PDA

View Full Version : Guide to New Zealand slang

SkylineObsession
September 6th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Really hope this hasn't been posted before, but it did do a few searches with possible terms, but came up with nada.

Anywho, wifey was meandering through Facebook or somewhere the other day and came upon this guide to New Zealand sayings/slang.
Looking through it, we saw a lot of things that we often say, and then noticed beside a number of them that it appears we're the only people in the world who say 'that' word, or say it 'that way'.

Firstly the link; http://www.brenontheroad.com/travellers-guide-new-zealand-slang/

And here's the list of words i have said, or commonly say (selected from that site).

Kiwi – When referencing a New Zealander, or our little flightless bird

Jandals – It's all i've ever called them/heard them called! Flip flops just sound weird.

Dairy – ALWAYS called them this, convenience store sounds way too long - and gives the impression to me that the store is bigger than a dairy, but smaller than a supermarket.

Chilly bin – Never really called them anything else

The wops – I kinda use this saying, but say 'the wop wops'. Not to be confused with wob wob (rotaries).

Macca’s – I sometimes call McDonald’s this, but usually just use the full name. McDonald$.

Togs – Always called 'swimsuits' togs.

Bonnet & boot – Again, always call the back and front of a car the bonnet and boot. The hood is where you don't go at night, and trucks are on elephants. ;)

Scull – I say it with different spelling, skull/skulled but i sometimes use this word in reference to drinking something really quick.

Buggered – Another saying i use often, just sounds 'normal' here when describing how tired you are.

Fizzy drink – Always call it this. The make your own stuff we call soda stream though.

Mince – Always, even says it on the packets at the butchers/supermarkets.

Pissed – Sometimes use this word when referencing a drunk person, but usually only use it when i'm joking around.

Bro – I only say this when i'm doing accents, or joking around. i.e. 'Sup bro' (a.k.a G'day/Hello)

All good - Say it often, when accepting a response from someone. i.e. I'm gonna be 5 mins late/Can't make it today sorry/Didn't bring it with me. "All good".

Sweet as – Same as above generally. Sometimes with a more positive spin, i.e. Be there shortly/I've got a package for ya (Command & Conquer reference :p )/See you Thursday

Not even – Usually only use this when joking around/doing accents

Reckon – Say this a lot, and a number of ways. i.e. I reckon he won't do it. I reckon. (another way of saying 'i agree'). Reckon its about time we head off. etc.

Mean – Another way i say 'cool', 'all good', 'sounds good' etc.

Heaps - Say this often. i.e. There's heaps of them ay/Thats heaps better

Piece of piss - Say it every now and then in reference to something that sounds like i could easily do.

Taking the piss – Sometimes say this too, when i think someone is just trying to egg people on or is just joking around.

Yeah nah bro - Say this kinda often, but usually without the 'bro' unless i'm again doing an accent etc.

Gizza - When i'm wanting to taste something i sometimes say 'gizza bite/gizza drink' and so on.

Aye – Say it reasonably often in the context; "Thats pretty cool aye?" "Aye?" (another way of saying what?!? or Really?). Pronounced the way it is spelled, not 'iiie' or whatever like in Scotland?

Chur – Me and wifey say this often, and i almost think we've started saying it a new way to others - or at least our most common way of saying it isn't mentioned on that site. We often say it in a 'Sorry to hear that" or "that sucks" kinda way. As well as the way it is mentioned on the site, just not as often.

Can’t be bothered – This is my middle name, or one of my most common sayings. :O Blame our cold, damp, mouldy, draughty, crappyish (but better than lots of others) house. Just lose all motivation to do things when we get home. Unless its a sunny, warm day.

Suss – Rarely say this word, but have sometimes. 'Gonna go suss this out'. 'He looks a bit suss.'

Mint - Sometimes i say this when meaning 'cool', 'that sounds good' etc.

So i reckon that you bro's should suss out the list and post a mean as reply with heaps of sayings that you sweet as cuzzys use from that site aye? Unless you can't be bothered, then its all good bro. Chuuuur.

Freude am Fahren
September 6th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Cool story, Bru

:p

speedpimp
September 6th, 2014, 04:09 PM
A+. Will read again.

G'day Mate
September 6th, 2014, 04:30 PM
A lot of those (most in fact) are shared with Australia and perhaps other places, but yeah things like "jandals" and "chilly-bin" (or "chully-bun") are definitely yours. There's one other they missed too - "choice"!! What a glaring omission!!

SkylineObsession
September 6th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Yeah, reading through the comments i noticed some people saying that a few are European sayings or something as well.

Not an entirely accurate list, but it is the internet after all.

Rare White Ape
September 6th, 2014, 10:00 PM
That list is munted without a few choice additions. Like 'munted'.

"He got so pissed he was munted,"

"The new MX-5 looks munted," or

"He crashed his bike into a tree and he got all munted up bro"

overpowered
September 6th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Nothing about sheep? It is New Zealand after all.

ettsn
September 7th, 2014, 03:56 AM
http://youtu.be/ZdVHZwI8pcA

Yw-slayer
September 7th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Basically the same country, innit: http://youtu.be/DHQRZXM-4xI

KillerB
September 7th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Be careful where you say "wop."

samoht
September 7th, 2014, 09:51 AM
About a half of those are commonplace in British English too, so it's a mix of 'words Americans don't use' and distinctively kiwi ones.

Tom Servo
September 7th, 2014, 07:39 PM
http://www.anorak.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/flight_of_the_conchords_.jpeg

Yobbo NZ
September 8th, 2014, 12:18 AM
I can't stand Rhys Darby,in every movie or tv show, he really works his accent,it's cringeworthy and that's coming from a fellow sheepshagger.

SportWagon
September 9th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Bonnet & boot – Again, always call the back and front of a car the bonnet and boot. The hood is where you don't go at night, and trucks are on elephants. ;)
Should that be lorries on elephants? ;) (As in "swimming lorries" is another name for "bathing suit"?)

Rare White Ape
September 12th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I can't stand Rhys Darby,in every movie or tv show, he really works his accent,it's cringeworthy and that's coming from a fellow sheepshagger.

Even my Kiwi housemate was putting on a thuck Keewee eccent last night to umitate Rhys Darby.

Of course being a smart alec I heeped shut on her for it.