PDA

View Full Version : Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

KillerB
July 24th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I can't find one. Anyway, no, I've not bought one yet, but I saw a Moto Guzzi V7 today in that metallic green - I was once again captivated. I know they're nothing special in any performance category, and they hold their value so you're not going to find one here for less than $6k, for a 48 hp bike. And, yet...

There's an MG dealer two miles from my place. Must... stay... away...

http://www.ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2010-Moto-Guzzi-V7-Cafe-Classic_011.jpg

Dicknose
July 24th, 2014, 09:59 PM
I test rode a Zero electric bike on Monday, the S model.
They didnt have the more powerful SR in, but of cause it arrived the next day.
Was due to go again today, but its raining, Im coming down with a cold and the only dealer in the state is 50km away (ie not in Sydney!)

It was interesting ride - single fixed gear, no clutch.
Off the line performance was a bit poor, but Ive heard that this could be a built in feature to limit wear.
But once it was moving the performance was quite good - doing 60km/h it would easily add speed.
Maybe not like a sportsbike, but not far from it.

Thinking this might be a novelty toy and also something good for commuting and giving the Ducati the day off!

TheBenior
July 24th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I love the look of the V7, but it probably wouldn't make sense over a Bonneville or Monster 696, which have more accessible dealers around here. Also, the only published figures I've seen show that earlier years of it are slower than my 1978 GS550. But that's moot anyway since, after acquiring a house, I won't be able to afford a new bike anytime soon.

In local news, a likely combination of a bump and wind at highway speed sent my battery side cover fairing flying from my bike somewhere along the I90/94 in Chicago. They're surprisingly still available new, so maybe I'll get one and vinyl wrap or plasti-dip it.

KillerB
July 25th, 2014, 12:17 AM
Ordinarily, I'd agree with you, where I'm from. But I have a Vespa/Moto Guzzi dealer literally down the street from me. But yeah, it is slow.

TheBenior
July 25th, 2014, 12:49 AM
The nearest Moto-Guzzi dealer to Chicago is 15 miles away, which is a bit odd, given how well the Triumph "modern classic" lineup sells locally.

I'd probably be more inclined to look at the V7 seriously if they had a dealer in the city as good as our Triumph/Ducati dealer is. I'm not sure I like the idea of a dry clutch in bumper to bumper traffic, but I'd have to ride one to be sure, as I think I've only ridden bikes with wet clutches.

Godson
July 25th, 2014, 08:18 AM
You could ride my bike of the opportunity presents itself.

novicius
July 25th, 2014, 08:27 AM
I test rode a Zero electric bike on Monday, the S model.
Very cool, DN -- I've got a buddy who bought an early electric Brammo Enertia and has been commuting to work on it daily for almost five years now. :up: :up:

TheBenior
July 25th, 2014, 04:54 PM
You could ride my bike of the opportunity presents itself.

Maybe if we meet midway in STL ;)

Of course, I still need to get my air/fuel delivery problems fixed so I get more than the low 30mpg range on the highway :|

Random
July 26th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Turbocharging will fix those problems. Mmm-hmm!

Kchrpm
July 31st, 2014, 11:38 AM
http://www.ducati.org/forums/attachments/1199-panigale/58151d1334956440-anyone-else-painting-their-panigale-right-away-ducati_1199_panigale_s_tricolore_nero_1.jpg

http://www.scooppick.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Cricket-is-Akin1.jpg

Godson
July 31st, 2014, 01:30 PM
Pretty much my daily routine...

TheBenior
October 19th, 2014, 11:23 PM
So instead of doing the litany of work that my Suzuki GS550 could use (seat cover, regulator/rectifier, stator, pod filters, carb dyno tuning, rear shocks) that I also don't have time to do myself, I'm strongly considering buying a leftover new 2013 Ducati Monster 696 (http://www.motoworkschicago.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=500577&p=1&s=Year&d=D&year=2013&fr=xFeaturedInventory). Getting more power, modern brakes (with ABS!) and suspension, fuel injection, better fuel economy, less weight, and adjustable levers for my stubby fingers is looking pretty appealing, even if the valve adjustment intervals are pathetically frequent compared to other modern bikes.

http://www.motoworkschicago.com/used_bikes/photo%201%282%291%2EJPG

Rare White Ape
October 22nd, 2014, 03:42 AM
Is this the thread where I brag about how I walked around for days last weekend on Philip Island with my hugely rampant penis poking out of my pants because I was watching MotoGP and Rossi won the race?

It was awesome!

Dicknose
October 22nd, 2014, 03:59 AM
Yes!
And then I'll remind you I rode a motorbike thru the Alps to go to the race at Mugello.

Didn't go down to the island this year, but it's always good (and cold and usually wet)

Freude am Fahren
October 28th, 2014, 03:40 PM
So I'm dead set on joining the ranks of the two-wheeled by the end of the year. Going to schedule my basic rider course (mandated in FL) when I get back from Austin, and have been scouring the craigslists for a first bike. Used Ninja 250 or 300 is where I'm leaning. There seem to be quite a few under $2500 (well the 250's anyway). Been wanting a bike since I was like 8. Had a dirtbike as a teenager, and as soon as I got my license I wanted to get a sportbike.

novicius
October 28th, 2014, 06:37 PM
:up: :up: of course. ;)

Drachen596
October 28th, 2014, 11:59 PM
massive overtime at work and a pay raise have me looking at about 3 bikes i could simply drop cash on through Craigslist. however my car is in need of repairs and i have nowhere to store a motorcycle over the winter. storage is also my biggest issue even during riding season.

still going to keep saving through the winter and see what spring brings though.

TheBenior
October 29th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Judging by what cheap bikes are going for on CL now, spring brings a doubling of asking prices.

I took about half to a third in trade compared to what I could have gotten in a private sale on my GS550 come spring. But, between shelving, a work bench, my car, lawnmower, snow blower, and 1 motorcycle, my garage is pretty tight already.

Drachen596
October 29th, 2014, 03:38 AM
there really doesn't seem to be much spring markup that happens here. though it doesnt hurt that the bikes i'm looking at aren't exactly the in demand ones. i'd say 90% of the bikes here on CL are either Cruisers or Sport bikes. a supermoto, dual sport or even a street fighter bike doesn't seem to catch most peoples attention.

Rare White Ape
October 29th, 2014, 04:59 AM
Used Ninja 250 or 300 is where I'm leaning.

Good bikes, but... so nerdy.

Is there an engine size/HP restriction for learners where you are?

I hate to be too suggestive, but I reckon the best (or most fun) bike to own if you're stuck with a 250cc engine is a dirtbike with fairly grippy road tires on it, like a supermoto. Learn to ride and get some confidence on a bike that is easy to ride, easy to fix and cheap to repair.

I have found that having a 'nice' bike with shiny newness all over it is a chore. If I was starting again I'd own a more beaten-up old bike and save some frigging money, and a hooligan supermoto would be the weapon of choice.

I also love two-strokes, and the other week I spotted a gentleman upon a very luxurious KTM 300EXC fitted with 16" spoked rims and delicious Pirelli Diablo Rosso Supercorsas that had hardly any tread on them. Oh and it had a great big expansion chamber on it that sounded like death's chainsaw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxVEZRCPPpQ

Drachen596
October 29th, 2014, 05:19 AM
i'm not aware of any restrictions on motorcycle sizes for new riders anywhere in the US(i may be wrong though..) and 2 strokes are almost illegal beyond the little 49cc mopeds.

incidentally Indiana is about to start requiring the 49cc scooter riders to have a special license/permit to ride them. http://www.in.gov/bmv/3220.htm this is the result of various accidents involving scooters. (not to mention the 150cc ones are hard to tell from the 49cc ones at a glance)

TheBenior
October 29th, 2014, 06:03 AM
there really doesn't seem to be much spring markup that happens here. though it doesnt hurt that the bikes i'm looking at aren't exactly the in demand ones. i'd say 90% of the bikes here on CL are either Cruisers or Sport bikes. a supermoto, dual sport or even a street fighter bike doesn't seem to catch most peoples attention.
Ah, now that you mention it, I remember UJM prices are a fair bit lower away from the 'itching-to-make-half-assed-cafe-racer-hipsters' of Chicago. I forget that outside of large metropolitan areas, there's large swaths of the country where it's all Harley-Davidsons, Japanese sport bikes, and dirt bikes.

Is there an engine size/HP restriction for learners where you are?
This is America, where elderly men who haven't ridden in 40 years are free to buy 1700cc, 900lb Harley-Davidsons, and 18 year olds are free to buy GSX-R 1000s so long as somebody else is foolish enough to co-sign their 2.99%/60 month loans, because FREEDOM! Hell, I suppose it sounds absurd in other countries that my starter bike was a 550cc (albeit one with a 475lb wet weight and a big 50hp which gave it a power-to-weight ratio inferior to my car).

Freude am Fahren
October 29th, 2014, 07:20 AM
No restrictions, other than money, and I figure it's a good idea to ride something slow to (re)learn. I'm not planning on shiny new at all, definitely used.

Something dual purpose like that was also on my mind, but where I live there's really no need for a bike that can do more than pavement.

the 250's seem to be all the same price range nearly regardless of miles and age (to an extent of course) which makes me think I wont lose too much on it when I sell it in a year or two for something with some power.

I also wonder if bike sales in FL might actually follow an inverse relationship to what you guys are talking about and right now they are probably at peak prices, everyone wanting to get out and ride now that it's cooling off.

novicius
October 29th, 2014, 07:32 AM
'99-'08 Suzuki SV650. :up:

Can be found for cheap all over, big and knowledgeable fanbase, sold naked or with fairings (SV650S), great handler, good on gas, has a V-twin which is easier to start and learn on, and the bike will grow with you. If you get to the point where you can melt sidewalls and drag knee on this bike, you will still be keeping up with or ahead of most skilled riders on bigger bikes.

speedpimp
October 29th, 2014, 12:53 PM
This is America, where elderly men who haven't ridden in 40 years are free to buy 1700cc, 900lb Harley-Davidsons, and 18 year olds are free to buy GSX-R 1000s so long as somebody else is foolish enough to co-sign their 2.99%/60 month loans, because FREEDOM! Hell, I suppose it sounds absurd in other countries that my starter bike was a 550cc (albeit one with a 475lb wet weight and a big 50hp which gave it a power-to-weight ratio inferior to my car).

And HD has tapped into that market with their "Live The Lifestyle" marketing campaign. Nothing says freedom and individuality like Harley's conformity.

Dicknose
October 29th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Our learner limit is 660 but with power/weight limit. Was 250 many years ago.

Getting a popular first bike makes it easier to sell.
Definitely do some training, more than just the min requirement. There is a fair bit to learn.
Also find someone you trust to ride with. Someone happy to go your speed and help you.
Id suggest avoiding group rides till you have some experience. They are fun, but can easily turn bad for new riders.

The most important thing is ... JUST DO IT

Freude am Fahren
October 29th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with the actual operation of the bike from my dirt bike riding. But riding on the road in traffic will be new, as would a lot of power, and going over like 45.

Godson
October 29th, 2014, 07:46 PM
First thing. Motorcycle safety foundation beginner course. Sign up now. The hot new thing is supermoto. They are a hoot and super easy to ride due to the weight.

neanderthal
October 29th, 2014, 08:53 PM
First thing. Motorcycle safety foundation beginner course. Sign up now. The hot new thing is supermoto. They are a hoot and super easy to ride due to the weight.

2nd thing; ATGATT. All The Gear, All The Time. Helmet, Gloves, full motorcycling suit with back protection, riding boots.

Not leathers. Not work boots. Not mechanics gloves. Kevlar lined motorcycling shit. That's what you want.

Drachen596
October 29th, 2014, 09:37 PM
MSF and ABATE both run training courses here. 3 good things about them. training for beginners, waiving of DMV riding test(as the course does the testing) and depending on the insurance company a rate discount.

cost here isn't bad, i'm probably going to take one next spring/early summer whether i can afford a bike or not. considering i've never ridden one before i figure its a good way to get a bit of time on one.

Rare White Ape
October 30th, 2014, 12:21 AM
2nd thing; ATGATT. All The Gear, All The Time. Helmet, Gloves, full motorcycling suit with back protection, riding boots.

Not leathers. Not work boots. Not mechanics gloves. Kevlar lined motorcycling shit. That's what you want.

But what about FREEDOM?

Fucking hell.

Draping yourself in Kevlar isn't going to help if your skill currency is sub-par. Just get better at it and don't fall off or run into things.

ATG... NFI

TheBenior
October 30th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Realistically, the big 3 (in the US anyway) are don't ride drunk or too fast for conditions, and be on the lookout for dickheads turning left in front of you.

That being said, I still wear my helmet riding jacket, gloves, boots, jeans every time I ride.

Kchrpm
October 30th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Step 1) Buy Ducati (http://project1201.ducati.com/explore?_ga=1.175620258.1404791687.1414692462)
Step 2) Buy sweet Ducati full body armor (https://www.pure-ducati.com/p-5553-ducati-corse-14-leather-race-suit-9810211.aspx)
Step 3) Ride Ducati (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cBREwvEQSU)
Step 4) Be buried riding Ducati (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ohio-man-buried-riding-harley-davidson-motorcycle-article-1.1598403)

Godson
October 30th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Only gear I don't wear all the time is actual motorcycle pants. I always wear denim in good condition though. Judging from my first fall, it did it's job.

Kchrpm
November 3rd, 2014, 09:49 AM
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/ducatis-new-1299-panigale-is-a-205-hp-supercomputer-1654065603/1654069677/+travis

205 hp, 400 lbs, sexy sexy Italian body, mmmmm.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/guu4r8zk4j0jhio3iehv.jpg

Godson
November 3rd, 2014, 07:34 PM
Do it.

Rare White Ape
November 4th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I'll just leave this here shall I?

http://www.mcnews.com.au/honda-rc213v-s-streetbike-prototype/

Godson
November 4th, 2014, 12:31 PM
With a price tag that will make a d16RR and a superleggera seem like a bargain

Drachen596
November 4th, 2014, 11:42 PM
word is the Kawsaki H2 R street version is going to be 25k USD...

Yamaha announced a new R1 lineup the other day as well.

Freude am Fahren
November 5th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Yeah, lots of new track-only, or track focused bike announced this week. Aprilia also announced the RSV4 RR, a 201hp street bike. http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/the-aprilia-rsv4-rr-is-a-201-hp-present-to-itself-1654629544

Here's a Leno Video on the H2 and H2R in this article: http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/the-kawasaki-ninja-h2-is-in-grave-danger-of-falling-fla-1654648270
Oddly, the article and video quote very different numbers. Video says over 200hp, under 500lb. Article says 195hp/525lb.

I'll take a S100RR anyway, thanks.

The R1 certainly has an interesting front end.

Godson
November 5th, 2014, 04:27 PM
If I wanted a track bike. There would be no way I'd pass the aprilia up. Plain and simple.

neanderthal
November 5th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Am I the only person excited by the "new" Africa Twin? (http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/honda-africa-twin-prototype/)

Rare White Ape
November 5th, 2014, 11:50 PM
The new RSV is pretty damn sweet, but geez they're a bitch to ride. I rode an RSV-4 with the APRC gizmo thing a few years ago. It was savage at traffic jam speeds, but livened up nicely when the roads opened up.

So yeah, perfect track weapon.

M4FFU
November 7th, 2014, 01:22 AM
As I now don't need a car and spend much time looking at RSV Factory's with my seriousface on, I am lusting over this big time.

http://kickstart.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/husqvarna-motorcycle-concept-2-625x625.jpg

Random
November 7th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Wow, neat old-skool look to that. They should get Chad McQueen (Steve's son) to do some endorsements. :D

Freude am Fahren
November 8th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I'm signed up for the rider course Monday and Tuesday. Looks like it might be a wet one Monday though :/ Only gear I had to get for the course was gloves, so I went ahead and got some good-ish ones from a cycle gear shop. Sedici? http://www.cyclegear.com/SEDICI-Diavolo-Leather-Motorcycle-Gloves Seems to be a Cycle Gear exclusive re-branding or something. Reviews seem that they are pretty good except for reliability, as they tend to start falling apart. But they have a lifetime warranty, lots of protection, and were reasonably priced, so oh well.

Fit was tough. I tried on a couple different short cuff lines from each of Alpine Stars, Bilt, Sedici, and Dainese. None fit *perfect* unsurprisingly. I have long thing hands, so they were either too short or too lose feeling. I was between a L and XL for all except this one glove I got was a medium, heh, go figure. If they seem too small over the two day course, I can bring them back, providing I don't damage them. The best pair I tried were these from Dainese: http://www.cyclegear.com/DAINESE-4-Stroke-Motorcycle-Gloves, but at $180, I think I'll pass.

I figure these will get me through the learning period until I'm ready to get something more serious, and maybe try out some track days and invest in some full HARDCORE!!11 gauntlets.

Now once I complete the course, Cycle Gear offers a 15% one-time discount for new riders, so I'll get the whole rest of the kit at once. Helmets are going to be tough. Based on what I've read, and past experience with helmets, I'll need something long oval shaped, which I hear is Arai's territory.

TLDR: Nothing ever fits my dumb shaped body.

TheBenior
November 8th, 2014, 05:27 PM
FWIW, that's how motorcycle gear's been for me too. For gloves, I'm a medium with AlpineStars (which have weirdly long thumbs that suit my normal palm/thumbs and stubby fingers), small with Icon, between small and medium in FirstGear. With helmets, an Arai RX-Q fit well but $$$, Shoei fit in one direction but not in another, Scorpions are a great value but hot spot my forehead. You also can't necessarily trust manufacturer sizing charts; Bell lists medium as being a hat size of 7 1/8th-7 1/4th, and small as being 6 7/8th-7. My hat size has been measured by a tailor as 7 1/8th, but after trying on a Bell helmet in a store, I'm definitely a small in Bell.

I try to stick to certain brands where I know the sizing accommodates me, but then you get thrown for a loop when replacement models change things. My Nolan N-85 fits me pretty well, but it's successor N-86 has a different internal shape, so I'll have to look to another brand for my next helmet.

Drachen596
November 9th, 2014, 12:08 AM
i was surfing dealer and craigslist sites for motorcycles tonight. came across two ads i thought were a screwup by the dealer posting it.

nope, no mistake they have TWO 2007 Honda 919s in the exact same color. only difference being mileage, plate frame and a sticker.

Godson
November 9th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I'm a bit of a dianese fanboy. But nothing from any manufacturer fits me right. Being 6'2" and 160lbs, I usually need a euro 48 jacket, but the length is all off. I haven't even tried to look at the pants yet. When I go for a track suit, it will need to be custom tailored. No question. You really need to try everything on and remember that leather stretches, textile doesn't.

The 4stroke gloves are essentially the dianese full metal pro gloves with a short cuff, which I have and I love my full on gauntlets.

novicius
November 9th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Eh, buy a touch big/long if necessary -- you won't (shouldn't) notice it if you're pushing the pace.

TheBenior
November 9th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I have a hard time seeing most non-custom (or at least tall) sizes in jackets and full suits at the right height/length not being baggy on Tyler. I wish my First Gear size medium jacket was slightly longer in overall length and sleeves, Dainese size 48 jackets fit me (even 50 does with a hoodie/fleece underneath), and I'm 5'7".

Rare White Ape
November 11th, 2014, 01:49 AM
I'm hoping the direction that Shoei helmets fit you is forward. Anything else would surely be sub-optimal.

I used to go nuts with good gear; I even owned a pair of Alpinestars racing style gloves that cost me $250 which fell apart in between the fingers after 12 months of plenty of rainy days.

Nowadays I mostly ride wearing a $25 pair of light and comfy mountain biking gloves, or if I'm in for serious business I have a pair of Dririder waterproof gloves which are fucking comfortable and fucking fantastic. They cost me $60 last October and are still going strong.

I figure if things are gunna last me a year I might as well do it cheaply.

speedpimp
November 11th, 2014, 05:00 PM
A private collection of 80's Japanese bikes is going up for auction. Some neat looking stuff. Here (http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/11/11/private-collection-of-restored-1980s-and-90s-japanese-sport-bikes-heads-to-auction/?refer=news).

Freude am Fahren
November 14th, 2014, 05:45 PM
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/ktm-is-finally-bringing-these-awesome-singles-to-the-s-1659026748/+damon
These things are pretty awesome. The entry level ~300cc sport/naked sport bike market is really ramping up.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--X3IlNA-l--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/fwqzoj0zyfnzktpv9k3b.jpghttp://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--LqRK0Jf---/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/vkscqbghzikqnqdyny1m.jpg

Kchrpm
November 14th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Hmmm...looks good...only $5,500 for the sportbike...

Freude am Fahren
November 14th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Yeah, it's actually cheaper than the Ninja 300 ABS (ABS is standard on the KTM). The Honda CBR300R ABS, which is also a single, is a bit less at $4,899. The R3 (also a twin, I think), which doesn't have an ABS option is just $9 cheaper at $4990. But this looks better than all of them, and who doesn't love the appeal of an off brand funky orange Austrian motorcycle?

Can't wait to see some comparisons in the coming months of all of the above. Suzuki seems to have missed this boat though, so far.

Edit: You can get the CBR250R in Repsol Livery? SOLD! :lol:

Freude am Fahren
November 14th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Oh, BTW, thoughts on the Basic Rider Course I took this week:

I was a bit worried that my experience on my dirt bike in my teens (and once secretly taking out my mom's Harley Sportster 1200 when I was 18, shhh) was going to be useless. I was wrong. I felt very comfortable on the bike over the two days of range practice/testing. I guess I should have figured that would be the case. The main instructor stopped me during one exercise to ask how many years I'd been riding. He thought I said 10 years and said, "I can tell," when I clarified, not in 10 years, and only off road.

Surprisingly, I was the ONLY person in the 12 person class that had no on-road experience. I think 8 of the people in the class were regular riders that just didn't have an endorsement and got pulled over and had to get it before their court date (one had the endorsement but had been ordered to take it for a ticket, another just hadn't ridden since the law changed, and was out of state). The rest had gotten pulled over on scooters >50cc and thus also had to get an endorsement. And after all of that, I'm pretty sure i was one of maybe three guys that were completely competent. I'm not sure anyone else got pulled aside to be told they looked like they knew what they were doing. I don't think anyone else managed to do the figure-8 in the smaller box every time without problems too. There was even one older guy that said he rode a ZX-10 that could barely handle the 125 in the course. Really made me worry about what's out there... (as if the people in 2-ton cars didn't already...)

Given all that, the class still gives you 0 practical prep for riding in traffic. Yeah, you read material, and watch videos on it, but there's really nothing they can do to prepare you for that. So I'm still very green when it comes to that aspect. My dad has a bike (another '98 1200 Sportster) that he said he'd let me take out, though. That will be great to just get used to the vulnerability I imagine will come with riding in traffic. Of course, if he's going to let me borrow something, I'd kinda rather the C7 :D

Random
November 14th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Edit: You can get the CBR250R in Repsol Livery? SOLD! :lol:

They ran a Honda 250cc GP bike back in the day... :)

Freude am Fahren
November 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Oh, I know, they still do too, kinda.

http://www.hondaproracing.com/images/machine/additional/large/mgp_2014_03_11_jerez_alexrins_5708.jpg

It's still silly for a 250 street bike though :)

Drachen596
November 15th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Suzuki doesn't seem to be doing much lately.. everything they've done has been fairly minor updates to their bikes. hell the DRZ-400 is still the exact same bike as when they first launched it in 1999. which is too bad because they could probably add EFI and some new tech to it and still sell well or even better.

Godson
November 15th, 2014, 07:21 AM
The basic rider course doesn't prepare you for road riding. It equips you with the tools to sharpen for safe road riding.

That KTM 300 is awesome.

Rare White Ape
November 16th, 2014, 04:42 AM
For riding in traffic, I guess the best advice I can give you is to ride as if nobody has seen you and everyone will kill you.

And fluoro vests which I see some riders wearing don't do shit. The only difference they make is that you're wearing a fluoro vest when the driver-that-looked-at-you-but-still-didn't-see-you pulls out anyway and squashes you into a corpse on the road.

And don't crash. That's another good tip.

It's too bad that lane splitting is not an option unless you're in Cali, because it's such a great time saver and safety buffer for when the lights turn green. It's about to be fully legalised in Qld.

Freude am Fahren
November 16th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I've already signed a petition to legalize it in Florida, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.

novicius
November 16th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Repeat: "Left in front of me" every time you see an oncoming car slowing down or moving slowly. Say this to yourself in your helmet, keep repeating that. Oncoming traffic won't see you or will ignore you and will attempt a left turn in front of you so be prepared mentally by repeating this often. Coast up to intersections as needed and manage your speed and distance from other traffic. Really put an effort into not daydreaming; ride focused and with a heightened sense of traffic awareness.

Another good thing to say to yourself: "Cold road, cold tires..." (Not as applicable in FL as in WI. :D)

Godson
November 16th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Very accurate info. I seldom drive the speed limit through intersections when cars are near. Meaning I slow down. A buddy and I were riding one day, and came to an intersection with a car going our direction turning left, we both had bad feelings about it and started slowing down. As he entered the intersection, a car coming from the other direction towards us that was hidden by the car going our direction pulled out turning left in front of him as his front tire crossed the solid white line in his lane.

My friend was able to stop without incident in the intersection but only because we had slowed from 40mph to 20. Otherwise he would have likely been in the hospital a few blocks away.

Dicknose
November 16th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Watch carefully, but don't over focus on one threat. It's easy to start noticing threats, stare at them and miss a second threat.
Learn to use other vehicles and your position near them. Sometimes you might want to be beside a vehicle to use them as a shield. Other times you want to keep further away for better visibility (both by, and of you)

Lastly, don't get angry. Treat it all as a game where you need to learn how to avoid other drivers and riders. Some are blind, some zombies, some actually out to get you. And yes other riders can be some of the worst threats.

neanderthal
November 16th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Head on a swivel.

All The Gear, All The Time.

It's not if you go down, it's when.....

Just be prepared.

Dicknose
November 16th, 2014, 11:39 PM
I strongly disagree with the "it's not if, but when" attitude.
It makes it seem that a crash is inevitable. It's not.
There is no reason you can't have many years of riding without hitting anything or putting the bike down.

RWA one rule - don't crash.

It is possible to ride, even daily, and not crash. That should be your aim and your attitude.

Rare White Ape
November 17th, 2014, 02:21 AM
Those who "dress for the crash, not for the ride" are obviously no good at riding.

Kchrpm
November 17th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Gotta love when basic, no-nonsense advice disagrees with itself :up:

Rare White Ape
November 17th, 2014, 11:12 PM
You won't get it unless you get it.

Kifflom!

21Kid
November 18th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Jay Leno rides the Lightning LS-218 electric motorcycle (http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/18/jay-lenos-garage-lightning-ls-218-motorcycle-video/)

Jay Leno is back on two-wheels again this week for a ride on the Lightning Motorcycles LS-218 electrified sportbike. With victory at Pikes Peak and a land speed record on its belt, this is a real competitor in the EV cycle scene.
Cool :up:

Dicknose
November 18th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Yes cool.
But not quite everyday ready. Unlike Zero which has things like a standard plug to recharge.
Price is still a big killer, you are probably double (or more) that an equivalent combustion engine.
But running costs and servicing is cheaper.

I'm keen on the Zero, but want to see the 2015 model with ABS and upgraded brakes, tyres.

21Kid
November 18th, 2014, 01:57 PM
But, how many Pikes peak winning, world's fastest cars are within price range?

For performance - price it seems good to me. But, then again I don't own a bike to begin with so. :p

Dicknose
November 18th, 2014, 02:44 PM
No point comparing to cars.
But to a bike that wins, IoMTT or WSB, it's a hella lot more.

The Zero S that I looked at was a few $k more than my Ducati.
For less than half the power, no ABS or Traction control, and a range of 100 miles.
It's cool it's electric, but you are paying easily double for that.

Me, I got the money. No point having two Of the same bike, so I'm looking for a second bike that is different.
But the electrics are a much bigger cost. That will come down but could be 20 years before they are price competitive.

Godson
November 18th, 2014, 05:43 PM
I'd rather have an e1pc

Kchrpm
November 19th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Someone on the forum should buy a 1299 Panigale and do it up with a black Tricolore paint job, so I don't have to.

Godson
November 19th, 2014, 06:33 AM
I'll do it in 7 years or so. When the price isn't as much as my school loans.

Rare White Ape
November 20th, 2014, 01:23 PM
From the Internet fails thread:

http://i.imgur.com/EFg47Qw.gif

This is a good example of why it's not a good idea to try to communicate with other riders via hand signals and other stupid shit. That leg wave is normally the signal that says "Please pass me on the right because I'm a slow cunt". Which is why the bike moved over to the right. Stupid thing to do, even on a race track.

It happened to me a few weeks ago; I was following another bike while lane splitting through a huge traffic jam (he was in my way too) and he held his left hand out. I thought, "why is he holding his left hand out?" Nek minnit he stopped real suddenly because there was a car changing lanes in front of us. His hand distracted me. That's what his brake light is for.

Seconds later I'd had enough and passed that moron and continued on my merry way incident free, looking out myself and also free of fuckwit riders who think they're doing me a service by trying to look out for me. The end

Dicknose
November 20th, 2014, 11:34 PM
I tend to signal.
I do use the leg to let a rider know I've seen him and happy for them to pass. I do this in my commute, also on some more interesting roads.
It is hard to communicate and no universal signals exist.
Like most things that can get your attention, don't over focus on one thing.

Freude am Fahren
December 26th, 2014, 07:36 PM
So I'm looking at my options here, all used except the last.

First option is dualsport/supermoto. This is the highest on my list, but also the toughest to achieve. Good for commuting, pretty good gas mileage, durable, not too much power to get into too much trouble, hoon factor to the max. Would love a WR250R/X, but they're actually pretty hard to find used, especially for less than $4k. DRZ and KLR are options.

Second option is a used SV650/Ninja650/FZ6R, etc. I've seen a few pre-FI SV's for under $2k. Probably makes the most sense. I could save money here, to put towards something in a year or so. Good compromise of a starter bike for someone with some motorcycle experience, with more power than a 250, but not all out supersport.

Third option is going ahead and getting right on an older 600cc Supersport. I'm not worried about killing myself on one, but they could be a headache at this price point (sketchy history, insurance, cop bait, etc). Financially they'd be on par with the dualsport, but down the road I'd likely keep the dual sport and add a newer one of these, as opposed to selling this one and upgrading, and then I'd still want that second dualsport.

Used Ninja or CBR 250 Lot of cheap options, but they are kinda dorky, and I'd probably want more pretty quickly.

Finally a new CB300F. Seems like a great starter bike for the same price as a couple of the used options above. But would I tire of it as well too quickly? It wouldn't be much faster than the above option, but serves a different purpose anyway. If these were on the used market already...

Rare White Ape
December 26th, 2014, 08:28 PM
I'd definitely recommend option 2. Having owned a FI SV650 I can vouch for how good they are.

Their main drawback is cheap suspension, but there are a thousand-million things you can do to them to improve almost any aspect of their handling that it's almost a no-brainer. And the engines are utterly bulletproof. I have a mate that put 100,000km in a few years on a carbie one using it as a courier bike in Sydney. It had a hard life and is still going in retirement. Yep. He still owns it. Recently he mentioned that it's still running the original shim stacks in the valve train.

Get a cheapie and install a GSX-R front end with a set of motocross bars, that'll transform it straight away.

Godson
December 26th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I can't disagree with RWA.

I wouldnt touch the supermoto route without a 400cc bike or larger. 250cc are a blast on dirt, they would absolutely anemic on road.

Freude am Fahren
January 10th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Found a 2008 FZ6 at a used dealer right around the corner from my work. 2008, 21k miles (kind high), completely stock, and looking in very good condition. One scrape on the case worries me, but the pegs and fairings look fine, so it may not have been dropped. They're asking $3,999. I'm thinking about putting an offer around $3500. If everything checks out and they can get me out the door under $4k, it'll be mine.

They also have an '04 GSXR750 at $4200, which is what got me in the door in the first place.

TheBenior
January 10th, 2015, 01:03 PM
At $4k+, I'd be inclined to look at Yamaha FZ-07s, which I've seen advertised as low as $5700(!) new, but if you can get it down to $3500, more power to you.

Godson
January 11th, 2015, 07:34 AM
I'd avoid the Gixxer, that is a LOT of bike. I am not saying you can't manage the power, riding position, brakes, etc.. You would however have a steeper learning curve right off the bat.

Freude am Fahren
January 11th, 2015, 08:19 AM
No doubt. I'm still back and forth on the whole supersport thing. What I'd be worried about getting into trouble with is not the amount of power, but the brakes. First thing I'd do is go to an industrial park and practice emergency stopping, so when someone inevitably cuts me off, I don't grab a fist full of front brake and drop it.

Also the word "Gixxer"; can't help but think of no gear, flat brimmed caps and tribal tattoos. Not something I'd be thrilled to be associated with. :lol:

Godson
January 11th, 2015, 08:51 AM
:lol:

Per the brakes:

My one crash I had, was due to too much front brake and shit tires. My recommendation, if you choose to accept it. By good tires, don't "stretch" their use. Remember that you only have 2 tires to rely on.

Freude am Fahren
January 11th, 2015, 11:43 AM
What are the chances this actually only has 2700 miles on it? Might be a steal if so.

'08 Kawasaki ZZR600 (http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Kawasaki-ZZR-600-112401450)

That' like the KBB trade-in value. Maybe it's the hideous Giants sticker that makes it so cheap?

novicius
January 11th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Now you're talking some sense -- the ZZR's are a good, comfy bike. They can rail decently, too. :up: :up:

Godson
January 11th, 2015, 03:51 PM
:up:

I still say buy a monster...

neanderthal
January 11th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Ducati Scrambler mate.

I'm sorely tempted myself.

Rare White Ape
January 11th, 2015, 11:25 PM
I'd avoid the Gixxer, that is a LOT of bike. I am not saying you can't manage the power, riding position, brakes, etc.. You would however have a steeper learning curve right off the bat.

Yeah, nah.

A bike is a bike. You still control everything on bike A the same as you do on bike B.

The main thing is you buy what you think will excite you the most and what stirs the flesh beneath the loin cloth the right way.

Bikes are a heart decision, not a rational head decision.

The only reason to not buy a Gixxer is if you hate sportsbikes or you hate Gixxers. So there.

TheBenior
January 12th, 2015, 03:10 AM
I'd lean against the Gixxer if he doesn't have a secure garage.

Otherwise, he'll be really bummed when it disappears.

I, on the other hand, will be overjoyed with my new adjustable Showa forks ;)

Freude am Fahren
January 12th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Heh, I live in Miami. If I didn't have a garage, I wouldn't even buy a scooter :lol:

Kchrpm
January 12th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Panigale.

Freude am Fahren
January 21st, 2015, 08:54 AM
At $4k+, I'd be inclined to look at Yamaha FZ-07s, which I've seen advertised as low as $5700(!) new, but if you can get it down to $3500, more power to you.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit. I think I'm going to email a few local dealers, see what they can do. That seems like it'd be a great bike.

Dicknose
January 21st, 2015, 11:40 AM
Sports bikes are great but not comfy for long rides.
So if you want to do any touring or big rides, go for a zzr or something a bit more upright.

In the end it's just a first bike. Ride, learn, buy a second bike.

Godson
January 21st, 2015, 01:04 PM
In the end it's just a first bike. Ride, learn, buy a second bike.

Sound advice

Freude am Fahren
January 25th, 2015, 12:55 PM
So I've made a purchase. Well, kinda. I had to get to work, so I made a deal, put a deposit down and left. So I'm going back tomorrow to pay for the rest, complete things and ride away. I got some good advice from you all, some of which I admit I went against. In the end, RWA kinda put it best, and it's the way I've felt the whole time. This is a toy, not an investment.

The main thing is you buy what you think will excite you the most and what stirs the flesh beneath the loin cloth the right way.

Bikes are a heart decision, not a rational head decision.

Details/Pics tomorrow (or maybe Tuesday).

:D

KillerB
January 25th, 2015, 06:31 PM
I stopped into Newport Italian a few weeks ago to check out the Moto Guzzi V7. Probably shouldn't have done that. They have a V7 Special in the reverse color scheme of the Challenger (black with orange stripes).

Freude am Fahren
January 25th, 2015, 06:47 PM
http://cumidanciki.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Starsky.jpg

TheBenior
January 25th, 2015, 07:39 PM
A V7 doesn't really make sense on paper against a Bonneville, but I bought a Monster 696 that doesn't make sense on paper against the Street Triple, so who am I to talk? ;)

KillerB
January 25th, 2015, 08:24 PM
A V7 doesn't really make sense on paper against a Bonneville, but I bought a Monster 696 that doesn't make sense on paper against the Street Triple, so who am I to talk? ;)

I dunno, the Bonneville has more power but also weighs 100 lbs more.

Besides, the Italian choice always makes the most sense... even when it doesn't.

TheBenior
January 25th, 2015, 09:15 PM
It's actually about 60lbs (~500 vs 440 wet), but it's still not enough to overcome the power deficit.

KillerB
January 25th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Well if someone really cares about speed they're not buying either of those bikes. :)

TheBenior
January 25th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Or my Monster 696, for that matter. It never did well in objective measures against comparably (and cheaper) priced bikes in comparos, but frequently was the subjective favorite of editors. But part of the reason I like motorcycles (and naked bikes in particular) is the sensation of speed at sane velocities.

Oh, and BMW bikes can make comparable Ducati bikes look downright logical. It's not like BMWs have reliability or cost in their favor :lol:

Kchrpm
January 26th, 2015, 03:17 AM
Besides, the Italian choice always makes the most sense... even when it doesn't.
QFT :up:

JoshInKC
January 26th, 2015, 04:14 AM
I dunno, I'm given to understand that the V7 is really well balanced and "refined" when compared directly to the bonneville. Plus, they are very sexy looking.

But then I haven't ridden a bike for more than a trip around the block for over ten years, so I've got no idea what might make a bike "refined" these days.

TheBenior
January 26th, 2015, 06:14 AM
The V7 is known for very smooth, flat power delivery (what a relatively low-revving V-twin should have, really), but most reviews I've read aren't fond of the gearbox or the front brake feel.

However, the 2016 V7 II will get a new 6-speed gearbox, clutch actuation (not sure if master/slave cylinder or what) along with ABS and traction control. If one doesn't feel the need for those, there will probably be some smoking deals on 2015s when the 2016s arrive (in the Spring, supposedly).

I was pretty interested in the V7 for a while, but I ended up with a more modern Italian V-twin in a Monster 696 since the deal was pretty good. Not quite as much character as a V7 with it's transverse V-twin, but still more than the other bikes in it's class. I also had mixed feelings about a dry clutch in Chicago traffic since I was used to a wet clutch bike.

Godson
January 26th, 2015, 06:50 AM
http://www.superbike.co.uk/bike-tests/first-ride-ducati-1299-panigale/

I need one...like now.

novicius
January 26th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Well if someone really cares about speed they're not buying either of those bikes. :)
Any motorcycle, moped or bicycle is capable of instilling fear through excess speed -- just point it at a downhill corner and stand on the throttle. ;)

Freude am Fahren
January 28th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Oh yeah, so I got an R6. Jumped right in and bought basically the #1 bike I've wanted for a long time. Ever since this gen came out in '06, it's been the realistic #1 on my list.

Been busy, so these are my only pictures right now. After I get back from a trip next week, I'll take it out on a proper photo shoot.
http://www.freudeamfoto.com/gtx/garageshotsmall.jpg

Put about 80 miles on it, been working every day since I got it. Weather has been perfect for riding too.

Oh, except right when I picked it up, and storm rolled through:

http://www.freudeamfoto.com/gtx/pickupstormsmall.jpg

novicius
January 28th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Supa hot! :shocker:

Dicknose
January 28th, 2015, 09:24 PM
nice!

Rare White Ape
January 28th, 2015, 09:41 PM
I approve.

I love R6s, madness in a small package.

Godson
January 29th, 2015, 04:31 AM
Giggity!

TheBenior
January 29th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Ah, I remember the R6 and R1 were the hotness in supersport bikes back when I was in college in the early 2000s.

Godson
January 29th, 2015, 07:33 PM
FML.

http://www.ducatiusa.com/special-offers-899-panigale.do

Kchrpm
January 29th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Do it.

Godson
January 29th, 2015, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't qualify right now. And truth be told, I'd rather pay off my student loans first.

TheBenior
January 29th, 2015, 08:36 PM
At that price, how can you not? ;)

Kchrpm
January 30th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Hell, *I'm* considering it. ;)

Freude am Fahren
January 30th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Lets all get together and wife swap when you do!

Godson
January 30th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Hell, *I'm* considering it. ;)

It'd be awesome. I'd say do it

novicius
January 30th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Worse deal than my Daytona. :assclown:

Godson
January 31st, 2015, 08:51 AM
Well it definitely is NOT a daytona. (And it has more powerzzzzz too) :)

novicius
January 31st, 2015, 08:59 AM
You guys can't use the Daytona's power level as it is, what are you gonna do with more?? :lol:

(:assclown: ;) :toast:)

Godson
January 31st, 2015, 08:45 PM
Act a true hooligan :)

Just like my license plate says

Drachen596
February 1st, 2015, 06:04 PM
there had been a Ducati 848 locally on Craigslist a while back. its gone now.

that said i saw this and have been daydreaming ever since. http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/mcy/4871948050.html

only problem is that price is a bit high.. there's a dealer in Ohio that has brand new ones for 6500. though the bike is essentially the same through all its years besides graphics and rim colors.

Godson
February 2nd, 2015, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't recommend an 848 for a first bike unless it was a newer one. Having valves adjusted each time can take the fun out of the ownership experience when you dump 800+ each time you go to a dealer for service every 7500 miles

novicius
February 2nd, 2015, 09:33 AM
OTOH, if all you use the bike for is fun-running, it can take two years or more to rack up 7,500 miles anywhere but San Diego/Florida...

Godson
February 2nd, 2015, 03:31 PM
True. I am the odd duck trying to rack up 17,000 miles this year on an Italian bike.

novicius
February 2nd, 2015, 04:57 PM
Been there, done that on a British one. :up:

Still, the guys that do that are outliers. Most sport bike guys don't rack up the miles on their toy.

TheBenior
February 2nd, 2015, 06:56 PM
I'll probably be lucky to put 2500 miles on the Monster this year. I put ~260 miles on it before it got too damn cold to ride without heated gear/wind protection that I don't have (it's a higher temperature threshold for skinny fuckers like Tyler and me ;) ), which isn't bad for a late October Chicago motorcycle purchase. Planning long rides gets complicated when you don't work a 9-5 M-F schedule like all of your riding buddies, but we were talking about at least doing the Southern Lake Michigan Circle Tour this year.

Godson
February 2nd, 2015, 07:07 PM
I'm also planning on riding to Arkansas with the local Ducati group and back. Along with daily riding. I need to get cracking on it soon. I have 10 months and a few days to get this ball rolling. 1700 miles a month is no small feat.

TheBenior
February 2nd, 2015, 08:37 PM
It certainly is not. I've averaged ~6500/yr in my car, and that includes driving from Chicago to New Orleans a couple of times.

Drachen596
February 2nd, 2015, 11:57 PM
the bike in the link isn't a Ducati. its a DRZ400SM with some weird tires on it.

the only Ducati i like is the Diavel.

novicius
February 3rd, 2015, 06:12 AM
1700 miles a month is no small feat.
This board's motorcycle Iron Butt bar has been set at 1,975 US miles across four days -- and I weight twice what you do, all on a British sportbike, son! :hard: :hard: :hard: #getonmylevel #ow

Dicknose
February 3rd, 2015, 01:16 PM
the only Ducati i like is the Diavel.
Smart guy!

Dicknose
February 3rd, 2015, 01:21 PM
1700 miles is a big 4 day weekend.
I did a bit less in a trip away last month. Would have done more but one of the guys who came brought a pillion on a bmw S1000RR. He spent maybe 30 mins on that bike and the rest of the trip shared between the Diavel and a bmw G series.
Most of the planned rides got significantly shortened due to pillion, lack of pace and these guys turning 10 mins stops into an hour!
Had fun, but my usual 5 hour ride to Jindabyne took almost 9 hours.
Was going to go the long way (with an extra 100 miles of twisty) but realised quickly these guys were slow and not used to hauling miles.

novicius
February 3rd, 2015, 02:27 PM
Finding a crew to ride with is a tricky thing: liking to hang out with folks has no bearing on whether you like riding with them. :lol:

Godson
February 4th, 2015, 09:11 PM
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/4848621290.html

DAMNIT!!!

KillerB
February 5th, 2015, 09:59 AM
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone - 8400 miles - $5900 (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcd/4876234438.html)

Hmm.

novicius
February 5th, 2015, 10:27 AM
:up: :up:

Ask the dealer to flip 'n' spin and drill new mounting holes for the handlebars ($80 job). Bar-end mirrors. (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/45432/i/bikemaster-folding-bar-end-mirrors) Rear fender delete if you're feelin' thuggish -- done! ;)

Kchrpm
February 5th, 2015, 10:30 AM
CAN'T YOU LEAVE ANYTHING STOCK?!?!

novicius
February 5th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Nope! :hard:

http://aladinodebert.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/MotoGuzzi_V7_Stone-e1411536759374.jpg

Godson
February 5th, 2015, 11:17 AM
CAN'T YOU LEAVE ANYTHING STOCK?!?!

Stock is boring.

Kchrpm
February 5th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Not if you buy the right stock!

Godson
February 5th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Not existent.

Ducati, pipes and tune to start. Clutch cover on dry clutches. Clip sons and rear sets. Rubble bubble or similar to protect from wind, I could go on.

Freude am Fahren
February 5th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Stock is boring.

Just ordered a handful of stuff for my R6. Levers, Undertail, Flush mount signals, and crash protection/spools. It just the beginning, I'm sure...

Also, on my way home from work today, I passed(!) a white 899 Panigale. Had a woman rider too. So sexy. (The bike at least. The leathers and helmet prevented my judgement of the rider, but I'd put it in blind given her steed.)

novicius
February 5th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Good call on all fronts. :up: :up:

Godson
February 5th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Just ordered a handful of stuff for my R6. Levers, Undertail, Flush mount signals, and crash protection/spools. It just the beginning, I'm sure...

Also, on my way home from work today, I passed(!) a white 899 Panigale. Had a woman rider too. So sexy. (The bike at least. The leathers and helmet prevented my judgement of the rider, but I'd put it in blind given her steed.)

Those wheels are SOOOO bright in the light. I can't get enough of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uxscavySCo

This is the one video that shows how bright they are in the light. All the others do not do it justice.

KillerB
February 5th, 2015, 09:29 PM
That modded one is pretty sweet. I think I'd just start off with a lower-profile seat, though. Stupid 29" inseam. :rolleyes:

Freude am Fahren
February 8th, 2015, 08:46 AM
So less than two weeks after I buy my bike, my dad was just in an accident on his Harley. Some lady in an SUV cut him off. He tried to avoid her, but just barely clipped her bumper, crushing his leg between the car and bike. Really bad compound fracture of his right leg. Still a possibility he could need amputation. :(

On the plus side, even though he had no helmet or other protection outside a leather jacket, he doesn't have a scratch on him anywhere else.

Godson
February 8th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Damn. Sorry to hear about that. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Dicknose
February 8th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Bummer.
But at least it wasn't a head injury if he didn't have a helmet.

novicius
February 9th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Sorry to read this, FaF -- here's hoping everything works out and he gets healthy right quick. :up: :up:

Kchrpm
February 9th, 2015, 05:35 AM
Damn :/ The C7 would have protected him!

Be safe out there, everyone.

thesameguy
February 9th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Bummer.
But at least it wasn't a head injury if he didn't have a helmet.

This x2

novicius
February 13th, 2015, 09:56 AM
HARLEY-DAVIDSON SPORTSTER 883 IRON VS. MOTO GUZZI V7 STONE VS. TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE | MC COMPARO (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/reviews/harley-davidson-sportster-883-iron-vs-moto-guzzi-v7-stone-vs-triumph-bonneville-hipsters?src=SOC&dom=fb)

Success with the engine is mirrored by Triumph’s chassis tuning. Steering accuracy, suspension compliance, and braking performance are all superior. Not to say perfect, as the Bonnie can thump you on concrete-slab freeways, but in this company the Triumph is a model of civility. At 61 pounds more than the Guzzi, the 498-lb. Triumph conceals its heft extremely well, though the winner of the “chub hider” award goes to the 564-lb. Harley.

Freude am Fahren
February 13th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Parts came!

(won't be installing the grips at this point, they were a deal with the levers)

http://www.freudeamfoto.com/gtx/newparts-s.jpg

TheBenior
February 14th, 2015, 11:21 PM
Nice, I just ordered up Shogun frame sliders and an R&G rear axle slider/spool combo (Monster 696s have no provisions for spools) from Revzilla. Not sure what fork sliders I'll get, since Revzilla didn't have any in stock for my bike.

My Motodynamic integrated tail light (http://www.motodynamic.com/ducati/2009-2014-ducati-monster-696-796-1100-sequential-led-tail-lights-smoke.html) and Evotech Tail Tidy came in over the past couple weeks. I'm still waiting on the LED plate light for the Evotech.

Freude am Fahren
February 19th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Installed all parts except the levers at this point. I also put air in the tires. The front felt kinda low, so I checked the pressures. The rear was a few lbs low, but the front was at 18psi! At first I thought, oh now, it's got a slow leak somewhere. Then I rode it and noticed how different it was. There's no way it was anywhere near spec from the dealer. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on it to make sure it's not leaking.

Godson
February 19th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Check valve stem core first. I have had a few work loose over time.

Kchrpm
February 27th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Nope

​Man's Femur Goes Into His Ballsack After Motorcycle Crash (http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/mans-femur-goes-into-his-ballsack-after-motorcycle-cra-1688469263)

novicius
February 27th, 2015, 09:36 AM
You gotta keep your head on a swivel when you're caught in a vicious cockfight. :cool:

Godson
February 27th, 2015, 06:10 PM
He's got big balls.

Drachen596
February 27th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Wish Indiana had MSF classes like Florida does..

there are two groups here that do them. one hasn't released a schedule for this year. the other just released theirs and its already booked till June..

TheBenior
February 27th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Eh, I think non-private company courses fill up quickly everywhere. I ended up taking the Illinois state-sponsored class in July or August 30 miles from Chicago because earlier classes filled up quickly, and closer classes were booked until October.

Are you on Groupon? I've periodically seen half-price weekday class offers for a local motorcycle school.

Drachen596
February 27th, 2015, 06:42 PM
the ones here are technically all private. the state doesn't run them though they link the ABATE one on the BMV site.
at this point i'm still going to have to burn some vacation time to even take the class because though i'm off Friday and Sunday i work Saturday nights.

TheBenior
February 27th, 2015, 06:50 PM
That's what I had to do for my 2.5 day course since I was working evenings at the time.

Drachen596
February 27th, 2015, 06:55 PM
yeah the ones here are the same 2.5 days. both courses in fact, they both appear to use the MSF guidelines and training materials. which one i take likely doesn't matter as both offer the DMV Test waiver if you pass the course.

novicius
March 17th, 2015, 01:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVUZMAPjHTI

Good stuff! :lol: :up:

Freude am Fahren
March 17th, 2015, 02:11 PM
:( slowly dropped my bike backing it into the garage yesterday. I decided to push it from the side instead of backing it on the seat for leverage given the incline of my driveway. didn't really get a good position first, started to lose my balance, so I decided to let it down on the kickstand, but it caught on a cobblestone and went up. No real damage. Was able to kind of catch it and just let it down slowly. All plastics are fine. Small scrapes on my mirror, bar end, clutch lever, frame slider and rear spool. End of the peg snapped off is the only real damage that needs to be fixed. It would have probably been fine if it wasn't for the stupid little bar on the end of the peg. What are those things for anyway?

novicius
March 17th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Ain't your bike until you've dropped it. #oneofus

Freude am Fahren
March 17th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Truth.

Godson
March 17th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I put my curren monster down in the parking lot at my previous job at like 3mph about a year and a half ago. I set up for a tight parking lot turn by offsetting my weight to the left for a full lock right hander to pull into the parking spot, misjudged the amount of throttle and clutch I needed, killed the engine and sat it down on the asphalt infront of 4 co-workers. I busted the brake lever on the handlebar and that was the extent of the damage. I took that opportunity to upgrade to pazzo black anodized levers.

Freude am Fahren
March 17th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Also, I'm about 75 miles or so away from 600, the first service interval for the break-in. After I do that, maybe I'll finally see what 16,000 rpm is like...

Rare White Ape
March 19th, 2015, 01:32 PM
It would have probably been fine if it wasn't for the stupid little bar on the end of the peg. What are those things for anyway?

They're little hero knobs to let you know you're leaning it over like a MotoGP hero. Or something. I don't know either.

Real racers put on pegs that are half the width of a standard peg so that they can lean even further.

Drachen596
March 19th, 2015, 08:01 PM
the other training place finally posted their schedule and a new price... 70 bucks.

i still need to go find a helmet, question is, go cheap for the class or go buy one i'll keep using thats gonna cost more?

also need to remember to put in for a day off.. going to have to burn a vacation day for it OR... go to it super tired on Sunday morning which i think is when the actual testing is done and seems like a poor idea.

Godson
March 19th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Buy a good helmet.

TheBenior
March 19th, 2015, 08:54 PM
I used a borrowed Scorpion that hot spotted my forehead after less than an hour (it turns out that my head shape does not agree with Scorpion helmets).

But if you're sure you're going to be getting into motorcycling, get a good helmet. "Good" doesn't necessarily mean an Arai or Schuberth (which actually perform no better or even worse in some independent tests than some cheap helmets), but I wouldn't go with the cheapest DOT helmet you find at Walmart either, unless you plan to toss it out immediately after the class and don't mind burning that money.

Drachen596
March 19th, 2015, 09:09 PM
well.. one site says i have to have my own and the one for the governing group says sites provide loaners so i have no idea. i'll have to ask them about it when i contact them to schedule.

novicius
March 19th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I've bought 2 AFX helmets for super-cheap and I like the fit/finish/feel.

#shrug

Dicknose
March 20th, 2015, 06:10 AM
Fit is the most important thing.
I'd then say weight, heavier can get tiring.
Features, like built in sun visor or quick release visors.
Noise, quiet is good, but more a factor at high speeds

While safety is its main job, price is not a great indication of safety.
A cheapie is not a bad start, you will learn what you like and silike about the helmet.
Don't want to spend 600 on a helmet that you find out annoys you on long rides.

novicius
March 20th, 2015, 06:14 AM
Fit then Noise for me; Weight isn't nearly as much of an issue, I find -- but then I've never had anything but cheap, heavy helmets so I don't know any better. :)

Kchrpm
March 20th, 2015, 06:40 AM
On three out of four of those lines, I forgot what kind of thread this was.

novicius
March 21st, 2015, 07:01 AM
Erik Buell Racing's EBR 1190RX MotorcyclistOnline.com's Road Test (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2015-ebr-1190rx-road-test-motorcycle-review?src=SOC&dom=fb)

http://www.motorcycle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/061314-2014-erik-buell-racing-1190rx-ruiz140611107151_web.jpg

Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Ford GT. Dodge Viper. The USA has moved on from building simply fast straight-line sleds to creating genuinely world-class high-performance cars—truly supercars in their own right. But where is the two-wheeled equivalent, the American superbike? It’s a question that’s been asked for years. Creeping like a fog across dealership floors, lingering over bike-night crowds, and gnawing at race teams. Rumors float, designs are patented, and a few bikes are built over the years. But there’s never been a legitimate mass-produced American superbike.

Until now.

Erik Buell Racing’s 1190RX is the real deal—a high-horsepower machine meant to excel on the track and awe on the street. It costs $18,995, has a beast of an engine, and it’s handmade in the heartland. The RX is almost overflowing with ingenuity and technology, and it’s all aimed at turning fast laps. Zack Courts vetted the RX on the track at Jennings GP in Florida (see “Prescription Filled,” here), where he was impressed with the bike’s poise, power, and traction-control system.

::

Engine heat is omnipresent, which you can’t miss during hot-weather rides. Truth is, the EBR radiates heat from all surfaces, but your right leg will suffer the most, as it has both a radiator fan and an anaconda of a header pipe to contend with. The fans run almost constantly, switching on moments after you start the bike and remaining on even after you’ve removed the key from the ignition. No doubt there was an engineering desire to keep the bike light, and perhaps that influenced cooling-system design, but this bike’s behavior is pretty extreme.

::

How’s that? Our bike wept oil from the right side of the engine while strapped to the dyno and later spurted lubricant on the dragstrip from the same area of the engine, forcing us to abandon testing after just three runs. (Hence the slow ET.) Disappointing, sure, but that wasn’t the only issue we had with the RX. During the 600 or so miles we spent on it, the RX’s “Engine Code Event” light illuminated four times (all the errors were benign and cleared via the intuitive dash interface), and everyone complained of excess throttle play (the inline adjuster was already maxed out).

Those issues are likely limited to our first testbike—a replacement RX delivered just as we were going to press, plus the testbike assigned to Cycle World, had no such problems. We’re obliged to report our findings but hopeful that these problems are isolated to one particular machine. But there are other gripes that are just part of the design. Like the frustration of gaining access to the dash buttons that reset the tripmeter and adjust TC. As Zack so elegantly put it, “I feel like a veterinarian helping a cow to give birth trying to get my whole arm in under the bubble.” Bar-mounted switches would be great. And how about a fuel gauge and engine-temperature readout?
I've sat on this bike at bike shows -- it's almost purpose-built for tall, lanky athletic types and difficult & painful for the more Hobbit-like riders amongst us. Fit & finish was suspect. I'm sure it's fast but this bike has all the teething issues that a 1st gen production machine can have.

Here's hoping EBR survives long enough to put out a 2nd gen American sportbike. :up: :up:

Godson
March 21st, 2015, 07:03 PM
Local Ducati/Aprilia/Piaggio/etc dealer sells them.

I want to like them. I just can't .

Rare White Ape
March 23rd, 2015, 04:35 AM

While safety is its main job, price is not a great indication of safety.
A cheapie is not a bad start, you will learn what you like and silike about the helmet.
Don't want to spend 600 on a helmet that you find out annoys you on long rides.

I'd go fit, then weight, then noise.

And safety isn't just about how well it protects your noggin. A good helmet is less of a chore to wear, and when things are easier, they are less tiring, which means you have more energy for the act of not dying. They are therefore safer in that respect.

I love my Arai. Cost me $615 Aussie shekels last year, which replaced my old Arai, and that cost me $550 Aussie shekels five years ago.

I bought a plain-ish matt black one with a white stripe over the top. You can put stickers on it. It's pretty sick.

Freude am Fahren
March 30th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Got my front wheel up for the first time yesterday :eek:. Not trying to wheelie or anything, just accelerating hard on an on ramp, and the joint in the road just kinda kicked it up. Much different feeling than on my old XR100 at about 15mph :lol:

Also, went down to the closest Yamaha dealer for some oil and a drain gasket, and turns out they do the first service for about half of what the dealer I bought it from wanted, so I'm going to have them go ahead and do it tomorrow instead. From then on until valve work, I'll do it myself.

lostnight
March 30th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Those little XRs were a blast, I miss those days.

Freude am Fahren
March 30th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Couple months ago, we were looking through pictures for my Grandmother's 90th, and found this gem:

http://www.freudeamfoto.com/gtx/XR1.jpg

Freude am Fahren
April 1st, 2015, 08:19 AM
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/limited-edition-mv-agusta-f4-rc-superbike-lands-with-21-1694874463

MV's entry into this year's watch of crazy superbikes. 212 HP after you add the "race kit" that comes in this awesome box:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--wQPJS0uS--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ufklvhrwugadldv8d8rx.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xJsySnct--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/pf3i4xfpe7fnpmgmzitz.jpg

I don't really get why the exhaust, QS and ECU aren't just standard, with the other bits like cowl, fuel cap, mirror block-offs, etc being in a smaller box

novicius
April 1st, 2015, 08:24 AM
Yeah, for $40K USD I'll happily pass -- she's a looker tho'. :up:

Freude am Fahren
April 1st, 2015, 08:44 AM
Yeah, it's definitely a "Well, I have a shit ton of money, and $40k makes no difference to me, so I'll add this beauty to my collection while I continue to trash my BMW/Ducati/Aprillia."

:lol:

Dicknose
April 1st, 2015, 10:47 AM
Probably not standards because the wouldn't pass regulations for noise, might remove a catalytic converter etc.

Freude am Fahren
April 1st, 2015, 12:19 PM
Ah, good point.

TheBenior
April 10th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Consumer Reports' motorcycle reliability survey is in for the year (https://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-reliable-motorcycle-brand-not-193005540.html).

4-year failure rates by brand:
1. Yamaha/Star (11 percent failure rate)
2. Suzuki and Honda (12 percent)
3. Kawasaki (15 percent)
4. Victory (17 percent)
5. Harley-Davidson (26 percent)
6. Triumph (29 percent)
7. Ducati (33 percent)
8. BMW (40 percent)
9. Can-Am (42 percent)

Median repair costs ranged from a low of $269 for Kawasaki to $455 for BMW (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/05/motorcycle-reliability-and-owner-satisfaction/index.htm).

On the Ducati forums, the general consensus seems to be, "Well, at least we beat BMW."

Freude am Fahren
April 10th, 2015, 03:31 PM
I guess KTM didn't have enough bikes for the survey? I wonder where they would fall.

Also, apparently the 2015 S100RR has been having break-in issues (though that doesn't factor into this survey).

TheBenior
April 10th, 2015, 03:39 PM
I've never seen KTM's sales statistics broken into different markets, but I doubt they sell many street bikes in the US. I saw a fair number in California, but around the Midwest, I've seen more Moto-Guzzi motorcycles than I have KTM street bikes.

Still, it's an improvement over last year's survey, which, IIRC, only got enough responses from Honda, Yamaha, H-D, and BMW owners.

novicius
April 10th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Not really a surprise that the JDM marques score highly, reliability is what they've hung their hat on for the past few decades.

TheBenior
April 10th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I was surprised that BMW was worse than Ducati by a substantial margin.

I didn't really get the Yahoo headline though. Even the Harley guys I know don't think that H-D beats the Japanese brands for reliability.

novicius
April 10th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Well :up: :up: to Victory, the highest scoring American label. :)

Rare White Ape
April 12th, 2015, 04:42 AM
KTM would rate abysmally. Of all the KTM owners I know, not many of them have had trouble-free riding. And parts availability through normal channels (warranty or insurance claims that go through KTM Aust rather than grey market spares from overseas) is fucking shithouse.

Their bikes are brilliant. But as far as owner satisfaction goes; 5/10 would not bang.

Rare White Ape
April 12th, 2015, 04:50 AM
And a curiosity from me; if the Jap brands are so reliable, why are they all between 10 and 15 percent? To me that's a lot more than I expected, which was 5 or below.

Is there an equivalent list for cars made by Honda and Suzuki, as well as Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi etc?

TheBenior
April 12th, 2015, 05:39 AM
KTM would rate abysmally. Of all the KTM owners I know, not many of them have had trouble-free riding. And parts availability through normal channels (warranty or insurance claims that go through KTM Aust rather than grey market spares from overseas) is fucking shithouse.

I've heard similar things about Husqvarna in the US market, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise given their parent company is KTM.

Freude am Fahren
April 12th, 2015, 08:14 AM
And before that it was BMW :lol:

And I would guess failure/problem rates for motorcycles are just higher than cars. They're lower number, lower R&D, higher-strung machines, mostly.

Godson
April 12th, 2015, 08:42 AM
I find that list odd. In a review on the 1299 Panigale, the reviewing company made the mention that the Hondas they have been testing have been breaking more than the Ducatis lately. They also mentioned the Hondas have not been breaking more often, just the Ducatis have upped their game considerably.

Freude am Fahren
April 12th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Well, I think it's only 2010-2014 models. It is kind of a long term survey. So the 1299 doesn't factor in.

Plus, the Ducatis could have just not shown their problems yet. :D:

TheBenior
April 12th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Eh, my perusing of the Ducati forums suggests that early 2014 model year Monster 1200s definitely had some stalling issues caused by the initial ECU calibration and/or throttle position sensor/throttle bodies. I wouldn't be surprised if the Multistrada 1200 was similarly afflicted at some time.

Rare White Ape
April 14th, 2015, 01:10 AM
KTM's new weapon:

http://www.sportrider.com/sportbike-news/ktms-over-counter-250-hp-motogp-bike?QjalGevjwIBkWK1t.01

novicius
April 14th, 2015, 07:52 AM
No More Superbikes for KTM – CEO Says They’re Too Dangerous For Public Roads (http://www.sportrider.com/sportbike-news/ktms-over-counter-250-hp-motogp-bike?QjalGevjwIBkWK1t.01)

We’d like to produce a successor to the existing RC8 V-twin… In which case, let’s do the following: We’ll stick to making a Superbike, but only for closed course usage. So it won’t be homologated for sale as a streetbike. Okay? So then to produce that we will take the best prototype development arena available, which is MotoGP. And for the 2016 season there will be new rules introduced when the playing field will be leveled with a standard electronic system, so then KTM can challenge Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, Suzuki and Aprilia on an equal basis. So that’s the concept for development. We’ll call it the RC16 and it will also be available for the normal customer for track days or private use on track, but it won’t any more be homologated for the street. It’ll be a really serious sports and race item for closed course use only.

Just to make sure he was hearing things correctly, Cathcart pressed the KTM CEO and asked if there would be at least a homologated version of this machine? In answer, Pierer again said “No, because we at KTM think that a sportbike with such performance doesn’t have any place on the public roads.”

But let’s be honest, if your Superbike is reaching 200 horsepower or more, it’s impossible to argue that it belongs on the street. It really doesn’t, anymore.

As soon as the RC16 is available for customers we will stop with the RC8. The design is outstanding. I would say it’s still state of the art, and there is nothing else like it. It’s a classic Superbike. But with the increase in safety concerns, I’m afraid bikes like this don’t belong on the street, only on a closed course.
The last KTM sportbike?

http://therideadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/KTM-RC-8-R-1024x921.jpg

TheBenior
April 14th, 2015, 07:57 AM
I'd settle for KTM slapping two 390s together to make a 780 Duke with more tolerable vibration during long rides than a 690 Duke.

Dicknose
April 14th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Seems a silly move.
There is only 1 motogp series, so total sales will be maybe 20 bikes (a couple of teams, spares, testing)

At least moto3 has lots of places running a local series based on it. Potentially hundreds of bikes.

And a bike that is not for the street probably can't be used in a homologated series like superbikes. Which means possibly hundreds of race versions and many thousands of road bikes.

novicius
April 15th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Here's hoping EBR survives long enough to put out a 2nd gen American sportbike. :up: :up:
NOPE. :(

Erik Buell Racing closes, files for receivership (http://m.jsonline.com/business/erik-buell-racing-closes-files-for-receivership-b99481936z1-299863281.html).

Company founder Erik Buell invested his own money into the new venture, followed by backing from Hero MotoCorp., the largest motorcycle manufacturer in India. The company had been doing well on the racing circuit but struggled financially.

"The turn we recently took, after we thought we were moving forward, was unexpected. We thought we had secured funding, but in the end, we were not able to get the funding in place. Therefore we need to do the best we can under the circumstances for all parties in interest," Buell said in a statement.

The company is closed for now, Buell said, and is seeking protection under a state statute which is similar to federal bankruptcy law. Attorney Michael S. Polsky will be the court appointed receiver at the company's request. Bids will be solicited for the company as part of the Chapter 128 process, with the winning bid to be determined by the court.

"To say this setback is a disappointment does not begin to express what I feel right now. I am personally grateful for the support of our outstanding workers, customers and vendors. While this is a sad ending, I personally hope for a new and better beginning," Buell said.
Ok well then here's hoping Polaris swoops in...

Freude am Fahren
April 15th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Finally got around to taking a somewhat proper pic of my bike. Cell phone cameras are pretty damn good these days.

http://www.freudeamfoto.com/gtx/150415small.jpg

Oh and can you spot the sweet Porsche in the background?

novicius
April 15th, 2015, 07:02 PM

Hey me too! ;)

http://6pfgkq-sn3302.files.1drv.com/y2phPJHPH-WnexRN7L60eHYzGFBc9rl05hkSepMFkDOXth7olTh5_OxcxQkn z46Q0UxHDKhItSXOGKqDP1pi-cU-dfZjAkgM0YxiheUqpUiomBsTaR6kM3tL76tojEDSkFwXXPtnVT ccdbQZw3Y-Q8EHQ/20150415_160124_4_bestshot.jpg?psid=1

TheBenior
April 16th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Dropped the Monster 696 off at the local-ish Ducati/EBR (not anymore, I guess)/KTM/MV Agusta/Norton/Triumph dealer the other day for the break-in service and a custom dyno tune. Then I had to swing by today because I forgot to bring the Termignoni air filter/airbox lid and wanted to try on some helmets anyway. I'm not keen on paying dealer prices for a glorified oil change, chain lube, and torque-spec/fluid checks, but I figure it may be a bonus point if I ever sell the bike.

I've got to say, the MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster looks pretty hot, though not $14,800 hot. Not to mention their sparse dealer network that makes Ducati's look like Harley-Davidson's. I'm still not liking the left sides of the new water-cooled Monsters.

Dicknose
April 17th, 2015, 04:57 AM
Found that my local dealer now sells/services Ducati.
Handy!
Id used them for tyre change (took my own tyres!) so maybe I inspired them to handle Ducati!!

novicius
April 17th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Nice! :up:

Being next to a specialty dealer is a luxury -- currently, my Triumph dealer is over 40 miles away by interstate highway. :thppt:

TheBenior
April 17th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Nice indeed, my local Triumph/Ducati dealers are 15 and 17 miles from me, which in Chicago traffic, might as well be 40 :lol:

Rare White Ape
April 17th, 2015, 07:37 PM
I've got about a thousand bike shops within 60km of me.

I got to go look at the new R1 during the week, and engage my cock and balls with its seat/tank interface.

Upon doing so, I looked upon it and declared it good.

Kchrpm
April 19th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Is this the right place for me to :eek: at the Argentina MotoGP finish?

Godson
April 19th, 2015, 12:16 PM
I haven't watched it yet.

So we should probably start posting the MotoGP in the racing section.

TheBenior
April 19th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Thanks to the recently strong USD/weak Euro, I've become very tempted by deals on Italian motorcycle websites like Motostorm (http://www.motostorm.it/en/?currency=USD), Omnia Racing (https://www.omniaracing.net/en/), and Carpimoto (http://www.carpimoto.it/en-US/).

I may have ordered a helmet from Revzilla with the sole intention of learning if it fits and subsequently returning it no matter what...

Freude am Fahren
April 19th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Damn, there are some good prices there. What's shipping like though for a helmet across the Atlantic?

TheBenior
April 19th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Motostorm's shipping appears to be a flat $31 per order (I added a helmet and a rear stand to the cart, shipping remained the same). I'm guessing it's not airmail at that price, but hey, if I'm saving $100-200 per item on some items like say, helmets, stands, and Dainese leather jackets, I'm willing to wait a bit.

Godson
April 19th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Carpimoto is pretty famed good at speediness of shipping ime.

In other news, does anyone have the motogp on file so I can download it? The re-air was ignored for soccer. I am very unhappy

Blerpa
April 20th, 2015, 01:38 AM
Tyler, check over isohunt or kick-ass torrents... one of the best races in the last years.
And someone got schooled mightly! :D

M4FFU
April 20th, 2015, 03:34 AM
Anyone any experience on a MT-09. I think I'm tempted.

Drachen596
April 20th, 2015, 12:59 PM
All signed up for BRC May 15 to 17th.

TheBenior
April 20th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Nice.

A buddy decided that since he's already got a camera, he's going to give moto vlogging a try. Here's his walkaround:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYFlnR1YfY8&feature=youtu.be

Freude am Fahren
May 2nd, 2015, 11:52 AM
Can someone explain to me why gear companies (I'm looking mainly at you, A-Stars and Dainese) insist on making their warm weather gear in primarily black? I've been looking for a good lightweight textile jacket to wear now that it's hot as balls down here, but getting black seems to kind of defeat the purpose.

Anyway, looking at the Alpinstars Viper Air jacket (Available in mostly white and Blue!!), T-GP Air (or one of the various iterations with varying nomenclature like -Pro, -R, etc), and Dainese Super Speed ($150 cheaper than Revzilla!). I want to order from Motostorm given the prices (seriously, like half off Revzilla for everything), but I'm worried a bit about fit. I tried on an alpinestars, so I know their size when they use S-L style, but a little worried about ones that use number system. I'm about a 48 Euro in chests/shoulders/torso, but tall with long arms... The AStars jackets I tried felt great but short in M, and a bit loose but the right length in L.

[edit]
Settled on the Viper Air in blue. Should keep me nice and (relatively) cool. And looks good on a Yamaha ;)

http://images0.revzilla.com/product_images/0048/7991/alpinestars_viper_air_jacket_zoom.jpg

Kinda wish I had gotten my second choice of helmet now, the AGV Corsa in Blue/White:

http://images3.revzilla.com/product_images/0066/2095/agv_corsa_velocity_helmet_white_black_blue_detail. jpg

BECAUSE HOW YOU LOOK IS IMPORTANT!

novicius
May 2nd, 2015, 12:48 PM
Can someone explain to me why gear companies (I'm looking mainly at you, A-Stars and Dainese) insist on making their warm weather gear in primarily black? I've been looking for a good lightweight textile jacket to wear now that it's hot as balls down here, but getting black seems to kind of defeat the purpose.
Yep, I wish I could find a decent mesh armored jacket in silver. I had to settle for a navy blue 'Triumph' branded mesh jacket for the next few years.

Godson
May 2nd, 2015, 01:21 PM
Per the Dainese Super Speed Textile. I have it, love it, and want some more of it. Jacket flows a shit ton of air. Just remember that you need to get the back protector also as it is not included in the price. with the right shirt underneath of it, you are actually cooler than the sun beating down on your skin IMO. The liner does a decent job, except for the lack of any wind block to the zipper/chest area. Decent amount of pockets and storage. The micro-elastication makes for a damned good fit when sized right.

Pet peeves of mine on the jacket are the front of the collar can rub your neck at times, the arms are built for an average person. I am 6'2" with a 36in inseam. My arms are 6'3". I have a 37.9in chest. I bought a 48 EUR (38 US) jacket. The sleeves are 23.4in on this cut. I need a 25-26in sleeve length for complete protection. I always wear a full gauntlet so that helps a ton. The chest area fits perfect, the arms and torso are a touch to short. I'd recommend finding a store local that has Dainese to try on.

novicius
May 2nd, 2015, 01:36 PM
Alternately, I'm having the sleeves shortened on my new mesh. :lol:

Rare White Ape
May 2nd, 2015, 03:00 PM
Klim makes decent gear in colors other than black. And if you've got deep pockets BMW stuff is top notch.

I'm not sure what overseas availability is, but local brand Dririder makes okay gear in the lower price bracket, including summer textile jackets.

TheBenior
May 2nd, 2015, 03:30 PM
Firstgear makes their sportier Mesh Tex jackets in silver, hi-viz yellow, red, and blue in addition to the usual black. Their Rush Mesh jacket also comes in silver and hi-viz yellow. I've got the Rush Mesh jacket in silver, which has black sleeve tops and shoulders, but I've never really noticed heat build-up anywhere but the padded areas when stuck in Chicago traffic. I wish the sleeves were a bit longer, but if I had a bigger chest (mine's 37", right between small and medium, so I went small), it might be less of an issue. The back protector pocket is also a bit on the narrow side, so I trimmed a Klim D3O Viper T5 back protector to fit. The phone interior pocket is also a bit on the small side for modern smartphones, at least on my 3 year old example.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/staging/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/u/rushmeshjktsilblk_4.jpg

novicius
May 2nd, 2015, 03:50 PM
I went with this number:

https://ericrshelton.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/mths13009-triumph-air-retro-jacket.jpg

Fits my torso and neck and shoulders just great. Sleeves are too long. Getting them altered added $60 to the cost. #ohwell

TheBenior
May 2nd, 2015, 04:49 PM
Oh right, I just took advantage of weak Euro by ordering some things from Motostorm in Italy. No helmet since it seems any helmet I order will have to be oversized and subsequently adjusted with thicker cheek pads, so I just ordered cheek pads from a local place for my existing Nolan N85.

Got some Ixon textile pants (http://www.ixon.com/public/product/master-top-hp-2/?lang=en), an LV8 LEGO rear stand (http://www.lv8.it/index/en/prodotti/show/universal-rear-stand-with-v-fork-cursors/lego-patented.html?), and a Givi 3D604 tanklock bag (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-3d604-tanklock-tankbag) and necessary flange. I already have the smaller 3D603 model, but it's a bit small for my commuting needs at times, and the 3D604 with the flange was about half of what it goes for in the US.

novicius
May 2nd, 2015, 07:43 PM
I am now a believer in a bigger-than-you-think-you-need tankbag. :up: :up: #thanks2nate

Kchrpm
May 2nd, 2015, 09:09 PM
Saw a couple guys riding with body-armor looking pads (rather than something that looked like a jacket or leathers), parked in the dashed line section between two handicapped spots at Hooters, and then was told they didn't take the armor off while eating.

Rare White Ape
May 2nd, 2015, 11:48 PM
Was it this stuff?

https://www.google.com/search?q=dainese+body+armour&newwindow=1&rlz=1C1GGGE_enAU496AU496&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=961&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XNJFVc-UCcXHmwW-44DIAw&ved=0CE4QsAQ&dpr=1#imgrc=_

Dainese and A-stars do it. It's pretty weird.

Godson
May 3rd, 2015, 12:20 PM
That is what you *should* wear under track suits. That way the leather won't let the pad move from where it is supposed to be.

speedpimp
May 3rd, 2015, 01:37 PM
But if its out of sight then how can you show it off and make people think you're wearing a turtle shell.

Freude am Fahren
May 3rd, 2015, 03:56 PM
http://images3.revzilla.com/product_images/0084/6136/agv_corsa_turtle_rossi_helmet_zoom.jpg

speedpimp
May 3rd, 2015, 04:33 PM
Nice.

Kchrpm
May 3rd, 2015, 05:07 PM
It was more like this, except I'm not sure it had sleeves...my mind is telling me it might have been just the pads with no sleeves, but I'm not sure.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motocross-Motorcycle-Skating-Mountain-Snowboards/dp/B008MC0S14