PDA

View Full Version : Supra Dupra's money pit!

SupraDupra
August 19th, 2014, 02:47 PM
No it's not a Supra...Actually, I've never owned a Supra. :o

It's my beloved Audi C5 A6. Loads and loads and loads of upgrades. And, now...I'm dropping $650 for a rebuild kit after I lost the synchros for 1st and 2nd.

Random
August 19th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Support my brother and buy 2Bennett upgrades. ;)

SupraDupra
August 19th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I'd be happy to. Alas, I don't see anything on the site for transmission rebuilds. Other than that, I have nothing to up grade! Oh...wait....ask him if he sells CV boots that last longer than 3 miles? If he does, I'll take them ALL!

Random
August 19th, 2014, 03:07 PM
How about a V8 swap...DIY RS6? :D

SupraDupra
August 19th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Quite happy with my "narrow body" Stg 3+ ride now thank you. :hard:

A few years ago, I went to the Big SoCal Euro show at Qualcomm. A buddy of mine has a couple of RS6s. He'd been talking to the guys from Raven MS. The had done a 6spd swap on another customer's RS6. Because of my buddy, I got to take it for a quick spin up into 3rd in the parking lot. Quite fun!

Thanks to the same buddy, I'm rather familiar with the RS6. Years before that, about a month after meeting him, we were at a track event at Willow Springs, he walked up to me and threw me his keys, "Let me know what you think.". Then he walked away. I took it relatively easy for the next session. GAWD the torque in that thing....

Random
August 19th, 2014, 03:20 PM
:rawk:

SupraDupra
August 19th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I guess I can post this here...Me at AAA on the roval. This was before I started using V710s. What a difference that made! Quite a few interesting cars in the vid.

http://vimeo.com/10493960

thesameguy
August 20th, 2014, 08:17 AM
That's a comfy track day cruiser!

TheBenior
August 20th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I still think that the C5 platform is when the A6's styling peaked.

The only other thing I have to add is that I feel like I've spotted a unicorn when I see a C5 A6 with two functioning rear fog lamps.

Random
August 20th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Two lamps is actually a modification, I think. Only the driver's side light is supposed to light up in the US (and only the pass side in Yerp, which is why there are two).

SupraDupra
August 20th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Not as comfy as it once was. But, yeah...quite comfy.

I let my instructor drive it the first time I went to Buttonwillow. He adjusted the seat and mirrors to his preference. Then, he did a few laps. As we're coming back in to switch, he is apologizing for how he messed up my seat and mirrors. "Just take your time. Get everything back the way you want it. We'll head back out when you're ready.". So, I got in held down MEM1 for a few seconds and looked at him smiling as my seat and mirrors adjusted. As funny as I thought it was, he was about in tears he was LOLing so hard. Later, we went out in his track-only neon. I then knew what was so funny.

SupraDupra
August 20th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I still think that the C5 platform is when the A6's styling peaked.

The only other thing I have to add is that I feel like I've spotted a unicorn when I see a C5 A6 with two functioning rear fog lamps.

I wouldn't know if mine work. Here in SoCal, I don't think that I've ever turned it/them on. :D

thesameguy
August 20th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I think that's true. My Alfa only had one rear fog light, so did the Volvo. I've never actually looked at the Jag's... now I'm wondering... probably has both, as Land Rovers do.

TheBenior
August 20th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Two lamps is actually a modification, I think. Only the driver's side light is supposed to light up in the US (and only the pass side in Yerp, which is why there are two).
Ah, interesting. I had figured it was more VW turn of the century electrical issues, like 1.8T coil packs being consumable items, or ABS sensors failing on a regular basis.

thesameguy
August 20th, 2014, 09:03 AM
In most places in Europe you are limited to one rear fog light to prevent confusion with brake lights. The US and I think GB don't have such laws - we are all free to be very confused. Plus - at least here - nobody seems to understand what the switches on their dash are for, much less the actual lights.

pl8ster
August 21st, 2014, 03:12 AM
Up here, it seems compulsive for people who have them to drive with them on ALL. THE. TIME.

thesameguy
August 21st, 2014, 10:15 AM
Well, misery loves company. Glad I'm not alone. :p