Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer help

Computer help

So, my laptop won't let me log on.? I tried running avg and Ccleaner in safe mode to no avail.

Ideas?

IMG_20141217_193101.jpg

Can you log on as a different user? Then restore it to previous time state and then do all your trojan scanning...

Or just wait for TSG to come in with some real advice.

No, I can't find an option to log on as a different user or guest.

I scanned everything from safe mode... It didn't find anything harmful.

Usually this is a boot error and a reboot fixes it, but if the issue survives reboots then your profile is probably corrupted.

You have a couple options, including trying a system restore and deleting or renaming the profile. I'd try the restore option first, because it costs nothing. In Safe Mode, click the Start button and type "system restore" in the search field and click the System Restore option from the search results. Check Show More Restore Points and click Next. Hopefully you've got a few recent restore points - select one that is before the issue first appeared, and preferably one that is many days or a week before that. Click Next and then Finish. Windows will thrash around for a while then reboot. Hopefully when it comes back up you can log on. If not, it's time for more drastic measures.

Thanks! I'll try that tonight.

Did not work. :-( There was only one restore point. What are the more drastic measures?
    You said I can try deleting the profile or renaming it?

Yep, renaming the profile. You can try dong it in Safe Mode but usually that does not work. You will probably need to get to the recovery console (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...n-windows.html) What you're looking for is a folder under c:\users that is your username. You need to rename that folder to something else - do make a note of its original name in case this doesn't work. It may not work, but it's also a zero-cost attempt and worth a go. Be aware that if this works you'll lose any settings tied to your login. You can still recover data (documents, pictures, etc.) but things like Firefox preferences will go away. After this, you're into the registry.

Thanks for the help by the way.

Did you get back in?

Yeah, I had to create a new profile and copy stuff from the old one. It just took a while for me to get around to it because of the holidays , and other goings on.

Still not sure what happened... it was just corrupted I guess?