PDA

View Full Version : Drones.

thesameguy
June 5th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Yeah, this should probably be in the RC thread, but whatever. I really want this thing:

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/dji-phantom-fc40-uav-drone-quadcopter-1?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=ae3f6edfd3-Daily+Digest+-+20140605+-+Woot&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c5ca76da11-ae3f6edfd3-292028953#tracked

Anyone know anything about aerial quadcopter spying devices?

Crazed_Insanity
June 6th, 2014, 09:06 AM
That one doesn't have a live feed you can look at. I like the one Brookstone sells... which you can fly with ipad and also see in real time what it sees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHv4RRemLz4

thesameguy
June 6th, 2014, 09:40 AM
That is pretty neat. I do like the live feed as it makes a whole bunch of things a whole bunch easier. :) I guess that means you need to have an integrated camera. I kind of like the idea of being able to switch out the camera, but one that has an integrated one and can handle a payload (for a gopro, or whatever) would be ideal.

A few other things that are important are max elevation, some sort of low battery handling, and autopilot. I have to do more research.

overpowered
August 7th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I have issue with the name (it's not bionic in any sense) but it's kind of interesting, regardless:

http://www.mybionicbird.com/?lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT4BdF-HIDU

Drachen596
August 7th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Coworker has a Phantom 3. He likes it alot. Not sure hes flown it much latwly though.

its got a ton more features than that one which is to be expected as thats the original phantom from a few years back. It does say you can get a live feed from that camera but not sure how ot works on the old ones.

Cam
August 8th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Timely thread. My wife bought a DJI Phantom 4 for the trip we are on now. I have been flying it quite a bit. You do not need a mobile device (iPad, iPhone), but it helps a lot to see where you are flying, and pretty much essential if you want to see what you are filming. It works awesome with an iPad. One day we forgot the iPad and we just used her iPhone. The video was not as smooth, but it worked well enough to see what I was shooting.

It has some cool automated features, but it is easy to fly without them, especially for someone who plays as many video games as I have. :) It even saves a preview on whatever device you are using so you can review it right away. It has a 30% battery remaining warning, which has been plenty of time for me to bring it back home. Batteries charge pretty quick and last ~25 minutes flight time. However, I discovered they do not work in cold weather, under ~15C. Twice, I had to stash them inside my jacket for a while to get them warmed up before flight.

Overall, a darn amazing piece o' kit. I can field any more specific questions later. I will be on a glacier for several days and out of contact. Lucky for you, more field testing is planned. :)

It makes everything look epic.

Random
August 8th, 2016, 08:23 PM
"Honey, will you stop flying that thing in the bedroom?!"

Cam
August 8th, 2016, 08:33 PM
:D

I should add that it does not allow you to fly within five miles of an airport or over certain areas, like military bases.

No flying in the house for me. :( (We live close to an airport.)

Random
August 8th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Yeah, one of our local autocrossers had his out at a recent autocross on a closed​ airport, and it got ten feet off the ground and then flashed a warning at him and landed. Whoa.

G'day Mate
August 8th, 2016, 09:25 PM
I have issue with the name (it's not bionic in any sense) ...

Maybe there's a dead bird inside it?

KillerB
August 9th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Good. This GA pilot hates the thought of these amateur-hour UFOs anywhere near him in the air.

neanderthal
October 14th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Not a drone, per se, but... this is a thing (https://shop.revzilla.com/common-tread/dubais-police-department-releases-video-of-flying-motorcycle)

But what happens if something strikes one of the propellors and only three work? Does it still hover? How about two? Wouldn't four rotors above the "rider" be better for visibility purposes (looking down in this particular case.) Any gyroscopic effects from rapid turning? Will it fly upside down? What happens if the batteries run out mid flight, is there an automatic landing protocol established so it doesn't crash? What permissions are required to fly over private properties?

So many questions.

Rare White Ape
October 14th, 2017, 10:42 PM
None of those questions are really relevant right now, but they are worth asking because this sort of thing will have to be worked out in the future.

I'll be willing to bet that the footage from that video would look lame as fuck without the post-effects layered on. It appears it only flew about 20 meters with the pilot.

Which mean's we're a long way off having piloted drones out of publicity stunts and into the real world.

The359
October 14th, 2017, 10:47 PM
Agreed, as with all Dubai Police purchases, they're more for show than anything else.

speedpimp
October 15th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Talking to a drone sucks because they just keep going on and on and on and on and...

Yw-slayer
October 15th, 2017, 03:46 PM
https://youtu.be/2YHuUhGLBE8

Some footage shot by my friend over the last few months and put together by him yesterday.

speedpimp
October 15th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Sweet.

G'day Mate
October 17th, 2017, 08:30 PM
:up:

Random
October 17th, 2017, 09:16 PM
Dam!

Yw-slayer
October 18th, 2017, 05:41 AM
Knew you'd love that.

George
October 18th, 2017, 09:07 AM
HK doesn't look as crowded as I imagined.

Yw-slayer
October 18th, 2017, 09:55 AM
There are relatively large parts of HK which are sparsely housed. Most of the territory is actually countryside and country parks. The parts which are settled are, however, very densely settled.

novicius
October 18th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Anyone know anything about aerial quadcopter spying devices?
Every day that passes without a drone attack makes me happy. :up:

I'll be a sad panda when some clever asshat ruins it for everyone. :(