Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Toyota Corolla CE. 4,860 miles.

He's not *my* mechanic...my mother-in-law takes her car to him.
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

With that low an odometer reading, most mechanics would be loath to say you need to spend $2000 on this car for upkeep.

Lets face it, most people would think the mechanic was trying to rip you off.

I reckon only the oil was changed.

But that is poor service, because when the belt snaps and the engine is busted, where do you think that discussion is going to go?

I'm not in disagreement.

I'm simply pointing out that most people will think a mechanic is trying to cheat them when the mechanic says they should get $2000 of work done to an engine with only 7000 miles. There's no argument if we can agree on this fundamental point.

A good mechanic would explain that the rubber components age and deteriorate, whether they are used or not, and recommend changing them.

I've tried to sell tires to people who had tires that were 10 or more years old. "But it's been sitting in the garage for the last twelve years, and my dad put new tires on it before he had his stroke, so how can you say we need to replace tires that are still obviously unused?"

That is the reaction most people have.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    I'm not in disagreement.

I'm simply pointing out that most people will think a mechanic is trying to cheat them when the mechanic says they should get $2000 of work done to an engine with only 7000 miles. There's no argument if we can agree on this fundamental point.

A good mechanic would explain that the rubber components age and deteriorate, whether they are used or not, and recommend changing them.

I've tried to sell tires to people who had tires that were 10 or more years old. "But it's been sitting in the garage for the last twelve years, and my dad put new tires on it before he had his stroke, so how can you say we need to replace tires that are still obviously unused?"

That is the reaction most people have.

Totally in agreement. In which case the tech should do as you and so few others do, teach.

75% of people walk before you can even get to that. The ones who stay have a look of incredulity on their faces and only a few grudgingly come to accept what you say.

That's my experience.

As I have learned in since I have started Nursing, it is all in the delivery. Start with the education from the minute they walk in the front door.

You'll soon learn that some want to hear the doctor say exactly the same thing you said. Ask me how I know.

One of the supervisors now makes it a point to ask me what our policy is, whereupon I repeat what I had just said to the customer.

Yeah, my old mechanic used to complain about that. It's a tough balance between winning the job and winning the customer and very often the two approaches aren't the same. People are pretty dumb and even when you take the opportunity to really invest in a person's problems it's unusual they'll retain any of the knowledge you impart. I sympathize with mechanics who stick to the at-hand facts and don't venture into the theory - eg, "this is broken" vs. "this is a potential future issue." A lot folks perceive the latter as salesmanship and don't want to hear it no matter the delivery.

I feel it. Sometimes there are real sharks, though e.g. "You really think that price is expensive for this graphics card??!!" (when I got a quote for exactly the same card from a shop 50m away for US$100+ less).