Thread: iOS

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

Guess I know what to do with old PC hardware... build nntp servers!

That's a pretty good bug, but in some ways not a huge shock. That the unit is bricked is bad.
    Shouldn't be too hard to fix, somewhere early in the boot code just check if the date stamp is 0 and put in 2015.
    Doesn't help units already bricked!

Time to go "experiment" with all the units at the Apple Store. #itjustworks Lol

Junior Potato
    Couldn’t find an iPhone thread so might as well dredge up this one

I now own a 13 Pro, to replace my 11 Pro.

It’s “the same size” as the 11, but having square edges allows about 2 mm of extra screen real estate, which means the keyboard is bigger and my muscle memory for typing on it causes me to make more spelling mistakes

And the camera bump is fucking huge. On the old ones you could flatten out the back by putting on a protective case, but the bump is so huge that most of the cases I have seen have a ridge to accommodate the camera bump. This will make phone use annoying when placed in a flat surface. I think it’s pointless to go for thinness if this is a compromise that emerges.

The notch is way smaller because they moved the speaker up into the perimeter, but they still don’t show battery percentage up there. And no USB-C on the bottom should be a criminal offence these days.

The above points are simple quality of life things after 1 day of ownership. Good things?

The changeover process was easy. Basically you are prompted to keep your new phone within a few inches of the old one and it transfers unique content via Bluetooth. Other items like apps are downloaded in the background, however I left it overnight and found the download process was paused, so had to babysit the rest of them.

The stereo audio when playing a video in landscape mode is really awesome. Really nice wide sound scape. Understandably thin on low frequencies though.

120 Hz screen is smooooth when scrolling and navigating. Plus it supports proper HDR while recording video and watching on YouTube now, so hopefully that helps drive adoption of it.

Photos as always are great, but its edge detection of high contrast objects still applies an excessive sharpening effect, for example black text on paper has a weird glowy halo around it. Even the white fur of my fluffy cat exhibits this problem. Normal stuff that isn't high contrast looks fabulous though.

In summary, yeah it’s ok. I think the rate of progress in these things has slowed down a lot in the last five years so the need to get a new phone RIGHT NOW is less than it once was. I might wait three years before the next one, who knows?
    Last edited by Rare White Ape; October 20th, 2021 at 01:54 PM.

Junior Potato
    I haven’t used it much at all yet, but apple was quite proud of the new cinematic camera mode, where it allows you to set the focus between two parts of a scene and switch between the two, even after the footage has been shot. In reality both elements of the scene are in focus at all times and the phone generates a fake bokeh effect to make it look cinematic. This is similar to portrait mode.

Compared to using regular video mode and manually focussing, all it does is reduce the delay between focus pulls, and adds an ugly halo around where the bokeh cuts off. I prefer regular video mode at 24 FPS. Anyone seriously using cinematic mode to make films would already either have a good grasp on iPhone use in film production (with some high-end apps) or use proper equipment dedicated to the task.

I conclude that cinematic mode is a pointless gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I conclude that cinematic mode is a pointless gimmick.
    That they use to advertise the product!!

Just compared the 13 pro to my iPhone 8. Oh man mine is getting out of date. Still works and does what I want. Never watch videos on it, use iPad or cast to a TV. 5G would be good - must find out if its available here (Im a bit outside of nowheresville). I think the only reason we have a tower is to cover the main road to the ski resorts. Otherwise its us and a bunch of cattle farmers.