PDA

View Full Version : Along the lines of "yea or nay", but not nearly as exotic....

drew
November 18th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Apparently silly season has started.

Last night I got an out-of-the-blue text from the VP of the old company I worked for (last job), asking for my resume.

I sent it to him this morning, not really even knowing what the potential position is/was. I got two phone calls this afternoon, from two PMs (Jacksonville/Orlando), one of which I worked with in Chicago.

Turns out it's a position very similar to mine what I've now got 3+ years experience with in this industry.

The current project I'm on isn't dried up, yet. But it is winding down. My girlfriend and I are 2 of the 4 left (out of 12 a year ago), and the field office personnel are dropping off every week. But, our position is a little different than the field's, as we're tasked with customer interface, and direct finance actions, and there's a n absolute shitton of cleanup effort to be done, even after the build is done (which is sitting at about 97% project wide).

Both of our contracts have been extended til the end of Q2 2015, but that's no guarantee we'll last that long.

I absolutely love what I do, and how I'm able to do it. So the potential "new" gig isn't anything new at all, it's in my wheelhouse that I kick ass with (not bragging, just stating the truth), everybody I've worked with knows this, which is probably why I got the call (especially when I was referred to by the VP, must have done something right anyway).

So, to the pros/cons of the new:

Pros:
1. if I get what I asked for ($), it'd be $10k more than I'm making now (as a relative example, my monthly income is twice what my monthly expenses are (sans food/booze/golf (maybe it breaks even then...)), so that's a plus.
2. While it'd be an office/commute, it's less than 15 miles, and if timed right, all highway and 15 minutes ("traffic" here can still be somewhat "herpes outbreak" annoying, but is in no way "dry baseball bat sodomy" traffic of Chicago.
3. It'd be working with a few familiar peeps again (the ones I actually liked and got along with, as opposed to the other 98% which were complete fucktards)

Cons:
1. It's a fucking office. I'd have to commute again.
2. It's a fucking office with people. I am 100 times more efficient at home, without the distractions of other fucking people talking about stupid fucking shit I couldn't give half a fuck about.
3. It's a fucking office.

Maybe I've been spoiled with the virtual/remote thing (rhetorical), it's nice working in your underwear (especially when your co-worker works in hers too).

While I would definitely like the pay increase, I'm still not sure about the "wake up, clean up, drive" thing again. 3 years of the exact opposite is a hell of a thing to give up, and if that's worthwhile compensation. Prelim chats with the new folks is that this could probably be a year's worth or stuff. It's not firm, nor is the remaining 7 months here. Nothing is "guaranteed". I don't think I'd be able to negotiate a "3 days in office - 2 home" thing. This company is psychotically obsessed with bodies in seats, when it's a proven fact working from home is infinitely more efficient.

I'm going to be talking to a few folks next week with my company, maybe there's some other project/longevity opportunity.

Cam
November 18th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Nay. Hold out for better option?

drew
November 18th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Like I said, I've got a few folks to talk to next week and what I'm doing now isn't in any immediate doom (realistically shouldn't start to sweat for another 3-4 months).

This "old" company thing may not have a very big window of opportunity. Even if they give me the $10k+, I'm not sure it's what/where I'd want to be...

Decisions decisions...

Fogelhund
November 18th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I think I would wait and see what comes out of the discussions next week, and what further things you can leverage out of the "new offer". To me the biggest thing is the limited shelf life of the existing gig. How long with this new gig likely last? How easy is it to find employment for you, if the existing gig runs out?

Do the new offer people know the limited shelf life of your existing gig? Especially if No, I would tell them what you like about your existing gig, what makes it special, including the work from home portion.

drew
November 18th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Having worked for this company before, they're are 100% anti-remote. Meaning, no amount of talking with them will turn into working from home. The only possible angle there would be with that, would be if the office was in Orlando, which I absolutely would not be moving to (since we'd both have to move, and neither want to), nor driving 120mi one way each day. Which is just stupid. If they gave me 50% above what I was being paid now, I still wouldn't.

At present, that's the deal-breaker. But I have no reservations that working remote isn't a guarantee, with any situation.

Lots to think about, in any case.

21Kid
November 18th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Do you like working in an office?

KillerB
November 18th, 2014, 04:44 PM
"Butts in seats" kinds of companies don't agree with me, so I'd say nay.

IMOA
November 18th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Having worked for this company before, they're are 100% anti-remote. Meaning, no amount of talking with them will turn into working from home. The only possible angle there would be with that, would be if the office was in Orlando, which I absolutely would not be moving to (since we'd both have to move, and neither want to), nor driving 120mi one way each day. Which is just stupid. If they gave me 50% above what I was being paid now, I still wouldn't.

At present, that's the deal-breaker. But I have no reservations that working remote isn't a guarantee, with any situation.

Lots to think about, in any case.

Just tell them what you want and don't assume what their response will be, you'll never get what you want if you don't clearly tell them. If they agree then all good and if they don't just walk away.

Alan P
November 18th, 2014, 05:53 PM
As they say over here, shy bairns get nowt. Tell them what you want. With precisely zero commute costs at the moment some of that increase in pay will be swallowed up straight away and then you need to add the time onto that as well.

Not sure I'd get much work done if my current was working beside me in just underwear though!

drew
November 19th, 2014, 04:44 AM
It's hard at times.

GB
November 19th, 2014, 05:08 AM
Ba-dum pum.

George
November 19th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Well played.

Alan P
November 19th, 2014, 06:29 AM
I'm sure it is!

21Kid
November 19th, 2014, 07:28 AM
:smh:

You're losing your edge, Drew...

drew
November 19th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Yeah yeah. A hand in your pants while on a conference call makes things fun though.

novicius
November 19th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Do you like working in an office?
:lol: :up:

21Kid
November 19th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Yeah yeah. A hand in your pants while on a conference call makes things fun though.

In YOUR pants??? :erm:

Oh, not Your hand. :D I see. :lol:

Godson
November 19th, 2014, 06:05 PM
:lol:

drew
November 20th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I love you guys.

21Kid
November 21st, 2014, 10:08 AM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/22/22b933b11f8c0890c6e8a1efed1046fe3f99a3aa188dd315d8 9cbaeb74b5ae7b.jpg