PDA

View Full Version : I have achieved personal validation through professional advancement (Good news inside.)

Sad, little man
June 28th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Most of you know that I work at Ford, but I usually don't get into the details of the whole situation. Well, for the last six years, while I've been doing work related to Ford Motor Company, I've technically been working for a contract company... Sort of like Edward Snowden, but without all the messy ethical violations.

About two and a half years ago, I moved into a position where nearly everyone in my department was an actual Ford employee. I thought it was only a matter of a year or two before I got hired as well. Well, at about the two year mark, I got frustrated with the slow pace of things and began to apply for other positions within Ford that had a better chance of turning into a position working directly with Ford.

I got turned down for all of those, but then about two months ago a position came open within Ford right in my own department. I applied, and nailed the interview. So, as soon as I come back from the long July 4th weekend, I will start working as a real Ford employee. :D

Day to day, since it is technically a new position, my work will be somewhat different, but not drastically. The main thing is that I will have better pay, massively better benefits (no pension though, those days are gone :(), and more opportunities to move around in the company in the future.

Lastly, and maybe the most important, I won't have to constantly feel like a second class employee within the company.

Cam
June 28th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Great to hear. Congrats. :)

G'day Mate
June 28th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Yay :) :up:

FaultyMario
June 28th, 2014, 06:43 AM
What those before me said.

Where are you taking her for the long, celebratory weekend?

Rare White Ape
June 28th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Congrats!

Please explain the pension thing to me. Did your new employer previously pay full pensions to ex-employees on retirement?

Jason
June 28th, 2014, 02:40 PM
:up:

Alan P
June 28th, 2014, 03:07 PM
The pension thing does confuse me slightly. Last year the UK went to automatically enrolling people into pensions unless they specifically opted out yet your company doesn't even have an opt in program?

Oh and well done!

TheBenior
June 28th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Traditional private pensions have pretty much disappeared in the US, and been replaced with 401(k) accounts where the individual is more responsible for the investments of the plan.

Kchrpm
June 28th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Fix Or Repair Daily, AMIRITE

Good job!

speedpimp
June 28th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Congrats.

sandydandy
June 28th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Congrats! No more sad little employment, I guess. Celebrate!

speedpimp
June 28th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Oh he will still be sad, little employee, just with a new set of things to feel sad and minuscule about.

21Kid
June 28th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Congrats!!!

Random
June 28th, 2014, 08:10 PM
:toast:

Godson
June 29th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Sweet!

samoht
June 29th, 2014, 01:09 AM
Congratulations. I hope this leads to more opportunities for job satisfaction and making a difference within the company.
I've heard it's super-hard to move from contractor to permanent employee at Ford, so well done.

So, when do you take delivery of your new company Mustang ?

neanderthal
June 29th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Well done mate.

My rule of thumb is put away 15% in your 401k. Keep it mostly in stocks if you're going to be working for another 20 years. And stick with that 15% (auto increase is your friend!) through thick and thin.

i was able to go from ~$10k->$100k in less than ten years doing that. I haven't even checked in my 401K in the last 5 years or so. I just check the stock prices.

Edit: Oh, and i have a pension too.

Cash poor. Asset poor. Retirement fund rich.

thesameguy
June 29th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Man, 401k management sucks. Talk about playing a long game.

Conman
June 29th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Congrats. I just bought a new Fusion. I guess about 3 cents of your next paycheck will be coming from me!

Phil_SS
June 29th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Bitchin! :toast:

M4FFU
June 30th, 2014, 02:02 AM
w00t!

Crazed_Insanity
June 30th, 2014, 06:46 AM
You know, I wonder how far or high up do you have to advance professionally in order for you to give up your username and become a joyful little man? :D

novicius
July 4th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Hey-hey, congrats SLM! :toast: :toast: :toast:

pl8ster
July 4th, 2014, 11:31 AM
As someone who currently is an on-site contractor...congrats!