Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Home Brew Gurus

Glad to see people sticking with hobbies and extracurricular activities. I seem to make less and less time for mine lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Inside is good except for trying to get a water source for the immersion chiller.
    No-chill!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The fact that we kept having beers come out flat pretty much took the wind completely out of our sails
    Yeah that's a bit more difficult. Were you bottle priming? If so, how much sugar in what volume? And do you use detergent to clean anything?

Administrator
    It's been like 5 years so I'm pretty hazy on details, especially things like amounts of sugar. We generally put priming sugar in a bottling bucket, then siphoned the wort into that, then bottled from there. The amount of sugar would presumably have been what was called for in the recipe we were following.

Yeah that's what I do too - it's called "bulk priming". I usually dissolve the sugar first so that it mixes well, and use 6-7g/L depending on style.

I guess another cause could be bottles not sealing properly?

Administrator
    I figured the main thing I could do wrong with that priming is not mixing it together well enough, but then I'd think you'd expect some bottles to be ultra-carbonated while others were flat, but they were all flat. Similarly, it's hard for me to imagine that I just managed to screw up capping every single bottle, but I guess that's possible.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I decided if I want to give it another go, I'm kegging next time. bottles are such a pain in the ass. I found myself using bigger and bigger bottles each time so there were less to fuck with.

Of course, I won't be doing it at all as long as I'm in an apartment....

Well, I got a second and a third out of the four beers that I entered. Pretty happy with that One of them got 42.25 which is a very high score. Another of the beers totally bombed though On the judges' feedback, one of them speculated that it must've been a bad bottle and I suspect he must be right.

Administrator
    It's not home brewing, but one interesting thing happened out here. Epic Brewing from I believe Salt Lake City, Utah, makes an imperial stout with a bunch of variants called Big Bad Baptist. Big, tastes like coffee/chocolate, that sorta thing.

All of them lately have been sour. From what I hear, the entire batch this year was infected. I've reported that to a couple of the local stores but they still keep them on the shelves. I'm a little surprised the brewery hasn't tried to recall them.