Page 82 of 279 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Stuff

I've gotten used to the turbo V6's; forgot how longer after they went out of sight that you could still clearly hear an F1 car

I think there's definitely a reasonably workable and legitimate way to get a non-US-market car into my hot little hands here in CA without worrying about smog. You can set up an LLC in Montana and be able to register cars there without having any property there.

Apparently it's MOSTLY used as a tax dodge for people buying expensive-ass cars (that explains why I see more Montana plates here than you'd expect, and they're almost always on six-figure rides), but I'd be happy to set aside some money if they go after me for sales tax and registration fees... I just want a car I can't smog without taking it to a BAR engineer and spending $10k getting it to pass. #eunoscosmo

That's how this little gem has been living in CA...

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    I think there's definitely a reasonably workable and legitimate way to get a non-US-market car into my hot little hands here in CA without worrying about smog. You can set up an LLC in Montana and be able to register cars there without having any property there.

Apparently it's MOSTLY used as a tax dodge for people buying expensive-ass cars (that explains why I see more Montana plates here than you'd expect, and they're almost always on six-figure rides), but I'd be happy to set aside some money if they go after me for sales tax and registration fees... I just want a car I can't smog without taking it to a BAR engineer and spending $10k getting it to pass. #eunoscosmo

That's how this little gem has been living in CA...
    There are a few ways to register out of state, just be sure you don't end up with an impounded car, or a car you *must* sell because it's been noticed. If you just want a Cosmo for a while, sure, why not?

If you buy a car that meets the 25 year rule in CA, you don't have to smog test it, do you?

Yep, you do. Only MY75 and older (maybe MY80, maybe, sometime soon) are exempt from testing. The 25 year rule is Federal; state laws will always supersede it.
    Last edited by thesameguy; September 22nd, 2017 at 10:05 PM.

Exactly. Eunos Cosmos are still relatively inexpensive, and I'd love to own one before they go crazy on price like everything else these days. I imagine eventually it'll be super difficult to keep up (I think they only made like 5,000 of the 20B versions total over six years) but I want to try one while I can.

I'd say go for it. Maybe set up a Eunos LLC in Montana, specializing in hard to find 20B car parts.

https://twitter.com/simmosps/status/918738681325916162 <--- open for video

If you get the "This media may contain sensitive material." click "View" It's a G rated video