PDA

View Full Version : Grosser Preis Von Deutschland.

Alan P
July 18th, 2014, 02:00 PM
You know what to do.

Random
July 18th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Keke is Finnish, y0. :p Nico's mom is German.

FaultyMario
July 18th, 2014, 09:50 PM
And no one's running F-R interconnected suspension.

Will MB get 0.74 seconds on RBR or will it be less than 2 tenths?

FaultyMario
July 19th, 2014, 12:03 AM
This one's Dan's.

Am I being too optimistic, or is our own champ's driving style a lot like Ric's?

XHawkeye
July 19th, 2014, 06:36 PM
@F1Photographer (https://twitter.com/F1Photographer/status/490446483481964544)

Fantastic to see #F1 cars now with no #FRIC.Cars moving around,corner entry,apex &exit.Real sense of guys hard at work in cockpit. #GermanGP

FaultyMario
July 19th, 2014, 08:20 PM
German GP grid:

1. Nico 2. Valtteri
3. Massa 4. Magnussen
5. Dan 6. Vettel
7. Nando 8. Kvyat
9. Hulk 10. Pérez
11. Jenson 12. Kimi
13. JEV 14. RoGro
15. Lewis 16. Sutil
17. Guti 18. Bianchi
19. Pastor 20. Kamui
21. Max 22. Ericsson

Hamilton could start from the pitlane. His crash on Q1 was due to a brake failure, so if they need to change to another part spec (or even swap from Brembos to Rosberg's brand), he gets sent to pitlane.

Godson
July 20th, 2014, 08:51 PM
I enjoyed the race. I wish there would have been more battling like last race, but I will not complain.

CudaMan
July 21st, 2014, 01:21 AM
Ricciardo earns my driver of the day. Great racecraft and superb job holding off an inevitable pass by Alonso.

Massa lol.

Bottas proving his worth time and time again.

C'mon Kimi get the lead out already!

overpowered
July 21st, 2014, 12:02 PM
I feel bad for Massa.

Even given the superiority of his car, Hamilton's drive from the back was still pretty impressive.

Ricciardo did a great job getting back in it.

Vettel did a good job with respect to Alonso.

Bottas did great too.

Kimi should have had time to adjust by now.

Up until now, Mercedes has only finished 1st, 2nd or retired this season. Now they have a 3rd place as well.

IMOA
July 21st, 2014, 04:47 PM
How long before Ferrari start offering Ricciardo a drive. Kimi is expensive, close to retirement and not really up to it any more, Alonso doesn't have that much time left and doesn't seem all that happy with the team and Ricciardo looks like he could be the best 'italian' driver in a hell of a long time.

FaultyMario
July 22nd, 2014, 06:58 AM
There are a lot of Ifs to Dan moving to Ferrari, so without going into them, I believe Dan won't left the Milton Keynes outfit (I use their location because the names change so much) before 2017. I personally think Lewis is closer.

tigeraid
July 22nd, 2014, 11:35 AM
Hamilton's move to the front was great. Lots of solid racing throughout the field. Ricciardo vs Alonso was fantastic.

Help me out here, because talking to a lot of F1 fans, and "race fans" in general, I get mostly negative responses to my opinion: simple tracks are often the ones that produce the best racing. Relatively speaking of course, I'm talking about layouts that don't have all sorts of stupid, over-complicated sections with double switch-backs, triple chicanes, decreasing radius hairpins and all sorts of other nonsense. Monza, Suzuka, Hockenheim, Spa, etc etc all seem to produce far better on-track action (as in, passing zones, side-by-side opportunities, drafting, etc) than new crap. So why the hell are all modern/new track designs trying their level best to confuse and irritate me?

FaultyMario
July 22nd, 2014, 12:43 PM
I think it's shorter tracks with a challenging turn before a good, but not too long straight that really help this generation of F1 cars put on a good show.

Shorter tracks: More chance to get "stuck" in traffic, the slowest cars are probably 2-4 seconds off the pace depending on fuel load. If you add some mischievous start and some battles at the back, the tailenders are caught by the first round of pitstops.

Challenging turns before straight: current generation cars are either really fucking fast in a straight line, or they are Red Bull like: good on curves low on top speed. Mix the two together and voila!

Not too long straights: Sepang and China and Bahrain overstate the effect of DRS. When the straights are not that long, drivers have to work a little more for the overtake, It's not a push button pass anymore.

Anyway, I don't think it's a matter of complicated/simple as Austin, a complicated layout, gets rave reviews from drivers, and neither Degner at Suzuka nor Campus-Stavelot at Spa are of the plant-your-right-foot-down-and-steer-type. I think it's a matter of track designers putting the cars' dynamics first and not like in the last decade of circuit design where commercial interests were favored and thus you had to give some architectural play to The Huge Thing By The Side Of The Track That Is A Monument To The Local Guvmint's Corruption and because there was no other way about it, it had to have long straight and then ninety degree corner (or triple chicane) and then a humongous straight.

tigeraid
July 22nd, 2014, 01:46 PM
For what it's worth, I don't put drivers' opinions high on that list either. They look for a DRIVER'S challenge, which stuff like COTA and Abu Dhabi certainly have. I mean in terms of how entertaining the racing is for US.

FaultyMario
July 22nd, 2014, 01:49 PM
Oh I like variety, too. But by the same token Spa and Interlagos are both entertaining. One is complicated the other is simple.