Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux (Ubuntu, etc)

cnet specs for DC5800 has PS/2 keyboard.

PS/ or USB keyboard now?

BIOS update available?

Administrator
    I had some similar issues when I had power settings set to put the computer to sleep/hibernate when not being used, then being basically unable to wake up from that state. Admittedly, I've also had the same issue with Windows, those sleep states have always been really dodgy in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    command-line mode is mostly a mystery to them, I think.
    If you're speaking of my son and me, you are correct. Plug & play for us, please! (at least at this stage of our Linux education)

I am grateful for all the tips and tricks and links here. Thanks to SW and mk and TS.

Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post
    So if you dont want Linux and want to keep your stuff legal you need to find an old Windows license.
    (embedded ARM something may also be possible)
    If you or anyone wants them, I have a Windows 95 CD and a Windows XP CD that are original and undamaged (as far as I know).

Two thoughts:

Some old computers inexplicably have "wake by USB" disabled in the BIOS, so when the system sleeps it won't wake up via USB peripherals. I'd check that.

Also, generally speaking you should be able to wake the computer by pressing the power button once. Don't hold it.

In both cases, be patient. Old computers can take some time to wake up.

...just like old people! Thanks for the advice.

And it occurs to me that the Ubuntu machine has serial ports for the keyboard and mouse, but we have USB peripherals attached currently. I know we have a few serial cable mice in the back room at work (where I got the old PC from). I'll have to take one home and try it.

More foolishness, if anyone cares:

My son loves to explore and try things and, like most kids, an adult telling him something won't work only encourages him to try harder.

Over the weekend, we (but almost entirely he) installed Ubuntu Studio on our new/old computer and set it up as a dual boot setup between plain old Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio. Wow, Ubuntu Studio is a nice-looking OS. I haven't tried any of the included open-source audio and video programs, and I doubt that old machine has enough RAM to do much, but I'm glad to see him teaching himself about computers.

Now, let's go back in time to 1998. I was an outside sales rep for an equipment manufacturer. The company required us to purchase Dell Latitude laptops running Windows98 with CD-ROM drives so we could demo equipment by setting the laptop up on a prospect's desk or in a conference room and have people watch videos of the machines we sold. The cost per employee was three grand! There was a payroll/commission deduction program so we didn't have to cough up the money up front, but that still seemed like an incredible extravagance to me. But, I had just taken the job and dreams of making big money (as all sales jobs promise) loomed large in my mind. I had to carry a pager for that job too, just as an historical footnote.

Naturally, the job didn't last, but the computer sure did. It was our home computer for years and years. I used to visit Kenji's original GT forums on it. When we moved to Colorado in 2004, it was still working fine. Somewhere along the way, we bought a new Dell desktop machine and used the old laptop less and less - smaller monitor, slower machine, etc. One day I tried to boot it and found the screen was dead, even though I could hear the usual whirring of the machine turning on and the lights coming on the keyboard. A quick search of laptop screen replacement or repair scared me away from spending money on what was then a very old laptop. It ended up in a pile of old cords and cables and whatnot in a box in the basement for several years...for at least the nine years we've had kids, and probably more.

Guess what my son found recently? Yup, that old laptop. The monitor still doesn't work, but we have a couple extra monitors around the house...or HAD a couple, since now they're both in use. The larger/better one is on the dual-boot Ubuntu machine, and an old, square 17" Dell monitor that I should have dumped years ago is now attached to the 1998 laptop which still boots right up after years of sitting still. I was surprised the hard drive wasn't seized up like an old, dry engine. Good thing I kept the power supply for it, too.

I don't know how long I'll keep it around, but when I get a few free minutes, I need to see if I can get that old laptop online and post a screenshot of how this forum looks on a Win98 browser.

Enjoy your viruses!

Conceptually, it would be nice if you could run both ordinary Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio simultaneously so you could switch between them, wouldn't it?

Only tangentially related, but I might as well edit this in as double-post...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SportWagon; November 8th, 2017 at 02:51 PM.

I suppose that would be nice, but after spending a little time in Ubuntu Studio, I prefer it.

And, it does wake from sleep mode in Studio, I've learned. Must be an OS thing, I guess.

As before when I was running Ubuntu regularly, I'm finding myself wanting to see how it performs on a new computer instead of old ones. One of these days, I will.

Screenshot_2017-11-11_15-32-53.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    And, it does wake from sleep mode in Studio, I've learned. Must be an OS thing, I guess.
    Can't be, must be just very tired.

For licence,
    it's a serial number, database marking or something like that but not an installation media.

Studio uses a different line of kernels, so it could be that Ubuntu Studio knows how to get woken up even though Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't.