PDA

View Full Version : 1st S2000 failure...

Crazed_Insanity
November 13th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Yeah, clutch master cylinder leaked fluid... initially I thought perhaps my clutch is running out, but then it became harder and harder to engage the clutch and shift...

Anyway, probably my own fault because I don't think I've ever replaced the fluid for the past 12 years! I did change brake fluid per instructions of the service manual, but I think the manual neglected to mentioned clutch fluid change... I guess I'll be doing that every 3 years along with the brake fluid.

My only other stick vehicle was a 1990 civic and that had a mechanical linked clutch which required no servicing other than periodic adjustments. I do know S2000 has a hydraulic clutch... stupid of me to completely overlooked it...

On the bright side, I've seen other S2000s experiencing similar problems at much lower mileage. So I guess I've been lucky.

For those of you who have hydraulic clutches, how often do you change your fluids? Same interval as the brake fluid is probably a good idea, right? Or perhaps too often because it doesn't get as hot as brakes?

thesameguy
November 13th, 2014, 11:24 AM
On a street car, the reason to change brake fluid is because it absorbs moisture and becomes less effective and can ruin brake system components. Under anything approaching normal circumstances heat doesn't have anything to do with it. As such, you should be changing all brake fluid every two or three years at the most.

Crazed_Insanity
November 13th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I had been faithfully changing the brake fluid and all other fluids per the service manual's recommendations. Should've known clutch fluid needs to be changed regularly too... after a costly mistake, now I know. :p

thesameguy
November 13th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I'd say it's reasonably unlikely the lack of fluid changes actually killed your clutch master. It's hydraulic, it will fail of old age no matter what you do. 12 years is a good run.

Crazed_Insanity
November 13th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Really? Had I been changing the fluid regularly it should last longer, right?

Brake master cylinder survived 12 years... why wouldn't the clutch master cylinder survive?

Anyway, so it is your opinion that I shouldn't consider this a 'failure', but an 'unexpected' regular maintenance? ;)

thesameguy
November 13th, 2014, 04:00 PM
The clutch and brake master are built differently and do different jobs. There is no reason to expect they would have a similar lifespan. 12 years is a solid effort - I'd consider that very normal.

TheBenior
November 13th, 2014, 05:55 PM
IIRC, the clutch master cylinder in my Miata lasted 12 or 13 years.

Yw-slayer
November 13th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Almost everything will fail after some time, particularly if it's been used. Even stuff in Japanese cars. ;)

Crazed_Insanity
November 14th, 2014, 08:46 AM
IIRC, the clutch master cylinder in my Miata lasted 12 or 13 years.

Did you regularly change its fluid?

Crazed_Insanity
November 14th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Almost everything will fail after some time, particularly if it's been used. Even stuff in Japanese cars. ;)

That's unacceptable! I expect Japanese cars to last! :mad:

TheBenior
November 14th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Did you regularly change its fluid?
I did once, but it was 10 years old when I bought it, so I'm guessing the previous owner didn't.