PDA

View Full Version : My Loathe of VPNs

drew
October 20th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I need some help with this one.

There are two us us here, working off of one account (internet). We both have to connect via VPN to get email/etc (standard fare).

That said, If I'm connected, she has trouble connecting if at all.

Our IT said it could be a bandwidth thing with the modem/router (Moto SGB6580).

We've tried hardwired (through a GB switch (no choice) and wireless. Issues with both.

While I hate the thought of going to Comcast and renting one of their modems, I'm not sure what to try. Nothing on the modem is changed from default.

It's only a VPN issue as well. Off VPN, both laptops get 130down and 24 up.

it's only when both are connected to the VPN at the same time, and it's only hers that has the issue.

We're even tried it plugged right into the modem directly.

I can't hardly believe that it can't support two connections. It should be able to handle at least 5 computers.

But, what do I know...

Thoughts?

21Kid
October 20th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Have you tried restarting your computer?

thesameguy
October 20th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I would look at the hardware on your network - sounds like maybe the modem. You should not have that problem. If your modem is also doing NAT (which is pretty common - and your router certainly is), it's possible it is creating a bottleneck and/or running out of resources keeping more than one VPN session up. Back in the day - and I mean like 10 years ago - it was not uncommon for a single consumer-grade device to have a hard time keeping two sessions alive. These days, it should not be a problem.

Out of curiosity, is it the VPN which dies, or the thing that you're doing over the VPN that dies? What exactly are you doing over the VPN? Is one connection more likely to die than the other?

drew
October 20th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Issues include:

Losing connection to Exchange (but VPN is still "connected", my computer))
Not being able to sign onto the VPN, at all (her computer).

IT gave me a "tweaked" VPN script, and I haven't had my issue since.

But now, hers doesn't connect to the VPN, usually in the afternoon.

Fuck if I know.

thesameguy
October 20th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Are you guys both using the same VPN software? What software is it? Or are you just using built-in Windows VPN support?

drew
October 20th, 2014, 04:09 PM
It's the same, some proprietary thing from our company (not theirs, but one they license).

It's a piece of shit, as VPNs go.

We never had this problem until a few weeks ago. It just started.

Nothing has changed, hardware wise.

But, we were at her cousin's last weekend, and didn't have the issue, so that tells me it IS the modem. I wouldn't think a switch would cause problems, would it? They're just an "extender" of sorts.

thesameguy
October 20th, 2014, 05:12 PM
A switch would not, no. It really is probably the modem, especially if your provider does their modems like Comcast does.

drew
October 21st, 2014, 03:17 AM
It's my modem, and it's on their "approved" list.

I guess I could try another modem, but at $60/each, it could add up for troubleshooting.

Last resort being the use of a Comcast modem (which I would then pay rent on)...

drew
October 21st, 2014, 05:17 AM
Guess it might help to list the setup:

Wired (straight to modem): My PC and laptop and printer, cable going to other room to 8-port 10/100 switch
Switch: SD tuner, HTPC, BD/TV (shit that pulls no bandwidth)

Primary Wireless: Mac, tablet, iphone and my phone
Guest Wireless: her laptop (work)

We've tried both wire and wireless, bypassing the switch, it's a VPN connection issue.

I can connect fine on mine, and there's no other connection issues, beyond hers not connecting.

The only things that pull any amount of bandwidth are the three PCs and her Mac.

The HTPC doesn't really do anything all day (it's not downloading anything, etc)

Surely, a modern modem should be able to handle 4-5 connections?

21Kid
October 21st, 2014, 07:27 AM
Why does she have to use the guest wireless?

Can you switch the iStuff, tablet, phone to 'guest' and her work laptop to the 'primary' wireless?

drew
October 21st, 2014, 09:13 AM
That was teh suggestion of IT, due to bandwidth issues. Thinking being, the wireless bandwidth (standard/main) couldn't cope with all the connections (even though most weren't doing shit). The only issue is with the VPN, off the VPN, everything (all gadgets) work fine.

In the end, I think it's just the VPN not liking wireless.

I have a cable running straight from the modem to her laptop, and it's good to go. I then, in testing, removed my hardline and went wireless, which disconnected after about an hour.

So far, both on hardlines seems to be the way to go. but I need to reconfig some of the other shit (mainly the wiring/etc).

Fuck Bill Gates.

thesameguy
October 21st, 2014, 09:40 AM
I think it'd be worth the experiment to throw her on the wired to see if things change.

I think you have a combo modem/router/wifi AP, yeah?

drew
October 21st, 2014, 12:10 PM
We're both wired now, and no problems (so far).

I can do an all-wired setup, it will just require a little re-running of some cables.

There's a few places I'd like to throw her on :)

thesameguy
October 21st, 2014, 01:39 PM
You could always disable the wifi on the combo and get a new/modern AP.

drew
October 21st, 2014, 01:57 PM
I have the facilities to wire up her laptop, so, I think I'll go with that.

The wi-fi would be relegated to her mac, and the phones, which there isn't a lot of traffic with any of them.

The true abusers are the two work laptops, and they seem to be fine for the moment on wires.

if it ain't broke....

I am, however, going to test one other thing tonight, and plug a 5-port switch in the mix at her laptop's end, and see if that causes issues (to test if more bits are needed or not).

Hoping not, but you never know...

thesameguy
October 21st, 2014, 02:51 PM
Switches can cause issues if they are malfunctioning, but even the crappiest switch you can buy today should be able to handle a cable internet connection... back in the day a 50mbit backplane was a consideration, but that shouldn't be an issue anymore. You could have a wiring issue, though, which manifests itself as you plug in the switch. Watch the blinkylights for signs of collisions.

drew
October 21st, 2014, 03:29 PM
:up:

drew
October 22nd, 2014, 05:38 AM
Ok, so, morning testing done (a little anyway).

Plugged straight into the modem (using a 100ft 600mhz/C5E), rock solid, full 125mb (off VPN) and VPN likes it.

However, plugging in the same cable from the modem to the 5-port d-link DGS-2205 switch, off VPN remains same, VPN doesn't connect.

So, what the fuck.

It would appear that the switch and VPN aren't playing nicely.

Thoughts?

I have an 8-port switch (DGS-108) as well (not sure that will make any difference, but I'll give it a shot).

One thing that may be a factor (but likely not), the laptop(s) (both) seem to only connect via 100MB, not the gigabit.

Probably nothing, but it is an observation.

At least it works straight to the modem, I can fuck with it later.

thesameguy
October 22nd, 2014, 02:38 PM
Couple possibilities:

The D-Link is a gigabit switch, and it may be having negotiation problems with the modem. Since it's unmanaged you can't force a port speed, so you're hosed if that's the issue. Get a new switch.
The D-Link switch could have a defective port - although unlikely, it's a possibility. I'd try a different port and see if you get a different result
The cable could be defective or insufficient - eg, the cable might suck and your computer says "I'll do 10mbit" and everything is hunky dory whereas the D-Link says "Weeeee, I'll do gigabit" and everything failed. I'd try a different cable to eliminate that.

Gigabit over copper can be a little testy, so these problems are not entirely uncommon. I got a whole batch of bad D-Link switches to the point I will never use them again, so maybe you've got that going on. Netgear and Linksys both have generally cheap switches available everywhere - maybe worth a go.

21Kid
October 23rd, 2014, 07:51 AM
Upgrade your network with Amazon's deal of the day, today. (http://deals.kinja.com/upgrade-your-network-with-todays-amazon-gold-box-1649508592/+shepmcallister)

Inside, you'll find a host of Netgear routers, switches, powerline adapters, and even security cameras to fit any budget. The star of the show though is the Nighthawk X4 AC2350 router for $230. That's $25 less than the lowest price ever offered for a super-fast router that includes a pair of USB 3.0 ports, and even an eSATA port for data storage.
http://smile.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_10176349011_gbrc_tit_r-1_9182_52916387?rh=i%3Aelectronics%2Cn%3A101763490 11&ie=UTF8&node=10176349011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

thesameguy
October 23rd, 2014, 02:24 PM
Ordered a pair of those Nighthawks for the office! :up:

drew
October 27th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I just bought the X6, fuck it. Seems to be working, so far. Had to put the moto modem into bridge modem but both VPNs seem to be going.

We'll see when I connect the HTPC/switch into the mix though

drew
October 28th, 2014, 07:33 AM
So, maybe that was premature.

Everything worked fine, until an hour ago, now she can't connect to the VPN again.

I'm about to go buy a new modem because I'm out of ideas.

It has to be something on her machine, mine works fine. But she has a reluctance to call IT, who know the VPN in and out, but that's a whole other thing....

Forgive the crude diagram, but this is the setup:

thesameguy
October 28th, 2014, 08:52 AM
When the VPN screws the pooch, can she still surf the net?

mk
October 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Nested routers came to my mind.

drew
October 28th, 2014, 11:50 AM
She can, if she kills the VPN. Off the VPN, it runs fine. I had the same issue with mine a few weeks ago. It'd lose the connection to exchange, and then you couldn't go to any websites, unless you closed it and re-connected via VPN (or just stayed off).

IT gave me a "fine tuned" VPN script and I haven't had the issue since. She's using the same tuned script, and it locks her out.

It's starting to become a major stress contributor.

thesameguy
October 28th, 2014, 01:09 PM
This fine-tuned VPN script is a confusing thing. I can't imagine what they would actually be doing offhand.

How long have you waited post failure to see if functionality returns eventually? The fact that the whole client fails but the actual connection does not is very weird.

This is still only happening when you are both connected, true?

drew
October 28th, 2014, 01:10 PM
On my machine, it would come back randomly. Sometimes in 2-3 minutes, sometimes, never.

Her's seems to drop, and say "FUCK YOU", never to return.

Happens when I'm not connected as well. It's her machine and the router/modem, apparently.

thesameguy
October 28th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Is it possible the VPN software itself is having the issue on her machine? Sometimes when such a thing happens it trashes the actual network layer and leaves you with no connection whatsoever.

drew
October 28th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Who knows. It's been working now (and for a while). We're both on...

thesameguy
October 28th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Carpe diem?

drew
October 28th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Carpe booze.

It seems that once again, we both can't be connected to the VPN. It works, then doesn't....

I'm pretty much beyond giving a fuck.

thesameguy
October 28th, 2014, 09:51 PM
At this point I'd be looking to her computer. If it's happening when you are not connected, then it's coincident that it happens when you are. That her whole network stack crashes supports the notion.

drew
October 29th, 2014, 04:12 AM
Yep, which, is probably beyond my level of "skill", as it's likely something in the VPN software on her machine. She refuses to call IT, so, I'm at a loss.

mk
October 29th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Lease time and primary network were next.

21Kid
October 30th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Make her deal with it if she refuses to call IT. :finger:

drew
October 30th, 2014, 08:17 AM
You have no idea....

It's My fault, because it's MY router/MY modem. But it's HER laptop with the issue. the other 9 devices work flawlessly.

I can't suggest anything anymore, without feeling wrath.

So, I give up.