Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The hills are on fire

Junior Potato
    It takes a while to burn a trunk of a tree right through, particularly the hard dense wood of a gum. It'll still be good only an inch under the burnt outer layer, and they can usually sprout from there.

A lot of Australian species have evolved to handle fire, and some ecosystems require it for survival. There are even areas on the Whitsunday islands (Great Barrier Reef) that evolved to adjust to fire that was introduced by aboriginals over 60,000 years ago, but since the time of European settlement those tribes aren't around to keep up their burning, so the parks and wildlife service have to conduct prescribed burns just to keep those areas alive.

It's common for big (2ft+) stumps to smoulder away for weeks after a big fire and cause reignition and another fire later on. And tree roots can pose a problem, they'll burn underground and start a fire on the other side of a fire break, such as a road or a waterway.

Those things are impossible to prevent, it just requires monitoring in the days and weeks after a fire. Mt Kosciusko had a fire a while ago and teams were going out for a month to keep blacking out the burned areas. They're all volunteers as well. That's a big effort.

Quote Originally Posted by speedpimp View Post
    The hills are on fire...with the sound of music!!!
    ahem

Quote Originally Posted by Rikadyn View Post
    the hills are on fire is the name of my speed metal band that only covers sound of music songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    It takes a while to burn a trunk of a tree right through, particularly the hard dense wood of a gum. It'll still be good only an inch under the burnt outer layer, and they can usually sprout from there.

A lot of Australian species have evolved to handle fire, and some ecosystems require it for survival. There are even areas on the Whitsunday islands (Great Barrier Reef) that evolved to adjust to fire that was introduced by aboriginals over 60,000 years ago, but since the time of European settlement those tribes aren't around to keep up their burning, so the parks and wildlife service have to conduct prescribed burns just to keep those areas alive.

It's common for big (2ft+) stumps to smoulder away for weeks after a big fire and cause reignition and another fire later on. And tree roots can pose a problem, they'll burn underground and start a fire on the other side of a fire break, such as a road or a waterway.

Those things are impossible to prevent, it just requires monitoring in the days and weeks after a fire. Mt Kosciusko had a fire a while ago and teams were going out for a month to keep blacking out the burned areas. They're all volunteers as well. That's a big effort.

Looks like I've started a few threads on bushfires since moving to the hills. We had to abandon ship again last night thanks to some fuckhead starting fires about 20kms from us. We're all good now but it's still pretty serious elsewhere. Rain coming this afternoon thankfully.

SoCal got burned recently too due to dry and windy conditions, but also luckily we later on have rain too.

It’s happening so frequently now at least I’m feel kinda numbed about these fires now...

Nothing on last year - but we had a fire about 15km from us yesterday. Could see the helicopters doing water bombing runs from the dam.
    Lots of long dry grass after a very wet spring. Now summer has finally hit. About a week ago it was 4C in the morning, now we are hitting 30+C

and good luck in SA!

Yeah, nothing compared to last year.

When I saw the title of this thread, all I could think of was this.