PDA

View Full Version : I did not buy a Ferrari FF...

pl8ster
August 18th, 2014, 07:26 AM
...but after driving a 14-year-old Silverado, this sure feels like one. It even has paddle shifters, though I doubt I'm going to use them much. It's a 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon with just over 30k miles in Forged Silver Metallic. 201hp isn't all that much, but it's at least enough to keep me from complaining that it's slow. I didn't hold out for one with the Tech Package that adds navigation and a 460-watt 13-speaker stereo, but the seven-speaker system that it *does* have sounds pretty awesome (it compares very favorably to the 2000 Silverado stock four-speaker system that I was used to). Handling is far better than you'd expect, which is backed up by original reviews of the then-new-for-2011 wagon body style. And I'm looking forward to getting roughly double the gas mileage I was getting in the Silverado, even if Acura recommends 91 octane to get there.

So I'm stoked. And yes, I realize that it's just a Euro-market Accord wagon sold as an Acura model over here. Still stoked :D

Kchrpm
August 18th, 2014, 07:46 AM
It's like the NSX version of the FF.

Random
August 18th, 2014, 08:03 AM
:up:

Cam
August 18th, 2014, 08:17 AM

pl8ster
August 18th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Interestingly, there are no Acura dealers in the state of Maine, but I have confirmed that for the year or so of the remaining factory warranty, most warranty items can (not surprisingly) be taken care of by my local Honda dealer. The more complicated stuff I'd have to have taken care of by the nearest Acura dealer in North Hampton, NH - about 45 minutes away.

I love having the only one of these in the parking lot at work, and possibly in my town. There were only 15 of them available on Autotrader within 200 miles of my house.

Kchrpm
August 18th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Pl8ster the Hipster.

Random
August 18th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Plaid seats?

thesameguy
August 18th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Nice! Pretty sure the TSX is the only good car Acura has sold this century. And I like them quite a bit. I'm jealous!

Yw-slayer
August 18th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Nice one, mate.

Phil_SS
August 18th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I had no idea they made that car. Loves me some wagon. :up:

The359
August 19th, 2014, 12:39 AM
I've seen two TSX Wagons in recent weeks, and they look awesome. :up:

pl8ster
August 19th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I do not have a beard, so the 'hipster' argument is invalid. Though I do loves me some Band of Horses! No plaid seats, sadly...but they're leather and heated, neither of which I've ever had in a vehicle.

It requires 91 octane gas...thoughts? Will I just be sacrificing some performance by running 87 or 89, or will it be detrimental to the engine long-term if I do that? I've obviously never had a vehicle that called for premium gas, either.

SupraDupra
August 19th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Hey pl8ster!

Very nice! I know it's new. But, I lol'd at the lack of a front plate.

Does the owner's manual specifically state it "requires" 91?

Kchrpm
August 19th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Back when gas prices were close to $1, that extra 20 cents was something to consider. Now that we're hovering around $3.50, usually, the 30 cents extra I see most places charging is less of a percentage jump, and I'd just rather not risk the issues that might be caused from long term use of the wrong octane.

Random
August 19th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Edmunds did a long-term test on a 2011 SW, FWIW: http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tsx-sport-wagon/2011/long-term-road-test/

21Kid
August 19th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Nice :cool: :up:

If it's "required", I'd do it.
If it's "recommended", it's just that. Performance may drop a little bit. Probably won't notice on a 201hp wagon

required vs recommended (http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/to-save-money-on-gas-stop-buying-premium.html)

thesameguy
August 19th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Depends on how you drive, really, but you're probably going to want to stick to 91. The compression ratio on the four cylinder is 11:1, which is very much into the danger zone for regular unleaded. There are engine controls that will help offset any octane deficit, but you'll lose economy and power and could put the engine at risk. Unless driving is *strictly* easy highway cruising, I'd stick to premium. For a $2/tank cost, it's just not worth messing with IMHO.

TheBenior
August 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Back when gas prices were close to $1, that extra 20 cents was something to consider. Now that we're hovering around $3.50, usually, the 30 cents extra I see most places charging is less of a percentage jump, and I'd just rather not risk the issues that might be caused from long term use of the wrong octane.

I wish premium was a $0.30/gal surcharge; around here it's more like $0.40-0.50/gal :|

thesameguy
August 19th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Wow - that's crazy! It's usually like $0.20 here, maybe $0.30 here. $3.60 vs. $3.80 this morning.

pl8ster
August 19th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Today regular was $3.53 and 91 octane was $3.75. With an 18.5-gallon tank, filling up with about 17 gallons, the difference was a little under four bucks. As little as I'm going to be filling it up compared to the Silverado, I'm just going to stick with the 91. I noticed that while the owner's manual says "required," my 4-cylinder TSX was on Edmunds' list of cars for which premium gas is "recommended," while the 6-cylinder TSX (sedan only) was on the "required" list.

I'm actually glad they didn't offer a 6-cylinder TSX wagon, because I really would have wanted one and it would have been out of my price range!

Funny plate-related story: I bought the car in Massachusetts, where they don't issue temporary plates, and I forgot to bring the plates from the truck with me. The only solution was to take the front plate off my wife's car and put it on the back of the wagon, and travel a discreet distance apart on the way home :D

Random
August 19th, 2014, 10:12 AM
It still confuses me that the plate doesn't stay with the car in some states. :?

SupraDupra
August 19th, 2014, 10:15 AM
If it says "required" in the manual...I'd stick with it too.

Of all the people?!?! YOU weren't ready with a plate?

Kchrpm
August 19th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I'd have been pretty annoyed if my Bengals plate went with the Altima when I sold it to CarMax.

pl8ster
August 19th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Pretty sure WA and OR keep the plates with the vehicle as well. Maybe it's a West Coast thing...I can't think of any other states that have the plates stay with the car. But yeah, it would have been priceless for a license plate collector to be pulled over and charged with illegal attachment of plates. It was a two-hour drive back, so I had plenty of time to think about it. The 'negotiation' process - where they tried to scam me with financing and warranty "requirements" and I angrily used the phrases "bait and switch" and "shady as hell" in a conversation with my salesperson and his manager on the sales floor, loud enough for all to hear - was such that I was actually wondering if they were going to call the cops on me and have me pulled over on the way home.

pl8ster
August 21st, 2014, 03:24 AM
Am I the last person on the face of the Earth to finally be able to plug their iPod into their car stereo? What a neat deal that is...but I'm going to have to ditch the songs with lower bit rates for sure. Funny that I am much more tolerant of sound quality differences through my earbuds, but it makes sense to me even if I can't articulate why (is there a term "sound space"?).

I underestimated how much I missed having a moonroof...and I don't believe I will ever get tired of seeing the 'flicker' when turning on the xenon headlights :D

EDIT: And I guess it should have no problem holding three kayaks on top...

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/acura-tsx-sport-wagon-is-official-vehicle-of-the-bmc-racing-team-34320_2.jpg

SupraDupra
August 21st, 2014, 08:33 AM
Wait...you're still using an iPod?

pl8ster
August 21st, 2014, 10:16 AM
Only when mowing the yard, running or [now] cruising in my 'one-one.' I listen to Spotify all day at work.

21Kid
August 21st, 2014, 01:05 PM
The 2014 Accord rental we got has a USB that is only for data... it doesn't charge my phone at all. :twitch: even though it can also connect via bluetooth. not sure what the point is. :erm:

thesameguy
August 21st, 2014, 01:14 PM
That's gotta be a bug in the car or the phone not properly negotiating current. The first 500ma is free, but anything beyond that requires negotiation by host and client.

pl8ster
August 22nd, 2014, 04:44 AM
Huh. I haven't hooked my phone up to the USB cable yet, but it sure as hell charges my iPod.

Everyone knows you have to really cane the Honda 4-cylinder engines to get the enjoyment (and the VTEKKS!!!1!)...having said that, I've been fascinated with the instant fuel economy gauge in the center of the speedo. Driving mostly sane with the occasional 1st-gear trip near redline, the trip computer says I'm averaging 29.6 mpg :eek: I know those computers tend to be optimistic, but damn, that's almost 100% around-town driving. Can't wait to do the math myself at the next fill-up to see how I really do.

Was surprised to pass a white Sport Wagon in traffic last night...first one I've seen since I bought mine.

Hopefully one of the two people coming to look at the Integra this weekend will buy it so I can have my garage back.

George
August 22nd, 2014, 08:43 AM
Am I the last person on the face of the Earth to finally be able to plug their iPod into their car stereo?

Certainly not.

Neat car! I don't know that I've ever noticed one of these wagons on the road before.

Congrats on the new ride. Drive it out to Colorado and fill 'er up with some tasty 85 octane!

Random
August 22nd, 2014, 08:56 AM
Am I the last person on the face of the Earth to finally be able to plug their iPod into their car stereo?

Nope. I'm running tape adapters in the BMW and Miata, an AUX cable in the Toyota, and nothing in the Ford, because the Ford has a CD player. wahwahwahhh :(

pl8ster
August 22nd, 2014, 10:30 AM
That reminds me...I learned recently that Lexus was the last manufacturer to offer a vehicle with a cassette player in the US. I want to say it was in 2010 :eek:

thesameguy
August 22nd, 2014, 10:32 AM
Now that's luxury.

pl8ster
August 25th, 2014, 03:22 AM
So now I only own one Acura. At least I got it running again before it departed...surprisingly little drama awakening it from 2.5 years of slumber, but I guess that's a Honda for you. Humorously - and appropriately - I'm going to spend the lion's share of the proceeds from the Integra on a single license plate :lol:

21Kid
August 25th, 2014, 11:30 AM
That's gotta be a bug in the car or the phone not properly negotiating current. The first 500ma is free, but anything beyond that requires negotiation by host and client.
Hmmm, weird. I've gotten this rental a few times and it's happened every time. I guess if it were my car I'd take it in to have checked out.

edit: A cassette deck in 2010?!? I don't think I've even used a CD since then...

pl8ster
September 24th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Finally figured out how to have the folders on a USB drive play the songs randomly within folders and across all folders. But it won't display the folder names - only "Folder 1," etc. - which is a bummer, since I put some thought into making them both descriptive and humorous. White whine...

Still really enjoying the car. Won't be long before it's time to source snow tires and rims, yeesh.

pl8ster
May 10th, 2016, 04:52 AM
Had the opportunity to see what a 19" Plastidipped no-name wheel would look like on my car, courtesy of my friend with an air compressor and floor jack who allowed me the use of both to change my snow tires/rims back over. Not too bad, aside from the no-name and Plastidip.

thesameguy
May 10th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Could be worse - I don't mind that at all!

GB
May 11th, 2016, 06:07 AM
^What he said.

Phil_SS
May 12th, 2016, 01:59 PM

pl8ster
May 13th, 2016, 04:37 PM
I've got to imagine the ride quality on something like that would be like some kind of punishment. The roads up here take a hell of a beating from the freeze/thaw cycles, and the snowplows.

Plus, "Car Modifications" is on the spending priority list far below "mortgage," "food," "beer," "license plates" and a bunch of other stuff. If I had money to throw at the wagon beyond consumables, I'd like to investigate how much it would cost to swap in a 6-speed MT from a sedan. Or a rarely-optioned V6 from the sedan. Certainly not both :devil: