Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I move to Australia?

Meanwhile, in Australia...

http://digg.com/video/australia-mud-crabbing

Hmm, can't seem to get video to appear here. Anyway, it's at that link.

Per the source: "Why yes, that is an Australian dude with his entire upper body inside a hole in the mud trying to catch a massive crab."

Ahhhh that accent

Aww it was only a baby crab in the end - I was expecting something big

bringing this back from the dead...
    just in case anyone is thinking of coming here and worried that all the critters will kill you, we just let the weather do it.
    The 15 hottest places in the world today were in Australia, with temps between 49.1C (120F) and 46.1C (115F)
    Sydney was a nice calm 36C (97F) today according to my car.

So come on you "up overs" - come and visit.
    Promise you want get eaten by a crab, croc or drop bear!
    Although the spiders are really out in force at the moment.

Sounds warmer than here. I might pop in for a few days.

Meh. The hottest days there are usually due to dry winds coming from the desert so the humidity was probably like 40%.

Come on over here to Florida’s lovely gulf coast where the gulf water is basically a large hot bath tub. Temps in the high 90’s with a humidity around 75-80% which gives you a “feels like” temp of around 110-115.

I cannot convey they unpleasant feeling of jumping into 90+ degree water expecting something refreshing but getting more of a fresh hot piss sensation.

Only gators, snakes, mosquitoes and fire ants to worry about though. Snakes only in rural areas. Gators could be in your backyard pool in the city

Refer to Monty Python sketch...”You were lucky! We used to live, all 150 of us....”
    Last edited by JoeW; January 16th, 2019 at 07:28 AM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Meh. The hottest days there are usually due to dry winds coming from the desert so the humidity was probably like 40%.

Come on over here to Florida’s lovely gulf coast where the gulf water is basically a large hot bath tub. Temps in the high 90’s with a humidity around 75-80% which gives you a “feels like” temp of around 110-115.

I cannot convey they unpleasant feeling of jumping into 90+ degree water expecting something refreshing but getting more of a fresh hot piss sensation.

Only gators, snakes, mosquitoes and fire ants to worry about though. Snakes only in rural areas. Gators could be in your backyard pool in the city

Refer to Monty Python sketch...”You were lucky! We used to live, all 150 of us....”
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post

Yeah if I want humid and crocs Ill head north...
    and in terms of close to equator - none of the mainland USA is inside the tropics! About 1/3 of Australia is (although much of that is desert and not technically tropical climate). Closer even than Hawaii (or anywhere in Mexico). Latitude - Darwin is 12S, Honolulu is 21N (Tampa is 28N and is "humid subtropical climate", and Tampa has never hit 100F)
    Ah - both Sydney and Tampa have the same climate classification - Cfa.

Yeah todays humidity in Sydney is 66%, but its often much higher and hot, followed by massive storms and it cools. But we are in a run of 5 days of these really high temps, so the humidity is down a bit. Oh the weekend is going to be in the 70+% range.
    So its not really dry here.

Actually interesting comparing record high and low temps of Tampa v Sydney.
    Tampa record range is 18F (-8C) to 99F (37C)
    Sydney range is 114F (46C) to 36F (2C) - never had below freezing in the city (I do at my place, maybe once a year, saw -2C this year with a bit of frost)

Yeah the temps can’t really be compared because your highs come at much lower humidity. Look up how humidity affects the feels like temps. A 97 degree day here has a feels like of around 107 assuming our hottest days are at a humidity of 70-80%. Whereas a 105 degree day there has a feels like of 95 if your hottest days are at a 40-50% humidity.

Being next to a huge saltwater bathtub with no real current or “ocean breeze” like on the east coast of Florida really makes it muggy and oppressive. My uncle lives in Tucson Arizona and I was visiting awhile ago and it was 114 there and everyone was freaking out and it just didn’t compare to 90 degree day here.

But I will say the desert heat is deceiving...you might not seem to sweat as much because the air sucks the moisture off right away. But here you might walk out of the house in the morning and it’s 85 but in 5 minutes you are soaking wet from sweat. It’s just ridiculous.

Because of the dead Gulf of Mexico water if we were on the equator it would be unlivable I suspect.

Of course my observation about Sydney are internet based since I’ve never been. Although Australia is first on my list of places I’d like to go

I watched a series on Netflix called Instant Hotel based in Australia and it’s hilarious watching the participants trash certain areas of Australia because it’s different from where they live.
    Last edited by JoeW; January 16th, 2019 at 04:03 PM.