PDA

View Full Version : Chevrolet SS gets even better

Kchrpm
July 23rd, 2014, 03:31 AM
I'm obviously biased, but to me this is the best grown up vehicle out there now that they have added the final touches.

http://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-ss-manual-transmission-magnetic-ride-confirm-1607990115

It already brought (IMO) good looks, a 415 hp/lbs*ft V8, RWD and 5-person seating to the mix for $45k, now topping it off with a manual transmission and the magnetic suspension, why would the well-to-do parent go anywhere else? You can't get a stick in anything else similar until the ~$70k, outgoing CTS-V.

MR2 Fan
July 23rd, 2014, 06:06 AM
I must be out of the loop, I didn't realize there was a car just called "SS"

Yw-slayer
July 23rd, 2014, 06:48 AM
Why go anywhere else? Because you want a turbo four and AWD. Duh.

KillerB
July 23rd, 2014, 07:37 AM
Well, if I was looking for a four door, this would likely be at the top of my list now.

Crazed_Insanity
July 23rd, 2014, 07:47 AM
Looks nice..., but if I'm in the market for a BMW 5 series, will I really consider getting a Chevy? Not really.

But if I'm pining for a 5 series, but can't really afford one, then perhaps I'll consider it. ;)

I dunno, need a test drive to know for sure.

KillerB
July 23rd, 2014, 08:59 AM
If you wanted something like the E39 5-series, you're not getting it from BMW anymore.

thesameguy
July 23rd, 2014, 09:19 AM
Everything post E39 is ugly in & out. I don't care if they're the best drive on earth, I'd never own one.

Kchrpm
July 23rd, 2014, 09:56 AM
Why go anywhere else? Because you want a turbo four and AWD. Duh.
I would put that in the "dissimilar" bracket :)

Kchrpm
July 23rd, 2014, 10:08 AM
Looks nice..., but if I'm in the market for a BMW 5 series, will I really consider getting a Chevy? Not really.

But if I'm pining for a 5 series, but can't really afford one, then perhaps I'll consider it. ;)
If you're in the market for a 5-series with a manual transmission, you have to get an M5, for more than $90,000. That's quite a leap over the SS (which basically comes fully loaded), for just the base price on the M5.

MR2-
It was introduced last year as a 2014 model. I thought it was basically just a showroom car to show NASCAR fans (it's the model their aero package is based on now), so it's unlikely they ever do much with it.

KillerB
July 23rd, 2014, 02:00 PM
FWIW, you can still get a 535i with stick, which honestly would be my 5-series of choice, if I was insisting on having one.

Phil_SS
July 23rd, 2014, 03:10 PM
I'm confused why cars like this are such a premium over a Mustang GT or Camaro SS.

Yw-slayer
July 23rd, 2014, 03:22 PM
The main question was why go anywhere else.

IMOA
July 23rd, 2014, 04:16 PM
I'm confused why cars like this are such a premium over a Mustang GT or Camaro SS.

Because they have to pay australian wages to build them

Yw-slayer
July 23rd, 2014, 05:44 PM
Lol troof

thesameguy
July 23rd, 2014, 07:11 PM
FWIW, you can still get a 535i with stick, which honestly would be my 5-series of choice, if I was insisting on having one.

I've never become acclimated to the taste of vomit, so I'd have to go with anything else, including a Chevy Spark.

Kchrpm
July 24th, 2014, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I saw that. Starts at $55,000 for 300 hp.

Kchrpm
July 24th, 2014, 05:59 AM
The SS in particular is fully loaded with options (that's part of the concession of it being made in such low numbers), so you have to compare it with a fully loaded Camaro SS, which is about $38,000. That's only a difference of about $5,000.

Hell, the base Camaro SS starts at $34,350. I thought it was under $30k when it was introduced?

Edit: Fully loaded Mustang GT ends up around $38k, too.

novicius
July 24th, 2014, 07:55 AM
It's a very unique car, I definitely approve of the improvements. :up: :up:

Still *waaaay* too expensive for only taking onramps quickly. :assclown:

Kchrpm
July 24th, 2014, 09:50 AM
You forgot "in style and comfort for 4-5 adults, with a glorious sound"

Phil_SS
July 24th, 2014, 05:16 PM
The SS in particular is fully loaded with options (that's part of the concession of it being made in such low numbers), so you have to compare it with a fully loaded Camaro SS, which is about $38,000. That's only a difference of about $5,000.

Hell, the base Camaro SS starts at $34,350. I thought it was under $30k when it was introduced?

Edit: Fully loaded Mustang GT ends up around $38k, too.

So it's about 7k more expensive. Still doesn't work for me. And they wonder why they never sell enough to make it worth there while.

And why is it so fuckin hard for them to get it right the first time. This car should have been offered with manual and magnetic suspension from day one. I know I would be pissed off to no end if I had bought one last year. Not only did I not get what I might have wanted they have just devalued my car something fierce by now offering the Mag suspension.

Kchrpm
July 25th, 2014, 06:01 AM
And they wonder why they never sell enough to make it worth there while.
They don't wonder why. They know exactly why. It was never intended to sell a lot. Like I said, they'd be happy if it sold 2,000 for the entire year. This wasn't a play at having a volume seller, this was "let's bring over a magazine test special and make it the NASCAR shell".

novicius
July 25th, 2014, 06:30 AM
To put that production number into perspective, Chevrolet is planning on building 2,500 Z28's in 2015. :lol:

The SS might as well not even exist! :D

Kchrpm
July 25th, 2014, 06:41 AM
And that ties into why they didn't get it right the first time. Why bother offering options on a car you're only making 2000 of anyway? They were trying to put as little work into it as possible, I'm honestly shocked we got *any* major mechanical changes.

Kchrpm
July 31st, 2014, 09:34 AM
Ok, so now they've announced it will be the first Chevrolet (and maybe the first GM product?) to have automatic parking assist. You control the throttle and transmission, the car handles the steering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zh_5QGA1zw

thesameguy
July 31st, 2014, 09:35 AM
We played with this in my coworkers Mercedes. It's super weird, and I don't like it.

Leon
August 4th, 2014, 12:33 AM
I'm a man, I don't even like automatic transmission or fly by wire throttles .... don't even attempt to take parking out of my hands! {growl}