PDA

View Full Version : Not plasma.

thesameguy
June 26th, 2014, 12:15 AM
In addition the health related issues plaguing my situation, my TV is in the process of dying. I'm irked because I use the damn thing so little I expected it to last forever, and moreover now that I actually "need" it (not much to do when you can't stray out of eyesight from your bed-ridden puppy), it's crapping out on me. I bought the thing in '08 - six years (almost to the day) of limited use doesn't strike me as a great lifespan. OTOH, it was soooooo cheap when I bought it, I can't be that mad at it. It's one of Samsung's slim DLPs, probably one of the last DLP TVs ever made. IIRC it's a 56", but I wouldn't swear to it. It's served me just fine, but the actual DLP chip is failing, which gives a result not unlike stuck pixels on an LCD TV. It's tolerable now, but it's clear the problem is getting worse quickly.

The DLP module is like $500, which I'm certainly not going to throw at it. The DLP chip by itself is available from questionable resellers from $50 to $200 - the price is variable based on the specific chip, and I don't know which one I have at the moment. Replacement is apparently not that big of a deal, little risk of failure. The only reason I am entertaining replacing it is because at six years old the bulb is noticeably (though only slightly) dimmer than it should be. It doesn't really affect me, but I'm not sold on the idea of spending money on a chip if the bulb is just going to fail anyway. Six years of even limited use does feel like a good run for a bulb. If the DLP module is on the $50 end, I'll try it - but if it's on the $200 end, the TV is going in the e-waste pile.

Even though buying a TV makes about zero financial sense right now, my 2014 budget is pretty much shot to hell, so maybe I don't care if it slips just a little more. Seems like the gtxf is pretty much a plasma fan club, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has any opinions on the current crop of 2k LED LCDs. Although I like the picture plasmas give, I cannot tolerate the sound they make, especially with an out-of-range signal or bright picture (like a light computer desktop). I guess most people can't hear it (or maybe just aren't bothered by it), but I've yet to encounter a plasma display that doesn't make the sound and just don't want to risk getting one that is abnormally loud (like the one that's in the office's upstairs conference room - I can hear it across the office). I'm also not a fan of their power consumption or physical characteristics - but those are by far secondary considerations. It's the sound. THE FUCKING SOUND.

The only three things I need are an HDMI port, 1080p, and at least 120Hz. I don't need any other inputs, I don't need smart features, I don't need 3D, I don't need any audio functions. I don't even care so much about picture quality - I just don't spend enough time in front of it to really care all that much I guess. I'd like backlit (vs. edge lit), but that's hardly a need. Not sure how much it's worth to me, in any case.

Yw-slayer
June 26th, 2014, 02:07 AM
The Samsung one we put in our bedroom is OK, but has a Bluetooth remote control. That seems to keep running out of battery (every month or so), most likely because of the Bluetooth on the motherboard of my ASUS HTPC. STUPID DESIGN

Kchrpm
June 26th, 2014, 07:03 AM
The only three things I need are an HDMI port, 1080p, and at least 120Hz. I don't need any other inputs, I don't need smart features, I don't need 3D, I don't need any audio functions. I don't even care so much about picture quality - I just don't spend enough time in front of it to really care all that much I guess. I'd like backlit (vs. edge lit), but that's hardly a need. Not sure how much it's worth to me, in any case.
Given these lean requirements, may I suggest whatever's on sale?

Blerpa
June 26th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I'd go Sony.
No worries about Plasmas: no one produces them anymore.

21Kid
June 26th, 2014, 12:57 PM
And the few plasmas that are left are getting a premium from people that WANT them.

I 2nd Keith... If you hardly every watch it and don't care that much, just get the cheapest one you can.

FaultyMario
June 26th, 2014, 01:40 PM
If i may add, No LG or Samsung. Crap QC

Dicknose
June 26th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Why 120hz?
Do you have any sources that are higher rate than 60 frames?

TheBenior
June 26th, 2014, 09:36 PM
AFAIK, the only 60hz TVs left in the US market are smaller TVs.

Blerpa
June 27th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Same as in Europe: 50hz TV sets are just for the smallest ones and/or the lowlest crap.
Anything else is just 100hz at least (and already being dismissed by some), 200, 400, 600 and up.
Yet nothing comparable to the last VT and ZT60 series by Panasonic, and even not as good as even price value bestseller ST60 series.
That's how bad LCD LED are compared to last year (and even year before) Panasonic's Plasma sets.

thesameguy
June 27th, 2014, 03:16 PM
There is still quite a selection of large 60Hz TVs available here. Admittedly the number is shrinking, but it's not a problem to find them. I think there is still a significant anti-120Hz contingent out there, and people are willing to sell what amounts to overpriced TVs to them. Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Vizio, and all the weirdo off brands (Seiki, Changhong, etc.) all make 50"-60" TVs at 60Hz. I do believe once you go past 60", there are no more 60Hz sets.

In any case, I don't mind the higher refresh rate for media, and prefer it for gaming. Which isn't to say refresh rate is the sole issue, it's also reaction time - but broadly speaking faster refresh rates indicate a set with a faster reaction time. Since the TV's job is skewed pretty heavily towards gaming, the faster refresh is desirable. No point in having a good GPU in the HTPC if it's going to be limited to 60fps. That was actually a component in me going with DLP originally.

After some more looking, I think the "whatever's on sale" advice is the way to go. Seems like that means LG or Sharp.

Kchrpm
June 27th, 2014, 05:45 PM
As long as higher hz TVs can be set to leave the interpolation turned off, I'm fine. For whatever reason I don't like the way movies look when bumped up to 120 Hz.

TheBenior
June 27th, 2014, 11:29 PM
You don't like motion interpolation because it looks unnatural.

Like the mixing of the races.

Random
June 28th, 2014, 09:30 AM
*snort*

thesameguy
June 29th, 2014, 08:08 PM
The 240Hz displays fix the motion issue, but it doesn't bug me anyway. The bedroom TV has been 120Hz for years, I'm well used to it by now. Initially it was distracting, but that's way in the past.

GB
July 6th, 2014, 02:19 AM
I have an LG refrigerator, LG front-loader washer, LG dryer, and an LG 32" LCD in our bedroom.

All purchased around 3 years ago.

And I'll never buy LG again. They're all failing.

And my 42" LCD in the main room just failed. I'm going to replace it with a 60" Sharp Quattron.

[EDIT:] To be fair, the 32" LG isn't failing... it just sucks. Terrible on-board sound, and an 'artificial-looking' picture.

thesameguy
July 6th, 2014, 02:03 PM
I had a really bad experience with an LG refrigerator and have never looked at another LG product since. It's highly unusual for me to totally write off a brand based on one bad experience, but I seem to have made an exception with LG. Chances are the TV is going to be a Sharp, though if something Samsung or Vizio popped up I'd probably go for it. From looking around, it seems really tough to beat Sharp in the bang for the buck category... They used to be *the* name in LCD, but I guess they ran into big financial troubles and have fallen behind the Samsung machine in a big way.

Random
July 6th, 2014, 02:31 PM
My f-i-l's older Sharp Aquos is going strong. :)

thesameguy
July 7th, 2014, 12:09 AM
This is looking pretty appealing...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JP7OW76/ref=twister_B00CW6QESM

$1150 with Prime discount. Pixel-level dimming being the attraction. The 2013 model received a lot of good reviews, and the 2014 model is supposed to address a few of the lingering concerns. Hmmmm.

thesameguy
July 7th, 2014, 01:10 AM
... and it looks like my TV uses one of the $200 chips. Good times.

The intertubes suggests this was a congenital problem with all late Samsung DLPs - to the point there was recall. Sadly, my TV was not included in the recall. Seems like lots of people had this problem on this TV in 2010 and 2011 when the TVs were three or four years old. The fact mine lasted about seven shows how little I've used it.

I am definitely not buying the chip. $600 buys a crappy 4k Seiki 55" TV (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Seiki-SE55UY04-55-4K-UHD-2160p-120Hz-LED-HDTV-4K-x-2K/35030328?affillinktype=10&dest=9999999997&oid=100143.1&sourceid=32795085460473691777&u1=71e57114f9d34524b988703a0e231eec&veh=aff&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY), which I think would be a better investment than renewing the Ye Olde DLP - though maybe not by much.

But, based on the progression of the problem, I probably have another month of satisfactory use from it. Pictures with lots of black look like a starfield, but whatever. In a month the dog should be in good shape and I won't need the TV again for many months. I'll keep my eyes out, but at this exact moment in time I think I'm going to drag my feet and hope for HDMI 2.0 and yet-cheaper 4k sets. No, I don't need 4k, but it can't hurt to see how that develops.

Phil_SS
July 7th, 2014, 06:21 PM
My f-i-l's older Sharp Aquos is going strong. :)

Same. Bought my 37" in 2006 and it still looks good. Though it is a 720P. I could buy 6 of them now for the price I paid back then. :(

And I agree about the faster refresh rates. My brother has this big behemoth TV that has a 240hz refresh rate and I was watching a movie on it and it was just screwing with my head. When I got home I looked it up and the effect is called The Soap Opera Effect. And I was like, haHA! Totally hate it. I won't go above a 120hz and I was thinkin I might go with a 60 for my next TV.

thesameguy
July 7th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Anything more than 60Hz can have that effect... it doesn't matter whether it's 120 or 240. You do get used it - it didn't take me long at all. And, IMHO, you really want that fast refresh. Games and sports look (and work) much better with a high refresh. Most TVs let you turn it off for content that doesn't warrant it, if you haven't become accustomed to it.

21Kid
July 7th, 2014, 10:38 PM
FWIW, my 4 yr old 55" Vizio LED LCD is still going strong. Have only had a problem with the remote.

thesameguy
July 8th, 2014, 12:15 AM
I've have a 37" upstairs for four years and it's been great, and my parents may have the same one you do (a four year old 55") they also like. I think Vizio's initial quality isn't (wasn't?) very good, but if you get a good one they tend to last. My experience with their customer service is also very, very good - and that's as good a reason as any to get one I think. All the really big guys have crap service no matter how you slice it.

Blerpa
July 8th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Anything more than 60Hz can have that effect... it doesn't matter whether it's 120 or 240.

It does matter that it happens on LCD and LCD LED only.

21Kid
July 14th, 2014, 08:18 AM
And I agree about the faster refresh rates. My brother has this big behemoth TV that has a 240hz refresh rate and I was watching a movie on it and it was just screwing with my head. When I got home I looked it up and the effect is called The Soap Opera Effect. And I was like, haHA! Totally hate it. I won't go above a 120hz and I was thinkin I might go with a 60 for my next TV.

Most TVs let you turn it off for content that doesn't warrant it, if you haven't become accustomed to it.
My TV has it and it was the first thing I turned off. Can't stand it.

thesameguy
July 19th, 2014, 08:39 PM
1080p 120Hz 55" LED ... and cheap!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-120hz-hdtv-roku-streaming-stick-included/5119194.p?ref=195&loc=4870372316e447109f50010c28cbbb6e&id=1219109872678&skuId=5119194

Might have to do this tomorrow.

Random
July 20th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Wow, that is cheap.

thesameguy
July 20th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I stared at the Best Buy page for about 30 minutes and decided to wait until today before making any decisions. Then I watched a trio of depressing documentaries culminating with one about America's consumer debt problem. The part about debt problems that drove people to suicide was especially uplifting. I decided I don't need a new TV. The snow problem is hardly an actual problem. The longer I wait, the better and cheaper things will be.

... none of which is to say I have a debt problem. Aside from the house, I have no debt. Even the full three years of the Fiat's payments are in a money market account (well, two years are - this/current year is in a checking account). I'd be paying cash for the TV (okay, whatever, I'd put it on a credit card, get the points, then pay it off. Gosh.). But watching two hours of people who ruined their lives buying stuff they didn't even remotely need puts one in a different mindset, and a TV is totally optional as far as I'm concerned.

Random
July 20th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Word.

Yw-slayer
July 21st, 2014, 11:27 PM
The longer I wait, the better and cheaper things will be.

True about pretty much everything.

But watching two hours of people who ruined their lives buying stuff they didn't even remotely need puts one in a different mindset, and a TV is totally optional as far as I'm concerned.

Whereas having 5 Saabs and 3 other cars in the driveway is not!!

(says the guy who is going to rent a parking space which, after 15 months, will have cost more than the present value of the 2005 Legacy which he will keep in it)

21Kid
July 22nd, 2014, 04:50 AM
:lol:

thesameguy
July 22nd, 2014, 07:28 AM
Whereas having 5 Saabs and 3 other cars in the driveway is not!!

2 Saabs and 5 other cars. GET IT RIGHT!

The difference - perhaps only in my mind - is that at any point I can get more cash out of the driveway than what I have into it, which is not true of any television. I admit it's a little sick, but with the exception of the SPG (which is non-negotiable ;)) I always consider my ability to liquidate when buying a car. Secondly, and much less importantly, is that cars sitting in a driveway doesn't cost my health or electricity. A TV costs both. At least with cars (or carpentry!) there's a good chance you're improving your skill set or whatever. A TV's only purpose is to suck time - you get nothing back. Unless maybe you use it for watching documentaries about America's consumer debt problem. :|

thesameguy
July 22nd, 2014, 12:09 PM
Argh.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A7525022&dgc=CJ&cid=47997&lid=4279734&acd=10550055-1225267-525f1e0627e74ab7a8b2a8c12a64e2d7

$1200 - $350 gift card + free second year warranty. $850 for a 65" Sharp Aquos.

I must stand firm, with credit cards tucked neatly away. ;)

Yw-slayer
July 22nd, 2014, 04:40 PM
Do it LIKE A PATRIOT

TheBenior
August 4th, 2014, 08:13 PM
My fiancee just took advantage of Best Buy reward points and a free year of Netflix and picked up an LG 42LB6300 as a bedroom TV.

The picture doesn't look as good as my 5 year old Panasonic G25 series plasma, but it is nice and small and doesn't throw out heat like a plasma, both of which are important since our master bedroom is in a finished attic with a pitched roof and southern exposure.

Kchrpm
August 5th, 2014, 04:03 AM
There's a 40" Sony for $348 at Walmart that was trying to tell me I needed a bedroom TV.

thesameguy
August 5th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I am feeling increasingly good about waiting... we haven't used the TV in two weeks now that the dog is a little better, and I am confident we can wait until late September. I'd really like to get an affordable, back-lit, multi-zone microdimming TV, but those units are twice what comparable edge-lit ones are going for. Spending $2k on a TV doesn't make sense. Who knows - as Christmas approaches 4k TVs might dump in price. While I don't need 4k, one nice side effect is that 4k TVs tend to have a lot of processing power, and that's nice to have.

Phil_SS
August 5th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I've been reading up on TVs, still rockin a 37" 720P :hard:, and I've become very interested in the Vizio P-series line coming out this fall. Looks like it might be the way into 4K at a reasonable price. 55" is gonna $1400.

Otherwise I may just go with a 1080P, non 3D, full LED array model. That should be pretty cheap by Christmas time.

thesameguy
August 6th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I'm hoping so, but it seems like edge lit is still king which is mind-boggling this far down the road. I would have thought edge-lit would be reserved for the cheapest of TVs by now and it's not. I think most people prize thinness over good quality.... and I guess I get it, but it's still irksome. I'm hoping the full arrays get cheap by Christmas but I'm not expecting them to, honestly.

Kchrpm
August 6th, 2014, 08:55 AM
I think most people don't notice the quality difference in the setting where they're deciding. It would likely be better if stores showed some more taxing demo material on loop (like how Best Buy shows off some awesome 4K footage in their Magnolia area on the really high dollar TVs), instead of just relatively tame loops (that are probably more representative of what people will get while streaming compressed 720p from most cable/sat/streaming services).

Phil_SS
August 6th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I'm hoping so, but it seems like edge lit is still king which is mind-boggling this far down the road. I would have thought edge-lit would be reserved for the cheapest of TVs by now and it's not. I think most people prize thinness over good quality.... and I guess I get it, but it's still irksome. I'm hoping the full arrays get cheap by Christmas but I'm not expecting them to, honestly.

Even the cheapest Vizios are full array. A 55" in the E-series is $680. That's what I'm keepin an eye on. I'm thinkin there may be deals and I can get a 55" E-series for $400 by then. I think there will be a big push for 4K this Christmas and older technology is going to see a big cut.

I just have to decide to go with old technology or make the jump to the latest and greatest. When I bought my Sharp I knew it would be more than good enough for most of the media for most of its life. And I was right. HDTV is still only 720P and wont be changing for a long time. Most games are only 720P, though that will slowly begin to change with the Xbone and PS4.

thesameguy
August 6th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I had no idea all Vizios were full array - that only increases the likelihood that's what I'll get. I've been plenty happy with all the Vizio products I've seen. I'm installing a midrange Samsung 55" this weekend, so I'll have a chance to see how it looks and if the price premium is worth it. Frankly, I doubt it will. (Only reason I got it for this guy is that he is comfortable with Samsung's SmartHub for streaming apps.)

I skipped 720p entirely, as the HTPC running 1920x1080 was the single most compelling reason to get a new TV back in the day. The best of last year's technology is always a good bet and, dare I say, an AWESOME VALUE.

thesameguy
September 5th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Dell has the 60" E-series for $800 with a $200 gift card (use on Dell stuff within 90 days). Not sure what I need from Dell for $200, but OTOH it's $2 more than at Amazon, so...

Just might have to do this.

Kchrpm
September 5th, 2014, 12:08 PM
60" brother :up:

thesameguy
September 5th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I'm doing this. Grabbed a $200 gift card off the intertubes for $180 and can net an additional 5% back through Dell Advantage. So it's $780 with a $200+$39 gift card back. I have to pay tax (boo) but there's free 2-day shipping through Dell Advantage, so fair enough.

I am looking forward to a non-snowy TV, and it should be here in plenty of time to play my first xbone game on... FH2. :up:

Edit: Wait, I lied - I don't get Dell Advantage back on the $180 in gift cards... so it's $780 with $200+$30 back. ;)

21Kid
September 5th, 2014, 12:47 PM
REALLY?!? That's a good deal. I was looking at that TV already too.

How much does Dell Advantage cost?

thesameguy
September 5th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Is free!

thesameguy
September 5th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Here's the page:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A7658008

It will show the $200 gift card once it's added to your cart.

Edit: There is also a second year Dell warranty included, also shown in the cart

Drachen596
September 9th, 2014, 10:28 AM
are smart tvs really worth it?

i ask since my old tube tv just crapped itself and i'm looking at the various tvs available.

Kchrpm
September 9th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Depends how much extra they cost, but most likely no. You can get all of the same features with various set top boxes, and depending on which one you choose they are more likely to get software updates and additional features than the smart TV.

thesameguy
September 9th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I'd second that (although the current generation of Samsung devices seem to be staying current). Still, I think you're way better off with a Roku or FireTV. Something to look for might be an MHL-compatible HDMI port, as I suspect it seems to be gaining support and set top boxes may very well migrate in that direction. In general, I say leave software to people who specialize in software rather than people who specialize in hardware. Of course, you can just use your xbox or playstation too - I think most streaming services have apps for those devices.

Jason
September 10th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Depends how much extra they cost, but most likely no. You can get all of the same features with various set top boxes, and depending on which one you choose they are more likely to get software updates and additional features than the smart TV.

Not to mention, spending $50-100 to get a new media box after a few years, is waaaaayyy easier than spending $1000 on a new TV because your old TV's "smart" functions are (insert disappointing thing here).

Kchrpm
September 10th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Yeah, but you could just get the new media box and plug that in rather than get a new TV, same basic result.

21Kid
September 11th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Lawyered!

thesameguy
September 16th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Got my $780 Vizio yesterday and ran it through it's paces - some BD movies, some xbox, and some streaming content. I'm very happy with it - it's pretty much exactly what I'd hoped it would be. I honestly don't think the picture is as crisp as the 55" Samsung I installed last month, but the contrast is better and blacks blacker so it's probably the superior choice for my particular application. I was going to fire up some twitchy video games but settled into a beer & movie instead - c'est la vie. In a vacuum, it's not the best TV, but it is by far and away the best $600 TV and might be the best $800 or $1000 TV. I think when that $200 from Dell comes back I'll use that to buy it's little brother and put that upstairs. I'll shuffle the old 37" Vizio to SoCal.

thesameguy
September 17th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Forgot - the speakers on this thing are an embarrassment. I tested them out just so I'd know, but they are totally unacceptable. I don't need them and their quality never figured into the purchase process so I'm not disappointed - but I am surprised as to how bad they are!

21Kid
September 18th, 2014, 11:48 AM
1980's automobile bad?

I very rarely use mine. I suppose they have to have them just in case someone needs them. But, anyone buying a 40" + TV most likely has it hooked up to a stereo, I would think.

thesameguy
September 18th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Yeah, that bad. I guess a problem with slim TVs is there ain't much room for speakers.

Blerpa
September 20th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Yep, they are majorly bad.
I have my plasma hooked up on my old Panasonic stereo... it sounds miles better.

Jason
September 22nd, 2014, 03:13 AM
Yeah, but you could just get the new media box and plug that in rather than get a new TV, same basic result.

Isn't that exactly what I said? O.o

Kchrpm
September 22nd, 2014, 03:28 AM
You said in a few years he might want to get a new TV if his smart TV functions disappointing. He could just get the media box then, whether he goes smart TV or dumb TV now.

thesameguy
October 17th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Needed a TV for one of the guys at the office and ended up ordering one of the Vizio 4k models - 70". Should be here next week, will report back.

21Kid
October 17th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Please do!!! I've had the P60 in my Amazon cart for a week now and keep wanting to pull the trigger.

CudaMan
October 18th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I have not yet had the chance to set up my P55. Maybe next week, or the week after...

21Kid
October 20th, 2014, 06:24 AM
:eek: I take it you are not home? I would not have that much willpower. :lol:

CudaMan
October 20th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Pretty much. :) Also need a stand, and a seating solution for the room, and some room darkening curtains. The joys of moving!

21Kid
October 20th, 2014, 12:59 PM
It doesn't come with a stand?

FaultyMario
October 21st, 2014, 09:11 AM
Hey, congrats!

CudaMan
October 21st, 2014, 08:34 PM
By stand I meant entertainment storage solution. :) Sorry. The TV of course comes with a little stand to place it on a desk or whatever.

Ordered this (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexera-Tuxedo-58-TV-Stand-in-Black-Lacquer/17160137), with the optional back panel, but from different sources because it was cheaper that way. Not sure yet when the base will arrive. But at the moment I have nothing to put the TV on.

21Kid
October 24th, 2014, 02:12 PM
*checks watch*

thesameguy
October 24th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I am... not impressed. A few months ago I installed a Samsung 4k, so this Vizio is the second 4k I have installed. I must admit I don't have any genuine 4k content to play so all I have as a benchmark is 2k bluray, but that caveat spoken the Samsung has a much better picture. Probably more a commentary on the Samsung's scaling engine than the panel itself, but bluray and DVD both look tangibly better on the Samsung. Also, the Samsung SmartHub is faster and nicer looking than the Vizio app thingy, and my opinion is that streamed content looks better in the Samsung app than the Vizio app - maybe also a side effect of the Samsung's processing power? The Vizio remote with the underneath keyboard is superior to the Samsung's situation, but the Samsung includes a second touchpad remote as well as voice and gesture control to the party which the Vizio does not.

Although $800 is a fair chunk of change, once I've crossed into "fairly expensive TVs" I don't think I'd choose the $2500 Vizio over the $3300 Samsung. I guess if you've got $2500 to spend getting a 4k Vizio versus a 2k Samsung (or whatever) might make sense, but if you want a 4k TV, get the Samsung - that'd be my recommendation. Personally, I have a hard time justifying a $2500 TV or even a $1000 TV, though, so maybe I'm talking out my ass. I got my old 56" Samsung DLP for $900 and my new 60" Vizio E-series for $600. I don't have high expectations at those price points. :shrug:

Edit: And, for clarity, the reason why "we" have this P-series is because there was $2500 to spend, not because we were looking for 4k. I wouldn't verbalize it here, but knowing what I know now I think the smarter approach would have been saving a few bills and buying a 2k TV. :(

21Kid
October 27th, 2014, 06:47 AM
I can't seem to find a 70" 4K Samsung for $3300. Which model is it?

c|net (http://www.cnet.com/videos/vizio-p-series-good-and-cheap-but-flawed-4k-tv/)agrees that the Vizio isn't that impressive also. :(

thesameguy
October 27th, 2014, 08:30 AM
It wouldn't be 70" - 65" -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-64-1-2-diag--led-4k-ultra-hd-tv-2160p-120hz-smart-3d-hdtv/4497003.p?id=1219098556917&skuId=4497003

And it looks like it's down to $3k, so that's not bad.

21Kid
October 27th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Ah, I see. So $500 more for a smaller, but better looking TV. Hmmm...

Upon further research, I don't think that would be worth it for me.

The 60" Vizio I was looking at is only $1700, which is $700 cheaper than the Samsung 60". Quite a difference for the price range (30% premium) Plus the Samsung is edge-lit....

The poor black levels translate to a less-than-stellar picture in dark scenes, like the alley fights in The Amazing Spider-Man. Shadow details tend to get lost, and while the picture doesn't quite look washed out, it's notably light across the letterbox borders, and bloom can creep in at the left and right edges.and has a lot of input lag. I play a lot of games and that could bother me.

The 65HU8550's input lag was a high 141.8 milliseconds in our tests, and the screen lacks a specific Game mode to improve performance. That's a pretty stiff fraction of a second, when many 1080p HDTVs easily lag only a quarter as long.

On the other hand, the Vizio has a specific game mode.
The TV's 120 Hz refresh rate handles most content very well, with minimal blurring and ghosting, though it's not markedly better than other high-end 4Ks. Of particular value is the TV's "Clear Action" setting, a backlight shuttering mode that dims the backlight to improve resolution clarity during difficult-to-render sequences like camera panning. The P652ui-B2 is capable of a very high luminous output, in fact, so turning on "Clear Action" is almost entirely beneficial regardless of what and where you're watching.
his setting also helps with input lag, which is very important for fast-paced, competitive video games. Of the TV's five HDMI inputs, the fifth is outfitted to handle 4K at a 60 Hz refresh rate (the rest are 30). The real benefit, however, is that 1080p/720p sources—such as current consoles—can render at 120 Hz, or 120 fps for video games. Vizio calls this feature "High Velocity Mode," and it's quite rare outside of the gaming monitor industry.

thesameguy
October 27th, 2014, 10:46 AM
It's definitely a tough call. Sadly, there is no universally best TV, they're all some sort of compromise in one way, shape or form. Because I do relatively little console gaming I prefer the better picture over the better input throughput, but obviously that's just my preference. Personally, I am reaffirmed in my $600 60" 2k purchase. There's a good chance both more expensive Vizios and Samsungs would have been disappointing in one way or another and I've had felt poorly about dropping ~$2k. I can't be mad at anything that's $600. ;)

21Kid
October 27th, 2014, 11:09 AM
True... I am still debating holding out for a 4k OLED screen. But, it doesn't seem like there is going to be a reasonably priced one any time soon. :|

thesameguy
November 2nd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Dell has a 55" LG 1080p/240Hz on sale today for $479. Gonna use the credits I got back fro the Vizio to buy it. 55" is overkill for the bedroom, but whatever. For $122 out of pocket (tax and shipping) I can't figure a reason not to go big. Pressure sure I will get $120 back as a credit too via Dell Advantage... so, um, free?

21Kid
November 3rd, 2014, 05:17 AM
:eek: You can't beat that!

Yw-slayer
November 3rd, 2014, 10:45 PM
Wow, that's a steal. DO IT, BRO

thesameguy
November 4th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Our healthcare may be shit, but everyone gets a giant TV.

CudaMan
November 6th, 2014, 12:07 PM
^ CudaMan likes this comment.

thesameguy
November 6th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I was unpacking a 49" Vizio last night and noticed the Energy Star tag on the front. It said the average cost per year to run the Vizio was $11. Being the curious type, I asked "Based on what?" Sadly, the answer is based on $0.11kw/h and five hours per day of use. TV power consumption ratings are based on being used five hours a day. Man, that's a lot of TV.

TheBenior
November 6th, 2014, 12:19 PM
That's about average, according to most surveys.

Kchrpm
November 6th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I wonder if that's the average a family watches total, including the kids stuff and the parents.

CudaMan
November 6th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I never understood how a TV can cost so little per year being on that long. You'd think they would take a bit more power - ok LEDs are efficient but still.

-

I haven't had much time to watch my Vizio 55" yet, especially from good source material, but the one SkyHD broadcast looked pretty sweet to me. I'm still fiddling with settings and stuff. The motion blur/step/smoothing stuff is what I find most unusual about LCD displays. In that way, I miss my DLP.

thesameguy
November 7th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Doesn't the 4k Vizio had their "720Hz" refresh on that? I've found the default settings to be pretty darned good - but then again I have literally never watched cable broadcast on one, so.... :p

If you are watching cable, that typically means a 60Hz refresh, so your best picture will probably be with a 240Hz setting. On the Vizio, the "Game" mode should be a good setup for that.

Kchrpm
November 10th, 2014, 10:35 AM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-KDL60R510A-60-1080p-120Hz-Class-LED-HDTV/37332616

60" Sony for $800. FTW.

stephenb
November 29th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Anyone made the move to OLED yet?

LG are currently running a promotion in the run up to the festive season which means their current 55" model (http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-55EC930V)can be picked up for £2000 with a five year warranty, very tempting. Reviews from CNet (http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/lg-55ec9300/), HDTV Test (http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-55ec9300-201410203929.htm), AVForums (https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-55ec930v-ec930-curved-full-hd-3d-webos-oled-tv-review.10889) were all positive. The only negative would appear to be the malfunctioning colour management system but fortunately accuracy out of the box is good. Current promotion runs out on the 17th Dec in the UK, whether the price goes back up to its original launch price of £3000/3500 remains to be seen.

Of course CES is just around the corner at the start of January but right now LG seem to be the only company really pushing OLED forward in the domestic space.

Edit: I should add I did go and look at one in person but a bright shop lit environment isn't the best place for a serious evaluation. That said I had full control over the remote and there was nothing that put me off it once I'd adjusted the picture to something more natural. Hankering after a size upgrade from my 42" Pioneer plasma which I've had for around 7 years now! The only other contender is the new Panasonic AX902 (http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/viera-televisions/led/tx-55ax902.html) but it's serious coin (£3300).