PDA

View Full Version : Ebola

G'day Mate
August 17th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Two types of movies scare me - realistic alien invasion films and realistic disease outbreak films. I'm not scared of ebola, but I'm finding myself morbidly fascinated by the spread of the outbreak in West Africa. It's rampant in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, but the Nigerians seem to have their outbreak under control for now.

The latest from Liberia - a hospital is raided by people claiming the disease is made up. They steal all kinds of infected items (blankets and whatnot) and 17 patients flee. News article (http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/ebola-outbreak-fears-after-monrovia-clinic-is-raided-by-armed-gang/story-fneuz9ev-1227027524589) why not.

Crazy shit.

Godson
August 17th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Karma will catch those fuckers that raided.

Rikadyn
August 17th, 2014, 05:29 PM
More like Ebola will...

G'day Mate
August 17th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Just reading about the Nigerian situation - I thought those guys had it under control but they might be done in by government corruption

http://saharareporters.com/2014/08/17/nigeria-hasn%E2%80%99t-given-priority-ebola-treatment-abandons-nano-silver-treatment

Leon
August 17th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I would be vaguely terrified at the prospect of just how badly some of the African "governments" could screw up, and get a whooooooooooole bunch of their people killed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY

Rare White Ape
August 17th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I heard recently that cases of ebola are not unheard of in countries like the US and Australia, but our robust healthcare systems deal with it easily and it's never a problem.

Those African countries really need to get their shit together.

Rikadyn
August 17th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Well most of them are in the state they are in because the colonial powers that bled them dry for decades up and left leaving nothing behind to fill the void.

Dicknose
August 18th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Ebola in western countries has only been lab accidents.

If it was as out of control as the media seem to portray, how come it's not millions infected?
Sure plenty of mistakes are made and the quarantine is not great. But it's still mostly a few locations.

G'day Mate
August 20th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Latest - Residents barricaded in Liberian slum West Point to prevent spread of Ebola (http://www.news.com.au/news/world/residents-barricaded-in-liberian-slum-west-point-to-prevent-spread-of-ebola/story-fni6um3i-1227031542845)

50,000 apparently

RIOT police and soldiers acting on their president’s orders have used scrap wood and barbed wire to seal off 50,000 people inside their Liberian slum, trying to contain the Ebola outbreak that has killed 1,350 people and counting across West Africa.

Hundreds of slum residents clashed with the gunmen, furious at being blamed and isolated by a government that has failed to quickly collect dead bodies from the streets.

One 15-year-old boy was injured trying to cross the barbed wire as security forces fired into the air to disperse the crowd.

The World Health Organization said the death toll is rising most quickly in Liberia, which now accounts for at least 576 of the fatalities.

At least 2,473 people have been sickened across West Africa, which is now more than the caseloads of all the previous two-dozen Ebola outbreaks combined.

The U.N. health agency also warned of shortages of food, water and other essential supplies in West Africa’s population centres.

And if it’s bad in these capitals, it’s much worse inside West Point, a densely populated slum surrounded by floating sewage that occupies a kilometre long peninsula in Liberia’s seaside capital.

West Point suffers from government neglect even in the best of times, and mistrust of authorities is rampant. Open defecation is a major problem. Drinking water is carted in on wheelbarrows, and people depend on a local market for their food.

Now many of the market’s traders are stuck inside, prices have doubled and “the community is in disarray,” slum resident Richard Kieh said.

“Why are you ill-treating people like this? How can we take this kind of government to be peaceful? It is not fair — We are human,” complained another resident, Mohamed Fahnbulleh.

Ebola is only spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids of sick people experiencing symptoms.

Crazed_Insanity
August 21st, 2014, 07:48 AM
Wow... this is getting more and more like a Hollywood movie... Hope the virus won't mutate to become airborne soon..., but even if it does, there are people who are immune to Ebola infection so at least not all human population will be wiped out.

Anyway, hope this thing can be under control soon...

Sad, little man
September 30th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Shit just got real...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/health/airline-passenger-with-ebola-is-under-treatment-in-dallas.html?_r=0

Hopefully this prompts us to offer some more help in the parts of the world that really need it.

Jason
September 30th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Meh.

Just don't swap spit with people with ebola.

Sad, little man
September 30th, 2014, 05:32 PM
I agree. I feel that it's only a minor concern for a country that has really good healthcare standards.

Like I said, hopefully it at least spurs us to give more help to the part of the world where it is a big problem.

Rikadyn
September 30th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Still we should take this as a sign and give people of texas what they want, a wall. However the wall will seperate texas from the US, and not from mexico.

Alan P
September 30th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Wonder if he has insurance? Obamacare cover this?

Jason
October 1st, 2014, 03:14 AM
Still we should take this as a sign and give people of texas what they want, a wall. However the wall will seperate texas from the US, and not from mexico.

I'm ok with this.

On a serious topic, I wonder if we'll start seeing travel restrictions.

overpowered
October 1st, 2014, 03:33 AM
Texas. It's like a whole other county.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ejeb6PftX4

thesameguy
October 1st, 2014, 09:54 AM
I predict a surge in zorbing in Texas.

For safety.

overpowered
October 16th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Crying wolf about Ebola should involve jail time.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct/16/southwestern-college-ebola-student-closed/

Crazed_Insanity
October 17th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Good to know that we are prepared!

Jason
October 17th, 2014, 05:47 AM
I'm about to stop going to news sites, every article is all WE ALL GONNA DIE

We've had, what 3 cases so far? Cmon now.

Godson
October 17th, 2014, 06:34 AM
The loudest people about the disease are the least likely to contract it. ...

Tom Servo
October 17th, 2014, 08:53 AM
It is amazing how we freak out about it. In the past week or two, two people have been infected in the US and one person has died. ~100 people die in car accidents every single day in this country.

Crazed_Insanity
October 17th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Car accidents are not infectious.

I'm not freaking out, but definitely concerned to learn that 2 healthcare workers in protective gear can get infected.

Hopefully those infected healthcare workers didn't spread anything to anybody else.

I'd only feel better if after 3 weeks, CDC can confirm these 3 isolated cases only and no other outbreaks anywhere else.

Somehow, I doubt the situation is that rosy. Fingers crossed.

21Kid
October 17th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Oh Sh!t... Did I get ebola from clicking on this thread?!? :? :eek: :(

Tom Servo
October 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Ahh, shit, I didn't realize that you should only be worried about dying if it's from something infectious.

Crazed_Insanity
October 17th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Think of it this way..., you cannot have an 'outbreak' of accidents. Rate of 'accidents' are pretty steady usually. However, this particular infectious disease could get out of control if we're not careful. No need to panic, but it's probably not a good idea to pretend 3 infected persons in the US is no big deal.

MR2 Fan
October 17th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Think of it this way..., you cannot have an 'outbreak' of accidents.

not until your internet connected car gets a virus

Godson
October 17th, 2014, 06:35 PM
It is amazing how we freak out about it. In the past week or two, two people have been infected in the US and one person has died. ~100 people die in car accidents every single day in this country.

This times infinity.

overpowered
October 19th, 2014, 03:12 PM
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/544905_976215322405115_4102125852727389607_n.jpg?o h=74eb77fc204f5f4de11c4ba18ab4b52c&oe=54AC6CF2

Tom Servo
October 19th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Also, more Americans have been Batman than have been infected with Ebola.

21Kid
October 20th, 2014, 06:31 AM
:lol:

tigeraid
October 20th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I may have to steal that factoid. :up:

Freude am Fahren
October 21st, 2014, 06:12 AM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ADWhJrBR--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/jbfyd6a6tq6uwr36oh4r.jpg

Yw-slayer
October 21st, 2014, 06:39 AM
Lol

thesameguy
October 21st, 2014, 09:43 AM
:lol: :up:

Crazed_Insanity
October 21st, 2014, 09:58 AM
I don't get it.

However, 2 posters above got it! So now I'm concerned...

overpowered
October 21st, 2014, 10:04 AM
It's just you.

Godson
October 21st, 2014, 01:59 PM
Post of the year.

Sad, little man
October 21st, 2014, 04:42 PM
The fact that Billi doesn't get it just makes this whole thing 1000% better.

Crazed_Insanity
October 21st, 2014, 05:29 PM
You guys are not slightest bit concerned that more and more folks here are getting it? I am. :p

Tom Servo
October 21st, 2014, 07:52 PM
The old switcheroo!

overpowered
October 21st, 2014, 08:57 PM
You guys are not slightest bit concerned that more and more folks here are getting it? I am. :pHow many confirmed cases so far?

Rare White Ape
October 22nd, 2014, 03:36 AM
The fact that Billi doesn't get it just makes this whole thing 1000% better.

Billi may be religious but he's not THAT stupid.

I mean, he got you guys. That's something.

Dicknose
October 22nd, 2014, 04:01 AM
Gold!

Billi wins at Internet.

Crazed_Insanity
October 22nd, 2014, 04:45 AM
Hey, not trying to win anything. Just attempting humor by trying to play dumb. Glad to see that at least people still find my words believable! :D

21Kid
October 22nd, 2014, 11:03 AM
You're proud that people thought you were dumb enough to not get it? :lol:

:finger:

G'day Mate
October 22nd, 2014, 03:34 PM
I still haven't got it

G'day Mate
October 28th, 2014, 04:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAz-F1QnyCk

(sorry yanks ;))

MR2 Fan
October 28th, 2014, 05:46 PM
:lol:

GB
October 28th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Had my PPE training today. What a pain in the ass. Hope it never comes to it.

Rare White Ape
October 29th, 2014, 04:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAz-F1QnyCk

(sorry yanks ;))

Sadly I see that Australia's news follows the sentiment of the Merkin hysteria.

G'day Mate
October 29th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Nah, I don't think so. People aren't calling for the borders to be closed and people to be sent to Christmas Island for quarantine.

G'day Mate
October 29th, 2014, 04:53 AM
... not that current affairs programmes don't do their best to try and whip fear into us in other areas. Just saw something like the following in a promo for ACA:

Adelaide's trampoline centers - they're starting to appear in your neighbourhood! Are they DANGEROUS BONE-BREAKING DEATH TRAPS FOR YOUR KIDS or just good fun?

G'day Mate
October 29th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Hah, check this out - "I blame President Obama (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10/29/maine-officials-threaten-to-order-returning-ebola-nurse-to-follow-quarantine/)"

(and as I'm typing this I can hear Bill O'Reilly presenting people's opinions as facts in the next video)

Godson
October 29th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Fuck bill o'blimey

And all of the other talking heads.

Freude am Fahren
October 29th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Hmm, how does Fox News wrap their heads around that one. On one side it's Obama's not doing enough to protect us from Ebola, on the other it's No politician is gonna tell me what to do!

Crazed_Insanity
October 29th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I don't understand why Obama has anything to do with your linked article.

I also don't understand, of all people, why this particular healthcare worker can be so sure that quarantine protocol doesn't apply to her.

Anyway, that comedian is really funny! :D

George
October 29th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Anyway, that comedian is really funny! :D

I liked him too, until he said "maths".

***RIPS OFF SHIRT AND GOES ON ALL-AMERICAN, EBOLA-FUELED, ANTI-"MATHS" RAMPAGE*** :angry:

21Kid
October 29th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Hmm, how does Fox News wrap their heads around that one. On one side it's Obama's not doing enough to protect us from Ebola, on the other it's No politician is gonna tell me what to do!

It doesn't matter what the facts are... They are just against whatever the "other team" is for.

Rare White Ape
October 30th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Nah, I don't think so. People aren't calling for the borders to be closed and people to be sent to Christmas Island for quarantine.

The Courier Mail earlier this week ran a blurb on the front page: medical experts tell us not to panic about slim ebola chance etc, etc.

This was written above a huge image in red hues of the typical ebola strain under the microscope.

And below that, massive headline: DON'T PANIC in red, of course.

Murdoch's Newscorp seems to have found the magic ingredient for drawing out absurdity and simplifying the hell out of every topic.

That's why I never read or watch Newscorp news.

neanderthal
October 30th, 2014, 12:39 AM
I'm at a UPS Store sending something to my cousin who is going home because his mum died and another customer overheard me saying i'm from Zimbabwe. (The owner of the UPS Store franchise is a Palestinian whose name is Moe and I was reminding him that we had met before) Anyway, she (concerned) is like, "That's in Africa, right? Have you been there recently?"

I respond "I was there only 3 months ago."

Her response "OMG, are you OK?"

Seriously?

If you're gonna act paranoid, shouldn't you do some basic research abotu what you're paranoid about?!

Yw-slayer
October 30th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Should have just told her "Actually, I have been feeling a bit poorly since then..." and then faked a coughing fit ON HER FACE

neanderthal
October 30th, 2014, 01:04 AM
That's exactly what I said on Facebook!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great minds. high five.

Drachen596
October 30th, 2014, 01:24 AM
what do you guys think of the nurse who is talking about suing because they want her to do her 21 day quarantine in the hospital and not at home?

Freude am Fahren
October 30th, 2014, 04:45 AM
She needs to shut her cumdumpster.

It would be fantastic if she actually had ebola.

MR2 Fan
October 30th, 2014, 05:54 AM
I'm at a UPS Store sending something to my cousin who is going home because his mum died and another customer overheard me saying i'm from Zimbabwe. (The owner of the UPS Store franchise is a Palestinian whose name is Moe and I was reminding him that we had met before) Anyway, she (concerned) is like, "That's in Africa, right? Have you been there recently?"

I respond "I was there only 3 months ago."

Her response "OMG, are you OK?"

Seriously?

If you're gonna act paranoid, shouldn't you do some basic research abotu what you're paranoid about?!

they walk among us.....geez.

Africa is a CONTINENT...people don't seem to get that.

Freude am Fahren
October 30th, 2014, 06:15 AM
A continent nearly the size of Europe and North America combined no less.

Crazed_Insanity
October 30th, 2014, 07:17 AM
what do you guys think of the nurse who is talking about suing because they want her to do her 21 day quarantine in the hospital and not at home?

Wonder if she thinks she deserves special treatment or perhaps protocol is just too strict. If it's the later, she really should try to lobby to CDC to change the protocol rather than just defy protocol...

Personally, I just think it's better to err on the side of caution. Not sure if this is the best way to help future volunteers returning from Africa...

Personal liberty trumps public safety?

Lastly, if she's a UK nurse, then maybe what she's doing would be okay. However, it's already known that one of the Ebola virus already has made plans to get his ass into the spaghetti in America, she really ought to be more careful.

Drachen596
October 30th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Apparently she was out violating quarantine today.

George
October 30th, 2014, 12:47 PM
On a bicycle, no less! :eek:

Rare White Ape
October 30th, 2014, 12:54 PM
A bicycle?

That bitch!

Godson
October 30th, 2014, 01:15 PM

The nurse is a fucking numpty.

Tom Servo
October 30th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Just saw the governor of Maine on TV talking about that nurse. With all that heavy breathing trying to get a single sentence out, that fucker should be way more worried about dying from a heart attack than ebola.

Godson
October 31st, 2014, 03:26 AM
As should 60% of america. But yet here we are....

Crazed_Insanity
October 31st, 2014, 07:03 AM
Heart problems and cancer are the top killer of Americans by far and governor of Maine definitely also need to monitor his health...

However, I think he's also just trying to do his job by protecting the public. If the protocol isn't scientifically based, then it needs to be changed. Both sides need to compromise a little rather than just resort to 'fuck off or I'll sue you'.

On the other hand, she could've easily be like that NY doctor who pretended to be self quarantined at home while secretly going out and having fun.

Hope she's not the type who craves the spotlight. Hope something good will come out of this 'fight'. CDC really should weigh in on this... is the protocol scientifically based? If not, change it. If yes, then stick to it. CDC had been pretty lame lately... for example it had authorized that previous nurse to fly, and then later on during interviews blaming that the nurse shouldn't really fly. So perhaps something stupid is going on that's really pissing the nurses off...

21Kid
October 31st, 2014, 11:16 AM
As should 60% of america. But yet here we are....
Nailed it!