any sort of fits was probably Damon Hill. But he was the most boring to watch. In terms of nationality, yeah I think champs from Finland and UK are usually pretty good. Hamilton by far is the worst when it comes to childishness and paranoia, but also the most talented British champ. Comparing Mika and Kimi, I think Mika was probably also the better behaving Finnish champ, but on track, it's obvious Kimi is faster.

Anyway, it does seem to me that the faster one is on track, the more misbehaviors tend to come out for whatever reasons. Could be that their emotions sometimes help them go faster? Kimi shows very little emotions, but by the way he handle some of his interviews and radio communications, you can tell he can get very emotional at times, but he is just amazingly good at bottling it up and only releasing it on track when needed...

Anyway, just my observation of past few decades. I could be wrong.

Lastly, IMHO, in order to find out exactly where that 'edge' is, you have to cross it occasionally. If you've never went over, how do you know if you've reach close enough to the 100% of the edge? I really don't think being on the wrong edge sometimes is a bad thing... as long as he continues to win races and collect championship points.

MR2 Fan
May 28th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I think Massa is pretty composed, but also not world champion (came VERY close though)

Crazed_Insanity
May 28th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Yeah, that's my theory. Unless you have superb equipment like Damon Hill did, nice guys don't usually win F-1 championships.

As long as Hamilton doesn't continue to stay on the wrong side of that 'edge', I'm sure he'll still have a stellar career.

With that said, I'm still pulling for Rosberg this year... because he seems like a very nice guy to prove my theory wrong! ;)

Godson
May 28th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I was going to say Coulthard. Then it hit me, he never won a championship.

Fiat500
May 28th, 2014, 11:31 AM
It's not about whether or not they're nice guys.
No doubt most champions (or F1 drivers for that matter) need to be driven and focused, if not downright bastards.

My issue with Hamilton is that his whining and petulant behaviour is damaging the team and himself.

CI then went on to say that "pretty much all past champs had acted childishly and paranoid", which I think is BS.

The only one I can think of that comes close, was Alonso on some occasions, and even that's a couple of years ago.
It seemed that late in the season, when things didn't go his way, he'd need to work himself into a frenzy of paranoia and drama to be able to perform.

Vettel has had his moments, but not on the same level as Hamilton.

FaultyMario
May 28th, 2014, 01:02 PM
My issue with Hamilton is that [he] is damaging the team and himself.

I put forward SV's message to the team, It sounded like "Help me out, guys!" When he was retiring from the race.
Lewis' cries really were not in the same neighborhood of disarray or with the same team spirit either, he's telling them that he hates to be beaten by Rosberg, and it's somehow their fault.
Worse, after the race he says "I've seen things in Nico's telemetry that make me shake my head" and it's been clarified by Toto Wolf that BOTH drivers used forbidden engine settings to try to beat the other guy. That is fair game, and Lewis comes across as someone who won't play fair.

Godson
May 28th, 2014, 01:18 PM
He does idolize Senna, someone who was known to push every area when on the track. I am looking at Japan 1990 as one example.

Fiat500
May 28th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Yeah, Senna was a ruthless bastard no doubt, and Hamilton's constant comparisons don't exactly help his case, IMO.

He doesn't put his money where his mouth is, as much as put his foot far up the gift horse's ass, to dismember a couple of idioms.

FaultyMario
May 28th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Vettel tests Ferrari at the Red Bull Ring. Gearbox, engine sounds "fascinate him". (http://autosprint.corrieredellosport.it/2014/05/28/vettel-assaggia-fascino-ferrari-f1/15885/)

G'day Mate
May 28th, 2014, 05:30 PM

Multi 21?

Crazed_Insanity
May 29th, 2014, 05:44 AM
and it's been clarified by Toto Wolf that BOTH drivers used forbidden engine settings to try to beat the other guy. That is fair game, and Lewis comes across as someone who won't play fair.

This is one thing I completely don't understand. What is the purpose of this forbidden engine mode? Is it legal to use it? If so, why forbid them from using it? If it's really that risky to use it, why not just disable it so drivers cannot use it at all?

Here's a button that can make you go faster, but no you can't use it! Yeah right. If a racing driver obey such a command from the team, he's destined not to become a champion. Ever.

Fiat500
May 29th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Multi 21?

That's just him being a ruthless asshole, different thing.

Kchrpm
May 29th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Ignoring team orders? Ruthless asshole, A-OK.
Telling your team they need to do better? Childish team-killer, bad.

Not a huge fan of either, but I'm annoyed by how many successful people act. Sometimes the things that annoy me are major reasons why they got to where they are, sometimes they are major reasons they aren't even further, sometimes probably both. As a middle-class pushover, I'm not really good at knowing where the line is.

All that being said, I am a Lewis Hamilton fan and will continue to be a Lewis Hamilton fan. Until he does something truly heinous, I'll just sweep the childish stuff under the rug.

FaultyMario
May 29th, 2014, 06:47 AM
This is one thing I completely don't understand. What is the purpose of this forbidden engine mode? Is it legal to use it? If so, why forbid them from using it? If it's really that risky to use it, why not just disable it so drivers cannot use it at all?

When did I say Illegal?

The engine can be set to perform in a number of configurations depending on the needs at certain point in practice, qualifying or race. Drivers are 'advised' to follow procedure, but since they can't unlearn how to set the engine to perform on, say, qualifying mode, there's no guarantee they will not use it during the race, so the teams forbid certain engine modes. Hence, forbidden engine settings.

"Gee, I've got my teammate on my tail, I'm pretty certain he is not following procedure, why should I?"
"Gee, I'm seeing my teammate just disappear on corner exit, He must be not following procedure, Why should I?"

"Why no disable it so drivers cannot use it at all?"

How can teams, under current regulations, do that? Please, tell me. Pit-to-car telemetry is illegal, is it not?

I'm absolutely sure that if either of them were acting on good faith and not breaking in-team agreements, they'd have full team support, right now they have no moral leg to stand on.

Blerpa
May 29th, 2014, 09:01 AM
I'm still a Lewis fan.
And OTOH I despise little shits (still respect his talent... although nowhere near Alonso, Raikkonen, Vettel, Hamilton and even Button's level - and Hulkenberg if he'd have a car to shine) like Rosberg.
Fake good twoshoes all innocent and sunny.
What he did in Monaco's quali was blatantly evident to me. Not to others. Fair enough.
But let's stop putting the kid on a pedestal. He's going to take advantage like everyone.

Crazed_Insanity
May 29th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Mario, although I quoted you, my questions weren't posted directly for you ONLY. More like to the team... or to the entire series... or anyone who can enlighten me.

Is 'this' illegal? If not, then what's the problem? Why is it forbidden for drivers to turn in on? If drivers really do want to risk reliability issues or risk running out of fuel in order to gain this momentary advantage, then let them make the gamble. Why not trust them to know what they're doing? If such gamble is really too big for the 'team' to risk, then disable the switch/button by simply disconnecting the wire before the race or something.

Having a speed button readily available and then tell him to not use it in a race is simply asking for trouble.

Kchrpm, I don't really think it is required to be an "asshole", or whatever negative adjective one wish to use, in order to be successful. Successful folks for sure had put in a LOT of effort so every little thing that might get in their way might really tick them off since they've most likely put themselves under a lot of stress... and consequently they may end up saying or doing something seemingly stupid. Hey, we're all human. It's probably good to show your human side that way... as long as you continue to deliver the goods. As long as your passionate at it, yeah sometimes perhaps you go over the edge and fuck things up, but as long as you learn from it and continue on this passionate pursue and make yourself better at it, eventually you'll be a legend in your field.

I think your passion can motivate you to develop yourself more and can also be contagious on an emotional level to other people. We all can have our bad days or failures, but as long as we learn from our mistakes and pick ourselves back up and get the job done, people will remember you. Nobody's gonna really care if Hamilton bitched and whined at Monaco if he continues to win races and championships.

Like I said, the only perfectly gentlemanly champ during modern f1 history is Damon Hill. Quite honestly, I don't think we need more Damon Hills in F1. ;)

Kchrpm
May 29th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Kchrpm, I don't really think it is required to be an "asshole", or whatever negative adjective one wish to use, in order to be successful.

I don't think so either, but there are definitely successful that are assholes, and their asshole-ish behavior is some part of their success.