Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Toyota Corolla CE. 4,860 miles.

I trust my mechanic 100%. If he says I need anything I make it a point to get it changed out at some point.

But then again, he knows I do my own maintenance and don't need to take my car to him for oil changes, and that's mostly what he does. He only does Mercedes, and has a lift, so when he does my oil change he gives it a thorough once over. I've left my car there overnight for said oil change because he got some emergency "you've got to fix my car now" cases. He calls me, lets me know he has a situation and he knows, i'm going to tell him to take his time and simply tell me when to come and pick it up.

It's also a matter of me having been a mechanic before and knowing how it goes. And me deferring to someone who is obviously an expert in comparison to me. It's also the fact that I have been his customer for a dozen years or so and there is an element of trust in that relationship. I have some customers to whom i am now selling tires for their kids. It's a gratifying feeling to know that their custom is a direct result of my work. But really it's more about having a customer who is willing to listen and engage in the process, rather than come in saying "I need the cheapest tire in X size."

Is that engine even an interference design? If not, snapping the timing belt will cause a breakdown but no actual damage.

I don't think anyone makes non-interference engines anymore.

However, in retrospect I am pretty sure that generation Corolla used the 1ZZ, which has a timing chain!

All in all, I'd be selling this car. People pay ridiculous money for low mileage Hondas and Toyotas.

I would too. I'd buy a much shittier car that will learn a kid a lesson or two and pocket five grand.

Too bad there isn't an old Integra kicking around...

Audible chuckle on the Integra comment. But this was my son's great-grandfather's car, and they were close (basically a surrogate grandfather who lived close by), and my mother-in-law gifted it to us, so no chance in hell of selling it.

As soon as my mother-in-law gets over her pneumonia, I'll start asking questions about the work that was done.
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

Well, no harm in giving a kid a nice car. Maybe sneak out every once in a while and deflate a tire or stick a raccoon in it, just to similar an age-appropriate beater experience.

Yeah, giving a teenager a car whose only value in the world is the fact that it's pristine is just not right. But I get the sentimental value, so maybe he'll be good to it.

Is it at least a manual transmission?

Nope, automatic. And it's not pristine - it's got some scuffs and scratches where it was parked by feel in the garage during its original stint on the road. Going to experiment with some rubbing compound because it looks mostly like it's the paint from the garage frame. My body shop guy told me to wipe some lacquer thinner across it and then follow it immediately with a dry rag, but wouldn't rubbing compound be a safer bet?
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid