Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Smart Home crap, or something. (Was: Echo.)

I'm thinking about an Echo Silver. It looks like just what I need.

Administrator
    Other Nest is installed, so now we're all smart-homed out on the HVAC front. I have no idea how we'll verify if it's actually saving us money, but it's still pretty fun to have.

Let us know how it works out. I've been hesitant with it because of reports that they've had units get confused and run away on full heat and stuff.

Administrator
    Our upstairs one did a runaway fan all night the first night. For some reason, it actually had a Fan Schedule set up in the app, from 10PM to 8AM, to run the fan constantly. Took a while and a few google searches to find it. Other than that, so far it's been very good about maintaining temperature, I'd say better than the Honeywell dumb ones we had previously.

I just don't want to come home from a long day of work in July and find my dog baked into the couch.

I still am not sold on those. Most people have a set 8-5 work schedule. You know when you will be leaving and coming home most of the time.

How are these better than the week/weekend programmable ones?

An app instead of button presses. But unless the app lets you set the week/weekend schedule automatically, instead of "learning it" after you manually adjust it every day for a while, I'm not interested.

Also, I'm mostly not interested period, because I don't have a problem setting the week/weekend schedule once and then only touching the thing again to switch between heat, cool and off as the seasons transition.
    Get that weak shit off my track

With any reasonably modern thermostat, you don't have to manage heat vs. cool - they are smart enough to just hit a target temp. Ours turns on heat til it's 62, and cool til it's 78, and ignores everything in the middle. Haven't touched it in a year and have no plans to touch it any time soon.

Administrator
    The Nest does do the "learning" thing for the first week, which my wife has been pretty diligently following the same set schedule in an effort to get it to do what she wants. They also have a way to manually set a schedule and tweak the one it generates for you, so you can set it on your own as well.

I was having fun looking at the usage history for the last week. It's interesting how much more the one upstairs has to run than the downstairs. I'm sorta torn on the skylight we have - I really like the fact that it adds a lot of light to the upstairs, but it's clear that it also causes a massive increase in heat.

Have you looked into a coating? It's not 100%, but there are several light in/heat out films these days... seems like someone would make something suitable for a skylight.