PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 drive tray won't open.

Cam
January 12th, 2014, 01:01 PM
My Xbox's drive tray will not open. Thankfully, there's no game in there. I've had this issue for years, but turning the machine on its side or upright usually alleviated the problem. Now, it won't open at all despite repeated attempts. Subsequently, I can only play games of which I have digital copies. Suggestion about what I can do here?

George
January 12th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious. It wouldn't be the first time.

A long time ago, Macs and maybe PCs too came with a tiny hole near the floppy drive. You could straighten out a paper clip and gently insert it into the hole as a manual "eject" button to get your disc out of the drive.

I just remembered we have an Xbox 360 (I've yet to play it) and just went and studied the front panel.

Nevermind...

Fiat500
January 12th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Microsoft recommends the straightened paper clip:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system/manually-eject-disc

Our old Xbox (1, not ONE) had this thing, and I found the best trick was to gently push against the tray as it tried to open. This made it somehow "catch", or however you would explain it. :)

Rare White Ape
January 12th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Submerge the console in water. Fixes all problems permanently.

thesameguy
January 13th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Microsoft recommends the straightened paper clip:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system/manually-eject-disc

Yep, this!

And you can always just leave the paperclip by the console and make it your eject button. ;) Just be sure the console is off before you do it or you can severely damage the mechanism!

Tom Servo
January 13th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Like they mentioned, if you take off the faceplate there is a place where you can push a paperclip in to force the eject. I'm having a similar issue too, it struggles to open sometimes. I wonder how hard it is to just swap it out for another DVDROM drive.

thesameguy
January 13th, 2014, 09:59 AM
It is hard. You have to remarry the drive to the xbox. These days, it's probably easier & cheaper to just buy a used x360.

novicius
January 13th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Sincerely hoping I don't have to do this anytime soon.

Cam
January 15th, 2014, 12:04 PM
OK, I must have a freak console or something. I removed the face plate to access the paper-clip hole. Alas, there's a solid piece of metal blocking the paper-clip from going in more than a few millimetres. I also examined the top of the console and tried the paper-clip in a few places there with no success. I had a good look with a flashlight and tried the paper-clip in every hole and crevasse. There appears to be no way of getting the tray open that I can deduce. Looks like I'll have to open the thing up if I can.

Godson
January 22nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
I had a similar issue with mine when I bought rocksmith. There is a rubber band that actually connects the motor to the tray. Search for it in YouTube and you'll find several on how to fix it.

Cam
January 22nd, 2014, 09:49 AM
Finally got the thing to work by taking the plastic case off so I could get a better look at the disc drive. Saw some gears and moved them with a paper clip. The tray didn't move by doing that, so I wiggled the drive around with vigor. I plugged it back in, powered it up and it ejected normally. :rolleyes:

Godson
January 22nd, 2014, 12:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D64M3FAq-Ww

I'd recommend going that route before too long. I only cleaned the rubber band on mine with a towel and it works flawless now.

Cam
January 26th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Tray won't open again. :(

Godson
January 26th, 2014, 08:22 PM
did you try cleaning the rubber band that drives the disk drive?

Cam
May 2nd, 2014, 01:25 PM
I pretty much tried everything with no success. I broke down and bought a new 360 today so I can play the games I have on disc. Good news is, we'll have two Xboxes. :rawk: