PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento, or San Andreas?

thesameguy
October 24th, 2014, 01:22 PM
This some actual, crazy, video-game inspired nuttiness.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article3348287.html

KillerB
October 24th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Yikes!

thesameguy
October 25th, 2014, 07:26 AM
To say there were a lot of police on the road yesterday is an understatement.

Crazed_Insanity
October 25th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Shooters nowadays are now getting increasingly difficult to understand. This one doesn't even bother to shoot himself...

Godson
October 25th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Very sad.

Drachen596
October 25th, 2014, 11:50 PM
turns out that shooter had been deported twice from the US.

secure borders that we have right?

G'day Mate
October 26th, 2014, 01:33 AM
You guys have got to do something about those big guns. I just had a quick look online and it looks like you can get semi-automatic assault rifles with large magazines for just a couple of hundred bucks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62ytib-XCeY

(language)

Godson
October 26th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I am not trying to start a gun debate, just bringing to light some information regarding laws, etc.

You guys have got to do something about those big guns. I just had a quick look online and it looks like you can get semi-automatic assault rifles with large magazines for just a couple of hundred bucks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62ytib-XCeY

(language)

Not in CA. There is a legal limit on the magazine capacity of 10 rounds.

Are large-capacity magazines legal?
Generally, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine (able to accept more than 10 rounds) in California. However, continued possession of large-capacity magazines that you owned in California prior to January 1, 2000, is legal provided you are not otherwise prohibited. A person prohibited from possessing firearms is also prohibited from owning or possessing any magazines or ammunition.

(Pen. Code, §§16150, subd. (b), 30305, 32310.)

Like we have discussed previously. A New York reload or another magazine doesn't take a lot of time.

Q: Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition?
Yes, a person who —
-Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
-Is a fugitive from justice;
-Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
-Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
-Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
-Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
-Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
-Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or
-Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
-Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.
-A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.
--Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.
[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n), 27 CFR 478.32]

Bolded the area of importance. Someone didn't do their due diligence and ultimately caused 2 people their lives.

Crazed_Insanity
October 26th, 2014, 10:39 AM
At times like this you wish it's one of those trigger happy bad cops that end up facing off with this bad guy!

Feel so bad for the wives and the kids those cops left behind... :(

thesameguy
October 26th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Simple fact is that a nutjob who wants to do harm is going to do harm. If he didn't have guns, it could have been a 5 ton bread van or a 5 ton bread van filled with fertilizer or a million other ways of doing harm. I am reluctantly in favor of gun control but my reasons are primarily accident-related - kids finding guns, etc. I don't have any delusions that making guns illegal will prevent people who want to do harm from doing harm, with guns obtained illegally or via alternative methods.

I think the crazy thing is that this guy was deported twice... I am not surprised that he was able to sneak back into the country (it's just not that hard when you have a ginormous border) but twice? After he snuck back in once he should have been locked up or worse. Knowing some asshole wants to be in your house and knowing that you're largely powerless to stop him from getting in means extraordinary measures need to be taken - that's my $0.02.

I will admit that I am not the biggest fan of law enforcement in this area, but after I learned what happened and continued to see cruisers racing all over the area I felt nothing but incredible sorrow for all of them. I was driving the Suburban and had a good view into a lot of cop cars - in many faces I could see the stress, fear, and anger as they tried to push through traffic. There was a female sheriff trying to get across a busy intersection where I was stopped with a look you just don't see too often on the street - almost confused anxiety.

I can't even imagine being in the scenario of trying to find a violent psychopath in such a large area, knowing full well he has no compunction whatsoever. Truly terrible. There is no punishment severe enough for what he did. None.

Jason
October 27th, 2014, 03:12 AM
It's not really about the gun laws... we can implement however many we want at this point, and it wouldn't change much. Gun availability is just ridiculously easy, plus, our culture very much worships guns.

Until we change the availability and culture here, gun laws are kinda moot. I say this as a person who is generally anti gun.

Crazed_Insanity
October 27th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Agreed, I really think this particular person could do the same kind of damage anywhere on the planet. Nothing to do with how strict or relaxed about US gun laws. Even by having a law that end up banning all guns, it'd be impossible to put all the guns back into the Pandora's box. We'll just have to learn to deal with our gun culture. US cops will also continue to be perceived as assholes sometimes and have accidental shootings because they're afraid of encountering suspect like this guy...