Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux (Ubuntu, etc)

I'm going to try this.

It's a shame this guy doesn't speak English.

Spoiler:

Meh, just look at the pictures!

Also, be sure you have the correct battery - most are 3v, so you're fine there, but a 2032 is thicker than a 2016 and may not fit where you need it.

Of course, you'll be dismantling the laptop to get to the existing battery, so you can pseudo-check it with a voltmeter before going further, and you'll be totally discombobulating the existing battery to steal its wires, so you'll get to see what it is before buying the replacement.

I am assuming you have a heat gun - because if you don't it's gotta be cheaper to just buy a ready-made battery than a heat gun. Although, heat guns are super fun to have around, so there's that. Still, having a hard time believing heat gun + battery + heat shrink + solder is cheaper than an ebay battery in the first place, but I've never actually priced it out. Whatevs, still a fun project.

Yeah, I have a heat gun. For all my apparent online cluelessness about all things, I have been collecting and using tools for a long time. I have a couple voltmeters, too, and one that has been somehow working since the 1980s without a new battery. I figure the devil will make me answer for that someday.

I checked ebay and found one (1) battery for this old laptop. Seller wanted $36 for a USED battery. No thanks.

I called HP and they wanted $49 for a battery, but they said it was back-ordered, which I assume means they'll build one to order, but not until I give them my credit card number.

Dude with good sales skills and the really deep voice at the local Batteries Plus store has the battery I need, and I'll get the conductive tape and heat-shrink stuff at my preferred old-school Ace Hardware store between there and there. I started to ride my bike over there this morning but other priorities got in my way.

But as this is the Ubuntu/Linux thread, let me just add that I giggle with glee each time I fire up my old Dell laptop in the basement and enjoy the Ubuntu OS. My wife uses Windows 8, which I find intolerable with all the pop-ups and various bullshit that she's always asking me to fix.

Ubuntu is so simple, and that's why I want to get a battery for the HP laptop, so my son and I can have two laptops in the basement and enjoy a 24-7 LAN Open Arena deathmatch.

The HP laptop was my mother's but she wants a tablet now. I've advised my parents to buy a refurbished iPad from Apple, and an external keyboard, and some kind of a cover for the glass top of the iPad. We have two of those, and they work well. Mom just wants to be able to sit in her chair and surf the web and I think an iPad is the right device for that.

Edited to add: one of these days, I'm going to beg for help from you guys to build a box to run ubuntu studio. I'd enjoy the music recording capability and my daughter needs some kind of tablet/drawing thing. She's going to put Cam out of a job.

https://ubuntustudio.org/
    Last edited by George; May 9th, 2016 at 07:00 PM.

Might have to give this a shot if/when I get some free time between semester end and summer digging

ArcheOS - The Archaeological Linux Distribution
    -Formerly Stabulator

Windows 8??? Get her on 10, stat!

Word.
    Whoomah!

Yes. Microsoft needs all your personal information.

Anyway, he's proposing to throw away Windows entirely. And if he still has its license, he can try Wine, and possibly VirtualBox.

Hey SportWagon, and any other Ubuntu experts - any thoughts on running the Ubuntu Studio OS on a 6th Gen i7 system? I'm hearing there may be some incompatibilities and a wise friend suggested I ask here.

I'm this close to buying a new (or refurbed but recent) Dell and don't want to end up with buyer's remorse, if there is solid evidence of problems. The ubuntustudio.org website has a hardware section, but I find it rather vague.

Thanks.

Our standard wisdom where I am is now that Intel has become more easily compatible than AMD for Ubuntu/Linux graphics drivers.

14.04 or 16.04?
    Last edited by SportWagon; May 10th, 2016 at 08:42 AM.

Glad to hear that. Thanks.

I have my eye on Ubuntu Studio 16.04.