PDA

View Full Version : Those games you forgot you loved

SupraDupra
September 2nd, 2014, 09:01 AM
My 17yo nephew spent the weekend with us. On Saturday, he started looking thru my old game library and pulled out Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4. We decided to pop it in and OMG! I forgot how much fun that game is. My boys were loving it too.

Kchrpm
September 2nd, 2014, 09:12 AM
What about games that were forgotten by the industry when it came time to make sequels but loved by me?

Freedom Fighters and Test Drive Le Mans, I will never forget you.

Godson
September 2nd, 2014, 03:34 PM
I started playing FF8 again. I forgot about that game until Rob mentioned 7, 8, and 9 were available on the play store for cheap.

MR2 Fan
September 2nd, 2014, 03:41 PM
I started playing FF8 again. I forgot about that game until Rob mentioned 7, 8, and 9 were available on the play store for cheap.

ORLY?

interesting

Edit: Just realized you didn't mean the Google Play store....they only have FF 1-6 (which is still awesome)

SupraDupra
September 3rd, 2014, 08:44 AM
I'm thinking God of War will be next up for me.

Yw-slayer
September 3rd, 2014, 07:41 PM
KRRRAAAAATTOOOSSSSSSSSS

Godson
September 4th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I loved the first one and second. I never did beat the third. I got bored.

SupraDupra
September 5th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I loved the first one and second. I never did beat the third. I got bored.
same for me.

Cam
September 5th, 2014, 08:41 AM
I never forget the things I loved. :sadbanana:

Kchrpm
September 5th, 2014, 09:13 AM
But if you forgot you loved them, and then forgot them? YOU WOULDN'T KNOW BECAUSE YOU FORGOT!
#mindblown

George
January 20th, 2020, 08:50 AM
Duke Nukem 3D is back in my life after a very long absence. Don't know how long it will hold my interest, but I rediscovered the game this weekend and am pleased to see there is still an active community online hosting user maps and a new game engine and other things.

I imagine most at this site know this game, but if not, here's a good article about it: Duke Nukem 3D is a Pop Culture Icon that was, and still is, a great Video Game (http://agentpalmer.com/5814/media/duke-nukem-3d-is-a-pop-culture-icon-that-was-and-still-is-a-great-video-game/)

I used to play it back in the late '90s and early '00s. I enjoyed downloading and playing user-made maps, of which there used to be so many that it seemed like I could never play them all. By today's standards, the game seems a bit mundane. Spawn in a map. Explore. Find weapons. Kill enemies. Sometimes find secret areas. Pick up access cards to get through locked doors. Sometimes you have to find switches to press to make things happen, like opening doors or turning off force fields. Eventually, you find the button to press at the end of each map and your statistics for that map appear on the screen. That's all, until you select another map. I believe I can also set up LAN multiplayer matches for player vs. player games.

I actually might still have my original game CD somewhere, but the game is available online in a few places. Here's one: https://archive.org/search.php?query=duke%20nukem

There are other sources online to find the Duke Nukem 3D Megaton edition, which came with a few expansion packs from back in the day. Apparently the Megaton edition was sold on Steam but is currently not available, at least not "officially".

And here's an "free homebrew game engine and source port" that makes the game run better on modern PCs by expanding the resolution and other stuff I'm still exploring: https://www.eduke32.com/. Apparently it runs on Macintosh and Linux computer also.

I just downloaded EDuke32 this weekend and I don't have it set up perfectly yet, but the game is very playable and better than running the original version if only for the increased resolution (larger view and less pixelation). There's a forum for it here: https://forums.duke4.net/forum/26-everything-eduke32/

It looks like a lot of the old user maps are still around, and I assume hardcore Duke fans are still making new ones. There are hundreds of maps here: https://dukeworld.com/

It's fun to go back to a world in which the OJ Simpson car chase is still on TV. And I wonder if Duke Nukem is the only video game with functional urinals and toilets - "Ahhh. That's better." :lol:

JoeW
January 20th, 2020, 12:41 PM
Been playing City of Heroes for the last several months after the game was brought back online by a group of fans who took it over from the original company that went out of business over ten years ago.

Jason
January 21st, 2020, 07:50 AM
Oh man, I need to check that out. I loved City of Heroes so much

Leon
January 21st, 2020, 07:40 PM
I went back and played Ascendancy (1995) on a borrowed ipad.

Planet empire building game. Such fun still :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascendancy_(video_game)

Tom Servo
January 22nd, 2020, 05:46 AM
I never played Okami but after hearing so many good things about it I picked it up on the Switch.

I still haven't actually gotten past the intro.

Yw-slayer
January 31st, 2020, 09:48 PM
It's a great game. But I've now forgotten the controls.

I am wearing a Half-Life 2 hoodie today.

sandydandy
February 7th, 2020, 01:27 PM
An old DOS game called Solar Winds. I used to play it on my old old computer. I still have it on floppy disk but no A drive available anywhere.

Tried playing it online but it was extremely slow at the website. Tried downloading it but that didn’t work because DOS games for some reason have trouble on Windows 10. Downloaded another program as a workaround and it did work, but no sound. WTF??

Then I abandoned it and just watched someone else play on YouTube. It was enough to satiate me.

Rare White Ape
February 7th, 2020, 02:59 PM
Did you play it in DOS Box? It's a program specially designed to run DOS games in a modern OS.

sandydandy
February 7th, 2020, 08:04 PM
I think it was DOS Box. Might’ve been something else, I’ll have to doublecheck next time I go on my computer. You had to open it and then execute a few DOS commands within the program to open the game. IIRC you had to do it every time you opened it, which was painstaking so I left it. Plus the sound wasn’t working in the game so I said screw it.

Godson
February 7th, 2020, 10:06 PM
Solar winds was way cool!!

sandydandy
February 8th, 2020, 07:47 PM
Did you play it in DOS Box? It's a program specially designed to run DOS games in a modern OS. Checked my computer and it was definitely DOSBox. Not sure why I was having trouble with the sound. Maybe the game file was bad. I’ll try again in the future.

sandydandy
November 23rd, 2020, 09:32 AM
Star Control. Featuring the Alliance of Free Stars versus the Ur-Quan Hierarchy. I used to have an old IBM PS/1 and this game came with it, and I used to play it regularly. Didn't really play the full game cause it was hard to understand, nor did I really know the storyline. Used to mostly play melee mode. I left that old computer behind at my parents house and a few years ago they threw it out, which broke my heart. Recently I learned that the game was ported to the Sega Genesis. I actually found the game on my Rasperry Pi emulator (Sumosys) in the Genesis section and tried playing the other day. The Genesis version is almost the same as the PC version, except the sound is noticeably off. That part sucks. Maybe I'll look for a DOS version of the game and try playing on my computer.

Also while on the topic of games we forgot we loved, Duke Nukem 1 and 2 for PC.

Yw-slayer
November 23rd, 2020, 03:53 PM
There's a full Star Control reboot out btw.

Tom Servo
November 23rd, 2020, 09:26 PM
Yep, called the Ur-Quan Masters.

My brother-in-law does a great Spathi voice.

sandydandy
November 24th, 2020, 06:07 AM
Interesting. Maybe I'll check it out.

Kchrpm
November 24th, 2020, 11:25 AM
What about games that were forgotten by the industry when it came time to make sequels but loved by me?

Freedom Fighters and Test Drive Le Mans, I will never forget you.

Freedom Fighters was finally released digitally back in September, so you PC gamers can experience an old flame of mine!