PDA

View Full Version : I fried my iPod ...

G'day Mate
October 30th, 2014, 12:08 AM
... and it turns out Apple discontinued the 160GB Classic model a month ago!

I love my iPod! It's portable of course and I've got a dock for it in the house and an FM transmitter for the car and it's simple to use and holds all my music - it's exactly what I want and they don't make it any more.

:(

Still, I'm sure I'll be able to get my hands on one somewhere.

Oh, and I think I nearly burnt the house down in the process of killing it too

Rikadyn
October 30th, 2014, 12:31 AM
Oh, and I think I nearly burnt the house down in the process of killing it too

Story. Did you literally fry it? like drop it into a vat of hot oil after dipping it in breadcrumbs?

neanderthal
October 30th, 2014, 12:54 AM
Ebay.
Or Amazon.

Sorry about your iPod.

G'day Mate
October 30th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Story. Did you literally fry it? like drop it into a vat of hot oil after dipping it in breadcrumbs?

Nah, just water. Got it wet, put it in the dock, went to get take-away, got home ... what's that noise? Holy crap that's fucking hot!!!

Neanderthal - on eBay they're selling for about three times the retail price. Fuck that!

Rikadyn
October 30th, 2014, 01:44 AM
give it time for the premium of them to come down, the quit production announcememnt is still fresh so people are going to be chasing them, it'll come back to reality in a bit.

G'day Mate
October 30th, 2014, 01:50 AM
Yeah, hopefully. In the meantime I'm doing a good old fashioned ring-around to all the obscure stores I can think of

Yw-slayer
October 30th, 2014, 02:30 AM
I've never liked them (duh). The only reason I have one is because it's compatible with the units in my cars, and it's the only thing that can handle my 130+GB MP3 collection.

Having said that, Spotify means that I usually only listen to my own MP3 only once every 2-3 months. I never really listened to my FLAC files anyway.

Drachen596
October 30th, 2014, 04:10 AM
fwiw.. walmart here had zunes nearly a year after they were discontinued. not sure they'd be able to keep an Apple product in stock like that though.

George
October 30th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Thread title fail.

Missed opportunity:

iFried my iPod

Yw-slayer
October 30th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I still have 2 Zunes.

thesameguy
October 30th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I am a little baffled at the notion of a dedicated music device.

Kchrpm
October 30th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Didn't you buy an RV just to go to a festival? Sometimes you just want a specific tool for a specific job. ;)

thesameguy
October 30th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I bought an RV because I always wanted an RV, and Burning Man was the impetus. I still have the RV and we've used it for camping. Believe me, if I could shit and take a shower in the Fiero that would have been way more fun and an RV would be redundant. In the same way that having a device that only plays music is redundant when you have a phone which plays music. ;) I didn't have any other vehicles with plumbing. ;)

Kchrpm
October 30th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Yeah, but if you want one that holds 100+GB of music, there isn't a phone that does that.

G'day Mate
October 30th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I am a little baffled at the notion of a dedicated music device.

It worked for me. I just plugged my iPod in wherever I want to listen to music and then I could continue to use my phone for other things. I'd often have it on in the bathroom while I was getting ready to go somewhere, then un-plug it and hook it up to the car for the trip itself.

Also, storage capacity.

thesameguy
October 30th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Yeah, but if you want one that holds 100+GB of music, there isn't a phone that does that.

The iPhone 6 certainly does 128gb, and I'm pretty sure a Galaxy will do 128gb as well (64gb onboard + 64gb microSD). I guess if your music collection happens to be between 128gb and 160gb and you need it all in one place the iPod would be the solution, but if it's less than 128gb or greater than 160 and you'd need to be selective anyhow, then....

Edit: And I still think a NAS or a wi-drive or something else would be the superior solution. :)

Just my $0.02.

G'day Mate
October 30th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Yeah, but I don't want to have to spend a grand on a new phone when I have one that works and can get an iPod for a quarter of that. I also like being able to dock the iPod and play play music decently loud through decent speakers while still using my phone for other things.

Drachen596
October 30th, 2014, 05:17 PM
i dont use my phone for music really. i have about 1 or 2 cds worth of music on it and thats it. otherwise its pandora for music with it.

mp3 players are my 8gb and 120gb Zunes. the big one isn't even full, it may not even be half full actually..

G'day Mate
October 30th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Just went to the Apple store and there's a glimmer of hope. Although they're not selling them they still have plenty in stock so they might be able to repair or replace mine. It's not under warranty so it might cost a bit (hopefully not too much) but at least they've got them aside for people like me.

thesameguy
October 30th, 2014, 05:41 PM
I hate Apple, but I cannot deny the sheer awesomeness of bringing failed stuff into their store and having them repaired or replaced. That is one positively fantastic byproduct of the Apple Tax.

Kchrpm
October 30th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Didn't know they had a 128 Gb iPhone :up:

Network storage is one of those great in theory, annoying in reality things in my media streaming experience. Maybe if I paid the Apple Tax, but DLNA has been a shit show, and almost no other protocol is even attempted let alone successfully implemented on the stuff I've had. Files aren't visible, or won't play, or start but then stop, and all that activity makes my router pass out.

thesameguy
October 30th, 2014, 09:00 PM
DLNA is, indeed, terrible. So bad that despite it's ancientness and extensibility everyone continues to work around it. :down:

G'day Mate
November 5th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Update time!

I went to see one of the self-described geniuses on Tuesday and he said that because it was a "vintage" iPod (more than 5 years old) there was nothing they could do other than recycle it. He was helpful though and said that if I went through AppleCare I might be able to get something. So I called AppleCare and they gave me a list of approved repairers, so I called a few of them and the third one seemed to think about it and said "bring it in, we'll see what we can do". That was yesterday; today I just got a call to say "good news". I have to pay for a replacement, but it's only about half the price of what the new ones were anyway and I that I do not mind at all.

Jason
November 5th, 2014, 04:32 PM
US stores, but still:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/650130?gclid=Cj0KEQiAsueiBRCT8YOM4PDElsYBEiQAaiI4I F2kYlBo6MximeCWBQ1Dfpo6ivIbnaS-nov1kqgVhjMaAttH8P8HAQ

http://www.gamestop.com/ipod/mp3/ipod-classicr-gen-7-160gb-black/98307?cid=fds_10000001&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=908665&gclid=Cj0KEQiAsueiBRCT8YOM4PDElsYBEiQAaiI4IEI0hmb1 mVBsARQtMRRxdYpZCvr3ytI1CfpZpA_oSAcaApwE8P8HAQ

Edit: just saw your update, whoops. >.>

G'day Mate
November 6th, 2014, 08:03 PM
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/insaneogram81/7-11-20143-31-51PM.jpg

George
November 12th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Yay for happy ending!

Hey, I have a question for your iPod nerds that would probably have been better asked several years ago than now, but that's how I roll.

Does this product exist? I know they used to but perhaps with bluetooth being all the rage, these are extinct now?

I want a small, portable, USB-rechargeable, powered speaker that can plug into the headphone jack of an mp3 player - not the proprietary Apple iPod rectangular thing, but just the 1/8" headphone jack of an "off-brand" mp3 player. This would be for listening to audiobooks in the car, so mono is fine and it doesn't need to be high fidelity, although somewhat better than "tinny" would be nice. The 15-year-old factory CD player in my car has started skip skip skip skip skip skipping skipping skipping skipping every time I hit the tiniest bump in the road and I'm thinking a little doohickey like I'm imaging would cost about $20 and be available in brick-and-mortar stores so I don't need to mail-order it from the other side of the world and wait an eternity for it.

Thanks for any suggestions. I could google, but where's the fun in that?

Random
November 12th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Short answer: yes, they exist.

Longer answer: there's about a million of them. Pick a price number you're comfortable with and head to Best Buy/Amazon, wherever.

George
November 12th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Really? Great. Thanks. I avoid all stores as much as possible but BB is at the top of my "do not visit" list, mostly due to the incredibly heavy traffic in the area and their "you can enter easily but cannot exit without a 20-minute wait" parking lot.

Kchrpm
November 12th, 2014, 11:44 AM
You can find speakers like that at almost any general store nowadays. I've seen them in grocery stores, drug stores and large gas stations.

George
November 12th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I had no idea. Thank you.

Random
November 12th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Here's one that looks like a tiny guitar amp:

http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-IVAMPAUXB-Portable-Amplifier-Batteries/dp/B00GR3FMXE/

:cool:

edit: here's one from an actual maker of speakers. Might be able to find this one at Guitar Center or a local shop.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/jbl-micro-ii-ultraportable-multimedia-speaker

Kchrpm
November 12th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I have been trying to find one for a while, I have unrealistic demands.

That statement is true for me with so many things.

G'day Mate
November 12th, 2014, 04:28 PM
That guitar amp is pretty sweet. I wonder how it sounds ...

thesameguy
November 12th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I had no idea. Thank you.

But, seriously, just replace the head unit in your car. it will sound better, cost no more, and prevent you from having a thing in your car that will fly around and bean you in the head in an accident.