PDA

View Full Version : What would you guys do in this situation?

Sad, little man
July 2nd, 2014, 07:42 PM
Today I opened up a new checking account because I'm planning to switch banks soon.

I went into the cubicle of one of the somewhat senior bankers to get everything set up. About halfway through the process, this guy walks out of one of the offices, and without so much saying excuse me, proceeds to interrupt the banker helping me open up my checking account. He starts chewing her out about something she did wrong on some document. Yes, right in front of me, and while we were in the middle of the process of opening the account. She tried to defend herself a little bit, but he re-affirmed that she didn't do something right and to be more careful next time.

Once it became clear that he had interrupted us for the sheer purpose of just berating her, I locked my eyes on him with an intense stare until he left. I'm assuming that he was self absorbed and he was used to people looking at him, because he didn't seem to realize that I was glaring at him with a very angry expression.

In retrospect, I probably should have stood up, offered him a handshake, asked his name, and said something along the lines of "I don't think we've met....... Well, I think we should know each other if you're going to be inserting yourself into this situation."

However, I'm seriously considering attempting to write a letter to one of the higher-ups at this bank (it's a big chain.) If nothing else, I could praise the banker for doing a good job in the face of a very unprofessional manager chewing her out. I believe I also caught the first name of the manager. My only worry about mentioning him is that if he were reprimanded, he may take it out on her in some way.

It just really pisses me off to see people in management roles belittling their employees in front of someone, and also not respecting that we were busy opening my account.

Godson
July 2nd, 2014, 08:01 PM
I would have interveened. Part of nursing school was conflict resolution and required us in how to handle a situation like that.

It is a very awkward place to be though. Sorry you had to experience it.

Dicknose
July 2nd, 2014, 09:16 PM
was this at the bank you plan to move To or From?

If it was the bank you are going to, Id reconsider if thats who wants my business.

thesameguy
July 2nd, 2014, 09:33 PM
What DN said.

I wouldn't have gotten involved in their mix, but I'd definitely have visited or called the branch manager on my way out and let them know about what happened. Unless the person helping you was in the middle of ax murdering someone she should have been left alone until you were gone. The fact that doucheface thought that moment was the time to express his displeasure is highly unprofessional. There is about no scenario where his actions were called for. If that was my place, he'd have been written up and possibly fired.

neanderthal
July 2nd, 2014, 11:37 PM
What DN said.

I wouldn't have gotten involved in their mix, but I'd definitely have visited or called the branch manager on my way out and let them know about what happened. Unless the person helping you was in the middle of ax murdering someone she should have been left alone until you were gone. The fact that doucheface thought that moment was the time to express his displeasure is highly unprofessional. There is about no scenario where his actions were called for. If that was my place, he'd have been written up and possibly fired.

This.

I'd write the branch manager and division manager as well.

One thing I have a low tolerance for is poor treatment of employees.

Crazed_Insanity
July 3rd, 2014, 09:23 AM
I probably would've done similar to what you've done..., except I wouldn't give him the angry eye. I'd probably just roll my eyes instead.

If that "exchange" were more than 5 minutes, I'd interrupt the asshole by nicely asking him that perhaps this an wait until after I'm done?

If he doesn't get it, then yeah, I'd just do my business else where and forget about opening an account there.

It'd certainly be nice to write letters to complain to folks near the top, but I usually only do that to companies which I like alot and would spend the time to try to warn them to watch it. For new businesses..., whatever. I'd rather just do my business else where rather than waste time complaining...

FaultyMario
July 3rd, 2014, 09:51 AM
What Justin said.

I wouldn't say anything to management unless this bank's chequebook account was the only rational choice. by a wide margin and I had to stay with them. Or if you had let the lady finish the process. If they're now your bank, absolutely, show your displeasure with their work practices.

thesameguy
July 3rd, 2014, 03:53 PM
Here's the real question:

Was that dude trying to saving you agony by interrupting your session with a special needs employee?
Or was that dude the special needs employee?

tigeraid
July 4th, 2014, 05:56 AM
I think my reaction would depend on how my meeting was going with said employee. If it seemed like she was an idiot that was reading from a Q&A script and didn't seem to know shit about shit, as I find is the case with MOST "account managers" you meet when you walk into a local branch, I think I might just sit back and enjoy it. Seriously, I've been with TD for over around a decade now and really like their customer service on their help line, as well as their online "EasyWeb" deal... But in the branch? They're fucking morons. They're all 20-something women who clearly went to school for accounting or something, and this is the best job they could manage. So I would enjoy it.

If it seemed like the meeting was going well and I was getting good info then yes, I would definitely interrupt and ask him to fucking take it outside.

Sad, little man
July 4th, 2014, 10:33 AM
She was middle aged, and had a certificate on her desk showing 25 years of service... 'nuff said.

I'm going to write some sort of bank manager about it.

For all those saying take your service elsewhere, no, I'm not going to do that. There is a fine line between demanding good service, and being a crotchety old man... And I'm only 27.

This is a massive bank with hundreds of branches, I'm not going to quit them over one experience at one branch... Besides, everyone else was really nice.

Zevious Zoquis
July 5th, 2014, 05:02 AM
I'd certainly say that's worthy of a letter to the branch manager (if the guy in question wasn't in fact the branch manager himself). Whatever the specific circumstances were, it's tremendously bad form to rake an employee over the coals right in front of customers (not to mention other employees). That sort of thing should be done in the privacy of an office behind closed doors. It just shows a real lack of respect for a person and whether the employee is an idiot or not doesn't really matter - she was hired and has apparently been there a long time. If she's an idiot she should have been let go long ago.

harper
July 9th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Assuming the lady helping you was doing a good job and otherwise nice, I would've said something after he left to break the tension and let her know that you think That Shit Was Crazy. "Case of the Mondays?" would've been good. But yeah, I would've been on guard and wary of dealing with that douche-canoe in the future.