PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone plans

Random
August 20th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Looking at Straight Talk, which is a BYOD service that can run on the AT&T/Verizon/other networks. $45/mo unlimited everything. Discounts for multi-month contracts. Attractive because I could pick up a Moto G or Moto E and have up-to-date hardware on a good network. Anyone have any experience with them? http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home

For comparison, I'm currently paying $25/mo for 300min/unlimited data on an Android 2.2 phone on Virgin Mobile (Sprint network). We're paying $52?/mo for 1400min/unlimited on Mapper's newer Android 4.1 phone.

Kchrpm
August 20th, 2014, 02:58 PM
How much do you call? How is T-mobile coverage in your area? If the answers are "rarely" and "good", consider the Walmart only 100 minutes/5 Gb $30 plan.

I didn't know Straight Talk was so flexible, I thought they were AT&T only.

thesameguy
August 20th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Are you sure about ST? It would be very weird to have a carrier that supports both xDMA and GSM devices. Only ex-Verizon phones would meet that criteria. Non-contract and AT&T/Tmo devices would be GSM only.

Random
August 20th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Yep--on the BYOD page you choose between GSM and CDMA equipment.

thesameguy
August 20th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Ah - one or the other. I thought the concept was both. That makes way more sense.

Random
August 20th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Oh! Yeah, I think they just change which network you piggyback on based on which equipment you show up with.

Blerpa
August 20th, 2014, 07:41 PM
The Moto G won't disappoint, aside from lacklustre camera and limited storage for some. Worthy the slightly more expensive price compared to the Moto E. Android 2.2... that must be painful!

Random
August 21st, 2014, 01:27 PM
I find the *mumble170MBmumble* of internal memory on my existing phone more limiting than the OS. :lol:

Kchrpm
August 22nd, 2014, 06:38 AM
Ye gods :D

Random
August 22nd, 2014, 07:32 AM
If it makes you feel better, my work phone is an Atrix 2 running ICS. :p

neanderthal
August 22nd, 2014, 08:57 AM
I use Solavei. $49 a month, unlimited everything. Uses T Mobile's network.

Blerpa
August 22nd, 2014, 08:57 AM
I find the *mumble170MBmumble* of internal memory on my existing phone more limiting than the OS. :lol:

AWESOME! :lol:

21Kid
August 22nd, 2014, 01:34 PM
I have been on Republic (https://republicwireless.com/)for a while now and really like it. It's not exactly BYOD because of the proprietary software they install to use wifi calling. But, I actually prefer the wifi calling when at home/work because I get much better reception.

And I really like the MOTO X that I got with it. They have the MotoG too.

I've been thinking about getting another phone through them as a "Home Phone" since you can get a wifi only plan for $5.