PDA

View Full Version : FORMULA 1 PIRELLI MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2014

FaultyMario
July 23rd, 2014, 07:10 AM
Hockenheim gave us this:

A glimpse of what 0.078 seconds look like at the finish line.

Joe Saward gave us this bit of speculation:

Ferrari has not managed to give Alonso a title in five seasons of trying and the Spaniard is frustrated. He will be 33 next week and it is fairly clear that his next career decision will probably be his last in F1 terms. He is also in demand. Ferrari wants to keep him. McLaren wants to sign him. Williams would love to have him. Fernando can pretty much name his price at the moment and, as I hear it, last weekend in Germany was pretty significant as Fernando’s contract has a clause in it that says that he is free to leave his team if it is not in the top three in the Constructors’ Championship. In Hockenheim Williams overtook Ferrari for third place… What we do not know is the date at which this proviso kicks in, but normally these things must be decided by September 1 and announced at the Italian GP.

Thus, Ferrari is now exposed and Fernando can make his own arrangements without needing to worry about contracts. The question for Alonso is really very simple: what engine does he think will be the best one next season? If the answer is not Ferrari then there is no point in staying on in Maranello. If the answer is Mercedes, he has only one choice if he is serious about winning. With Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton locked in at Mercedes AMG Petronas, the best available seat for Fernando would have to be one of the two Williams drives. Niki Lauda remarked the other day that he was happy that Alonso was not in a Williams, an indication that the old charger has spotted that possibility. Sir Frank Williams, who has been around the F1 block more times than Lauda, has almost certainly spotted that as well.

If Alonso’s answer is Honda, or he feels that Honda can win the title in the course of the next three years, then he should go to Woking. The past is irrelevant.

McLaren and Honda can afford Fernando, Williams cannot, but there is little doubt that if he did do a deal to go to Grove, then Santander would probably follow as soon as it possibly could. Martini could be convinced to double, treble or quadruple its sponsorship of Williams in such a circumstance, but that’s not very likely. It was a cheap deal and is giving the firm fabulous return on its investment. However, if Williams had a competitive car and Alonso, money would arrive.

Ferrari understands that it must now fight for his services. It can give him as much money as it likes. It is a rich team, but Fernando is so wealthy these days that he lives in Spain and does not care about having to pay tax. The key question is whether or not he is hungry enough to risk a move, or would rather settle for a big Ferrari cheque and hope that the arrival of some of his old muckers from Lotus will turn the team around. That is a big gamble. Ferrari has often been a battleground between the Italians and imported helpers. The only time when this stopped was when Jean Todt ring-fenced the team against all interference and ran things as he felt was necessary. That worked. Could Mattiacci do the same or would Luca Montezemolo still call a crisis meeting every six weeks and try to run the team from on high?

The decision that Alonso makes will start the market moving, or freeze it. If he stays at Ferrari perhaps Raikkonen would be paid off. Perhaps the team would hire a youngster to build up into a star so that they have a star when Alonso does eventually go. If that happens then a Hulkenberg or a Bianchi is worth a flutter. If Alonso goes then things will get lively in Maranello. The need for a star name and the underperformance of Raikkonen would create a problem. The team could change both drivers but who would you hire? Jenson Button might stay at McLaren alongside Alonso, creating a nice super team for Honda. That would move the spotlight to Sebastian Vettel, who is not having an enjoyable time at Red Bull. The Milton Keynes team has a conveyor belt of talent in waiting with Daniil Kvyat ready to jump up if required and Carlos Sainz Jr ready to leap into Toro Rosso.

If Alonso is not available for McLaren, Jenson Button would be likely be secure and logically the team would keep Kevin Magnussen for another year. If it was a choice between Button and Magnussen as Alonso’s team-mate, the folk in Woking would probably go for Jenson… at least at the moment. If Kevin becomes more consistent he will strengthen his position.

If Alonso were to take a risk and head off to Williams, a move that would allow him to revive his relationship with Pat Symonds, with whom he won the titles at Renault back in 2005 and 2006, would the team choose Felipe Massa, who knows how to work with Alonso, or would it go for Valtteri Bottas? Perhaps Team Willy would look at selling its Finnish rising star to another well-heeled team, thus raising cash to pay for Fernando…

What's in store for Budapest? Lots of aeroupdates, the promise from Horner that they haven't given up (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115104) just yet, and the idea that Lewis could win rounds 11 thru 18 and still not be champion.

Random
July 23rd, 2014, 07:33 PM
That would move the spotlight to Sebastian Vettel, who is not having an enjoyable time at Red Bull.

"Yes, but what have you done for me lately?"

Godson
July 24th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Valteri bottas is the man. Where he lands next year will be interesting.

Freude am Fahren
July 24th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I'm betting he'll still be at Williams. He'd have to be bought out for next year right?

XHawkeye
July 25th, 2014, 03:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtU-mZRCQAAeYsZ.jpg:large

It can't happen again, surely? #F1 pic.twitter.com/M39kHlLxWc

FaultyMario
July 26th, 2014, 04:22 AM
with Maldonado and Hamilton out in Q1. who the fuck made the call to keep Raikkonen sitting in the garage and let Jules boot him out?

XHawkeye
July 26th, 2014, 06:30 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BteCLJpIcAA6Ba_.jpg:large

I wonder if Hamilton's qualifying luck will change? #F1 pic.twitter.com/6ie4arZkKj

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BteQXeMCcAAtJ6y.jpg:large

Rosberg's BBQ vs Hamilton's BBQ #F1 pic.twitter.com/pvzKFnbFSu

FaultyMario
July 26th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Snapped fuel line seems to be the cause for Hammie's BBQ pit.

Even after they split up, Ferrari and Massa continue to make jokes of themselves; what's worse, back when they were together they were a self contained unit of suck, now, they're spreading it through the oldest teams in the paddock.

FaultyMario
July 26th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Oh, and Chalchiuhtlicue (http://6thsunridaz.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/chalchi.png), we need you over in Hungary, hope you can spare us the child sacrifices.

Fiat500
July 26th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Hamilton's luck is just unbelievable.

Ferrari? Facepalm.

FaultyMario
July 26th, 2014, 03:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtfCHDzIQAAmmwn.jpg:large

FaultyMario
July 27th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Superb race! My stream was choppy, this one will need to be piratebayed or kickassed.

tigeraid
July 27th, 2014, 09:46 AM
That race was spectacular. Both Hamilton's move and Ricciardo's move at the chicane were brilliant, high level shit.

EDIT: also, Hamilton is a fucking whiner. You're chasing a guy who's two seconds a lap slower than you and you worry he blew a chicane? Fucking come on.

Blerpa
July 27th, 2014, 12:14 PM
If he's a whiner I've no idea what Barbie Babyface is. Team orders my arse.

FaultyMario
July 27th, 2014, 01:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Btk_jthCAAAofHB.jpg

Can't guarantee this guy's gonna remain sober for much longer this evening

Alan P
July 27th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Although in the live broadcast we don't get to hear all the Team Radio you can bet every other driver would be straight on the radio if anyone in front of them did the same. And Lewis was right, Nico too far back. Don't think he even closed into DRS range he was that far back.

IMOA
July 27th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Awesome race, to have a race which was still completely up in the air with 5 laps to go was fantastic. Danny Ric was great, he continues to drive like a top tier driver snatching every half chance at a good result. Alonso was typical Alonso, don't forget he was one of the first 4 drivers who were caught out by the first safety car and when the race restarted he was behind vettel. And after a shaky start hamilton drove well, he was right not to give up the place to Rosberg and I had no problem with his last lap defense that all the Rosberg fans are complaining about (forgetting that rosberg did the same thing at turn 1 earlier in the race). Fwiw I thought the stewarding has been pretty good this year, it does seem like they've decided to give the drivers a bit more lattitude to actually race and as a result we've got some proper racing.

And I do laugh at the vettel fans who are saying he was unlucky to spin but had awesome control to stop the car hitting the wall. No, he fucked up, spun because he tried to accelerate too hard on wet astroturf and was bloody lucky that when the car stopped spinning he only just tapped the wall instead of Perezing it.

Dicknose
July 27th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Don't you love a race where with 10 laps to go there is 4 people in the running to win, all on slightly different strategies.
The front guys holding on with old tyres, the hares catching them but then having to pass.
Was great to watch from go to whoa.

Dan is showing he can mix it at that level.
Been a little lucky in being I the right spot at the right time, when Merc have had problems. But being ahead of Vettel more often than not is what has given him the chance for 2 wins.

Hamilton drove well, being so close to a win from pit lane and a spin!
I can see his point about the chicane, I do think they are a bit lenient on people who cut them.
It might not be intentional, but if it was a single corner you ran wide you would not gain time and most likely lose a spot.
I don't think it would be out of place to say "give up the spot to a car that was within DRS range"
Hard to do anything to slow them without risking safety.

FaultyMario
July 27th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Woohoo! I nailed it at the poll, I should've put a fiver on him. Maybe next time I'm feeling it. :)

Godson
July 27th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Awesome race, to have a race which was still completely up in the air with 5 laps to go was fantastic. Danny Ric was great, he continues to drive like a top tier driver snatching every half chance at a good result. Alonso was typical Alonso, don't forget he was one of the first 4 drivers who were caught out by the first safety car and when the race restarted he was behind vettel. And after a shaky start hamilton drove well, he was right not to give up the place to Rosberg and I had no problem with his last lap defense that all the Rosberg fans are complaining about (forgetting that rosberg did the same thing at turn 1 earlier in the race). Fwiw I thought the stewarding has been pretty good this year, it does seem like they've decided to give the drivers a bit more lattitude to actually race and as a result we've got some proper racing.

And I do laugh at the vettel fans who are saying he was unlucky to spin but had awesome control to stop the car hitting the wall. No, he fucked up, spun because he tried to accelerate too hard on wet astroturf and was bloody lucky that when the car stopped spinning he only just tapped the wall instead of Perezing it.

This I cannot agree more with.

I watched the lap counter at lap 28 and took a double take do to what was bound to happen. Best race of the season on one of my favorite tracks.

XHawkeye
August 2nd, 2014, 08:55 AM
http://wtf1.co.uk/hungarian-gp-2014-onboard/

Watch Half An Hour Of Onboard Footage From The Awesome Hungarian Grand Prix