PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide between the Note 4 and Note Edge

Sad, little man
November 9th, 2014, 02:09 PM
The time has come to replace my ancient original Galaxy Note. (I just want to take this opportunity to point out that I bought it the day they came out in Feb. 2012, and was therefore way ahead of the trend of large screen phones compared to everyone else.)

I'm having a tough time deciding between the Note 4 and the Note Edge. I took a look at both of them at the store on Friday. I would definitely go for the Edge, but I realized that the main, usable portion of the screen is narrower and shorter on the Edge compared to the Note 4. I don't really feel like giving up usable screen size just for a cool looking display that really doesn't add that much functionality. Then again, it is a really freaking cool looking display. :|

thesameguy
November 9th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Talk to me when you had the first Dell Streak in '10, kthx.

MR2 Fan
November 9th, 2014, 07:43 PM
IMO the note edge is gimmicky and doesn't seem to add anything useful.

I have a Note 2, but looking seriously at the new Droid Turbo (Verizon only), since I never actually use the stylus on my phone anyway.

Kchrpm
November 9th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Talk to me when you had a 5.1" Compaq C120 in 1999, a 6.5" HP Jornada 720 in 2003 and a 5" HTC Advantage in 2008.

Mr Wonder
November 9th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Talk to me when you had the first Dell Streak in '10, kthx.
Word.

Dell fucked that up so badly. How it isn't on some kind of top technology missed opportunities list I'll never know.

Yw-slayer
November 9th, 2014, 10:10 PM
I used an HP 95LX in the 90s. I win.

Sad, little man
November 28th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Well, I ordered an Edge. I know the edge screen is a big gimmick, and I don't care. It's just so cool looking. :|

Anyway, now when in a few years we're all using phones with non-flat screens, just remember that I had the first phone with one. :D

(Yes, I know they've made a few phones with mildly curved screens, but nothing as pronounced as the edge before.)

Freude am Fahren
November 29th, 2014, 07:37 AM
A coworker of mine got the Edge, and he loves it. I'm up for an upgrade, but am waiting a bit. My Note 2 is serving me well when the battery isn't being weird. I think I'm going to go Note 4 unless I can hold out for the S6.

JoshInKC
November 29th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I upgraded to a Note 4 on monday, its pretty great so far.

Sad, little man
December 2nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Well, I got the Edge. I like it, if for no other reason than the fact that it feels different from my original Note, and I'm not sure the Note 4 would have felt that way. The night clock feature is kind of cool, and it's one of the few things the Edge does that you simply couldn't get from a normal phone.

Basically, you set the feature to go on and off at a certain time, and within that time span, just the edge of the phone glows very dimly with the time, current weather, and alarm set time. It's a nice touch because with the curved screen you can still see it when the phone is laying flat on a night stand next to the bed. :up:

Also, this is the first day I have owned it, and it has already figured out where I live, where I work, and about what time I usually leave work. I'm terrified yet impressed. Oh, and it also told me I should go for a walk since I was sitting for too long in a meeting.

Kchrpm
December 3rd, 2014, 07:30 AM
The home/work location and schedule are synced to your account, it will know that based on your movement with previous phone.

21Kid
December 3rd, 2014, 08:11 AM
I don't like that it has to use GPS for home/work location. :( I wish it could use wifi. Connected to "home network" = home. Connected to "work network" = work.

Random
December 3rd, 2014, 08:12 AM
Doesn't Android 5 do that?

Kchrpm
December 3rd, 2014, 08:49 AM
You're probably referring to Trusted Locations, that's a different thing. You tell it what WiFi networks to consider "safe", so that whenever you're connected to them, you can bypass the lock screen.

The home/work thing is something Google does to give you a commute card. Once you're getting close to the time you usually leave home for work, or vice versa, it pops up a card on Google Now with an estimated commute time.

You could have that work with just their WiFi location data, and the user manually adding location data for new/changed WiFi networks, but I'm sure they'd just rather use the generic location data that they pull from the phone.

Random
December 3rd, 2014, 09:09 AM
:up: