PDA

View Full Version : Got new IE version on work PC. How can I set up Google as default search instead of Bing?

George
October 6th, 2014, 08:34 AM
This is consistent with my experience with other software "upgrades" in the business world: things that used to work fine no longer do.

It used to be that I would type anything into the address bar and it would search through Google. Now with this new version, it appears to be stuck on Bing no mattter what I do. Bing sucks! It seems to point to "where to buy" whatever I'm searching instead of "here's some info about" whatever I'm seaching as Google does. Things I used to search and find immediately with Google aren't even on the first page of Bing sometimes.

I've been all through the Internet Options, Manage Add-Ons, and everything else I can find but I can't seem to make this work like the old version of IE did. I did find out how to move Google above Bing on the list, but when I type something in, it still searches to Bing rather than Google. I can't seem to select which I want. The old version of IE would let me do that and even let me choose Wikipedia instead of Google if I wanted to. I never even saw Bing on the list with the old browser, and now it seems to be my only option from whatever page I happen to be on.

I realize I can type www.google.com and then search whatever I want, but I used to be able to type the search terms into the address bar and that worked fine. Why would they take away this function? Oh, yeah - to drive more traffic to Bing, right, to make it look better to advertisers?

Installing a different browser is not an option as this is my work PC and not my personal one.

Thanks for any advice.

Kchrpm
October 6th, 2014, 08:55 AM
What version if IE? What version of Windows? I will (or you could) look up if there are any known issues. Sometimes there are deeper settings that don't let things change your search engine preferences to prevent malware from doing it, sometimes there are little options that pop up that have you change it back, or maybe it's just broken.

thesameguy
October 6th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Tools -> Manage Add-ons -> Search Provider

George
October 6th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Thanks gents. I finally figured it out.

Internet Options -> Programs tab - > Manage Add-ons -> Search Providers

In the Search Providers screen, I had "Search in Address Bar" selected and Google moved up to the top of the list above Bing, but that seemed to make no difference in actual use.

I had not noticed the "Set As Default" button, which I just selected for Google and now all is as it was before.

FWIW, there's not a Manage Add-ons under the Tools menu of whatever version I have now (don't know how to check).

Thanks again.

thesameguy
October 6th, 2014, 12:14 PM
That's weird. There should be one. You can also use the "gear" icon on the right.

After you add a new provider and set it as default, you can remove Bing if you so choose.

George
October 6th, 2014, 12:27 PM
That's weird. There should be one. You can also use the "gear" icon on the right.

After you add a new provider and set it as default, you can remove Bing if you so choose.

Roger on the gear icon.

And you're right about removing Bing - you just can't do it all at once. Save, then go back and change it again. I just deleted it for simplicity's sake and to enjoy the feeling of stickin' it to the man! :hard:

Edited to add: uh, it appears "Manage add-ons" is the fifth choice from the top in the Tools menu. Now why wasn't that there before?! :(