PDA

View Full Version : FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU LÉ CANUCKIEU 2014

FaultyMario
June 5th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Here we go again.

Power track, expect to see all the Renaults outgunned.
Will we see Kimi outpace/outluck Fred or will we finally see some decent on-track action from the two of them?
Can Sauber rebound from the massive ass rape Bianchi gave them?
Will Maldonado have a race?
Low Downforce venue, Does it mean that Macca can get away with their understeer issue?
Speaking of Bianchi, as he Kamui'd Kobayashi in the final stages of Monaco, will the Banzai master, and one of the most entertaining mofos out in Ile de Notre Dame in the last few years, let it rest or does he have something in store for Jules?
When the lights go out, who will gain the more places, is it going to be Alonso (again)? My boy Guti (seems that's the only skill the dude's got untarnished)? or Can Massa surprise?
Will The Smile prevail over the Finger?
And once again, can Twat beat Nob in the title race?

Some Tech preview, from around the web:

Most teams have – apparently – been running pretty much maximum downforce at every race this year. So what does that tell us? Yes, they have less downforce but not necessarily drastically less than last year. The power units produce three times more torque than the V8 predecessors and the tyre compounds are far harder. This means that tyre surface temperature is easily generated under acceleration, which is good for a race start but not really what you want in the corners.

The teams will be looking to boost core temperatures as this allows the driver to lean on the car a lot more, increasing cornering speed. The best way to increase core temperatures at the rear is increasing rear downforce and, because the torque levels are so high, this is no surprise. However to balance the car you need to ramp up the front wing angle or find performance at the front end, otherwise you will just have heaps of understeer.

This is evident on a number of cars, except Red Bull who probably have the best chassis – just. Mercedes has a hint of understeer which shows that they still have performance to find from the front wing area. By contrast, McLaren have been having big issues with front tyre temperature all season and this is why the drivers want more front downforce because they can’t balance the car by reducing rear downforce as this decreases core rear tyre temperatures.

More here. (http://richlandf1.com/?p=23310)

And on the subject of the "Red Bull Team" secret test, Sommerfield had this to say (http://www.somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/tech-rebuttal-red-bullstr-secret-test.html):

To me it is clear that providing the aerodynamic implications of 5.2 are followed any team conducting this type of test could do so without consequence. The use of such a test would also correlate with both Renault and the Renault powered teams getting a better handle on some of the issues they encountered during the pre-season test. As we know issues surrounding the actual installation of the powerunit within the chassis had led to some issues that hadn't showed up on Renault's dynamometers. I would suggest that as works teams both Mercedes and Ferrari had already conducted such tests complete with their chassis, the regulations permit it and so it would be foolhardy not to take advantage.

and I think this illustration is by Craig Scarborough:

Now, on to the poll...

Godson
June 5th, 2014, 07:10 AM
where is the pol.....?

FaultyMario
June 5th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Closed the poll as I was typing it... We're going to manually input our preferences for our favorite Canadisized F1 driver, I'll Start:

My vote goes to Nico "Fogelhund" Hulkenberg

Freude am Fahren
June 5th, 2014, 08:54 AM
That illustration is interesting. Ferrari running a sort of top mounted intercooler?

Random
June 5th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Or some sort of water/air set-up?

FaultyMario
June 6th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Fred punches above his (car's) weight:

Results from FP1

1 14 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:17.238 21
2 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:17.254 0.016 25
3 6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:17.384 0.146 32
4 1 Sebastian Vettel RedBullRacing 1:18.131 0.893 28
5 77 Valtteri Bottas Williams 1:18.361 1.123 20
6 3 Daniel Ricciardo RedBullRacing 1:18.435 1.197 26
7 22 Jenson Button McLaren 1:18.446 1.208 33
8 20 Kevin Magnussen McLaren 1:18.514 1.276 31
9 7 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:18.578 1.340 15
10 25 Jean-Eric Vergne STR-Renault 1:18.643 1.405 14

MR2 Fan
June 6th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Closed the poll as I was typing it... We're going to manually input our preferences for our favorite Canadisized F1 driver, I'll Start:

My vote goes to Nico "Fogelhund" Hulkenberg

FEHnando EHlonso?

FaultyMario
June 6th, 2014, 10:35 AM

Interesting.

Godson
June 6th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Does Kimi get the new engine cover?

And how the hell is he 1.3 off? FFS dude.

FaultyMario
June 6th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Ok, It seems the reason for the above times is that Alonso got the new car floor for FP1, and they tried it on Kimi for FP2. It's giving signs that it is working as intended. Also, the Ferrari V6 is NOT low on power, It has a consumption issue, which over a race distance means the Ferraris have to be more considerate on their engine settings in order to just finish.

The Renault on the other hand, has a systems integration flaw, Because RB had to take the development of the '13 so far down the road to stay ahead in the championship battles, they were not able to give a test mule to Renault on time, so most of the PU-Chassis integration was done virtually, with a lot of the problems showing up until they started offseason testing. These were the expected stuff, overheated electronics, unbalanced rear ends, clogged-up radiators, etc. Basically, Renault-Red Bull started late. It has been rumoured that, some of the fine tuning of the PU has been done by the Red Bull software people, with help from the Total engineers, and not by Renault themselves.

Who knows, maybe Mercedes won't win all the rounds after all.

FaultyMario
June 6th, 2014, 02:17 PM
And then SV is fastest after the Mercs in second practice because he waited for the track to be rubbered in to use his option tires. Actual pace order seems to be Merc-Fezz-Bulls.

G'day Mate
June 8th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Interesting race! Glad I got up at 3am to watch it

G'day Mate
June 8th, 2014, 11:44 AM
!!! :snap:

Fogelhund
June 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Heck of a finish to the race. Massa deserved better there, Vettel was massively lucky. Looked like Perez moved on that one and is at fault. Congrats to Riccairdo on his first win.

IMOA
June 8th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Amazing race and an unbelievable win for Dan

G'day Mate
June 8th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Did you get up early too IMOA or are you in a different part of the world?

IMOA
June 8th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Didn't so much get up as stayed up. Public holiday here tomorrow (well, today) so will worry about sleep later. Sun is just coming up and it is a wonderful day :)

G'day Mate
June 8th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Ah, yeah I grabbed a few hours sleep and will go back to bed now (sun's not up in Adelaide yet which will make it easier) - the public holiday worked out well hey. Happy Ricciardo Day.

Freude am Fahren
June 8th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Good race. I like seeing Ricciardo win, but I was kind of interested in a perfect season run by Mercedes.

Real shame about the crash at the end. I think it was a combination of a late-braking Massa being caught out by an early braking Perez, and Perez moving a bit left (which I think isn't unusual there, as it's a natural line out of the kink?)

overpowered
June 8th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Yeah. Perez was on the racing line and he didn't actually move all that much before the contact. Massa left no room whatsoever. I don't see how anyone's blaming that on Perez. That was all Massa in my opinion.

Alan P
June 8th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I think Perez had designs on moving to cover the inside, not realising that Massa was already there. Apparently Button overtook 2 cars on the last lap?

overpowered
June 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Massa passing Alonso on track was nice.

Godson
June 8th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I'd look at it as a racing incident. From Perez's point, he might not of saw how close he was. Massa closed that gap extremely fast.

Amazing race.

Only 11 or 12 finished the race. I'm blown away at that number.

Here is to hoping Massa and Perez don't have any injuries those hits looked painful.

samoht
June 8th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Massa and Perez both fine, as far as the doctors can tell.

I saw it as Perez moving under braking, if you compare where he was to the line that Vettel was on ahead, Vettel was on the normal racing line against the right hand edge of the track, Perez came half a cars width in at least. Anyway the stewards agree with me, five grid place penalty for Perez at next race.

I was surprised that Rosberg was allowed to get away with cutting the chicane once without handing over the place. If someone has burnt up their tyres getting up to .3 secs behind you, all ready for the DRS pass, and you can suddenly pull another three quartets of a second gap so they have to close up into DRS range again, that is a huge defensive advantage. Anyway that was the stewards decision.

Rosberg did well to bring the car home with no Kers.

Godson
June 9th, 2014, 01:55 AM
per perez and Massa, I could see Perez drawing a penalty. I was just playing the devils advocate and calling it a racing incident. Good thing Ricciardo got past Rosberg when he did huh?

FaultyMario
June 9th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Haven't watched the race, yet. Nothing like avoiding it over the weekend to have your roommate spoil it for you on monday morning.

FaultyMario
June 9th, 2014, 08:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/WRTu05L.jpg

Brilliant caps of the Massa/Perez, situation.

Blerpa
June 9th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Perez did move and anyone thinking otherwise is half blind. Perez is an idiot.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114376

Force India reply is so moronic is amazing these people run a F1 team.
And yes there was a pass just a T1, just in this very same race.

Very bad that Rosberg didn't get a penalty for his chicane cut. He blatantly gained a distance advantage.

overpowered
June 9th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Look close on the overhead. It was a very small movement and he wasn't braking more than Vettel before impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BObcBrAe-ro

Random
June 9th, 2014, 10:05 AM
"Why you leave a car out when you've got that sort of problem is beyond
me."

BECAUSE YOU'RE IN THE POINTS, ROB.

:p

I like Perez's response: "If someone thinks you can keep two Red Bulls behind for as long as we did with so-called 'terminal' problems, they are clearly misguided."

:up:

Business as usual in F1: :blahblah:

;)

FaultyMario
June 10th, 2014, 09:16 AM
After a lot of Gifs and explanations I tended to think it was 50/50.
Having watched the race last night, I'm convinced it's Massa's fault. Sure, Perez wiggles under braking, but they were going way too fast, and the context helps fill in the blanks, Perez has just been demoted by Vettel, he is going to try and close the door on Massa, that is obvious. It's also obvious Massa is a little to eager to get ahead and try to put the fight to Seb, He's got the car for it. Massa was the fastest of the leaders, but he got a little too hot headed after spending a couple of laps behind an unyielding Bottas.

FaultyMario
June 10th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Oh, and Kimi, what the fuck was that, man?

And anybody know what happened to Ericsson?

Reynard
June 10th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I think Perez had designs on moving to cover the inside, not realising that Massa was already there. Apparently Button overtook 2 cars on the last lap?

Would that not be the two drivers mentioned in your first sentence? ;)

In regards to the accident between said two, I can understand why Sergio got the penalty but if I'm stewarding... at that point of the race, it's simply a racing incident. Felipe had a chance at a possible podium and was going to try something but likewise he's experienced enough to expect any and all defenses. Honestly I thought his momentum ended as soon as he failed to pass Seb when he initially caught him but that's just me. ;) The thing that irks me (and others too obviously) is Nico's non penalty. This sort of thing I find happening a lot more in motorsport lately were as you can leave the circuit and re-enter with an advantage gained and it's deemed a ok.

Say nothing about Zanardi or Rossi at Laguna where it's actually a blatantly obvious pass of another vehicle by leaving the racing circuit... but even when a pass isn't made it's still tolerated. An example that really got under my skin was last years WSBK round at Monza. In race 2 (I think) Guintoli is closing on Sykes in the closing laps, finally gets right along side him into the braking zone for the Della Roggia chicane. At which point Sykes outbrakes himself trying to defend the position and just runs straight through the chicane, rejoining at least half a dozen bike lengths ahead of Sylvain and keeps on going, winning the race and afterwards feels that he did nothing wrong. Typically when a position hasn't changed on track, they look at lap times to see if the accused party cut a lap time that was significantly quicker then what they were averaging to determine if an advantage was gained or not. Of course any racer knows it's not that simple. If you've spent the last few laps slowly reeling someone in, you may not have enough time, tires, momentum, pressure on your opponent, etc. to have another go. I'm sorry but if you're neck & neck with someone and can't make a corner, you do not deserve to keep the position. You screwed up, give up the position and then try to get it back fair and square... that's what I say (and do when racing online at least ;)). The same goes even if you're not side by side (like Nico and Lewis), you still screwed up, made a mistake and gained an advantage while the competitor gets nothing for the work put into getting to the point of (probably) forcing you into messing up in the first place. :mad:

rant over ;)

CudaMan
June 10th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Alonso and Hulkenberg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpeE0xeAze8

Random
June 10th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Button passed Alonso and Hulk, I think, right at the end.

edit: what he said. :lol:

Godson
June 10th, 2014, 08:10 PM

In regards to the accident between said two, I can understand why Sergio got the penalty but if I'm stewarding... at that point of the race, it's simply a racing incident. Felipe had a chance at a possible podium and was going to try something but likewise he's experienced enough to expect any and all defenses. Honestly I thought his momentum ended as soon as he failed to pass Seb when he initially caught him but that's just me. ;) The thing that irks me (and others too obviously) is Nico's non penalty. This sort of thing I find happening a lot more in motorsport lately were as you can leave the circuit and re-enter with an advantage gained and it's deemed a ok.

Say nothing about Zanardi or Rossi at Laguna where it's actually a blatantly obvious pass of another vehicle by leaving the racing circuit... but even when a pass isn't made it's still tolerated. An example that really got under my skin was last years WSBK round at Monza. In race 2 (I think) Guintoli is closing on Sykes in the closing laps, finally gets right along side him into the braking zone for the Della Roggia chicane. At which point Sykes outbrakes himself trying to defend the position and just runs straight through the chicane, rejoining at least half a dozen bike lengths ahead of Sylvain and keeps on going, winning the race and afterwards feels that he did nothing wrong. Typically when a position hasn't changed on track, they look at lap times to see if the accused party cut a lap time that was significantly quicker then what they were averaging to determine if an advantage was gained or not. Of course any racer knows it's not that simple. If you've spent the last few laps slowly reeling someone in, you may not have enough time, tires, momentum, pressure on your opponent, etc. to have another go. I'm sorry but if you're neck & neck with someone and can't make a corner, you do not deserve to keep the position. You screwed up, give up the position and then try to get it back fair and square... that's what I say (and do when racing online at least ;)). The same goes even if you're not side by side (like Nico and Lewis), you still screwed up, made a mistake and gained an advantage while the competitor gets nothing for the work put into getting to the point of (probably) forcing you into messing up in the first place. :mad:

rant over ;)

I agree completely.

Crazed_Insanity
June 11th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Tough call regarding the penalty. If you were in charge, would you really want to penalize a popular driver for such a mistake? I'm not sure if I'd want to penalize Zanardi... I dunno, perhaps the best option is to setup walls like Monaco? You cut a corner and you destroy the car! Or perhaps we can be a bit forgiving..., just set up some sort of tire cutter..., if you cut corner and dip your tires down the wrong part of track, you slowly lose tire pressure? Whatever the solution, I guess it should've been design into the course from the beginning... don't give drivers and opportunity to be able to take short cuts. Otherwise drivers will somehow take advantage of it... whether intentionally or accidentally.

Anyway, regarding the Perez and Massa crash..., I thought it's pretty obvious that it's a racing incident. Perez shouldn't have jerked his wheel, but Massa also obviously took no evasive actions. Incident could easily be avoided, but both obviously want to be at the same spot at the same time for whatever reasons... Maybe Massa was talking to the pit or texting that's why he was unable to react?!?!?

player2
June 11th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I heard today that .gov.uk is proposing to quadruple penalties for txting while racing and for speeding in the pit lane :)