Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Rolex 24

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Am I the only one that didn't know about the new "slow zone" rules?

http://sportscar365.com/wec/new-safe...mans-revealed/
    It's been talked about on Midweek Motorsport for quite a while now. A zonal version of the Dubai 24H Code 60 and N24 yellow flag areas as I understand it.

I think that can of worms may have been opened if Porsche is giving teams running year old equipment the kits to upgrade them to current equipment.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I think that can of worms may have been opened if Porsche is giving teams running year old equipment the kits to upgrade them to current equipment.
    Well.. Porsche introduced updates to the current GTE RSR at the last race of the year... therefore making those upgrades eligible for this year. They essentially ran this years car in one race last year, so they got around those rules.

Translation: They put new updates on their old car, so technically it's still an old car even if it's just like the new car?
    Incorrect translation. The car ran last year, therefore eligible, in last years trim... which is the same as this years...

Ah, ok. I misunderstood the loophole they used. So in the future, everyone should use some version of their new car in the last Pro race, and then the next year Pro and Am can be step by step.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; January 16th, 2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Porsche did it by the books... a car is allowed one evolution of a homologation if it's done within the first year of said homologation.

Larbre running a C7, a car that hasn't even turned a wheel in the WEC, as an AM car is not at all the same thing.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    Basically Larbre just wants a waiver to get around the rule.

Of course, there is nothing stopping a team from running the C6.Rs either, there's plenty of them out there. GTLM is just too expensive for most teams to compete in against the factories.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I guess they were focusing on the US market?
    Here's one of the comments from another board:
    Quote Originally Posted by mike
    Corvette Racing doesn't want customer cars or Corvettes in GTD as it'll "muddy"
    the marketing water for the GTLM program. That's also the reason why you don't
    see customer C6R's racing in the ALMS the last few years, but they sell old cars
    to privateers in europe.

They got close to changing that right before the
    merger was announced when a GTC gentleman was testing C6R's with Corvette Racing
    because IMSA was planning to create a GT-Am class for 2013.

Callaway is
    authorized to build the GT3 version of the C7R for FIA GT3 races, but I've been
    told that IMSA will not homologate it to run in GTD (due to Corvette
    Racing).
    Reply from another poster that I think sums up a little of the fan frustration:
    That's goofy.

Not fer nuthin but when I see a full-on factory effort
    achieve success at that level I'm not all that impressed. With the rescources
    available, they damned well oughta be.

But if you and your buddies were
    able to buy a GT3 spec Corvette and went out and were successful that would mean
    something to me.
    Whoomah!

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    The Rolex Series Camaros are still eligible for GTD, but I have a feeling GM quietly told Stevenson to let that program end.

The last time Corvette had direct competition from another Corvette was Pacific Coast Motorsports running an old C5-R in the last years of the GT1 class. The team had zero support from GM.

There was also the case of Lou Giglotti's GT2 Corvette that GM snuffed before Corvette moved into the GT2 class.
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

If a quality team came along, they probably would consider allowing them to race in IMSA with a C7R. But, the odds of such a thing are incredibly small. For practical purposes, they are right. However, you can buy a Corvette DP... anybody can. I'm not sure about the comment about the factory budget and expecting success... everyone is factory or semi-factory. Stevenson was told to park the Camaro... or more specifically, all funding was pulled from that effort. I can imagine the GTD thing is about control though. If they choose to run GTD here, I would imagine it will be a P&M car, not a Callaway. Also Lou raced against the GT2 Corvette Racing team for a season, and actually outqualified them once. What was snuffed, was Lou going to LM, as the car only had ALMS homologation.