PDA

View Full Version : Wireless bridge

FaultyMario
June 29th, 2014, 09:14 AM
This will sound completely like one of George's threads but trust me, it's me... El Cheapo me.

So a wireless usb stick is like, I don't know enough pocket change for me to try something like this. :D

I have the technicolor modem Carlos Slims includes with the our monthly package.

And somewhere in one of the boxes I found this:

A Netgear WGR614 Wireless-G Router. Question is (I'd like to move the desktop (Tl;dr - back from tabasco) to where I can't run a CAT5 cable), can I use both devices to make wireless bridge or do I need to stop being such a baby a fork out for the USB wireless dongle? or buy a long, long cable and be neat enough to hide it well instead.

Cam
June 29th, 2014, 09:27 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about civil engineering. :lol:

Alan P
June 29th, 2014, 03:23 PM
You need to find out if you can configure the WGR614 as a Wireless Access Point only. If you can then you may be able to Ethernet it to the Slimbox and the connect to that. Name both the SSID's the same, on different channels and your devices should hop seamlessly between the two, connecting to which ever signal is strongest.

Thought about homeplugs/powerline adaptors instead?

FaultyMario
June 29th, 2014, 03:45 PM
found this (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965/~/using-wpn824,-wgr614,-or-wgt624-routers-as-an-access-point).

I'm feeling free to fire away questions once I'm stuck. And that's because I love you guys. And because I will get stuck.

I'm anonymous, expect me, no really you should expect my questions.

thesameguy
June 29th, 2014, 07:59 PM
You won't be able to do what you want to do. Wireless ethernet bridges are kinda special - I've never seen a router that can perform this function (you are trying to switch wifi host with wifi client). Just buy a USB wifi adapter, they're like $10.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN725N-Wireless-Adapter-Miniature/dp/B008IFXQFU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404100734&sr=8-3&keywords=tp-link+wireless+usb

I have that specific one, works great.