Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerbal Space Program

Junior Potato
    Musk does a Kerbal...

https://vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK

Actually they were more successful in kerbal...

anyway building moon camp:

Junior Potato
    I had a fun and very involving day yesterday. I saw this video and decided I'd copy it, and built something very similar.

After a few false starts (i.e. explosions) I had a very rough mun lander and command module in orbit, which I used to practice docking for the first time. I witnessed an eclipse on one of the early test launches! That other smoke trail is my first stage which I set free during a testing mishap.

Same flight, but without the burden of atmosphere to dim the view. Pretty cool.

As soon as I learned to dock, I got to building a proper mun lander, and did something about some solar panels because my docking test vehicle ran out of power. Interestingly, the RCS thrusters still work without electricity, so I could do a retro burn to de-orbit the capsule. The stack on the munbound rocket featured a very wobbly top half, where the lander is mounted to the 2nd stage. It made it after adding more support struts (not boosters - although I had to add boosters to the first stage. I love boosters).

So I made it safely to Mun, couldn't help myself as I planned to do a docking test flight with the lander without actually landing. And yeah made it to the surface in tip-top condition. Here's one Kerbal on the precipice of a big-arse huge gnarly crater. What a spectacular game!

It's not the first time I've made it to Mun. Here's an impromptu munbase that I 'built', because really if you're there for a long time it's a base isn't it?

This is the first time I plan to make it back from Mun. The only reason I stopped playing last night was after I quicksaved my place on the surface just before I was to teach myself how to rendezvous with a spacecraft in-orbit, then my laptop overheated and crashed. Hah!

So as soon as I get this post over with, I'll be firing up KSP again and learning to not die because I ran out of fuel in space over Mun's lowlands. Literally all I know about orbital rendezvous is that you must be pointing in the same direction and that the inbound vehicle should be orbiting lower than the target vehicle, presumably to a) not waste fuel and b) have a faster orbit so that you can catch up to the target vehicle at some stage. Godspeed kerbins!
    Last edited by Rare White Ape; January 27th, 2015 at 09:49 PM.

OMG... I'm afraid to download this as I think I might just disappear from society for a few weeks if I do.

Junior Potato
    Yeah. It's a time sink. The Kerbal Wiki has actual mathematics and rocket science.
    http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Terminology

I spent hours last night just figuring out how to rendezvous with the command module which I left in orbit. It's really hard. Good thing you can F5/F9 to reload on the fly.

I built a really good but simple rocket a few days ago and sent a one-man mission to Minmus, which has fuck all gravity. I figured the low gravity would suit a simple single stage land-and-return (not including staging during take-off from T-0) except the legs of the final stage are a few feet shorter than the rocket nozzle on the bottom.

Ho-ho!

It landed OK, but on an angle, and then fell over while my guy was on EVA. I was also 2.4km from the lander, because I overshot big time on one of those fun jetpack powered trips but I ran out of propellant, so I spent a few minutes trudging back only to find that the lander fell over on it's crew hatch and I couldn't get back in.

Rescue mission time!

I've sent a slightly modified version of the Mun rocket, this time with better bracing around the top half to stop the dodgy oscillations while under acceleration, and some parachutes on the lander body, just in case I could get enough velocity on leaving the small moon to not have to worry about another pesky rendezvous. As it turns out, I learned enough about orbital manoeuvres last night to get my landing site to within just 335m of the stricken crew member.

Now it's just a matter of planting some flags and walking the whole way to safety.

yea...fuck rendezvous. Get Mechjeb and have it do the actual docking...

Junior Potato
    I haven't watched all of this yet, but....

Fuck me.

I like how the lil dude rides out re-entry with no protection.
    Whoomah!