PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Neuroma

Cam
September 10th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I gots it. :(

August 1, I woke up with tinnitus in my left ear. Saw two GPs (one in Alaska and one here) about the issue. They didn't know what was up. September 2, tinnitus was so bad it woke me from sleep. Got in with a ear, nose, throat (ENT) doctor who gave me a hearing test and an MRI. I have high-frequency hearing loss in the left ear. It seems they found a small cyst via the MRI that has developed around my ear nerve which is causing pressure and causing the problem. It is not large enough yet to warrant surgery or radiation treatment and he believes it is not cancerous. It's called an acoustic neuroma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestibular_schwannoma

So, it seems I'm stuck with it for now. Tinnitus isn't too bad right now, but it's certainly annoying. I could face more hearing loss if it is treated by either surgery or radiation. The doctor would like to monitor it for the next 6-12 months and do another MRI then to measure the rate of growth. If it gets to the point that it is too large, then they would treat it. However, it is likely that I would lose hearing in that ear.

Disappointing news. Bummer. :(

thesameguy
September 10th, 2014, 01:24 PM
That is certainly less than ideal - is these any approach for a biopsy or is it just monitoring from the outside?

novicius
September 10th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Aw Cam, that's tough to read about. :(

Did they say if inflammatory drugs like ibuprofin help at all?

Cam
September 10th, 2014, 01:31 PM
To biopsy it, there would have to be surgery. It's inside my head.

I am currently taking prednisone (corticosteroid) for the next ten days. It has not helped so far and I don't have high hopes after today's chat with the doc.

speedpimp
September 10th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Fuck, hope it(the cyst and the tinnitus) both go away peacefully.

21Kid
September 10th, 2014, 02:22 PM
:( That stinks Cam. Sorry.

drew
September 10th, 2014, 02:57 PM
:(

Alan P
September 10th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Damn Cam. :(

Hope it works out Ok for you, I've had some ear infections in the past, although outer ear and tinnitus isn't fun.

FaultyMario
September 10th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Take care buddy, and fear not... doctors are there for you.

G'day Mate
September 10th, 2014, 05:18 PM
We're all getting old and things don't work as well as they used to. :(

M4FFU
September 11th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Crappy :( Tough place to me in, I'm sure. I gained (if that’s the right word) tinnitus over night, about 6 years ago. Didn’t sleep for two weeks (oh, Zopiclone, you wonder) and it took me ages to get used to it. I am now, and it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I do have suspiciously good hearing, even with it, however.

Stay strong.

Cam
September 11th, 2014, 03:38 AM
I forgot to mention my balance is a bit messed up too--constant light-headed/dizzy feeling. Thankfully, I can still ride my bike just fine.

JSGeneral
September 11th, 2014, 04:02 AM
:(

Hang in there and keep us updated.

Let us know if you want us to type quieter too. "Ease up on the caps lock everyone, Cam is here." :)

George
September 11th, 2014, 04:29 AM
HEY EVERYBODY! WHAT'S GOING ON IN HERE?!

Oh...sorry..

Sorry to hear this news Cam. Best wishes to you. :toast:

JoshInKC
September 11th, 2014, 05:18 AM
Bummer. At this point I can't imagine how terrible it must be to suddenly have tinnitus. I've had it (the typical loud noise induced type) for nearly 20 years and it still drives me crazy occaisionally.
Hopefully since yours has a specific direct cause, they'll come up with a good easy treatment in the near future. Good luck.

TheBenior
September 11th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Hopefully since yours has a specific direct cause, they'll come up with a good easy treatment in the near future. Good luck.

QFT

Kchrpm
September 11th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I'm just glad it's something annoying rather than deadly. You'll continue to be awesome, Cam, I'm sure of it :up:

Yw-slayer
September 11th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Take care mate.

Mr Wonder
September 11th, 2014, 08:59 AM
That sucks Cam. Hopefully the doc can sort you out mate.

novicius
September 11th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I've had it (the typical loud noise induced type) for nearly 20 years and it still drives me crazy occaisionally.
Yeah, same here. I attended waaay too many 'eavy metal/cock-rock/butt-rock shows without hearing protection when I was younger. :smh:

Here's hoping it subsides quickly, Cam! :up:

Cam
September 11th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the support guys. :)

21Kid
September 11th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I'll support you any time... with BOTH hands.

tigeraid
September 11th, 2014, 11:17 AM
It does suck. Never mind the PAIN, I can't imagine how annoying it would be, the constant pressure and ringing.

Kchrpm
September 11th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I'll support you any time... with BOTH hands.
Cup and lift :up:

stephenb
September 11th, 2014, 12:46 PM
That sucks, hope you manage to get better in whatever way possible.

Crazed_Insanity
September 11th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Hang in there dude! Hope that thing won't grow anymore or better yet waste away so that it won't bother you anymore.

Anyway, what a cool name for a medical issue. I initially thought this thread was about some obscure new band or something... I guess it could be for some heavy metal band's name, huh? After attending their concert you get ringing in your ears! :p

Godson
September 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Sorry to hear. Stay safe on ze bike.

SupraDupra
September 16th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Damn. That is tough. Hang in there man!