Page 189 of 278 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2778

Thread: Miscellaneous Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by XHawkeye View Post
    I like this.

Had the misfortune to get a "Gutless" as a long term rental when I was in Chicago. One of the worst cars Ive ever driven. Handled like a boat, would get a low frequency bounce over sections of freeway that could make you sea sick. But at least the brakes and power were just as bad!!!
    This was 1989, so not that long after this.
    I cant remember that much about the actual car, just that we used to laugh at how bad it was and quickly got to know where the bouncing would happen. With 3 or 4 of us in the car, the passengers would all "ooohhh, aaahhh" as it went up and down.

In the summer of 1985, after my junior year of high school, I got a summer job as a Lot Boy at an Oldsmobile/AMC/Jeep/Renault dealership. It was a large dealership with two separate service departments and multiple showrooms and a body shop in back. While I rarely drove anything off the lot, I put all those cars and more through their paces at low parking lot speeds. I drove 'em all - brand new, used car inventory that had to be washed daily, and customers' cars going in and out of the service department.

Those sports versions with a bunch of stickers and maybe some different wheels made all the difference between what seemed really cool to a young guy like me and what was clearly Your Father's Oldsmobile, to quote a commercial from back then.

Speaking of fathers, I remember my Dad using a Firenza as an example of outlandish extravagance. "Don't blow your money on a Firenza! You need to be planning for the future and investing. Save your money."...and all that stuff.

I never knew if he was serious or not. I like to think he was goofing around with variations of Ferrari, but middle-aged fathers can be pretty clueless. Just ask my kids.
    Last edited by George; April 1st, 2021 at 08:38 PM.

Ah I see - mid engine.
    Looking on wikipedia it seems the US only got the 1st gen, we had these until last year. Although they went front engine a long time ago.