Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart Home crap, or something. (Was: Echo.)

It's just Google Now in a standalone device, it wouldn't be tough, but I think they'd rather just put all the tools out there and let other people figure it out. I'm basically doing the same thing with my 360, but it works wherever I go and with whatever speakers I connect the phone to. My friend and I were driving around Sunday, she would request a song and I would just say "Ok Google, play Locked Out of Heaven" to my watch and it would start playing in the car.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Just got an email that Echo now supports control of WeMo and Hue devices. "Alexa turn the lights on" is a reality. I am honestly shocked about how quickly they are developing this product - it's fantastic!

Bought some WeMo outlets today. "Alexa, turn the living room lights on" when you walk in the front door is amazeballs. I feel like Capt. Jean-Luc Picard.

I continue to love Alexa and last night had a particular experience that I think is indicative of the whole thing...

We were watching "We're the Millers" and commenting that Jennifer Aniston is completely unbelievable as a stripper. That led to a conversation about Friends, and I said, "Alexa, how long was Friends on the air?" She could not answer that question, so I rephrased. "Alexa, how long was the TV show Friends on the air?" No answer for that either. Finally, I said, "Alexa, tell me about the TV show Friends" which she answered with, "Friends was a TV show that aired from 1994 until 2004, blah blah blah." I got my answer, I just needed the right question. Bottom line is that Alexa can read you the Wikipedia article, but cannot scan the Wikipedia article for specific content and provide just that. It's kind of too bad, but doesn't really get in the way of anything.

Whoomah!

What.

BMW autocrossing friend is working for a startup in home automation--their gig is to put together an app that talks to all your various automated things so that you can do fun geo-fencing stuff, or scheduling, or whatever.

They've just integrated with Echo: https://www.stringify.com/product-an...-amazon-alexa/
    Whoomah!

That's pretty cool - sort of like IFTT, but a little more powerful. I need to check that out in more depth!

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    That's pretty cool - sort of like IFTT, but a little more powerful. I need to check that out in more depth!
    Definitely seems like something you would be into.
    Whoomah!

Echo can now summon an Uber, or order a pizza from Dominos.

Effingham amazing.