Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux (Ubuntu, etc)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Linux (Ubuntu, etc)

Anyone gotten the new release of Ubuntu to see a Windows DNLA server?
    Whoomah!

Can't say that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Can't say that I have.
    I'm thinking it's a Windows problem a the moment, since I can see the directory on the network from the Ubuntu computer but not mount it (heyoh) despite Windows stating that it's shared. I can open my /pics directory, but not /music or /movies. Go figure.
    Whoomah!

No, but my wife's WinXP laptop is so old and slow and loaded with crap-ware that I am going to reformat the drive and install Ubuntu, as I did a couple years ago on an old desktop PC. I hope it works as well for the laptop as it did on the PC.

Any specific reason you're doing DLNA and not samba?

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Any specific reason you're doing DLNA and not samba?
    Because that's what worked before I upgraded to the new release of Ubuntu.
    Whoomah!

Hmm, maybe I just need to import the folder rather than looking for it using DLNA.
    Whoomah!

ROFL.

I would give samba a go, personally, it works very well these days (has for a long time) and you don't run into the weird DLNA compatibility issues. It should also reduce the load on the server and the network, since you relocate the heavy decoding to the client. Since your client is smart (running Linux, as opposed to a TV) there really isn't a reason to not do the decoding there. That is the most efficient. There isn't much Linux won't decode these days. That would be my approach. It should just work, pretty much like magic. I have never tried PC to PC DLNA. In fact, I hate DLNA, and wouldn't try it unless it was a last resort.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    What tsg said.

I've been running Ubuntu for a while now on an old laptop - maybe a year or so. I didn't realize how much I liked it until recently when I stopped to think about it when a co-worker and good friend who is from Europe and heavily into European soccer/football talked about going to sketchy Romanian websites to stream games online, and worrying about viruses and such. I brought my laptop to work one day so he could click around on it and experience the Ubuntu 14.04 OS, however briefly, to realize that even a caveman can do it.

At home we have computers running Windows 8, Mac OS System 8 - and yes, I know that's the computer equivalent of listening to albums on reel-to-reel tapes, but it still works! - whatever OS iPads run, and Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the easiest of all, the adblock add-on in Firefox works beautifully, and as I told my friend who apparently has one "honest" computer at home running Windows XP and one sort of "exploratory" computer for European soccer, and probably pr0n and who knows what else from eastern Europe: there is NOTHING I've wanted to do with a computer (and an old computer, too) that I haven't been able to do with Ubuntu. My kids have played games on the Ubuntu laptop and it doesn't give them pause for even a second. They just know how to work it.

My scanner, printer, cheap-ass flip phone, digital camera, old-school digital video camera, USB flash drives, wife's iPhone, and everything else I've plugged into it via USB is immediately recognized and useable.

Okay, maybe it won't kick ass while crunching huge Excel spreadsheets with multi-hundred megabyte spreadsheets chock full o' formulae, but I can't see using anything else for my home needs.

Signed,

A Satisfied Customer