PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Vacation review

MR2 Fan
September 21st, 2014, 07:43 PM
Was posting in Rikadyn's thread but decided to start a new one.

Whew, just got back from Tokyo this morning after 12 days of awesomeness. I had been to Tokyo twice before on short stays, but wanted to have a much longer stay....and wow did it impress me. What I've learned:

1. Jet Lag Sucks....for me especially, I feel horrible for several days after I arrive usually, and everything I've tried doesn't seem to help. Therefore I didn't get as much done in the first few days as I hoped.

2. However, I had a blast and definitely want to move to Japan as soon as possible, it's just so much nicer than where I live now...I was really not looking forward to going home....even if...

3. There are earthquakes...there was a 5.6 while we (my roommate and I) were having lunch....I was freaked out only because I was drunk on some really strong sake and didn't know if I could go somewhere in case things got serious. My roommate, who was freaked out from an earthquake the last time we visited didn't seem to care this time, ironically.

4. Customer Service in Japan is just incredible...everyone makes you feel like a VIP, and unlike in the U.S., it never feels forced or that they're reading from a script that they HAVE to read because their boss says so, etc.

5. If you get motion sickness easliy, and are jet lagged, you might not like the train rides...I think I don't usually get motion sick, but with the jet lag, massive turbulence we experienced on the way to Narita airport, and the motion of the trains the first few days, I was feeling really nauseous....ginger helps.

6. Japanese TV is the most awesome, strangest damn thing ever. I was taking a picture pretty much every night and posting it to my FB account, with the caption "Meanwhile, on Japanese TV".

7. People asked why we'd spend all 12 days just in Tokyo and not go to Kyoto or Osaka, etc. Well it's expensive, I didn't want to change hotels and do luggage and all of that crap, and there's just SO MUCH to do in Tokyo, we still missed about 5 things on my list of to-do things.

8. I LOVE JAPANESE GIRLS....saw so many beautiful ones, some even smiled and waved at us, or said "hi" randomly and took photos, and my roommate and I are two average looking, overweight guys. Also, FYI, this was just on trains or at DisneySea....not in Roppongi or Kabukicho where they're trying to get us into clubs....I know the difference

9. speaking of Kabukicho...that's where the Robot Restaurant is, which you may be familiar with if you've ever seen the Anthony Bourdain show about "Tokyo Nights" on CNN. He said it is the best show he's ever seen and I'm inclined to agree...it is AWESOME!! I'm truly amazed at how much stuff they fit into the 1.5 hour show, custom made robots, props, and lots of dancing girls in skimpy outfits (but it is PG, nothing adult themed). The girls do get up very close to you though, which is great

10. BE CAREFUL, as soon as we walked out of the Robot Restaurant, a muscular black guy who sounded American (not that it matters, just saying) came up to my roommate and FORCEFULLY tried to convince us to go with him into one of the hostess bars (I'm guessing)...I just said consantly "I'm walking this way" pointing to the train station and kept moving past him. I didn't panic but was really offset by that. I KNEW there was people trying to get you into the clubs and heard its usually cute girls who just stand outside, and I KNEW there were usually large Nigerian men who can beat your funds out of you after they put drugs into your drinks in the clubs. This guy literally put his arm around my roommate first, then me.....my roommate said he was about to start something and I told him that's T a good idea since they work for Yakuza. He shut up after that.

11. Oh, I went to the emergency room too...normally I wouldn't worry about posting it, but was so impressed by it, thought I'd share. I thought I had a heart problem, long story short, I took an ambulance ride, had amazing and fast service from everyone, they did all tests had about 15 people working constantly on everything, and had a drop dead GORGEOUS Japanese nurse translating into perfect english for me who I TOTALLY would have asked out if I wasn't feeling like crap.......after x-rays, blood tests, EEG's whatever, etc. and everything....total cost for gaijin with no Japanese insurance or anything, $350 out the door. Unreal. It would have cost probably 20x that in the U.S., heck I've had an ambulance ride by itself cost me $500 before.

12. Convenience...it was sooo nice to go about 3 steps from our hotel room and have a vending machine with about 30 drink choices, or go downstairs to 7-11 and have actually EDIBLE pre-packaged food that is healthy, every day. I became addicted to Milk Tea and Onigiri. I thought about asking someone at 7-11 here in the states if they had Onigiri, but would probably get something like "WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME???"

13. I LOVE JAPANESE GIRLS (sorry, had to say it again)

14. Capsule Machines- 200 - 300 yen ($2-3 USD) of awesome gifts or random stuff to keep yourself. There's hundreds featuring all kinds of randomness. My FAVORITE though was found at the Pokemon center (I know nothing about Pokemon, but my roommate is a huge fan)....I got a capsule from a capsule machine. Inside that capsule was a smaller capsule machine with CAPSULES INSIDE OF IT and a fully working mechanism. CAPCEPTION!!!

15. Here's the places visited:

Akihabara - Awesome place, some massive stores with 7+ levels of everything electronics, toys, books, appliances, everything...and there's also maid cafe's (silly, but fun), anime/manga stores everywhere. We visited twice, once to buy gifts at the end of our trip so we knew what we wanted to buy at the end.

Odaiba (or Daiba as some locals call it) - Toyota MegaWeb, full size Gundam, Sega Joypolis indoor arcade/theme park, Super AutoBacs, and many, many cool stores and other things to see...the whole island is filled with awesome stuff and is full of wide-open spaces which is nice compared to the crowds of the rest of Tokyo. We visited here twice also, just because there's SO MANY things to do.

Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea - Yes, we live in Florida and still visited the Tokyo parks, because the Tokyo ones are just much, much better. DisneySea is IMO one of the nicest places I've ever been to, whether you actually go on rides or not.

Mt. Takao- Went with my lovely friend Ayumi and some of her friends...went up the mountain in a "cable car" (really a train) and had 2 hours of unlimited beer and awesome japanese food, most of it fried

Tokyo Tower/Skytree - Two similar experiences, Tokyo Tower is much less busy now I think, but still fun and they have some nice stores with random crap to buy. They were having a "Highball garden" sponsored by Suntory whil we were there, but it was a few hours after we showed up. Skytree was VERY busy on the weekend, took us about 90 minutes just to get tickets...the whole place is huge with a lot of restaurants, ice cream places and upper end stores. Not sure if it's worth a 90 minute wait though...go on a weekday.

Robot Restaurant - in Kabukicho - Greatest show on earth...not really able to describe it...lots of lights, dancing, music, robots and sheer random hilarity.

Severak Kaiten Sushi places- Conveyor Belt sushi restaurants, once again VERY convenient, inexpensive and great sushi overall, love them.

16. Now to figure out how to get a bachelor's degree so I can officially move there and become an english teacher.

Link to 800+ pics and a few videos:

http://s660.photobucket.com/user/techno9991/library/?sort=3&page=1

Rikadyn
September 21st, 2014, 08:28 PM
I wish I had your hospital experience, my nurse was male lol, and despite the hospital being listed as having english staff, I had to fumble through with my japanese, which I know enough of to be able to know I know nothing and be confused.

Yw-slayer
September 21st, 2014, 08:32 PM
That's because you're not in Tokyo...

Rikadyn
September 21st, 2014, 08:36 PM
I dunno Kyoto is usually higher ranked in tourism than Tokyo, you'd think it'd be at least equal demand for it here.

MR2 Fan
September 21st, 2014, 08:43 PM
I dunno, all I know is I wish I had that nurse's contact info :(

Yw-slayer
September 21st, 2014, 08:44 PM
You sure it wasn't just you hallucinating after having watched too much of your "Collection"? ;)

Who's the girl at page 20 - random commuter? :lol:

Nice one though, mate. When my kids are older I think I'll probably take them to Tokyo Disneyland (we have a small Magic Kingdom in HK but for various reasons it's not ideal).

I'm also looking into the Disney resort in Hawaii.

MR2 Fan
September 21st, 2014, 08:53 PM
You sure it wasn't just you hallucinating after having watched too much of your "Collection"? ;)

Who's the girl at page 20 - random commuter? :lol:

Nice one though, mate. When my kids are older I think I'll probably take them to Tokyo Disneyland (we have a small Magic Kingdom in HK but for various reasons it's not ideal).

I'm also looking into the Disney resort in Hawaii.

The girl on page 20 is my friend Ayumi...she has a BF right now, but was VERY flirtacious that day...tsk tsk.

yeah, Tokyo Disney is massively better than HKDL, even with HK's new additions (Mystic Manor being the exception, that looks amazing).

I don't know much about the Disney resort in Hawaii, other than they're having trouble getting people to fill the rooms...I think because it really isn't too "special" compared to the other hotels in Hawaii. I dunno, I've never been to Hawaii besides the Honolulu airport

IMOA
September 21st, 2014, 10:48 PM
A few comments

As a general rule the fact that Ayumi has a BF or is married is not all that important, as long as you don't make a big deal out of it neither will she.

In terms of dealing with the Nigerians you would have to do a hell of a lot to end up in some trouble, pushing them away and telling them to fuck off is nowhere near a hell of a lot. Their job is to get cashed up gaijin into the clubs, beating up gaijin is very very bad for business. But the best strategy by far is simply to talk to them, introduce yourself, ask them how they're night is going, where are they from, how long they've been in Japan etc. The vast majority of them are pretty decent guys just doing a job, once they get to know you they'll just say g'day, have a bit of a chat etc.

MR2 Fan
September 21st, 2014, 11:04 PM
In terms of dealing with the Nigerians you would have to do a hell of a lot to end up in some trouble, pushing them away and telling them to fuck off is nowhere near a hell of a lot. Their job is to get cashed up gaijin into the clubs, beating up gaijin is very very bad for business. But the best strategy by far is simply to talk to them, introduce yourself, ask them how they're night is going, where are they from, how long they've been in Japan etc. The vast majority of them are pretty decent guys just doing a job, once they get to know you they'll just say g'day, have a bit of a chat etc.

Ayumi and I have been friends for a long time...we both worked together here in the U.S. 7 years ago, and I've been in touch since then and visited her each time I went to Japan...something seemed different this time, though, its funny to me more than anything.

As for the Nigerians, etc. yeah, I'm just going by horror stories I've heard from trip review sites, etc.

IMOA
September 21st, 2014, 11:55 PM
The horror stories generally have a kernel of truth but basically involve someone being exceptionally stupid in the wrong place at the wrong time then having to come up with a believable story to explain a very large credit card bill so they omit several key details then that story gets embellished every time it passes through a new set of hands.

MR2 Fan
September 22nd, 2014, 12:50 AM
Thought of you guys when taking this pic (going back to the GT1 days)

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu329/techno9991/20140917_143811_zpsbbe43ed8.jpg

IMOA
September 22nd, 2014, 02:35 AM
Woot, there's a new hyper rev out for the 86 :)

Rikadyn
September 22nd, 2014, 02:49 AM
How come never thought to look at the magazine racks for car mags...maybe cause all I see idol mags...

Yw-slayer
September 22nd, 2014, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the tips, Greg. Not that I'd ever need to use them, of course.

Crazed_Insanity
September 22nd, 2014, 09:24 AM
I still cannot get over the fact that you had an ambulance ride with a drop dead gorgeous nurse and all for $350?
Will Obamacare ever reach that level of service? We can only hope. ;)

Glad you're alright and enjoyed yourself!

samoht
September 22nd, 2014, 10:51 AM
Awesome, glad you enjoyed Tokyo, sounds about right. I usually visit the two big bookshops east and west of Tokyo station for car books (Yaesu and Marunouchi areas), always find something to bring back with me.

Was back there again in August, too damn hot (wife wanted to visit parents for obon etc), but still, had a great time as usual.

As far as medical costs go, certainly for dentists the costs are regulated by the government, I assume it's the same for hospitals. In all fairness, "cheaper medical care than the US" isn't really a distinctively Japanese thing ;) (but that's another thread).

harper
September 23rd, 2014, 01:43 PM
Glad to hear you had fun! But it's funny to see the list of places and go "tourist spot...tourist spot...tourist spot..." ;)

I've been living here since early August so I'm still getting used to things, but I feel much more like a local than a tourist or expat. I understand far too much to be a tourist, and I don't have nearly enough cash to be on that expat life :p I'm more worried about commutes and which train line is the cheapest.

Doing things in Tokyo as an English speaker is so, so much easier than anywhere else. It's like a cheat code, or playing on easy mode compared to my last three years out in Nagasaki. The city is wonderful, the city is crazy, but I do miss the beautiful countryside of Kyushu.

MR2 Fan
September 23rd, 2014, 03:15 PM
Glad to hear you had fun! But it's funny to see the list of places and go "tourist spot...tourist spot...tourist spot..." ;)

I've been living here since early August so I'm still getting used to things, but I feel much more like a local than a tourist or expat. I understand far too much to be a tourist, and I don't have nearly enough cash to be on that expat life :p I'm more worried about commutes and which train line is the cheapest.

Doing things in Tokyo as an English speaker is so, so much easier than anywhere else. It's like a cheat code, or playing on easy mode compared to my last three years out in Nagasaki. The city is wonderful, the city is crazy, but I do miss the beautiful countryside of Kyushu.

Guilty as charged! I grew up in Orlando which is also "tourist spot....tourist spot...", so I guess I'm just used to that and I know us baka gaijin can get around more easily ;)

I definitely want to get more into the non-touristy stuff, but I'd like to know more of the Japanese language first.

IMOA
September 23rd, 2014, 08:05 PM

I'm in Tokyo in a couple of weeks. Beers.

harper
September 24th, 2014, 04:31 AM
I'm in Tokyo in a couple of weeks. Beers.

holler on LINE anytime. I work weekdays normal hours. it's been too long!

IMOA
September 24th, 2014, 06:42 AM
holler on LINE anytime. I work weekdays normal hours. it's been too long!

Cool. Thinking maybe the 12th. Grab some food, watch F1 at Sochi, drink some more, public holiday the next day.

Mortavian
September 24th, 2014, 07:22 AM
If you guys make plans for the 12th, post an update here. I've been bad about keeping an eye on the forums here these days, but I'll probably be down in Tokyo the weekend of the 11th-12th for airsoft. Wouldn't mind joining you guys for a drink, if circumstances allow. :up:

MR2 Fan
September 24th, 2014, 08:10 AM
One more thing I wanted to mention....I've heard for a while that smoking is still a big problem in Japan and they were slow to ban smoking in certain areas, but wow, things have definitely changed. Most places we went to were "no smoking" entirely, with only a few exceptions.

21Kid
September 24th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Doing touristy stuff is okay though. :cool:

I went to SF last year and did all the touristy stuff. Alcatraz, Muir woods, wine tour, etc... and it was damn fun. There are a lot of touristy things in Chicago that I want to do before I move.

I lived in Milwaukee, WI nearly all my life and never went on the Miller brewery tour or House on the rock or door county, because I always just thought of them as touristy... But, now that I've moved and realized that it won't be as easy to go see them, I should have done them while there.

harper
September 25th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Cool. Thinking maybe the 12th. Grab some food, watch F1 at Sochi, drink some more, public holiday the next day.

K. might have a sudden windfall of money (may have been overcharged one month for old rent, so might have some more money to get me by) and was thinking of going to the WEC at Fuji, but looking at time schedules, trains, etc., might just be too much at the moment. still kinda thinking about an event that's on the 13th but I'll have to check for tickets to that. and I think it'd be too much to fly down for the girlfriend's birthday so last-minute. I'm near Meguro station, so central to all kinds of trouble.

IMOA
September 26th, 2014, 03:08 AM
K. might have a sudden windfall of money (may have been overcharged one month for old rent, so might have some more money to get me by) and was thinking of going to the WEC at Fuji, but looking at time schedules, trains, etc., might just be too much at the moment. still kinda thinking about an event that's on the 13th but I'll have to check for tickets to that. and I think it'd be too much to fly down for the girlfriend's birthday so last-minute. I'm near Meguro station, so central to all kinds of trouble.

I was thinking WEC as well but would be pita without a car. That said, I'd be happy to spring for the hire car if yours is down in Kyushu, we could go down for the day and still make it back to Tokyo for the F1. I was originally planning on doing this but work has been so busy I haven't been able to get my international permit but if you're there we won't need one.

harper
September 26th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I was thinking WEC as well but would be pita without a car. That said, I'd be happy to spring for the hire car if yours is down in Kyushu, we could go down for the day and still make it back to Tokyo for the F1. I was originally planning on doing this but work has been so busy I haven't been able to get my international permit but if you're there we won't need one.

the lady's actually in Okinawa now :) and I just renewed my license in Tokyo a week or two ago, I'm AT legal for another three years.

It's only 94 kms to get out there? Fucking hell, so long as traffic isn't awful (heh, heh) that would be piss easy. Hmm.

IMOA
September 26th, 2014, 11:49 PM
I'll take that as meaning we're going to WEC on the 12th :)

FWIW I have driven out to Fuji speedway before, it's pretty easy from Tokyo as it's all freeway and 2 lane each way highway, no single lane stuff stuck behind grandma