PDA

View Full Version : Driverless Audi RS 7 will hit 150 mph around Hockenheim

novicius
October 16th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Driverless Audi RS 7 will hit 150 mph around Hockenheim (http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/driverless-audi-rs7-will-pilot-itself-around-hockenheim-on-sunday?src=soc_fcbks)

Ahead of the final race in the DTM season, Audi’s self-driving RS 7 will take to the track carrying plenty of cameras, but no humans inside. Despite the lack of brain-bearing payload, the hot sedan will somehow tackle the circuit “with high precision and accuracy to within centimeters,” at speeds nearing 150 MPH, according to Audi.
First I've heard of it. :D

Ali
October 17th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Sounds like most Audis I've driven! Anodyne, numb things that go quickly without ever feeling like it or exciting in any way! This is the next logical step for them.

thesameguy
October 17th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Mad props for anodyne. Excellent job!

SkylineObsession
October 18th, 2014, 12:20 AM
HAHAHA!! I seriously kid you not, as soon as i started reading this topic i noticed that Media Player (yes, i still use it) had started playing the theme song from Terminator II. :D

Freaky coincidences aside, computers and cars are becoming much too friendly these days. I draw the line at ABS and power steering. After that, who's really controlling the car...

SkylineObsession
October 25th, 2014, 12:26 AM
I terminated this topic it seems. ;)

CudaMan
October 27th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I casually know an engineer working on something like this in the US. As of a year ago or so, it didn't take a particularly hot shoe to beat the self-driven Audi around a race track. The engineer wanted to control steering at each wheel individually, rather than use a typical steering rack, to even the playing field for the machine.

Kchrpm
October 30th, 2014, 04:23 AM
About the same as the AI in a video game, then.