Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Linux (Ubuntu, etc)

I spoke too soon. On Saturday I had the Studio OS running and came back into the room a few times and it woke from sleep right away after short periods of time - less than an hour each time, I'd guess.

Then I was out for a few hours and when I came home, it wouldn't wake up using the mouse and keyboard.

Oh, well. It's still fun to fool around with.

Check the BIOS for devices that can wake the computer from sleep - make sure USB is one of them. Seriously.

+1

Will do. I assume that's found in the F12 boot menu. If not, I'll google it.

FWIW, I found a USB to serial port adapter in a pile of computer cables and plugged a USB mouse into a serial port that way. I only tried one of the serial ports and it did not wake the computer when moved and clicked.

Boot menu is different.

When you finally get there add some boot delay so you can actually read those instructions next time.
    (stupid feature)

Assuming PS/2 ports.
    Those ports are usually color coded and not nesessary universal.
    Hot swapping is also unknown, to be sure connect the device before power.
    USB mouse and keyboard are not nesessary PS/2 compatible.

Dang, messed one of my lubuntu boxes.
    The one with RAID, that is offline.
    And other data area, that is part of a system disk.

Forgot that mobo-net is 10M only and tried upgrading thru it, auto mode means crap.
    Obvious result was cant-do-a-thing-repair-broken-packages-fist.

With earlier added (curant)netcard and manual copies of this and that from local archive all packages are now ok but their versions are quite far from it.

Wouldn't it be nice to have distro + addenum dependencies installation possible backwards.
    Dependencies generation forwards of course.

Here's some Linux news I stumbled upon. It's interesting to me because I found the www.system76.com website a while back and realized they're a local (to me) company, and it's nice to see jobs return to the USA for a change.

Linux computer maker to move manufacturing to the U.S.: System76 explains why the company will soon make its computers in Denver.

I'm back to being a clueless Linux user again with an "obsolete" PC that my company didn't care what happened to as long as we wiped the hard drive. I'm running Ubuntu Studio and hoping some of the pre-installed scanning and photo software will help me finally scan boxes and albums of old photos. There is a bunch of audio software that might be fun to mess around with if I get an audio interface for guitar and other stuff. That's been on my "one of these days" list as well.

I'm posting this from a Dell Optiplex 9020 desktop with a 22" monitor, used keyboard and mouse, and two cheap PC speakers without a subwoofer. Total cost to me: $0.00.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Go to Debian 11. It's so pretty!
    acket.

Administrator
    Dig it, sounds like a good use of the box. I think I'd only think about adding more RAM, 'cause that's always a concern when dealing with photos.