Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One-(or two-)Paragraph Game Reviews

Elder Scrolls Online-Tamriel Unlimited, still worth playing over a year after its release. They have also been releasing DLC on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Rocket League: Still amazing. hmu, dodint on PSN.
    Will do! Fair warning though, my son likes playing this game and it might be him logged in as me.

Does ESO require a monthly subscription? I like Elder Scrolls, but honestly haven't even looked into this one.

On January 21, 2015, it was announced that an active subscription would no longer be needed to play the game effective March 17, 2015.[30] Aside from the initial game price, there will be an optional subscription called "ESO Plus" which grants free access to all current and future downloadable content (DLC) and a monthly allotment of 1500 Crowns, one of the in-game currencies, as long as the player stays subscribed. The DLC will also be available for separate purchase in the Crown Store. Additionally, the optional subscription grants various perks that allow players to progress slightly faster than a free player.[31]
    Get that weak shit off my track

Cool. Thanks. I guess I could've done that.

The ESO Plus is $14.99/mo.

Skyrim Special Edition comes out at the end of this month.

Another first-person-shooter for me: Toxikk, on Steam. $15.00 for the full version, but they say you can earn everything in the free version eventually if you don't want to pay to have it all at once. I went ahead and unlocked the full version this weekend for so much less than the $60 I keep thinking of spending on Doom. There is apparently a single-player campaign, which is what helped make my decision to buy. I'm still in the first single-player training mission, but I can see there are more to unlock after the first one.

The Toxikk slogan is "Frag like it's 1999", which of course refers to online deathmatch gameplay. It has modern graphics, but it's modeled after '90s and '00s shooters that were less "involved" (my word, not theirs) than current ones. I just started, so I'm that newb who gets killed every two seconds without knowing what the heck is going on yet, or even who killed me and how, but the graphics are great and the game is fun (and frustrating, as expected at first). Apparently there are vehicles too, but I haven't seen those yet in the game - only in the demo videos and screenshots.

www.toxikk.com

I'll rank it as 3.5 out of 5 flame-charred bodies for now (yes, I've found a flamethrower in the game), with the hope that it increases to 4 or more out of 5 as I become more competitive in the game (meaning I stay alive longer, hopefully).

Another game not worth its own thread, nor even a paragraph-length review:

www.monsterbreeder.com

Hours (or at least minutes) of amusement.

Old news to most of you, but new to me, and free: Urban Terror.

https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Urban Terror can be described as a Hollywood tactical shooter; somewhat realism based, but the motto is "fun over realism". This results in a very unique, enjoyable and addictive game.
    I haven't tried CTF yet but have found two good Team Deathmatch servers - Monkey's Playground TDM and ~|DN|DrunkNoobs Eagle 24/7~. Monkey's is more popular and I find players there at all times of the day and night. The server is in the UK, so my ping is high, but not too bad. The DrunkNoobs server runs one map 24/7 but it's a good one. Players at this server are extremely welcoming and helpful. This server is in Germany, so my ping is poor there too, and it seems to have players only in the evenings in Europe, which is about mid-day for me. That fits right in with my lunch break when working from home.

It's an old game and most players are deadly accurate. I often get killed by enemies I never saw. But, after a couple weeks of playing maybe 30 minutes to an hour a few times a week, I'm starting to end up in the middle of the scoreboard (number of kills) when maps end at Monkey's. The cool thing is the game launches in seconds and I can be in a server a few seconds later. There's no story to complete and no registration required (unless you want to). Just launch the game, frag 'til your keyboard and mouse can't take any more, and then walk away.

I'll give it 4.5 out of five bleeding gunshot wounds. Urban Terror is better than OpenArena and Sauerbraten, IMO.