Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Smart Home crap, or something. (Was: Echo.)

Administrator
    I have not, but now that I know of this I am going to.

Like:

https://www.windowtintla.com/control...t-window-film/

There is also this:

http://www.liquisolusa.com/

and similar.

You could also look into a retractable shade.

https://www.blinds.com/p/blindscom-m...kylight/518208

We have one particularly dark room in the house and I'd really love to add a skylight... but I don't want the heat in summer. I've been casually looking at a complete approach for like 5 years.

Administrator
    That's really helpful, thanks!

I was looking over the history charts for the upstairs Nest and was surprised to see that it didn't kick on all that much during the day. I expected it to still do that, and the ambient temperature in the room its in was still only hovering around 78 by the time I got home. Wife likes having it cool at night though, so it runs for a while just before we go to bed. So cooling off the upstairs by lessening the heat through the skylight may still help so it has to run less in the evenings, but I am pretty surprised nonetheless at how little it runs during the day.

Administrator
    Rats, the Window Tint LA folks said they can't do the tint on domed skylights.

Oh, it's domed? That's definitely a dealbreaker for film. I would look at the Liquisol. I have never used it, but I've not casually read anything bad about it. It keeps coming up in my research. Motorized blinds are also an option of course. More expensive, but assuming you don't have too much area to cover maybe not a bad approach - being able to essentially "dim" the skylight on demand seems like an attractive feature to me. Certainly a value-add for the house.

Administrator
    Yeah, it's not a ton of area. Eyeballing I'd say it's four feet by four feet. We're definitely looking at the liquisol too, and another UV filter/diffuser kind deal.

We only know so much about the installation of the skylight as after we bought the place, we found out that the owners basically snuck around the HOA and had it installed, so there's not a lot of documentation lying around.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/8/16...icing-ces-2018

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/8/16...bl-lg-ces-2018

Google has introduced its platform for Echo-Show-style assistant+screen devices, called Google Smart Display. Pictured below are Lenovo's two devices, which have a groundbreaking feature: a mechanical shutter to cover up the camera.

Google isn’t talking much about the full technical details of what that screen can do, but it’s not just going to be an Android tablet slapped onto a speaker. Instead, it’ll be a full voice interface that just happens to also be able to display stuff — just like the Echo Show. It’s technically running on Android Things, a variant of Android that’s custom-designed for IoT.

You won’t be able to run Android apps on it, it’s basically a web-like view that just sits on top of Android Things. It presents its answers in a card-like interface — though based on what we’ve seen so far Google hasn’t totally fleshed out how everything will work for every question. It seems close to ready, though. Which probably helps to explain why these speakers are coming later this year, not right away.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Speaking of third party Google Assistant devices:

Nice sound, fun lights, splashproof, dustproof, proprietary and USB-C charging. It's nice to be able to take it to parties or seldom used rooms and have music and questions answered.

Oh yeah, forgot about this topic...

I now have:
    - Lenovo Smart Display (Google Assistant)
    - 3 Google Home Minis
    - Philips Hue Hub w/ 12 lights
    - Nest Thermostat E
    - Samsung SmartThings Hub, with smart switch, and door sensors

Everything has been fantastic, and easy other than SmartThings so far. SmartThings requires a bit of "programming" to make it do the things I want to do, so I haven't gotten into it yet and I'm not sure if I ever will. Hue and Nest integrate really well with Home, and now that the Google Home App has home control buttons, I don't really have use for SmartThings (originally got it because I wanted control all in one app, which Google didn't offer up until last month).

Just started with Automating lights. I got some GE bulbs for my fan lights in two rooms, thinking they were compatible with my Smartthings hub. Turns out, they are some other, strange way of working. They must have some kind of Wifi, but it's odd.

First of all you need the included wifi smart plug up and running to set them up, though marketing says you should be able to connect straight from the phone. And with out the plug, you can't control them through Google Home, but you can through the C by GE app. I don't get why that is. If the app can see them, why can't Google, which is going through the same exact account/network? Meh. Might return them for some real, Z-wave/Zigbee ones from Sengled, which are about the same price (but no included smart plug).

Good for people that don't have a hub, but I do have one.

I've also ordered some recessed lighting bulbs (BR30) from amazon that are the Sengled ones that work with my hub. We'll see if those work out better before making a decision on the fan lights.

They're all just soft white, I have no need for RGB in room lighting, especially at the price premium. I got 8 bulbs and two smart plugs for $70 from Best Buy pre-black friday, which actually cost me $0 since I had a bunch of store credit from rewards after the PC upgrade.

I want to figure out a way to when I run my "I'm on a Trip" routine in google, to start an automation that turns certain lights on based on a daily schedule. Might be able to do it with Smartthings? I can't see anything in Google Home for it though.

Speaking of Smartthings, I still have to use the classic app to control my Thermostat, because for some reason the new version of the app (came out about 1.5 years ago maybe?) doesn't work with my Alarm.com thermostat that came with the apartment. Really annoying to have to have two versions of the app. And only the new one shows shortcuts on the pull down drawer of my S10+.

And in Home, they don't let you group lights, which is odd since they let you group speakers. Anyway, I had to make "Virtual" rooms for the fans so I can control the four bulbs together.

Anyway, I now have:
    Garage Control (Nexx Home NX100, no native Home control, but I can tell google to tell NEXX to do open/close via Wifi)
    Thermostat (Alarm.com, needs Smartthings classic, can control in Home through that link)
    Door Lock (Works on new Smartthings, can control through Home)
    Smart Plugs (No Smartthings, works by link in Home to C by GE via WiFi)
    Lights (No Smartthings, needs C by GE link to work in Home, but only seems to work when Plug is plugged in. Can control through C without plug)

So it's all a total mess at this point...
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; November 23rd, 2019 at 07:44 PM.